Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04TL abused new Lexus es330

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 04TL abused new Lexus es330

Friend of mine just called me on his cell phone,all excited because he raced a new Lexus es330 off the Light and blew
his doors off.. Good Job daNN!

es330 has nothing on the new TL..
Old 12-11-2003, 03:54 PM
Intermediate

That's a given since ES330 is only 225 & no SS mode.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a no contest, the ES is a wet noodle luxury boat. We need some stories about M3s and mustang GTs, get some real adrenalin!
Old 12-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Troublemaker

i believe that a good driver in a GT will beat an 04 TL because of the electronic throttle on the tl, it seems to dog it in the lower rpm's too much...

I do think that if you raced enough Gt's you would beat one because some GT driver's arent good enough to keep traction...
Old 12-11-2003, 05:28 PM

Your right, the ES has none of this that the TL has Summary List of Early build Flaws

6MT

1. Popping out of gear (mostly 1st) (some replaced 1st gear, main and counter shaft)
2. Difficulty getting tranny into 2nd and 4th gears

5AT/NAV and 6MT

1. Vibrations at 35 and 55
2. Memory in Seats lost for no apparent reason
3. software upgrade for misfires instead of coil pack replacement
4. Glove box rattle, warped or misaligned.
5. Re-calibrated Crankshaft position sensor
6. stuck thermostat valve
7. Hood misaligned
8. trim areas not flush
9. door handle inserts missing
10. rattle in sun visor housing when open or closed
11. ‘headliner’ not flush with trim
12. ‘parcel tray’ rattle with loud music near subwoofer (never heard it called the parcel tray)
13. ‘click’ when applying brakes (hear this in other Hondas)
14. Plastic ‘wiper’ inside door frame scratches tinted windows (need felt)
15. Sulfur or rotten egg smell with hard acceleration
16. Steering wheel alignment off on delivery and also after delivery and driving
17. MID flashing at high RPMs
18. Butt wrinkle/padding in seats
19. Miles to empty not accurate in MID – possibly gas guage not accurate (fewer posts on this)
20. Engine shifting to overdrive too soon for engine speed
21. Parking brake out of adjustment – too loose (car uses gear instead of the e-brake=parking brake) up or down hill.
22. Carpet out of drivers door trim
23. A-piller sticking out from trim/buckling/bubling
24. Center dash speaker cover rattle
25. Other isolated trim issues (one time occurances)
26. Rear quarter panel where window meets trunk – WELD Mark
27. Driver side wind noise
28. NO Heat (mentioned twice)
29. Outside temp read off

Below is an early list in the thread (many similar to above);

1. Headliner on drivers side is in contact with windshield so it clicks over bumps (2 known cases) – Dealer found broken mounting clips, repaired other case was fixed with felt
2. Drivers door leather was not tucked in near aluminum trim, reinserted it.
3. Steering wheel is off to right, car tracks straight, wheel needs adjustment, dealer did not fix.
4. Parking brake is out of adjustment, have to pull to top to get it to not rely on transmission. Dealer repaired, but within 2 days out of adjustment again, need to re-adjust, especially noticeable on a downhill incline.
5. Outside temperature reading in MID is about 8 degrees high (even after driving), after dealer fix, now 7 degrees off.
6. Driver’s window vibrates at top when fully closed (if down slightly, it is ok). Dealer adjusted window regulator (others have complained about this)
7. About 8 paint defects (small, very small imperfections, such as particles or dust under clear coat) and one scratch near lower black grill near center of car.
8. Rear deck rattled (many complaints of this) with radio on – fixed with foam at center of deck where it meets rear window as it was vibrating against window.
9. Gaps inconsistent in hood to fender fit, both sides, and drivers front fender to headlight. Also, plastic rocker molding on drivers side was about ½” in behind front wheel
10. Leather wrinkles on lower seat bolster in outboard position (not only one to indicate this) – regional says this is normal. Treated the leather this last weekend.
11. Butt print on seat bottom (many complaints)
12. Vibration in car at different speeds (not only one to complain) – dealer rebalanced tires, better, but regional said with these low profile tires, when cold, they are slightly out of round, and when heated, it will go away (I have seen this also, and there was another post on this. Not sure if tranny related.
13. Glove box rattled (other complaints on this also) – dealer moved striker in
14. Memory seat setting disappeared (other complaint about this also)
15. Pass front door rattles occasionally (other complaints) – not found
16. Third brake light cover was loose, rattled with bass and also allowed red light to shine on inside of rear C pillars – dealer repaired.
17. Fuel gauge slightly off, at ¼ takes 10 gallons, 7 gal left.
18 Car up shifts way too early, at steady cruse (not pushing it) it is in 4th just shy of 30mph and 5th just shy of 45mph, makes cruising at these speeds full of vibration as engine lugs as it is not turning enough rpms.
19. Part of back edge of star portion of wheel/rim is not smooth, was not sanded/finished properly, also one is not painted on center hub portion (can not see unless you look inside where it mates to rotor.
20. One exhaust tip has a large silver weld exposed inside tip, visible from rear of car.
21. Noise when pulling away when car is cold and normal acceleration, sounds like a flap is being actuated, but felt throughout car, lasts less than a second (other complaint on this) – dealer did not find.

