Why is everyone hating on the RLX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
How does P-AWS factor into this? Does it make the RLX experience better than the Accord experience?
Old 04-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
How does P-AWS factor into this? Does it make the RLX experience better than the Accord experience?

No question that is does but is it worth another $20K?
We'll have to let the market decide...
Old 04-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sonor Kid 2
No question that is does but is it worth another $20K?
We'll have to let the market decide...
Is it really a $20k difference? Will adding a V6 engine, etc to the Accord cut down the price difference?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Horsepower and Torque numbers are what they are, whether DI or not. If you take a two engines that have identical HP/tq ratings and one is DI and one is not, the DI isn't going to be faster. It may though be more fuel efficient and provide cleaner emissions due to a cleaner burn.

The RLX has 272 ft/lbs of torque, the Accord V6 has 252 ft/lbs. Direct injection is most likely one component of the increased HP/torque numbers of the RLX.

Having said all that, while everyone quotes horsepower, torque is what is really important.

The extra 400 lbs of weigh on the RLX will negate the extra 20 ft lbs advantage it has over the RLX.

Unless of course you factor in the "superior wheels and larger diameter" of the RLX. (Tongue implanted firmly in cheek).
Old 04-18-2013, 06:37 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 037

Thanks for the reminder!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Blind Spot Monitoring is not a big deal anymore.

My son's 2009 Mazda 6 Grand Touring has BSM. I have it in my Cadillac. It should be a standard feature in a flagship sedan.
True BSM is becoming common place, but BSI is rare, I like the Infiniti implementations because the each have and intervention component, BSI and LDP both will nudge the brakes on the opposite side to nudge you back into your lane.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by noobie
The CLA is a $30K car. If people didn't care why did Cadillac almost die when they churned out those FWD Cimmarons and the rest of their FWD cars?

People care, the sales prove it, whether you think it matters to them technically or not.
That is not even a fair comparison. That was a different era, they rushed out a crappy FWD Cimmaron to help with fuel economy and to have something cheap, all their cars back then were crap and they were trying anything to keep or get customers.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Horsepower and Torque numbers are what they are, whether DI or not. If you take a two engines that have identical HP/tq ratings and one is DI and one is not, the DI isn't going to be faster. It may though be more fuel efficient and provide cleaner emissions due to a cleaner burn.

The RLX has 272 ft/lbs of torque, the Accord V6 has 252 ft/lbs. Direct injection is most likely one component of the increased HP/torque numbers of the RLX.

Having said all that, while everyone quotes horsepower, torque is what is really important.

The extra 400 lbs of weigh on the RLX will negate the extra 20 ft lbs advantage it has over the RLX.

Unless of course you factor in the "superior wheels and larger diameter" of the RLX. (Tongue implanted firmly in cheek).
It seems you have no understanding. starting from stablizer.
how heavy is TSX V6. compared to Accord 8G V6 and its 0-100mph times?. Even though both have identical torques.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
I would not say that a FWD handles better by any means but I think that a decent AWD system "a la Acura's SH-AWD" can sure offset the fwd bias of a vehicle and give it great driving capability. It is a true 50/50 balanced car, not but it is still very decent to drive and IF it would looked amazing on the outside and inside with innovation and luxury

That is why that I am still saying that Acura could, if they wanted, bring their brand and sales up if they did some amazing vehicles and this, despite keeping their SH-AWD and not going RWD....but they will have to do incredible work to overcome or compensate for the RWD lacking in the lineup. !
I do not want to get too of topic, but I owned. AWD TL for 18 months and while I loved it I will make these controversial observations. I recently cross shopped the Audi A4/S4 as I was trying to figure out what my next car will be. On one day I drove Audi back to back with AWD TL and will say the following:
- the Audi handling was far better in the fact that is was great handling with a comfortable ride. The TL was too firm and harsh after getting out of the Audi.
- while I love the SH-AWD I think the firm suspension deserves as much credit for the handling as the SH-AWD. Drive for a while with the AWD display in the MID and you will see the car is mostly FWD and only when you push it do you see power go to the rear wheels. Quattro on the other hand is sending power to all wheels all the time. Yes SH-AWD is technically superior, but I believe most of what you feel is the suspension before you feel the AWD.

Don't get me wrong I love Acura, but if they want to leverage SH-AWD like Audi does Quatro then Acura need to have the SH-AWD be engaged more and not rely on the suspension.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
how heavy is TSX V6. compared to Accord 8G V6 and its 0-100mph times?. Even though both have identical torques.

You can't be for real.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

You can't be for real.
he'll come back and clarify his statement...probably to the effect of having superiors tires and wheels again...and bigger stabilizer bar?
The following users liked this post:
GoHawks (04-18-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 01:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

