VSA "dialed" in too strong?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
hopefully I won't have to try it again what a disaster that was Tuesday...oof!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
hopefully I won't have to try it again what a disaster that was Tuesday...oof!
You might see something good come out of it in that Metro Atlanta's local governments have engaged Georgia in a discussion about how to better coordinate a several disparate emergency response systems so that it's handled better in the future...if it ever happens again.

There's a fairly well known retired general living in your area, and he went public about what he saw going wrong. I think he's helped wake up the governor and helped the State realize that some changes in local governmental systems are necessary.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
well, here's another scenario where it helped to turn it OFF. I was caught in the massive snow/ice storm yesterday here in Atlanta. 14-hours on the road in the RLX to get home. I actually had to end up abandoning my baby (luckily parked safely at a BP gas station) and picked up by a friend in a truck to make it home.

What I found was this:

* VSA worked very well in correcting steering as long as you are at least moving 15-20mpg or more.

* VSA worked HORRIBLY when on ice and moving from a completely stopped position. On every instance, as soon as you put gas on the pedal (even in the slightest bit), VSA would immediately detect loss of traction and would start trying to compensate. The end result is that the steering would immediately rock back-n-forth (completely out of my contro) and I would immediately start getting into a side-slide. Only when I turned off VSA did it allow me to keep the car straight when doing the stop-n-go on ice.

So, there....yes, I get it. VSA is a safety feature, but there are times where situations are better left to the driver to deal with certain conditions. There's a reason computers don't run the world.....yet

Personally, I leave the VSA switched ON in snow and ice conditions as it helps lessen the amount of fishtailing in my experience.
The only time I find it helps to switch off the VSA is if am stuck -- e.g. in a snowy parking lot that has not been plowed yet.
My experience is TSX specific though. I also have 4 dedicated winter tires on the car, and live in area where it snows a lot and the roads can get quite icy at times.

Last edited by johnrh; 02-09-2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Grandpa

Ummm.....

Yeah.....

:-)

I'm reviving your thread to let you know that I've had an experience which, while not quite as bad as yours, made me long for having my previous car, an SH-AWD vehicle.

We just had 18" of snow dumped on us here in rural Virginia. The RLX is *not* a snow vehicle!!

LOL....
Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ ROFL! Now you know what I'm talking about! She stays in the garage from now on when it snows here
Old 02-16-2014, 08:11 AM
Grandpa

^ ROFL! Now you know what I'm talking about! She stays in the garage from now on when it snows here
We had some warm weather yesterday, which caused some of the blizzard snow to melt onto the dry pavement and freeze starting around 8:00 PM here.

I noticed the VSA light come on several times, but I was impressed with how well it worked and I really didn't feel anything. The only sign that something was happening was the VSA light, and the car kept moving just fine.

However...a couple of days earlier, I was definitely having a few "holografique moments" when I wasn't sure the car was going to keep moving and VSA switched to off for the best results.

My TL would've been fine in the same circumstances, I think.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Interesting to see some of what I was asking for implemented as IDS in the new TLX.

Hopefully we'll see this in the RLX in an MMC update...