Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$390 to replace pads on 6MT with Brembos

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Life is good.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$390 to replace pads on 6MT with Brembos

Well, about a week ago I had a thread that discussed the price to replace the Brembo pads. I went online and found the pads for $150. I called my dealer had he quoted me $189 installed. So I figured I'd get them at the dealer. Well, today he informed me that he ran my VIN and the Brembo pads are accually going to be over $490 installed. That's fucked! So, I think I am going to get the pads online, I just get them installed at Acura for $55. They want to true the rotors for $145, but I think I'll say no to that. Also the inner pads is the only pads that are worn, the outer pads still have 40% left, this sucks bad. Anyone getting this done cheaper, I'd like to hear about it.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Your mileage?
Old 08-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by 2004MT6TL
Well, about a week ago I had a thread that discussed the price to replace the Brembo pads. I went online and found the pads for $150. I called my dealer had he quoted me $189 installed. So I figured I'd get them at the dealer. Well, today he informed me that he ran my VIN and the Brembo pads are accually going to be over $490 installed. That's fucked! So, I think I am going to get the pads online, I just get them installed at Acura for $55. They want to true the rotors for $145, but I think I'll say no to that. Also the inner pads is the only pads that are worn, the outer pads still have 40% left, this sucks bad. Anyone getting this done cheaper, I'd like to hear about it.
I'm not sure I understand. The dealer first quoted you $189 and now it is $490. Was the first price for the regular brake pads and the second for the Brembos? If not, how does your VIN affect it?
Old 08-30-2004, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
I'm not sure I understand. The dealer first quoted you $189 and now it is $490. Was the first price for the regular brake pads and the second for the Brembos? If not, how does your VIN affect it?
The 5AT/6MT difference in brakes accounts for the difference in price. The 5AT pads are about $41, and the 6MT pads list for around $175. Also, the first price he quoted may not have included trueing the rotors, since he thought it was a 5MT. Blame this on the parts manager and service manager for not knowing there is a difference in 5AT/6MT brakes.

The VIN told the dealer he had the 6MT with Brembos, and not the 5AT with standard brakes.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Ron A
The 5AT/6MT difference in brakes accounts for the difference in price. The 5AT pads are about $41, and the 6MT pads list for around $175. Also, the first price he quoted may not have included trueing the rotors, since he thought it was a 5MT. Blame this on the parts manager and service manager for not knowing there is a difference in 5AT/6MT brakes.

The VIN told the dealer he had the 6MT with Brembos, and not the 5AT with standard brakes.
Ah. That's what I thought. I'm sitting here thinking, there CAN'T be a difference in price for two 6MT's with different VIN's...can there? Thanks Ron.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:50 PM
2004 Acura TL SSM 6MT

Last time I changed pads on a car, I got the rotors turned at Pep Boys for $5/each... what's the deal with these being so much?

Either there is something magical about what he's doing or you're getting ripped off. Which one is it?
Old 08-30-2004, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
I think the main reason for the price differentials is when you get an exotic system, then they feel free to charge exotic prices. I know the Brembo's are special and well worth the money if you do the kind of driving that will use their potential to the fullest, but you are also paying for the name and reputation.

I changed brake pads at least twice in my 96TL, and more than that in my 87 Olds 98, and I never turned a rotor once. If you don't feel any ridges, then, in my opinion, you don't have to turn the rotor. Also, current rotors are made so thin, probably for EPA weight reduction, that you can only turn them once and then you need new ones.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little advice:

ANY item on the Brembo setup is expensive; whether it be pads, rotors,or, God forbid, the calipers.

You should hear the STi and EVO guys bitchin about them!

Still, I wish I had the MT/Brembo option nearly every day I am in the TL...

If you are to the point that you need to change the pads on those Brembos...then it really is not a good idea to NOT turn the rotors...any questions, go get a price on THOSE!
Old 08-30-2004, 04:40 PM
Life is good.

Originally Posted by rets
Your mileage?
20,000. I'm the one with the tranny which was mostly replaced because it was popping out of second gear. I'm taking it back in becuase it now has a hard time going into 1st and 2nd gears. :killer:
Old 08-30-2004, 05:09 PM
100k miles club

ah the joy of 5AT
Old 08-30-2004, 05:21 PM
Life is good.

Originally Posted by w1n78
ah the joy of 5AT
Ah, the exillaration of sub 6 sec accelleration and above par stopping power in hight performance street and autocross driving.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:24 PM
The Acura Tranny Killer

Ah, the exillaration of sub 6 sec accelleration and above par stopping power in hight performance street and autocross driving.
And of course, doing that for a while and your tranny starts popping out of gear

But yes, the 6MT should be more fun to drive

:gheywave:

Tracer
Old 08-30-2004, 05:46 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
If the outer pads were not as worn that means they were not making good contact with the rotor. Basically, it sounds like 20% left on both if they worn evenly. Maybe even more because the inside pads doing most of the work became extra heated during braking increasing the wear. Or maybe the inside pad is dragging. What does the dealer consider the proper mileage for a set of pads. 20K is fairly quick. It would be interesting to note if other's get this same issue with uneven pad wear in such short mileage.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:59 PM
Racer

It will just be a short while before you can order the pads from one of several aftermarket houses such as EBC. The aftermarket waits until there a market and most folks won't be going thru pads that fast. I've been told Brembos are about the easiest pads to change (exposed clips on the inner radius, pads slip right out). Also, never turn your rotors unless they are warped beyond spec. Just go easy on the new brakes for a couple of weeks for them to bed in.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:00 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Brake jobs are a complete ripoff at the dealer. I could perform the job in my driveway with turning the rotors for less than $25, you provide the pads. I have 3 locations within 5 miles of my garage that "turn" for $12 or less per rotor/drum. If you have the capability to jack up the car, take the wheel off etc. you can change your own brake pads and have the rotors turned cheap. Any reputable place will also "measure" the rotors and refuse to turn them, if turning them resulted in less than required remaining thickness.
Ron A is right about the cost and the fact that the rotors do not need turned unless they have ridges and/or are warped, IE your brake peddle pulsates under mod to heavy breaking. If you have either rotor issue, replacing the pads and not turning/truing will result in accelerated wear, poor performance, and "squealing",, or all of the above.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

That is what the NSX is for.
Seriously, have you been autocrossing your TL? I'm thinking of doing the same in one of my other cars. Do you like it?
Old 08-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TireSmoke
Last time I changed pads on a car, I got the rotors turned at Pep Boys for $5/each... what's the deal with these being so much?

Either there is something magical about what he's doing or you're getting ripped off. Which one is it?

I wouldnt trust PEP BOYS to pump gas in my car let alone rotors or anything else.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Acura aficionado

Originally Posted by 92NSX
That is what the NSX is for.
Seriously, have you been autocrossing your TL? I'm thinking of doing the same in one of my other cars. Do you like it?
[Hijack -- sorry] I autocrossed twice in my old turbo Eclipse. It was a blast! I think everyone had fun, driving or watching. It is hell on the tires though..... You could get slicks, if you really get into it.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, today he informed me that he ran my VIN and the Brembo pads are accually going to be over $490 installed.
Damn, that sucks. Your dad must be pissed.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah, the exillaration of......and above par stopping power in hight performance street and autocross driving.
Not according to the Motor Trend comparison chart that shows both the 5AT and 6MT. The 5AT had a significantly shorter braking distance than the Brembo-equipped 6MT. Motor Trend incompetance (even with ABS)? Who knows.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:00 PM