RLX: Most Disliked Cars of 2013

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Good Vibes

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
RLX: Most Disliked Cars of 2013

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2...=outbrain_test

Awesome, this should provide a price discount!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I am really getting to hate these writers and reviewers. I agree everyone is entitled to their opinion, but really the MKZ? It may be disliked by the reviewers, but it is selling very well for Lincoln. Take the article for what it is worth, nothing!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
I look at car reviews like I do movie reviews. Listen to them to get a sense of what the movie/car is all about, but ignore any editorial comments/opinions as they often clash with my own.

The RLX is an easy target for bad reviews because the reviewers know it will not sell in appreciable numbers no matter how good the car is because it lacks snob appeal in a automotive segment/price range that demands snob appeal. As island beef said, all the better for those of us who are loyal to the Honda/Acura brand and don't want snob appeal.
The following users liked this post:
victorber (11-10-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Good Vibes

Snob Appeal does not necessarily equate to smart money. In this financial climate, it's not safe to follow rich idiots.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I saw a Lexus LS460 today. That is one ugly car. I just don't see how Acura always loses on style points
The following 2 users liked this post by getakey:
cincinnatikid (11-07-2013), victorber (11-10-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I happen to like the Big Lex, though the last gen with the subtler grille was nicer.

I like the RLX's understated style, especially with the right wheels.

I guess I fall into the reviewers' "Hondaphiles who don't mind a Honda Accord plus". Foo on the reviewers.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I stopped by one of the malls in Raleigh today to get some lunch and there in the center of the mall was an RLX Advance on display. It was the first time I'd seen one up close and was able to really check out the lines of the car. Personally, I like the RLX. The one on display was white with the "seacoast" interior. I thought it looked sharp.

Several people stopped to look at it while I was watching. Its sticker showed an asking price of $61k. After checking out the car real well and knowing it could be purchased for several thousand less, I didn't think it seemed that overpriced. It has a rich look inside and out to me. Yes, it's a bit understated but I kind of like that about it.

If I weren't a TL guy and hopefully soon to be a TLX guy, and were in the market for a $50k + car, I could certainly see one in my garage.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by a32tl
I stopped by one of the malls in Raleigh today to get some lunch and there in the center of the mall was an RLX Advance on display. It was the first time I'd seen one up close and was able to really check out the lines of the car. Personally, I like the RLX. The one on display was white with the "seacoast" interior. I thought it looked sharp.

Several people stopped to look at it while I was watching. Its sticker showed an asking price of $61k. After checking out the car real well and knowing it could be purchased for several thousand less, I didn't think it seemed that overpriced. It has a rich look inside and out to me. Yes, it's a bit understated but I kind of like that about it.

If I weren't a TL guy and hopefully soon to be a TLX guy, and were in the market for a $50k + car, I could certainly see one in my garage.
I at first didn't like the RLX but now I really do, and I say this as one is sitting on the show room right next to me, white on seacoast is one beautiful combination. I think the front and side could use a little love for sure but it is a nice car.

I can't see how it's the most HATED cars out there, maybe a little dry yes, but my gosh look at the Nissan Juke. I'm sorry but it is the ugliest car I've ever seen!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Honestly, the RLX is not a bad car, but it just does not do enough to distinguish itself from the top of the line Accord, especially the latest Touring model. It just does not feel twice as special as the Accord, given the price tag.

When my brother tested the RLX earlier this year, he liked it generally, but just struggled to see the value.

http://www.eastwestbrothersgarage.co...-aws-tech.html
Old 11-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Honestly, the RLX is not a bad car, but it just does not do enough to distinguish itself from the top of the line Accord, especially the latest Touring model. It just does not feel twice as special as the Accord, given the price tag.

When my brother tested the RLX earlier this year, he liked it generally, but just struggled to see the value.

http://www.eastwestbrothersgarage.co...-aws-tech.html
I agree, It's lacking some kick WOWZA factor that car's in this price range should carry. I think it's down on interior advanced technologies, apart from being one of the most self driving cars on the market today.

