RLX Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
RLX Purchase

Thinking of purchasing an RLX. Been an enthusiast forever...6 Legends, 2 04 RL's 3 TL's, honda accords etc. Wanting to know you guys' take on which years are the best. Not looking to purchase new. Saw a few 14-16's with great miles. Would be looking for Advance package. Thanks for the input.
The following users liked this post:
Barbecue Tech Tips (10-19-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 06:30 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,185 Posts
Are you looking for fwd, sh-awd, or hybrid? Most folks seemed to very happy with the hybrid RLX. I don't know the 14-16 RLX models well enough to know if there was a non-hybrid Adv. The updated +18 RLX only come in 3.5L+10AT fwd Tech or the RLX hybrid Adv models only.
jmsmiff (10-19-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 228 Posts
Not sure about your budget, but if you got a little money to spend you should be looking at Used 2018-2020 RLX Sport Hybrid. Best bang for you buck and it is fully loaded with everything you could ever want in a car. If you look hard, you can find super low miles 2020 RLX Sport Hybrid for mid $40K without any problems. 2018-2019 is even better deals with higher miles. These cars take a huge depreciation right after they're driven off the lot. And now with their demise in the USA, Acura is giving huge incentives ($12K off) to move remaining inventory. Good luck with search!
rlx015 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 11:52 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
I'd rather bet on the 6 speed holding up than that 10 speed.

Plus you can get a 2016-2017 with less than 10k miles CPO for $20k in my area.

Why would I pay another 10k for a base 18+ RLX that has less features as a Advanced trim without the maintaince cost and wear of a AWD and complete hybrid system.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jmsmiff
Thinking of purchasing an RLX. Been an enthusiast forever...6 Legends, 2 04 RL's 3 TL's, honda accords etc. Wanting to know you guys' take on which years are the best. Not looking to purchase new. Saw a few 14-16's with great miles. Would be looking for Advance package. Thanks for the input.
16-17 have the updated suspension tuning for a softer ride. 18+ was updated again, probably not a noticeable difference to warrant $5k+.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:42 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Barbecue Tech Tips
16-17 have the updated suspension tuning for a softer ride. 18+ was updated again, probably not a noticeable difference to warrant $5k+.
What all was updated in the suspensions? I've read the 14 PAWS had a terribly harsh ride. Are the 18-20 SH still harsh?
Old 10-21-2020, 03:37 PM
mrgold35

The +18 SH RLX ride is tuned for comfort instead of sport. My 19 MDX hybrid has a stiffer suspension with electronic dampers and handles noticeably better in the curves than my RLX. The +18 RLX is more of straight line drag strip hot rod. That comfort tuned suspension along with low cabin noise levels make for a smoother ride on poor city roads and very relaxing at hwy speeds.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrgold35
The +18 SH RLX ride is tuned for comfort instead of sport. My 19 MDX hybrid has a stiffer suspension with electronic dampers and handles noticeably better in the curves than my RLX. The +18 RLX is more of straight line drag strip hot rod. That comfort tuned suspension along with low cabin noise levels make for a smoother ride on poor city roads and very relaxing at hwy speeds.
OK thanks, so they improved the suspension on 18+ RLX vs the 14. I recall reading that the suspension on the 14 was harsher than budget mainstream vehicles, not sure what happened there, but it was resolved?
Old 10-21-2020, 03:53 PM
Racer

No doubt the MDX SH is amazing to drive. More than enough power for me, and I love the way it handles.

Have you ever driven a post 2018 MMC 1G TLX V6? What is the driving experience and handling compared to that?

The post 2018 MMC TLX V6 interior reminds me of a smaller version of the MDX SH. Both have similarly good ELS audio, and the MDX has slightly less road/wind noise, but both are much better in that regard compared to the 3G RDX. The MDX SH is a better overall driving experience and seems a drivers SUV (reminds me of non-S Porsche Cayenne) except that the TLX launches better, unless the MDX SH is in Sport Sequential mode, then it's the MDX all the way. The TLX seems a good commuter vehicle.

Have always been curious about the RLX SH. Are the repairs more expensive than German (very rare, import parts from Japan), which concerns me a bit.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
Have always been curious about the RLX SH. Are the repairs more expensive than German (very rare, import parts from Japan), which concerns me a bit.
I've thought about this when I purchased my RLX SH. Dealers are supposed to keep parts in-stock for repairs for a number of years. Even if the car is discontinued, parts will still be available for decades to come. In that respect I'm not too concerned about availability of parts. The RLX SH drivetrain is very similiar to our MDX SH. In the 3 years that we have owned that SUV, the only "major" repair was a replacement for premature dead battery that was covered under warranty. Oil and gas is all that she needs, it's a pretty bullet proof system. The rear diff oil change is very important at 15K and again at 30K. Some people think this is too early for diff oil change so they skip it, that's a big mistake. I've seen major mechanic failures due to skipping this importance service. I plan to follow recommended service to a T.