BTW, trannies are going on the manaul TSXs and TLs and a couple of automatic TLs already

I don't know who is stupider, the guy in the ES 330 racing or the guy taking the ES 330 seriously.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Troublemaker

I have a TL right now and the only problem it has right now is the memory seat losing itself (which i dont mind since im the only one who drives the car)... other than that its great...

My Dad has an ES300 which i have driven many times and is a great smooth ride... great car in fact, but its in its own category... you just cant compare the two cars... Its like comparing an Acura RL to a BMW M3... i wonder which is faster??
Old 12-11-2003, 05:46 PM

My Dad has an ES300 which i have driven many times and is a great smooth ride... great car in fact, but its in its own category... you just cant compare the two cars... Its like comparing an Acura RL to a BMW M3... i wonder which is faster??
Well that is even more extreme but I agree, the ES is not marketed, made nor intended to be a sport anything. And when they did try that crap, it was a mistake.
Friend of mine just called me on his cell phone,all excited because he raced a new Lexus es330 off the Light and blew
BTW, your friend is so lame, I know a 1 handed blind midget that lives on a farm in IOWA that has a more entertaining life than him.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Sure ok..
A friend of my in STi KILLED 'silver 04 TL without NAVigation...
About 10 car length in about 1/2 a mile...
TL was Spec A manual...

Originally posted by vtechbrain
That is a no contest, the ES is a wet noodle luxury boat. We need some stories about M3s and mustang GTs, get some real adrenalin!
Old 12-11-2003, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Re: 04TL abused new Lexus es330

DO u rate your cars by acceleration strictly?
Lexus = smooth ride/luxury/finesse.. Older boomers is the target
TL = little sporty, luxury, young adult is target
totally different croud..

Originally posted by FRANKKIE
his doors off.. Good Job daNN!

Old 12-11-2003, 05:52 PM

If u say so.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:19 PM
Pro

Re: Re: 04TL abused new Lexus es330

Originally posted by amdmaxx
U r an idiot...
DO u rate your cars by acceleration strickly?
Speaking of idiocy, your rudeness is only exceeded by your abuse of the English language. Why don't you try proof reading your post next time?

What the hell did this guy do to you to deserve that type of response?
Old 12-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Burning Brakes

The TL should out run just about any other v6 car. Not many v6's are approaching 300hp.

But, it will not even come close to the low end torque of mustangs, firebirds and camaros with v8's. Or an M3.

That said, the TL has plenty of power and will leave a smile on most peoples faces that get to drive one.

P.S. I hate "kill stories". Leave that **** to the people on LS1.com. I'd rather discuss the TL in a more adult way.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:40 PM
Intermediate

U r an idiot...
DO u rate your cars by acceleration strickly?
Watch your language boy, that's totally uncalled for.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Your right, the ES has none of this that the TL has Summary List of Early build Flaws

6MT

1. Popping out of gear (mostly 1st) (some replaced 1st gear, main and counter shaft)

5AT/NAV and 6MT

7. Hood misaligned
8. trim areas not flush
12. ‘parcel tray’ rattle with loud music near subwoofer (never heard it called the parcel tray)
16. Steering wheel alignment off on delivery and also after delivery and driving
19. Miles to empty not accurate in MID – possibly gas guage not accurate (fewer posts on this)
21. Parking brake out of adjustment – too loose (car uses gear instead of the e-brake=parking brake) up or down hill.