That and if they did some styling changes to the side, front grill, and especially the rims they might have something pretty sweet!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:34 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
^^^^^

Also Acura needs lots and lots of effort to boost it's stagnant brand image, otherwise it is hopeless to sell $50+K sedans no matter how good the car is.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Hopefully the hybrid version coming next month will give the RLX the kick it needs. I hope Acura gets it just right. I really want this car to be a success for them.
The following 2 users liked this post by a35tl:
cincinnatikid (11-08-2013), victorber (11-10-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
I saw a Lexus LS460 today. That is one ugly car. I just don't see how Acura always loses on style points
Really? I like the 460. Believe it or not, I have only seen one RLX on the road and was like WTF. C'mon Acura, did you guys design the Legend? The led headlights next to my HIDs weren't even as bright.

Originally Posted by a32tl
Hopefully the hybrid version coming next month will give the RLX the kick it needs. I hope Acura gets it just right. I really want this car to be a success for them.
If the car does not sell at a ridiculous premium over the base model, they might have a chance. But with almost every manufacturer offering some type hybrid at every level, it might be a tough sell and not make much of a difference.

Last edited by g37guy01; 11-09-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
that article is a load of crap.. they have the most baseless criticisms of the RLX! at one point the guy called it a glorifed Accord.. the only Acura close to the Accord is the TL with Navi.. after that there is on comparison.

For the price of the RLX, you get more features than any other luxury brands! Benz and Audi charge 48-50K for an A6 and E-Class and they don't even have HIDs or heated seats standard!

I'm sure my fellow Acura fans on this site can back me up on this..
victorber (11-22-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
I look at car reviews like I do movie reviews. Listen to them to get a sense of what the movie/car is all about, but ignore any editorial comments/opinions as they often clash with my own.

The RLX is an easy target for bad reviews because the reviewers know it will not sell in appreciable numbers no matter how good the car is because it lacks snob appeal in a automotive segment/price range that demands snob appeal. As island beef said, all the better for those of us who are loyal to the Honda/Acura brand and don't want snob appeal.
amen to this!
Old 11-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Good Vibes

Originally Posted by deepen03
that article is a load of crap.. they have the most baseless criticisms of the RLX! at one point the guy called it a glorifed Accord.. the only Acura close to the Accord is the TL with Navi.. after that there is on comparison.

For the price of the RLX, you get more features than any other luxury brands! Benz and Audi charge 48-50K for an A6 and E-Class and they don't even have HIDs or heated seats standard!

I'm sure my fellow Acura fans on this site can back me up on this..
A glorified Accord? That sounds like a compliment to me.

Better than to be called a glorified VW (AUDI), a glorified DATSUN (Infiniti) or a glorified CAMRY (LEXUS).
Old 11-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Is it just me? I feel the interior in the 2 gen RL was of better quailty in fit and finish than the RLX. The interior was very dissapointing. I really wanted to like the RLX as I loved the RL. Im stil a TL guy though, as I like my cars sporty and my test drive revield nothing sporty about the RLX. Then again its not markedted as sporty and Acura did a good job making sure it wasn't.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Originally Posted by dwest1023
Is it just me? I feel the interior in the 2 gen RL was of better quailty in fit and finish than the RLX. The interior was very dissapointing. I really wanted to like the RLX as I loved the RL. Im stil a TL guy though, as I like my cars sporty and my test drive revield nothing sporty about the RLX. Then again its not markedted as sporty and Acura did a good job making sure it wasn't.
The RLX seems to appeal to the left-brain, logical side (safe, reliable, roomy well-appointed and functional) but does not appear to be intended to appeal to the right-brain, emotional, visceral side(sexy, attractive, adrenaline-pumping excitement). The solution seems to be to buy an RLX to get you to work or the golf course or to take on a cross-country trip and then buy a new NSX to satisfy your primal needs at the local racetrack. For those lacking the garage space, the SHAWD version is an attempt to add enough fun to driving the RLX to satisfy the entire brain.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:32 AM
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
The RLX seems to appeal to the left-brain, logical side (safe, reliable, roomy well-appointed and functional) but does not appear to be intended to appeal to the right-brain, emotional, visceral side(sexy, attractive, adrenaline-pumping excitement). The solution seems to be to buy an RLX to get you to work or the golf course or to take on a cross-country trip and then buy a new NSX to satisfy your primal needs at the local racetrack. For those lacking the garage space, the SHAWD version is an attempt to add enough fun to driving the RLX to satisfy the entire brain.