IMO, the only way to make sure if the car fits your needs is to test drive it yourself. You can ask for opinions on forums all day, but people are subjective. Some may said suspension is too stiff, some too soft. NOW is a great time to purchase a new car. Due to COVID most dealers are offering super low finance rates or 0.00% and attractive incentives. You can get $12K discount on MSRP of the RLX SH easily without even asking.

Last edited by jdpdata; 10-21-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by jmsmiff
I am still undetermined on how soon I'd like to get RLX Sport Hybrid, but it is one of the top runners for me: based on my research I plan to stay with the latest redesign 2018-2020 ... I have not read much of positive stuff on 2014-2017 models.
I can tell you I did test drive used 40k 2015 RLX (FWD) and hated it - not sure if it was that specific model, but it was really feeling like a cheap chevy bucket... (no offense to Chevy owners) lol ...
I did test drive 2018 FWD - also did not like it... perhaps because I currently drive SH-AWD (06 RL)...

One I definitely felt at home with was 2020 RLX Sport Hybrid I test drove recently... unfortunately, I do not plan to purchase a brand new due to price, I am likely hunting for a 2018-2019 SH-AWD, used (under warranty), not necessary to be certified, because I can get Acura Care as long as the car has manufacturer warranty active (comprehensive one) ...

Good luck on the hunt - my suggestion is go for 2018... you can find them for upper 20s (FWD) and low 30s (Sport Hybrid)...
Old 10-21-2020, 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 185 Posts
No doubt the MDX SH is amazing to drive. More than enough power for me, and I love the way it handles.
Have you ever driven a post 2018 MMC 1G TLX V6? What is the driving experience and handling compared to that?
The post 2018 MMC TLX V6 interior reminds me of a smaller version of the MDX SH. Both have similarly good ELS audio, and the MDX has slightly less road/wind noise, but both are much better in that regard compared to the 3G RDX. The MDX SH is a better overall driving experience and seems a drivers SUV (reminds me of non-S Porsche Cayenne) except that the TLX launches better, unless the MDX SH is in Sport Sequential mode, then it's the MDX all the way. The TLX seems a good commuter vehicle.
In all honesty, I would not touch any TLX with a 10ft pole... killing off TSX and TL to make a Frankenstein TLX was just NEVER a good decision/strategy...
Car was always TSX inside, v6 engine under the hood (TSX V6 model-based), only thing from TL it got was the 66% of the model (TLx) lol ...

If you are looking for sporty performance with decent technology, look for 2013-2014 TL SH-AWD Tech package... this will set you back between 12k and 18-19k depending on mileage on odo.
If you are looking for something sport but more luxurious to enjoy, 2018+ RLX Sport Hybrid with whatever miles... for example as long as it is under 4yr/50k, you can purchase Acura Care (additional warranty) yourself and not worry about the thing.

Me personally, I was looking at SUVs, but not having kids yet I do not really need it... wife can get one after her TL lol ... me personally, I am ok with RLX size wise, and also have to say I have been spoiled by my RL I had for the last almost 10 years.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rl015
If you are looking for something sport but more luxurious to enjoy, 2018+ RLX Sport Hybrid with whatever miles... for example as long as it is under 4yr/50k, you can purchase Acura Care (additional warranty) yourself and not worry about the thing.
Where do you get AcuraCare (is that same as VSC) and how much 7/100K miles extension warranty should cost? When I purchased my RLX, the finance guy tried to push VSC 7/100K extended warranty for $2595. I quickly declined it. I did counter offer $1500 but he couldn't do it. I wouldn't mind paying $1500 for 7 years of worry-free driving. This thing has lots of expensive electronics that could go bad after 4/50K warranty expires.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Where do you get AcuraCare (is that same as VSC) and how much 7/100K miles extension warranty should cost? When I purchased my RLX, the finance guy tried to push VSC 7/100K extended warranty for $2595. I quickly declined it. I did counter offer $1500 but he couldn't do it. I wouldn't mind paying $1500 for 7 years of worry-free driving. This thing has lots of expensive electronics that could go bad after 4/50K warranty expires.
I don't know if you can get for $1500. Best I've heard is ~$2100 for RLX SH.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rl015
In all honesty, I would not touch any TLX with a 10ft pole... killing off TSX and TL to make a Frankenstein TLX was just NEVER a good decision/strategy...
Car was always TSX inside, v6 engine under the hood (TSX V6 model-based), only thing from TL it got was the 66% of the model (TLx) lol ...

If you are looking for sporty performance with decent technology, look for 2013-2014 TL SH-AWD Tech package... this will set you back between 12k and 18-19k depending on mileage on odo.

Me personally, I was looking at SUVs, but not having kids yet I do not really need it... wife can get one after her TL lol ... me personally, I am ok with RLX size wise, and also have to say I have been spoiled by my RL I had for the last almost 10 years.
2018+ TLX is a heck of a lot better than an Accord in many ways that matter for a commuter vehicle (Seat comfort, NVH, audio). Im sure the RLX wins on those 3, but the TLX isn't bad there at all. I'd slot it between a TSX and TL, which is what it was intended to do.