1. Headliner on drivers side is in contact with windshield so it clicks over bumps (2 known cases) – Dealer found broken mounting clips, repaired other case was fixed with felt
3. Steering wheel is off to right, car tracks straight, wheel needs adjustment, dealer did not fix.
4. Parking brake is out of adjustment, have to pull to top to get it to not rely on transmission. Dealer repaired, but within 2 days out of adjustment again, need to re-adjust, especially noticeable on a downhill incline.
5. Outside temperature reading in MID is about 8 degrees high (even after driving), after dealer fix, now 7 degrees off.
6. Driver’s window vibrates at top when fully closed (if down slightly, it is ok). Dealer adjusted window regulator (others have complained about this)
7. About 8 paint defects (small, very small imperfections, such as particles or dust under clear coat) and one scratch near lower black grill near center of car.
8. Rear deck rattled (many complaints of this) with radio on – fixed with foam at center of deck where it meets rear window as it was vibrating against window.
9. Gaps inconsistent in hood to fender fit, both sides, and drivers front fender to headlight. Also, plastic rocker molding on drivers side was about ½” in behind front wheel
10. Leather wrinkles on lower seat bolster in outboard position (not only one to indicate this) – regional says this is normal. Treated the leather this last weekend.
12. Vibration in car at different speeds (not only one to complain) – dealer rebalanced tires, better, but regional said with these low profile tires, when cold, they are slightly out of round, and when heated, it will go away (I have seen this also, and there was another post on this. Not sure if tranny related.
16. Third brake light cover was loose, rattled with bass and also allowed red light to shine on inside of rear C pillars – dealer repaired.
18 Car up shifts way too early, at steady cruse (not pushing it) it is in 4th just shy of 30mph and 5th just shy of 45mph, makes cruising at these speeds full of vibration as engine lugs as it is not turning enough rpms.
19. Part of back edge of star portion of wheel/rim is not smooth, was not sanded/finished properly, also one is not painted on center hub portion (can not see unless you look inside where it mates to rotor.
20. One exhaust tip has a large silver weld exposed inside tip, visible from rear of car.
21. Noise when pulling away when car is cold and normal acceleration, sounds like a flap is being actuated, but felt throughout car, lasts less than a second (other complaint on this) – dealer did not find.

BTW, trannies are going on the manaul TSXs and TLs and a couple of automatic TLs already

I don't know who is stupider, the guy in the ES 330 racing or the guy taking the ES 330 seriously.

Are you serious? All of those problems?
Old 12-11-2003, 07:37 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

[COLOR=blue]I don't know who is stupider, the guy in the ES 330 racing or the guy taking the ES 330 seriously.
I think the 'stupider' title goes to the one in blue.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Dr. TLS

Jeez why do some people feel all offended when "their car manufacturer" gets attacked? Brand loyalty is for idiots. If someone else puts a better car on the table, I will ditch whatever I have and grab it if I can afford it. The ES330 has less horsepower, less torque, terrible handling, not as many interior features as the TL, but is VERY WELL built. Since they are about THE SAME price or a little more than a TL, you've got to figure that all that extra dough you're dishing out has to go behind something. On the TL, performance is emphasized while luxury is emphasized in the ES330. Both companies have to cut corners to survive the competition. Atleast the stock Acura's performance isn't as anemic as the IS300s and the ES330s.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:35 PM
Instructor

edited my post, but its pretty childish to start threads like: ES330 got owned by Tl..
Come on now, lets see TL line up against WRX, STi, EVO, Mustang v8, Cobra, M3, Even honda accord 4 cylinder with NOS, S55 amg, s500, e55, e500, 540, 545, 330 sport, g35 coupe, g35 sedan, z350, z300 turbo, supra, rx-7, rx-8, eclipse turbo, gs400, fs430, the list goes on....
Old 12-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Amen... lol..

6MT

5AT/NAV and 6MT

7. Hood misaligned
8. trim areas not flush

Old 12-11-2003, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: 04TL abused new Lexus es330

Started a non-sense thread...
Lemme start a daily thread like:
TL got owned by G35... How would u feel about it.. lol
TL got owned by 330
TL got owned by '98 Huyndai Sonata

Pretty childish, if u ask me.. Just go see NASOIC forums sticky rules on top.. Moderators wisely advised not to start any our car vs your car racing threads.. I am not even gonna go into part that racing is highly illegal and dangerous...

Originally posted by jwaters943

What the hell did this guy do to you to deserve that type of response?
Old 12-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by vandy786
Jeez why do some people feel all offended when "their car manufacturer" gets attacked? Brand loyalty is for idiots. If someone else puts a better car on the table, I will ditch whatever I have and grab it if I can afford it. The ES330 has less horsepower, less torque, terrible handling, not as many interior features as the TL, but is VERY WELL built. Since they are about THE SAME price or a little more than a TL, you've got to figure that all that extra dough you're dishing out has to go behind something. On the TL, performance is emphasized while luxury is emphasized in the ES330. Both companies have to cut corners to survive the competition. Atleast the stock Acura's performance isn't as anemic as the IS300s and the ES330s.
I agree
Old 12-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Troublemaker

as long as the owner is happy with what they have bought, its a good deal. Im 16 and i got the TL because it did not have embarassing performance and had a lot of nice features... If i wanted to rape everything on the road i would have gotten a Cobra: 390 110% bone stock... after a chip, an easy 450 hp.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:54 AM
Instructor

