Whining Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 02:49 PM
2014 SH Advance/2006 Tech

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Whining Noise

Experts/Wisemen,

I am having a weird Issue on my SH-RLX 2014 Advanced. I hear a whining noise around 30mph in my sports hybrid when i give a gentle gas pedal to reach to 30-35 mph. I encounter it almost everyday from the past few months. I did not get time to take to the dealership so far. I took it today but as usual the technician could not find the Issue. I also notice that I see the RPM not staying as it should with a steady gas pedal pressure, i see the rpm meter moving 1-2 rpms around 1500 and also feel the car jolting slightly. This is not noticed by the technician. Why I am not surprised right?

Anyone encountered this Issue? I fought with the dealership for not diagnosing properly and finally decided to take to another dealership as I figured they do not have technician who is having expertise for SH-RLX. Before I do that I want to ask the experts here.

Let me know if there is an TSB for this.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Not an expert.....

First question: Have you tried to see if it does it when in Sport mode? I ask so we can rule out an intermediate switching from electric to the ICE repeatedly.

Second question: Is the noise coming from the front or the rear? I ask because if its coming from the rear, then it is most likely the rear electric motors.

This could also be coming from the dual clutch, especially if its coming from the front and the engine is lugging.

Also do you have the reactive force pedal set to High Force, by any chance?
Old 12-16-2016, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by pgeorg
Not an expert.....

First question: Have you tried to see if it does it when in Sport mode? I ask so we can rule out an intermediate switching from electric to the ICE repeatedly.

Second question: Is the noise coming from the front or the rear? I ask because if its coming from the rear, then it is most likely the rear electric motors.

This could also be coming from the dual clutch, especially if its coming from the front and the engine is lugging.

Also do you have the reactive force pedal set to High Force, by any chance?
For First Question: I did not try this in sports mode.. I will try it tonight and let you folks know.
For Second Question: I believe it is coming from the front. I hear the noise when I bring my windows down and well as windows up.
Lastly : I had it set to High force till morning. I changed that to low force while coming to work.

The other thing I noticed it that the whining is sporadic and significant when i am driving in the local roads and uphill...
After the car came from dealership last night, I drove to work this morning and it was all downhill so did not notice that whining.
I will let you know if I notice it when i drive tonight and over the weekend.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (12-16-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by sri_gondi
For First Question: I did not try this in sports mode.. I will try it tonight and let you folks know.
For Second Question: I believe it is coming from the front. I hear the noise when I bring my windows down and well as windows up.
Lastly : I had it set to High force till morning. I changed that to low force while coming to work.

The other thing I noticed it that the whining is sporadic and significant when i am driving in the local roads and uphill...
After the car came from dealership last night, I drove to work this morning and it was all downhill so did not notice that whining.
I will let you know if I notice it when i drive tonight and over the weekend.
For First Question: the sound is not noticed when driving in Sports mode . Probably the rpm stays
Last question: Though the pedal is et to low force i still hear the noise when driving uphill.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:34 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Has your dealership ruled out the timing belt TSB?

The TSB that addressed contact between the timing belt and the pulley causing a whining noise?

You mentioned a particular speed at which the ICE might or might not be running. Is the ICE running when you hear the whine?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:21 AM
Burning Brakes

^^
Just to clarify.....
I think if it was the timing belt problem, it would happen in "Sport" mode too.....he said it does not....
Also I believe the timing belt noise is described as a "Chirp".....
Old 12-19-2016, 08:41 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
^^
Just to clarify.....
I think if it was the timing belt problem, it would happen in "Sport" mode too.....he said it does not....
Maybe. :-)

If he's putting more torque on it just because he's in Sport Mode, though....
sri_gondi (04-12-2017)
Old 12-19-2016, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Very true.....
sri_gondi (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by George Knighton

The TSB that addressed contact between the timing belt and the pulley causing a whining noise?

You mentioned a particular speed at which the ICE might or might not be running. Is the ICE running when you hear the whine?
Do you know the TSB number by any chance?
Old 04-12-2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by George Knighton

Do you know the TSB number by any chance? I dropped the car at the dealership again today for the same issue and they have no clue of what I am experiencing. The advisor has asked me the TSB number for the Issue.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I believe this is the TSB George was referring to:

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B14-025.PDF
sri_gondi (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Geez, that is one very-helpful dealer. Maybe they should provide customer service and look up the TSB.
The following 2 users liked this post by miner:
sri_gondi (04-13-2017), TampaRLX-SH (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 09:51 AM

I believe this is the TSB George was referring to:

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B14-025.PDF
Thanks a lot.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:00 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I am one of those (anal retentive) people who keeps a binder for my car. Everything from window sticker, brochures, mailers, service receipts etc are in that binder. I also keep a TSB section and each time a TSB is posted in the forum that applies to my VIN, I print it out and add it to my binder. I have an excellent dealer, but in the past I have pulled out the binder on a service call to reference a TSB. It just validates you know what you are talking about as we often have communication difficulties describing an issue to the Service Manager.

pgeorg (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 10:00 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I am one of those (anal retentive) people who keeps a binder for my car. Everything from window sticker, brochures, mailers, service receipts etc are in that binder. I also keep a TSB section and each time a TSB is posted in the forum that applies to my VIN, I print it out and add it to my binder. I have an excellent dealer, but in the past I have pulled out the binder on a service call to reference a TSB. It just validates you know what you are talking about as we often have communication difficulties describing an issue to the Service Manager.

moose66 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 12:15 PM

Unsurprisingly the tech could not replicate the sound and is skeptical to apply the TSB . Its been 3 days and they are still working on this ..
Old 04-14-2017, 02:23 PM
Burning Brakes

I must point out that the specific TSB refers to a chirping, and not a whining noise. I think a whining noise would come from an electric motor of some kind (AC compressor, one of the hybrid electric motors, fan, etc). I personally would not let them apply this TSB, unless the Tech was sure that is the problem. I say that only because it is a very involved procedure, and other things might go wrong.
Just throwing this out there: we have a device in the front of the SH that makes a whining noise, only when in pure electric mode. Maybe that device is malfunctioning (whining when the engine is running also) and it needs to be replaced...... I would ask the Tech to unplug (disconnect) that specific device, and then you drive your SH for a couple of weeks and see the whining noise goes away......If not, then they can reconnect it. I have posted specific information on this, in a previous thread.......
sri_gondi (04-14-2017)