Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 TL vs. Modded EVO

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
04 TL vs. Modded EVO

I was coming from the gym, when I was in the left turning lane at the traffic light. There were two lanes to turn, and I was in the right lane. While waiting for the green light, a blue EVO pulled up next to me. It was a guy driving with a girl in the passenger seat. I turned off my VSA just in cast. When the light turned green we took off at a normal pace. I accelerated a little faster to see if he would bit. He lagged behind at first, so I maintain 60 mph. Then he started to catch up with me. When he passed me, I saw his aftermarket exhaust.

I dropped down to 4th, then sped up alittle. Then he went WOT on me! I dropped to 3rd, then did the same. He did get a two car jump, because he was in front of me already. But he couldn't pull anymore when I got up to speed. We had to slow down, because of traffic. I had to get behind him until we got passed the other cars. When we were able to get side by side again, I gave him the thumbs up for the first run. Then we hit it again from 50. He started pulling on me, but only alittle. When we got up to 120, he was over one car ahead of me.

Eventhough that was my first lost after my mods, I think that is pretty good against a modded EVO.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:19 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Lol it was his mistake to not smoke you right from the start! lol!! anyways nice race. What kind of mods do you think that guy had? Just an exhaust? or more? I think those evos, when modded, can reach 400hp easily.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Green Machine

Judging from the run, he probably had just an intake and exhaust. I'm sure if he had an aftermarket turbo, I would have been too embarrased to mention it.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:03 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what mods do u have? nice rin
Old 03-31-2007, 01:17 AM
Intermediate

The evo had to have nothing but bolt-on's, no ecu flash or upgrade turbo. Judging by your race and what you said. Evo's or four wheel drive cars suck from a roll, from a dig it's a different story and it's hard playing catch up. When I had my Z and I race an EVO; it would pull 1.5-2 cars from a dig but as soon as we hit 100+ the walking starts and then I would pass at around 120+. That's racing an EVO with the mods describe above.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:39 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Yep....EVO FTW off the line against the TL. That are not worth a shit on the highway IMO though....
Old 03-31-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by southern_info
The evo had to have nothing but bolt-on's, no ecu flash or upgrade turbo. Judging by your race and what you said. Evo's or four wheel drive cars suck from a roll, from a dig it's a different story and it's hard playing catch up. When I had my Z and I race an EVO; it would pull 1.5-2 cars from a dig but as soon as we hit 100+ the walking starts and then I would pass at around 120+. That's racing an EVO with the mods describe above.
Evo's/STi/AWD cars don't suck from a roll. It's understandable that your Nissan Z started to pull on the Evo at the upper speeds, but it's not because of the AWD, its the fact that you have an engine with greater displacement and two more cylinders.

The main reason that many AWD cars come with a small (usually a 2.0 or a 2.5 inline four turbo) is because of their light weight. With an AWD system, the car ends up being really heavy as is, and the added weight of a huge V6 would make the car really heavy. (I.E. look at the RL).

Try racing against a boosted 2006 Audi 3.2 Quattro. Those things have the best of both the V6 world and the AWD world. If you're in the So Cal area, I can refer you to a friend who actually has one.

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Yep....EVO FTW off the line against the TL. That are not worth a shit on the highway IMO though....
Yeah says you MB... for the rest of us slugs without Forced Inductions, it'll be a cold day in hell before we can dream of beating an Evo.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:38 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Yeah says you MB... for the rest of us slugs without Forced Inductions, it'll be a cold day in hell before we can dream of beating an Evo.
Actually....what I said was Evo for the win off the line. AWD will eat our cars alive from a dead stop. Out on the highway or from a roll....you should be able to hang though in most instances....they are not great highway cars OR have a huge top speed. This is given we are not talking a highly modded 600HP beast.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:17 PM
Intermediate

Cool

Evo's/STi/AWD cars don't suck from a roll. It's understandable that your Nissan Z started to pull on the Evo at the upper speeds, but it's not because of the AWD, its the fact that you have an engine with greater displacement and two more cylinders.

The main reason that many AWD cars come with a small (usually a 2.0 or a 2.5 inline four turbo) is because of their light weight. With an AWD system, the car ends up being really heavy as is, and the added weight of a huge V6 would make the car really heavy. (I.E. look at the RL).

Try racing against a boosted 2006 Audi 3.2 Quattro. Those things have the best of both the V6 world and the AWD world. If you're in the So Cal area, I can refer you to a friend who actually has one.

Dude are you kidding me! Both the STI/EVO can run a sub 13 - high 12 sec in the 1/4 in stock form. A 03-05 350z runs it in 13.5 at best and 07 350z can run it 13.3. All those times are basis on street tires and not slicks. So for you to throw displacement out for the reason it loses isn't the problem. It's distrubation of the horsepower to the wheels. Horsepower push to two wheels will be stronger than the power push to four wheels period, (drive train loss will be higher in 4 wheel drive cars)! I have drag vids of me racing an STI with 330hp and it didn't even destroy me. I was actually impress how well I did against it. I false start the first time beating him and the second race he launch hard and I manage to stay 1.5 cars behind him down the whole track. As for the race you want to arrange. I no longer own a Z, I have a 2004 TL. In a couple years I will be getting a Supra cause I tried of playing around!