Turbowhat2

You got the TL? Must make a lot of dough for a 16 year old.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:56 AM
Troublemaker

parents...

i need to start doing something though, cant depend on them forever...

quite frankly i probably need boot camp for some disciplinary purposes...
Old 12-12-2003, 07:37 AM
Pro

Originally posted by vandy786

I agree. With that said, I have been to at least 3-4 other Honda/Acura sites and repeatedly see 1sicklex, Gilboman and a few others who seem to only post messages for the purpose of putting down Acura and touting the "superiority" of Lexus/BMW. It gets old and one has to wonder why people who don't like Honda/Acura or the products they offer post here? I've never run into anything like this on VW/Audi forums. I don't think anyone on here (even those members who own a '04 TL) are saying that it's the best car on the market, but it's a very nice car with MANY good points. If you don't like it that is fine, there are other cars for you and your needs. Those who come here simply to dump on the TL are useless and NOT an asset to this site. If you're a TL owner and are experiencing legitimate problems, that's a different story entirely and some negativity is to be expected.

In closing.....COULD WE PLEASE TRY TO STOP THIS WAVE OF NEGATIVITY THAT IS SWEEPING THIS MESSAGE BOARD?
Old 12-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Re: 04TL abused new Lexus es330

Speaking of idiocy, your rudeness is only exceeded by your abuse of the English language. Why don't you try proof reading your post next time?
I'm sure the British would have a lot to say about your use of the English language. Not that I don't totally agree with you about the obvious inability for many to use our language and grammar properly. You and I may think its sad, but to many it is exactly what they are used to, and have come to accept. It's a little like tattoos and body piercing, I suppose.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Advanced

Hey 1SIKLEX,

Aside from having alot of time,you seem to have some issues
aswell.. It seems that you have a problem with agression,you
got your rocks off bigtime by your 1thousand comment negative sheet on the New TL.. Might i ask you 1 question? Why is a huge
lexus fan like your self on the TL forum? If this car is not on
the level of LEXUS,why not go to a board with a more competitive car who is on par with the lexus? Somehow i get the feeling this
new TL has quickly gotten the attention of many.
The Striking looks,beautiful style and the BEST NAVI on the
Planet,along with great performance and beautiful interior,hMM.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by dcarlinf1
The TL should out run just about any other v6 car. Not many v6's are approaching 300hp.
My 1993 Acura with a 270 hp. V6 will destroy my 2004 Acura with a 270 hp V6.

Don't forget the G35/350Z and the other V6 performance cars out there, as well as blown V6 cars like the Buick GN, the 1989-1996 Turbo Z, the vr4/Stealth RT, etc.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:46 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, some people get bent out shape real easily on this forum. Just relax and take a chill pill. He just posted something that he though might be interesting to some people. If you don’t like it then move on. You don’t have to sit here and bash the guy. I also think it’s funny when people on this forum start to argue that they start attacking each other’s spelling skills. This is a forum not a grammar school. We all come on this board to enjoy or new TL’s and to learn about them. Not to get bashed by people for posting a kill story.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by brahtw8
My 1993 Acura with a 270 hp. V6 will destroy my 2004 Acura with a 270 hp V6.
Well goody, goody for you and your 93 Acura. Define "destroy" for me please. 1 car length? 10 car lengths? Yep, thought so. Meaningless comment. Stick to the facts please.

Don't forget the G35/350Z and the other V6 performance cars out there, as well as blown V6 cars like the Buick GN, the 1989-1996 Turbo Z, the vr4/Stealth RT, etc.
I never said it was the fastest V6. Just that there are very few that are approaching 300hp as the TL is. That's plenty for a sedan. Ignoring the coupes you listed how many sedans can you think of?

BTW - There is not a lot of difference between a G35 and TL in terms of acceleration. A good driver will make more of a difference. To me they are equals and yes I've driven both.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:01 PM
Pro

DO u rate your cars by acceleration strictly?
WOW, now I qualify as a young adult :wow:

And I thought at my age I was about to become a dirty old man....:devil:
Old 12-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Instructor

I am an old fart, if u want an honest opinion...
Under 30 though..
Old 12-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Well goody, goody for you and your 93 Acura. Define "destroy" for me please. 1 car length? 10 car lengths? Yep, thought so. Meaningless comment. Stick to the facts please.
I have no idea why you took my statements so personally, but if you want to argue semantics you picked the wrong guy.

