RLX Accessory Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:37 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
RLX Accessory Options

I don't have a garage to keep this in so I need to get a car cover. Is the one the dealer has, made out of something special? most of those are $280 or so for the cover. I see some like http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Acura-RLX-Waterproof-Car-Cover-w-Mirror-Pocket-/281241237401?hash=item417b48b799&vxp=mtr would that be good enough or the RLX OEM one has other things in it?

Any of you have the 3M invisible shield?
Old 04-27-2015, 05:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by krava
I don't have a garage to keep this in so I need to get a car cover. Is the one the dealer has, made out of something special? most of those are $280 or so for the cover. I see some like 2014 Acura RLX Waterproof Car Cover w Mirror Pocket | eBay would that be good enough or the RLX OEM one has other things in it?

Any of you have the 3M invisible shield?
I would strongly recomend NOT getting the cover because if you put it on when the car is not perfectly clean, the material will just scratch the hell out of the paint simply by rolling it over the paint. Skip that one.

Regarding a 3M application for the front facing portions of the car (side view mirrors, and front bumper including the first 4 inches of the hood and the leading 6 inches of each front fender, I will look around for something for you. I would NOT recommend anything be applied to the headlights. If you keep the front facing components waxed and you stay on top of it, you probably can get away with doing nothing, but wax will not protect against stones.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:05 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Krava, what does the rear foot well lighting look like in the advanced model? Krell doesn't have it ... wondering what I'm missing.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
^ It's exactly the same as the front footwell lighting. it's a light orange glow under the front and passenger seats that lights up the rear footwell area.

The problem I have always had with this is: it only stays on while the doors are open. As soon as you close the doors, the footwell lighting goes off. And there are no options to change this in the system settings. In my opinion that makes the entire function of the footwell lighting completely useless. Most other car manufactures have it to add additional "ambience" to the driving experience while being inside the car. Whereas in the RLX they seem to have designed it to assist with making the footwell area more visible? Why? The car already has sufficient interior lighting when the doors are open. Why don't they stay on to add "ambience"?

What's also annoying is that I've seen on certain MDX's, they have footwell lighting that does stay on at all times as long as the headlights are on. Why they couldn't make this universally the same in the RLX makes no sense.

If there were ever a mod I would look at doing to my RLX, it would be this.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by holografique
^ It's exactly the same as the front footwell lighting. it's a light orange glow under the front and passenger seats that lights up the rear footwell area.

The problem I have always had with this is: it only stays on while the doors are open. As soon as you close the doors, the footwell lighting goes off. And there are no options to change this in the system settings. In my opinion that makes the entire function of the footwell lighting completely useless. Most other car manufactures have it to add additional "ambience" to the driving experience while being inside the car. Whereas in the RLX they seem to have designed it to assist with making the footwell area more visible? Why? The car already has sufficient interior lighting when the doors are open. Why don't they stay on to add "ambience"?

What's also annoying is that I've seen on certain MDX's, they have footwell lighting that does stay on at all times as long as the headlights are on. Why they couldn't make this universally the same in the RLX makes no sense.

If there were ever a mod I would look at doing to my RLX, it would be this.
This is what my business partner's interior looks like with the doors closed. I think it is very distracting, but you can turn it off by section.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
OMG that is gorgeous. And from what I understand you can select the color of your choice and its dimmable.

I agree that blue being that bright is a bit distracting. I'd set mine to a nice warm offwhite glow just enough to give some ambience. The new C-class has similar interior cabin LED lighting as your friends S -class, just not as prominent and has only three selectable colors (blue, white, amber). Which for me is still pretty awesome. Its done very tastefully and well placed in the C-class.

Personally I love it, and in the RLX it wouldnt have been that over the top. We're just talkig about the footwells and a warm ornge glow. They could have just made it a system option for those who want the added ambience.

Last edited by holografique; 04-29-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by holografique
OMG that is gorgeous. And from what I understand you can select the color of your choice and its dimmable.

I agree that blue being that bright is a bit distracting. I'd set mine to a nice warm offwhite glow just enough to give some ambience. The new C-class has similar interior cabin LED lighting as your friends S -class, just not as prominent and has only three selectable colors (blue, white, amber). Which for me is still pretty awesome. Its done very tastefully and well placed in the C-class.

Personally I love it, and in the RLX it wouldnt have been that over the top. We're just talkig about the footwells and a warm ornge glow. They could have just made it a system option for those who want the added ambience.
Not only is it something where you can adjust the colors, you can adjust the intensity and locations that are on. More things to break. That is exactly on of the reasons the car has been in the shop. BTW it is still there and my partner is driving a 2013 S-class in the meantime. Not to shabby.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:40 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
This is what my business partner's interior looks like with the doors closed.
I suppose that's sort of interesting as a design exercise; but to be honest, the availability of such a thing would have zero effect on my decision to buy a car.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I suppose that's sort of interesting as a design exercise; but to be honest, the availability of such a thing would have zero effect on my decision to buy a car.
I agree. BTW that is not a picture of his actual car as I pulled that picture from the web so everyone could see what it looks like. He usually only has them on as a very slight hint of color so as to not be distracting. Basically just outlines of color.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
you pulled that from somewhere on the zine? some guy that hasn't been on bought a S class Mercedes with Designo or something and was talking about the interior lighting etc.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by krava
you pulled that from somewhere on the zine? some guy that hasn't been on bought a S class Mercedes with Designo or something and was talking about the interior lighting etc.
Google