That's my plan, an SH-SH-AWD RLX for commuting, trips, etc, and an NSX for the private track 5 miles from my place and the nice twisties here in the north GA mountains.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
The RLX has proved so unpopular in FWD configuration that Acura is giving dealers $3,000.00 each Advance Package car they sell.

This means very, very good deals if you like the FWD Advance.

They're basically covering the dealer to allow him to go *below* the invoice.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I am behind the times!!

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/acura-rlx-current-incentives-nov-5th-13-jan-6-14-a-899417/ <---Lots more money than I thought!

:-)

Not even tempted, though. Gotta be SH-AWD.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate to say this but the reviewer is probably just stating the truth. The current generation RLX was highly anticipated as the previous generation had severely aged -- long overdue for a replacement. I remember the disappointment and quite frankly shock that I felt when I saw the RLX concept photos from the New York auto show.

The design is boring, bland and non-distinctive in an ever competitive segment that includes the new Cadillac CTS, XTS, updated Mercedes E-Class, Lexus GS, BMW 5 series and Audi A6. While some of the competitors may not be as striking in design as some others in the segment, they enjoy strong brand name recognition which the Acura does not have.

Merely incorporating advanced driver assistance and safety features is not enough. Many of these features are now available on mainstream brands.

Acura is in desperate need of a WOW factor! I hope they are able to turn the corner with the next generation TLX.

Last edited by GrigioTL; 11-23-2013 at 04:03 PM.
GoHawks (11-23-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
The RLX has proved so unpopular in FWD configuration that Acura is giving dealers $3,000.00 each Advance Package car they sell.

This means very, very good deals if you like the FWD Advance.

They're basically covering the dealer to allow him to go *below* the invoice.
We get $5500 for them
Old 11-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by deepen03
For the price of the RLX, you get more features than any other luxury brands!
Except there's the Kia Cadenza.

Which highlights the problem with the RLX as a selling proposition: A car is more than the sum total of its features.

Just about everyone who's reviewed the RLX comes away with the conclusion that the driving experience of the car just isn't that special. And it's easy to figure out why. When Acura designed the car in the depths of the '09 Great Recession and the Japan tsunami, it simply decided it couldn't/shouldn't invest to bring the car's fundamental underpinnings up to the standard of all the competitors already in its size and price class: a V8 powering a bespoke platform designed for favorable weight distribution with RWD or AWD. As a result, it doesn't perform up to the standard of competitors who made that investment.

The other half of the problem is your mention of "luxury brands." I'm a proud and satisfied Acura owner, but the cold reality is that the market largely doesn't see Acura as a luxury brand worthy of a price premium. Those who buy Acuras are attracted by the value, which is to say, they like the content for the dollar irrespective of what badge is on the grille.

That leaves Acura vulnerable to any competing make, whether Bentley or Kia, that delivers more car for the dollar. Which is why cars like the Cadenza and Avalon make the FWD RLX largely irrelevant on arrival.
GoHawks (11-27-2013)
Old 01-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by islandbeef
A glorified Accord? That sounds like a compliment to me.

Better than to be called a glorified VW (AUDI), a glorified DATSUN (Infiniti) or a glorified CAMRY (LEXUS).
I can't say i agree with this.