You can't be for real.
sure. i am making point. how much is 0-60 difference between 6MT TSX and 6MT ILX with same engine?. TSX is 500 lbs heavier.
RLX is technologically more advanced engine than Accord with alot of broad torque availability. RLX more isolated ride makes it feel slow.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
It is interesting that the Accord has come in to the discussion whereas the TL was always the compared vehicle. It all comes down to if you can afford the extra for items that are of value to you then go for the higher priced car. I have never thought that the TL was a competitor to the RL and I don't think that the TLX will be a competitor to the RLX. The quality, exclusivity, features and technology will always be higher in the RLX.
Not all SH-AWD systems are the same - the RL is the most sophisticated with the MDX, RDX and TL being lesser versions. Even the plastic on the indicator stalk feels different, the Accord is hard with a smooth finish while the RL has a matte softer feel. There are thousands of examples of the differences, if you compare some options then you may find numerous cars that share the same features but their implementation and sophistication is probably different.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by db22
It is interesting that the Accord has come in to the discussion whereas the TL was always the compared vehicle. It all comes down to if you can afford the extra for items that are of value to you then go for the higher priced car. I have never thought that the TL was a competitor to the RL and I don't think that the TLX will be a competitor to the RLX. The quality, exclusivity, features and technology will always be higher in the RLX.
Not all SH-AWD systems are the same - the RL is the most sophisticated with the MDX, RDX and TL being lesser versions. Even the plastic on the indicator stalk feels different, the Accord is hard with a smooth finish while the RL has a matte softer feel. There are thousands of examples of the differences, if you compare some options then you may find numerous cars that share the same features but their implementation and sophistication is probably different.
The TL when SH-AWD came out clobbered the RL it was bigger and roomier and had all the same features, sure the RL might have had some better quality materials, but there is a reason RL sales tanked big after the T4G TL came out.

The Accord Touring is a legitimate competitor to the current TL in many areas. Sure it is not as luxurious, but it is has far more tech, is just as roomy and unless you need AWD, the Accord is a bargain. That said I would still probably want a TL over an Accord, but for many, they will take the extra features, better MPG and keep the extra $5K in their pocket.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

To me, the TL feels like a Honda and the RL feels like an Acura and if I was looking at the TL then I would buy the Accord. It would save me money and it has the added advantage of that you can look at the Accord whereas the TL can only be taken out at night when you cant see the fugly front or the hideous rear.
I know, it's only an opinion but I bet I'm not alone.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by db22
To me, the TL feels like a Honda and the RL feels like an Acura and if I was looking at the TL then I would buy the Accord. It would save me money and it has the added advantage of that you can look at the Accord whereas the TL can only be taken out at night when you cant see the fugly front or the hideous rear.
I know, it's only an opinion but I bet I'm not alone.
That's funny, I'm glad I was able to start my day with a chuckle.

Seriously though, I think the RL and the ZDX (RIP) were the only Acuras that felt like luxury vehicles to me. Much as I admire the current MDX, I can immediately see and feel the shortcuts Acura made to keep the price low. Ditto the TL.

That being said, the Acura pattern is to take features from the RL and put them in the TL so the two cars become so functionally similar that the RL almost becomes redundant. That's just how they are.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

That being said, the Acura pattern is to take features from the RL and put them in the TL so the two cars become so functionally similar that the RL almost becomes redundant. That's just how they are.
I agree, in fact the TL overtook the old RL in many features but never in quality.
The RLX may not excite a lot of people but it will have quality, exclusivity, high technology and above all it will work long after the competition will have been in the shop for a few times.
jhr3uva90 (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
It's worth noting that the 2G RL enjoyed a full product cycle with SH-AWD as the separator between itself and the 3G TL. It was only a byproduct of the extra long 2G RL life that the cars had such a significant overlap in drivetrains. Had the economy not tanked 08-09, it's likely that the new RLX would have followed the '09 TL within a year.

This is nothing new. If you recall the original VTEC that debuted on the NSX and Integra were DOHC designs that operated on both intake and exhaust. Later, they added VTEC to the Honda line that was much simpler, SOHC intake only systems that were marketed under the VTEC brand name.

SH-AWD that debuted in the RL uses a carbon fiber reinforced driveshaft with a planetary gearset to variably add overspeed to the outside rear wheel. In later versions, I believe this could add up to ~5% overdrive. Other SH-AWD versions use steel driveshafts and a fixed 1.8% overspeed ratio.

Last edited by Colin; 04-19-2013 at 02:17 PM.
WheelMcCoy (04-20-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 06:11 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
It's worth noting that the 2G RL enjoyed a full product cycle with SH-AWD as the separator between itself and the 3G TL. It was only a byproduct of the extra long 2G RL life that the cars had such a significant overlap in drivetrains. Had the economy not tanked 08-09, it's likely that the new RLX would have followed the '09 TL within a year.

This is nothing new. If you recall the original VTEC that debuted on the NSX and Integra were DOHC designs that operated on both intake and exhaust. Later, they added VTEC to the Honda line that was much simpler, SOHC intake only systems that were marketed under the VTEC brand name.

SH-AWD that debuted in the RL uses a carbon fiber reinforced driveshaft with a planetary gearset to variably add overspeed to the outside rear wheel. In later versions, I believe this could add up to ~5% overdrive. Other SH-AWD versions use steel driveshafts and a fixed 1.8% overspeed ratio.
Yea, that's why I really liked the RL when it came out. If you understand the car inside out, then you know that is a very good car back then. I really wanted to get a 2006 one a few years ago as the price was quite attractive for what you get. I think it was something like $25k and you could get a fully loaded 2006 RL with low mileage.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Originally Posted by Colin

Absolutely correct, and I bet no one ever notice the difference from a driving dynamics perspective.

That's because most people didn't appreciate SH-AWD.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
the next tlx will be crucial for acura. If they get it right, it will help them substantially. If they mess up the tlx, acura will suffer.
+1