Maybe Curb Rash

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 12:38 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe Curb Rash

HI I am asking in behalf of my parents their Right Front tire and wheel got damaged. They don't know how it happened but they want to fix it. Does the tire look ok & can the wheel be fixed ?

Old 06-18-2017, 02:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
That's damage that occurs as a result of pot holes. Curb rash is wider up the rim. What happened was your parents must have been driving and hit a pothole (a large one at that) and that part that's damaged came into contact with the edge of the pothole. It is repairable, there is definitely going to be a few companies who can restore the rim to good as new. Just google search local rim repair shops.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDX10
That's damage that occurs as a result of pot holes. Curb rash is wider up the rim. What happened was your parents must have been driving and hit a pothole (a large one at that) and that part that's damaged came into contact with the edge of the pothole. It is repairable, there is definitely going to be a few companies who can restore the rim to good as new. Just google search local rim repair shops.
Thank you. Should they have the tire checked out with the local tire shop?
Old 06-18-2017, 12:05 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
The wheel is fixable, the tire is history.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by horseshoez
The wheel is fixable, the tire is history.
So they will need to go to the dealer then or their local tire shop for that then.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by comptr
So they will need to go to the dealer then or their local tire shop for that then.
Yup the tire is history whereas the rim is definitely fixable. In order to repair the rim
you will need to google local rim repair shops. Your average tire shop won't have the tools or expertise required to repair rims. Now in terms of the tire, is this RLX AWD or FWD? Also how much is the tire tread? To me it looks rather low in that picture so if it is low you are better off buying a set of 4 new tires vs getting the local tire shop to wear down a new tire for you. Alternatively you can always check local classifieds as someone may have the exact same tire at similar wear to yours if they are not too worn. You do not want to put tires with different wear depths on the same axle or too different between the front and back on an AWD car.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Yup the tire is history whereas the rim is definitely fixable. In order to repair the rim
you will need to google local rim repair shops. Your average tire shop won't have the tools or expertise required to repair rims. Now in terms of the tire, is this RLX AWD or FWD? Also how much is the tire tread? To me it looks rather low in that picture so if it is low you are better off buying a set of 4 new tires vs getting the local tire shop to wear down a new tire for you. Alternatively you can always check local classifieds as someone may have the exact same tire at similar wear to yours if they are not too worn. You do not want to put tires with different wear depths on the same axle or too different between the front and back on an AWD car.
Its a 2016 Advance FWD. They only bought the car last November. The car has only 4,500 miles on the odometer.

Last edited by comptr; 06-18-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by comptr
Its a 2016 Advance FWD. They only bought the car last November. The car has only 4,500 miles on the odometer.
Oh so the tires would be fairly new still, then go ahead and just take the rim to a wheel repair shop and buy a new tire (same brand/model as the others obviously) and any tire shop can install it for you and most likely the repair shop will have the tools to repair it and install the new tire on the rim/car for you.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:19 PM
Instructor

Oh so the tires would be fairly new still, then go ahead and just take the rim to a wheel repair shop and buy a new tire (same brand/model as the others obviously) and any tire shop can install it for you and most likely the repair shop will have the tools to repair it and install the new tire on the rim/car for you.
Ahh ok, Thank You. They are also going to call their service Advisor and see if he recommends a shop too.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Check the inside of the rim with the tire off for damage to the center of the wheel. I discovered damage on one of my wheels when I was having a rim straightened as it was bent. I did not fix it, but it is still there. What I am talking about is a black plastic component that goes around the inside of the rim that is part of the tire pressure monitoring system.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Check the inside of the rim with the tire off for damage to the center of the wheel. I discovered damage on one of my wheels when I was having a rim straightened as it was bent. I did not fix it, but it is still there. What I am talking about is a black plastic component that goes around the inside of the rim that is part of the tire pressure monitoring system.
I will have my parents check for the damage.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Here are some better Pics:
Old 06-18-2017, 11:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah that tire is gone for sure. No way to repair that at all and even if it hold air, there is way too big of a risk with it blowing.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:24 AM
Instructor

Yeah that tire is gone for sure. No way to repair that at all and even if it hold air, there is way too big of a risk with it blowing.
Ahh ok, I will let my parents know then. They were planning on talking the car to their local tire shop to check out the tire and then go to the dealership.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:41 PM
Instructor

Thank you all for the help. So my parents Service Advisor recommend a shop that the dealership uses to fix the wheels & they came out today and fixed the wheel. They made a appointment with the dealership for this week & they asked me to take it in, so they are having the tire replaced as long their advisor says it needs to be replaced. He told them we can drop off the car & they will give us a loner car while it gets fixed.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Yup, you can't repair side wall damage on a tire. But that rim is definitely fixable. I'd guess about $150 to have to fixed. (It depends where you're located and such, but it could be as cheap as $100 and as much as $250, though I would imagine either extreme is likely rare)
Old 06-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Yup, you can't repair side wall damage on a tire. But that rim is definitely fixable. I'd guess about $150 to have to fixed. (It depends where you're located and such, but it could be as cheap as $100 and as much as $250, though I would imagine either extreme is likely rare)
Yup its what they charged to fix the rim 150. The dealership uses the same company and the guy did a good job.