As for the facts, the 93 is about a half second quicker to sixty and about 8 tenths of a second quicker in the quarter mile. It has a top speed that is 30 mph higher (assuming the TL has a governor at 140 MPH) and is immeasurably quicker on a road course.

In terms of car lenths, 60 MPH is equal to 88 FPS. You should be able to do the math from there: A half second is roughly equal to 2.5 car lengths.

I never said it was the fastest V6. Just that there are very few that are approaching 300hp as the TL is. That's plenty for a sedan. Ignoring the coupes you listed how many sedans can you think of?.
Actually, you said exactly what I quoted above. That comment was NOT limited to sedans but was instead "The TL should out run just about any other v6 car. Not many v6's are approaching 300hp." I understand the need to engage in some revisionist history, since you were called to the carpet and all, but the fallacy of your statement is exposed by your earlier post.

So sorry. Thanks for playing.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:20 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

6MT

///////////

garbage trimmed

///////////

Just take a look at the sales figures between the two cars. The TL is miles ahead of the ES, and the TL is again heading towards the best selling near -luxury vehicle title in its class. Why ? Because car buyers prefer the TL.

If several thousand people nationwide are "stupid" enough to buy the TL, obviously your long list of questionable items seems insignificant.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by unlemming
I think the 'stupider' title goes to the one in blue.
I could not agree more.......
Old 12-12-2003, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by FRANKKIE
Hey 1SIKLEX,

Aside from having alot of time,you seem to have some issues
aswell.. It seems that you have a problem with agression,you
got your rocks off bigtime by your 1thousand comment negative sheet on the New TL.. Might i ask you 1 question? Why is a huge
lexus fan like your self on the TL forum? If this car is not on
the level of LEXUS,why not go to a board with a more competitive car who is on par with the lexus? Somehow i get the feeling this
new TL has quickly gotten the attention of many.
The Striking looks,beautiful style and the BEST NAVI on the
Planet,along with great performance and beautiful interior,hMM.
who cares about him, he's just a troll. he should just go back to his lexus forums where lexus rules the world and has absolutely no problems.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Dr. TLS

I agree. With that said, I have been to at least 3-4 other Honda/Acura sites and repeatedly see 1sicklex, Gilboman and a few others who seem to only post messages for the purpose of putting down Acura and touting the "superiority" of Lexus/BMW. It gets old and one has to wonder why people who don't like Honda/Acura or the products they offer post here? I've never run into anything like this on VW/Audi forums. I don't think anyone on here (even those members who own a '04 TL) are saying that it's the best car on the market, but it's a very nice car with MANY good points. If you don't like it that is fine, there are other cars for you and your needs. Those who come here simply to dump on the TL are useless and NOT an asset to this site. If you're a TL owner and are experiencing legitimate problems, that's a different story entirely and some negativity is to be expected.

In closing.....COULD WE PLEASE TRY TO STOP THIS WAVE OF NEGATIVITY THAT IS SWEEPING THIS MESSAGE BOARD?
Old 12-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by iNteGraz92
who cares about him, he's just a troll. he should just go back to his lexus forums where lexus rules the world and has absolutely no problems.
He's not exactly the classic troll. Sometimes he posts worthwhile comments. I just can't figure out why he hates on other people's cars the other times.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Nice post

I have no idea why you took my statements so personally, but if you want to argue semantics you picked the wrong guy.

As for the facts, the 93 is about a half second quicker to sixty and about 8 tenths of a second quicker in the quarter mile. It has a top speed that is 30 mph higher (assuming the TL has a governor at 140 MPH) and is immeasurably quicker on a road course.

In terms of car lenths, 60 MPH is equal to 88 FPS. You should be able to do the math from there: A half second is roughly equal to 2.5 car lengths.

Actually, you said exactly what I quoted above. That comment was NOT limited to sedans but was instead "The TL should out run just about any other v6 car. Not many v6's are approaching 300hp." I understand the need to engage in some revisionist history, since you were called to the carpet and all, but the fallacy of your statement is exposed by your earlier post.

So sorry. Thanks for playing.
Nice post. Much more precise than the earlier post.

BTW - What is the 93 Acura you are referring to? Sounds like an NSX.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Nice post

Nice post. Much more precise than the earlier post.

BTW - What is the 93 Acura you are referring to? Sounds like an NSX.
We have a winner.

I appreciate your willingness to meet me halfway. I hate these long forum wars, even though I start or contribute to them sometimes.

I find it very cool that both of my Acuras have 270 hp. V6s.

Interestingly enough, the TL has more torque.

Of course, if I could only have one it would not be the TL, but the fact that the TL was nice enough for me to sell my 325i and not buy a 540i speaks volumes for the value and performance it offers.