'04-'06 Contemplating DRL: Which Would Look The Best?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013 | 02:02 PM
Teenage TL

'04-'06 Contemplating DRL: Which Would Look The Best?

I've read a few DIY's and seen installs of Daytime Running Lights on the American TL that doesn't have them stock.. Everything from led strips to wiring the fogs independently.. there are a lot of options. I have an 05, and just want some opinions on what would be the best looking, without cracking open my headlights. I use the term DRL loosely, I don't necessarily need lights that will turn on when my car turns on. I just want some that I can have an independent switch to turn them on and keep them on when I am driving without my lights on.

This thread here https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/rice-nice-led-fog-light-strip-689839/ has many pictures of different people who went a typical aftermarket route and just added LED strips to the bottom grill openings. Personally I think this looks good on other cars that have it stock, such as the new Benz's. The mod done by JnC in this thread on page 2/3 is so good looking but I don't wanna spend too much to get it done or crack open my own headlights.

Another route I was thinking is installing Accord fogs in my lower grill with an auxiliary button as in this thread
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-031-diy-accord-foglight-mod-without-removing-spec-bumper-717204/
I could then just run those while I drive, because with HIDs they look pretty sick. But then I don't see the point of having two pairs of fogs. Personally i think having BiXenon lights is fantastic, but having fogs inside the headlight assembly is dumb. It just don't look good. I see they fixed on the later years but I'm working with what I have.
EDIT: not gonna lie though the HIDS running alone in the lower fogs looks sick.. but oem kits are expensive

Any thoughts or advice?

Last edited by Jklaz; 04-13-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2013 | 02:24 PM
Race Director

Accord fogs can be had for fairly cheap if you don't go the OEM route. I think it comes as a kit for around $130 or so...

I just added Inspire fogs to my lower grilles and I have them completely independent, which I love, I've been using them as a DRL.

If you don't want to add lower fogs I suggest doing the independent upper fog mod, here is the thread...https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-029-diy-independent-fog-lights-stock-switch-772633/

Upon completing my lower fogs, I think they really add to the look of the front, having all the lights on looks awesome.

If you want HID's in your uppers, it can be done although it is not wise as since they are higher up and in a chrome housing, you will more than likely blind oncoming traffic. With HID's in the lower, I have not been high beamed (yet) I've actually been high beamed by a few people from the headlights alone.

Also, opening the headlights can be done yourself, it is a tedious process but definitely doable. Painting them really completes the look, especially on NBP.

Having help doing my headlights, it has helped and I think I can do it by myself. Just be very careful and follow the guides written by our members.

And as a push I'll give you a pic of painted headlights on NBP

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87741887@N07/8508776342/http://www.flickr.com/photos/87741887@N07/8508776342/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/87741887@N07/, on Flickr
The following users liked this post:
Jklaz (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013 | 02:32 PM
Teenage TL

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
Accord fogs can be had for fairly cheap if you don't go the OEM route. I think it comes as a kit for around $130 or so...

I just added Inspire fogs to my lower grilles and I have them completely independent, which I love, I've been using them as a DRL.

If you don't want to add lower fogs I suggest doing the independent upper fog mod, here is the thread...https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772633

Upon completing my lower fogs, I think they really add to the look of the front, having all the lights on looks awesome.

If you want HID's in your uppers, it can be done although it is not wise as since they are higher up and in a chrome housing, you will more than likely blind oncoming traffic. With HID's in the lower, I have not been high beamed (yet) I've actually been high beamed by a few people from the headlights alone.

Also, opening the headlights can be done yourself, it is a tedious process but definitely doable. Painting them really completes the look, especially on NBP.

Having help doing my headlights, it has helped and I think I can do it by myself. Just be very careful and follow the guides written by our members.

And as a push I'll give you a pic of painted headlights on NBP

_MG_0174.jpg by NBP UA6, on Flickr
that pic is making me drool haha did you have to do that to me!
thanks for all the info! even 130 is a little on the expensive side for my budget now, as I still don't even have my stage 2 exhaust welded but i have the parts. Wiring them independently seems the cheapest route I'll look more into it! But the blacked out paint just looks so good.. I get so torn between what to do as so many things look good but I usually don't wanna mess up or spend a lot.

but the inspire mod is probably my most favorite.. decisions decisions. thanks again!
Old 04-13-2013 | 02:39 PM
Race Director

Inspires WERE $85, it seems that the company selling them realized they were hot so now they're $125

Wiring them really makes no difference in cost, only in how they function.

And headlights, you'll only need paint of your choice, butyl sealant and some tools. fairly cheap to mod those by yourself.

Also I'd like to add that the Inspire fogs are easier to install than the Accord fogs.
Jklaz (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013 | 03:03 PM
Race Director

If you're going for aftermarket accord fogs, there are plenty on eBay from 30-80 dollars.
Undying Dreams (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013 | 04:28 PM
Teenage TL

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
If you're going for aftermarket accord fogs, there are plenty on eBay from 30-80 dollars.
If they aren't OEM am I running any risks there?
Old 04-13-2013 | 04:52 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jklaz
If they aren't OEM am I running any risks there?
Aftermarket fogs don't have a glare shield, so they will produce more glare than OEM fogs.

Aftermarket kits usually have plastic lens too, so a possibility of melting if you use a HID kit. There are some sellers that sell aftermarket fogs with glass lens, though. Just ask the seller.
Old 04-13-2013 | 06:05 PM
Level: Noob

How would you convert the fog light to a DRL? I don't want it to shine like a fog does, looking for a lower light output. Is it as simple as just switching the bulb out, or do I need to mod the housing/reflector?
Old 04-13-2013 | 06:35 PM
Teenage TL

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Aftermarket fogs don't have a glare shield, so they will produce more glare than OEM fogs.

Aftermarket kits usually have plastic lens too, so a possibility of melting if you use a HID kit. There are some sellers that sell aftermarket fogs with glass lens, though. Just ask the seller.
Interesting. thanks for the info! I knew most non oem products that are replicas had bad build qualities but i didn't know how it specifically pertained to this

Originally Posted by Mrtastygoody
How would you convert the fog light to a DRL? I don't want it to shine like a fog does, looking for a lower light output. Is it as simple as just switching the bulb out, or do I need to mod the housing/reflector?
I'm also wondering this.. If the fogs are wired to be independent can the bulb be switched out for something other than whats in there? this could render the actual fog light capability useless but i don't use mine much anyways.. plus the lower fog light mod could replace them
Old 04-13-2013 | 09:36 PM
Level: Noob

Originally Posted by Jklaz
I'm also wondering this.. If the fogs are wired to be independent can the bulb be switched out for something other than whats in there? this could render the actual fog light capability useless but i don't use mine much anyways.. plus the lower fog light mod could replace them
Exactly what I was thinking. Turn the fogs into a DRL, then install the Inspire lower grill fogs.
Old 04-13-2013 | 09:43 PM
Race Director

Here's the DIY to turn the fog light in your headlight to DRL:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772633

As for the lower fogs, wire them independent too.
Mrtastygoody (04-13-2013)