Vid of the drag strip blue STI and I also race black WRX >http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...1f0025204f.htm
Old 03-31-2007, 11:26 PM
Intermediate

Another thing, if displacement is the reason the 4 cyclinders lost to my v6 why did a V8 lose to my V6...hmmmm? VID>>http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...df3773a3d7.htm
Old 04-01-2007, 01:19 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
The EVOs here aren't that fast compared to the stock ones in Japan. Damn, they can keep up with GTRs and NSXs even on Fuji speedway (which has some very long straightaway). With a competent driver, the Evo or STi will eat a TL alive from a dig, and it will still pull away (may be slowly) from a roll. My guess is that you need at least a TL-S 6MT to keep up with a stock Japanese Evo or STi from a roll. Remember, those Evo's and STi's in stock form in Japan have more than 300hp and are carrying 100-200kg less weight than a TL-S. TLs are quick and I love them but there are just some cars that are faster than our cars. But hey, the features in our cars certainly keep us busy!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:24 AM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by southern_info
Dude are you kidding me! Both the STI/EVO can run a sub 13 - high 12 sec in the 1/4 in stock form. A 03-05 350z runs it in 13.5 at best and 07 350z can run it 13.3. All those times are basis on street tires and not slicks. So for you to throw displacement out for the reason it loses isn't the problem. It's distrubation of the horsepower to the wheels. Horsepower push to two wheels will be stronger than the power push to four wheels period, (drive train loss will be higher in 4 wheel drive cars)! I have drag vids of me racing an STI with 330hp and it didn't even destroy me. I was actually impress how well I did against it. I false start the first time beating him and the second race he launch hard and I manage to stay 1.5 cars behind him down the whole track. As for the race you want to arrange. I no longer own a Z, I have a 2004 TL. In a couple years I will be getting a Supra cause I tried of playing around!

Vid of the drag strip blue STI and I also race black WRX >http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...1f0025204f.htm

You are right about that. Drive Train loss in AWD does eat up alot of HP. I didn't consider that. I was more or less thinking if you had an I4 and V6, even if the I4 could make the same amount of HP, the V6 would eventually take it in the end due to the fact that a larger displacement engine is simply more powerful and can deliver power to the wheels faster. I mean an I4 can make the same amount of HP, just that it'd take Forced induction and with all types of FI, theres some kind of lag before the delivery of power.

You got me. My mind slipped. I was thinking all things equal a 300hp V6 > than 300hp I4. Forgot we were talking about AWD vs. RWD. Lol. Thats what happens when you haven't had sleep in awhile.

Nice Vid Clip. :thumbsup. Except I can't see shit in the 2nd one. And I have no idea what the stats of the Trans Am engine is. I don't really follow American cars. Maybe Japanese Engine > American Engine?
Old 04-01-2007, 01:55 AM
Intermediate

You are right about that. Drive Train loss in AWD does eat up alot of HP. I didn't consider that. I was more or less thinking if you had an I4 and V6, even if the I4 could make the same amount of HP, the V6 would eventually take it in the end due to the fact that a larger displacement engine is simply more powerful and can deliver power to the wheels faster. I mean an I4 can make the same amount of HP, just that it'd take Forced induction and with all types of FI, theres some kind of lag before the delivery of power.

You got me. My mind slipped. I was thinking all things equal a 300hp V6 > than 300hp I4. Forgot we were talking about AWD vs. RWD. Lol. Thats what happens when you haven't had sleep in awhile.

Nice Vid Clip. :thumbsup. Except I can't see shit in the 2nd one. And I have no idea what the stats of the Trans Am engine is. I don't really follow American cars. Maybe Japanese Engine > American Engine?

The muscle head will tell you that the car was a pontiac formula. I had such a big arguement on my350z.com with them before and after I post that video online. I had so many doubters but I proved them all wrong. The motor in that formual was an LT1 with head work and it also had bolt-on's...assuming the hp was around 330-340 to the fly. Watch the video in the dark and you will see it better.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:51 AM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by beastman187
what mods do u have? nice rin
I only have CAI, pulley, and thermal spacers.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Green Machine

Actually....what I said was Evo for the win off the line. AWD will eat our cars alive from a dead stop. Out on the highway or from a roll....you should be able to hang though in most instances....they are not great highway cars OR have a huge top speed. This is given we are not talking a highly modded 600HP beast.
I know about all about AWD turbo's. I have a 99 Eclipse GSX with all kinds of mods from an EVO 3 engine to short throw shifter. That car weights a ton seems like (3500 lbs). The top end is just as good as a TL. From a dig, it is a beast!

BTW, I was able to run with a STI on Saturday kind of. I was right behind him when he took off from 60. Lucky for me I was already in 4th, but dropped to 3rd then WOT. He didn't pull nearly as much as the EVO did!

I've raced EVO's and a STI in my GSX before, but this TL is really impressing me! I can't wait to get my e-cats!
Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
I know about all about AWD turbo's. I have a 99 Eclipse GSX with all kinds of mods from an EVO 3 engine to short throw shifter. That car weights a ton seems like (3500 lbs). The top end is just as good as a TL. From a dig, it is a beast!

BTW, I was able to run with a STI on Saturday kind of. I was right behind him when he took off from 60. Lucky for me I was already in 4th, but dropped to 3rd then WOT. He didn't pull nearly as much as the EVO did!

I've raced EVO's and a STI in my GSX before, but this TL is really impressing me! I can't wait to get my e-cats!
Personally...I dont consider ANYTHING thats NOT from a dead stop a race. Yep....the TL from 60mph...will certainly keep up if not eventually overtake an EVO or Scoobie. Try it from a dead stop and see how much they shoot out on you though....
Old 04-02-2007, 08:28 AM
The Boss

EVOs are quick off the line... but Highway action, they lack the displacements. On Highway pulls, they are not as quick against F.I. TLs...
Old 04-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Green Machine

Try it from a dead stop and see how much they shoot out on you though....
Like I said, I have an GSX. I know the effects of a turboed AWD from a dead stop. It's like a damn sling shot! It's bad when it surprises the hell out of you at launch and you're the driver!