RLX has always been an interesting vehicle. A true underappreciated sleeper. Sorry to see it go. Wish they kept at least the Sport Hybrids for 2021 and at least put the 2020 TLX/MDX infotainment with CarPlay, MDX IDS and SH adaptive dampers and 2020 MDX real wood.

I really like my TLX but don't love it. I LOVE my MDX Sport Hybrid, especially the way it handles. I like my TLX a heck of a lot better than my previous Accord. The TLX is a comfortable good enough commuter. The Accord was not. The audio, seat comfort, and NVH of the Accord were terrible. The 1G TLX improves on that so much.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 10-22-2020 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:14 AM
mrgold35

It was between used/CPO TLX A-Spec in V-6 or I-4 models or the RLX hybrid when I was looking last fall. Whichever vehicle the wife liked was going to be a replacement for the wife's red 08 RDX tech we gave to our daughter (Hondata+ETS intercooler+progress RSB). We did back-to-back test drive starting with the TLX first and RLX last. Very similar interior look with the TLX and the same tech to our 19 MDX hybrid and it reminded us of our 06 TSX A-Spec in feel/size/ride. The wife and I just didn't feel a connection with the TLX along with the tighter cabin, small back seat, engine noise, and road noise not helping. Probably would have gone for the TLX if we were 10-15 years younger.

We jumped into the RLX hybrid with the wife behind the wheel and it took probably 30 seconds and she turned to me and said "I love this car!". The RLX does have its issues like older info-tainment, no electronic dampers, weak candlelight interior lighting, no carplay, fake plastic wood trim, 15 gal fuel tank, small trunk space, and suspension always tuned towards comfort. It was just everything else from the exterior styling, unique LED headlights, extra wide and longer SUV size cabin, noticeable reduction of road noise, Krell+HUD, instant tq of hybrid power, always +28-29 mpgs, and the dash/door design and trim. The dealership in TX we did the test drive didn't have the color combo we wanted and their no haggle pricing was $3500 higher compared to other dealership with a internet search.

I really like how the RLX looks like a $60,000 car you can get for 1/2 that price; that, is extremely unique on any road in North America. I'm lucky to see 1 other RLX on the road every 2-3 months compared to 20-30 TLXs in the same amount of time.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
It was between used/CPO TLX A-Spec in V-6 or I-4 models or the RLX hybrid when I was looking last fall. Whichever vehicle the wife liked was going to be a replacement for the wife's red 08 RDX tech we gave to our daughter (Hondata+ETS intercooler+progress RSB). We did back-to-back test drive starting with the TLX first and RLX last. Very similar interior look with the TLX and the same tech to our 19 MDX hybrid and it reminded us of our 06 TSX A-Spec in feel/size/ride. The wife and I just didn't feel a connection with the TLX along with the tighter cabin, small back seat, engine noise, and road noise not helping. Probably would have gone for the TLX if we were 10-15 years younger.

We jumped into the RLX hybrid with the wife behind the wheel and it took probably 30 seconds and she turned to me and said "I love this car!". The RLX does have its issues like older info-tainment, no electronic dampers, weak candlelight interior lighting, no carplay, fake plastic wood trim, 15 gal fuel tank, small trunk space, and suspension always tuned towards comfort. It was just everything else from the exterior styling, unique LED headlights, extra wide and longer SUV size cabin, noticeable reduction of road noise, Krell+HUD, instant tq of hybrid power, always +28-29 mpgs, and the dash/door design and trim. The dealership in TX we did the test drive didn't have the color combo we wanted and their no haggle pricing was $3500 higher compared to other dealership with a internet search.

I really like how the RLX looks like a $60,000 car you can get for 1/2 that price; that, is extremely unique on any road in North America. I'm lucky to see 1 other RLX on the road every 2-3 months compared to 20-30 TLXs in the same amount of time.
Every 2-3 months? lucky you, I have not seen anyone driving this car here in south Florida. This led me to believe I'm the only one driving this exotic car here
Old 10-22-2020, 07:06 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 178 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by jdpdata
In July I paid $2100 for 7 years 120k mile total No deductible Acura Care for my new 2020 RLX Advance. These price of these warranty’s are very negotiable. You can shop various dealers to get best pricing. I did on my VW GTi years ago and on my 2019 Corvette. Both Chevy and VW dealers were asking almost twice the price and immediately came down when I showed them competing dealers price via emails. Of course I got the “those prices are our net cost”.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:03 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
The 16 and 17 PAWS models suspension was revised so I would go with that. I would also go with the Advanced models. Plenty online with under 40k miles for the mid 20's. What a hell of a deal for a quiet, smooth, roomy, (sometimes) sporty modern car with a killer sound system.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:25 PM
mrgold35

Here is a link of previous Acura's brochures. You can check out the trim levels of different years of RLX's on your list. Sometimes, the brochures are from Canada with metric specs instead of USA sometimes.

Auto-Brochures.com|Acura Car, CUV & SUV PDF Sales Brochure/Catalog/Flyer/Info CL ILX Integra Legend MDX NSX RDX RL RLX RSX TL TLX TSX Vigor ZDX
CadiGTi (10-24-2020)