Part # for Sport Hybrid spare tire kit? (Install pics post #30)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015 | 05:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Part # for Sport Hybrid spare tire kit? (Install pics post #30)

Having a tough time finding he correct part number(s). Thanks in advance to Hybrid owners who've sourced it, I'd appreciate the number for the kit as a whole. It appears you can order parts separately but I want the entire kit in one swoop.

Trying to source it before my road trip in ten days.
Old 04-08-2015 | 07:56 AM
Pro

Bob -

The spare tire kit did come in multiple pieces. It includes at least the tire itself and the tire kit and some sort of metal safety barrier that had to be installed to keep the spare tire away from the battery in an accident. I can't pick out the parts from the many that appear on my service orders. I have three orders from the original sale, the installation of the parts that were on back-order, and another visit to replace a piece of console trim that had been damaged. So maybe you can sort out all the door moldings and body trim that I got with the car from the pieces of the spare tire kit. Sorry, but some of the items on the list make no sense to me and I have no easy access to parts lists, so I've just copied all three lists for you. All the spare tire parts are definitely in there somewhere. I do notice some duplication across the three lists, presumably because stuff had to be ordered. Also, I'm not sure what to make of the costs listed; everything was either negotiated as a bundle with the car or was covered under warranty. Hope this helps, though perhaps not exactly what you were looking for.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Part List.pdf (19.3 KB, 239 views)
Old 04-08-2015 | 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

You understand my confusion, then. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2015 | 01:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Is this what you are looking for?
I believe it is number 16.
Old 04-08-2015 | 03:05 PM
Pro

Thanks to everyone. I am considering adding this also but don't have an urgent need.

I'll look forward to Bob's experience on this.
Old 04-08-2015 | 03:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by neuronbob
You understand my confusion, then. Thanks!
Yes, sorry I couldn't help.
Old 04-08-2015 | 03:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pgeorg
Is this what you are looking for?
I believe it is number 16.
Note that doesn't include the tire, which is separate.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015 | 03:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
Thanks to everyone. I am considering adding this also but don't have an urgent need.

I'll look forward to Bob's experience on this.
I bought this kit with my car, and urge anyone who travels to get one, because the tire inflator kit won't help with sidewall damage. I have already used the spare when I hit a huge pothole, and would have required a flatbed (and an interrupted trip or day) without the spare. BTW, all the tools included with the car, including the inflator kit, fit into the center of the spare tire. It's well engineered.
Old 04-08-2015 | 06:11 PM
Senior Moderator

This REALLY sucks. I went to the Acura eStore and because they stripped out all the information about the Sport Hybrid, there is NO data on the spare tire. Some of the OEM sellers have also stripped out info about the Sport Hybrid, and you can't even use a Sport Hybrid VIN to search them. (still works at some, but still....)

What should be a simple process is instead nonsensical and infuriating. Why can't we have a single part number for a unified spare tire kit? And why did they have to strip out info from the eStore about the Sport Hybrid when they are on the road? Yeesh.

I'm just going to (gulp) call my dealer tomorrow for guidance and let them figure it out.

Last edited by neuronbob; 04-08-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2015 | 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

If you use the 2014 RLX Advance, it shows the spare tire part number.
I would think that it would be the same for the Sport Hybrid, and the P-AWS RLX.
Old 04-08-2015 | 06:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pgeorg

If you use the 2014 RLX Advance, it shows the spare tire part number.
I would think that it would be the same for the Sport Hybrid, and the P-AWS RLX.
I could be wrong but I thought since the Sports Hybrid's trunk is different that the tire kit may also need to be different. Bob can probably comment more intelligently about this.
Old 04-08-2015 | 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Thank you, Acurazine! After quite some time searching, I found a thread addressing my topic.

There are two kits, one for the 18" PAWS and another for the 19" PAWS and Sport Hybrid wheels.

Pertinent thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...e-tire-904438/

From that thread, part numbers are:

SPARE TIRE KIT
P/N: 06421-TY2-A03ZA (18")
P/N: 06421-TY2-A13ZA (19")

These part numbers come with the tool kit,jack,lug wrench,styrofoam tray and a wheel. The tire that fits is part number 42751-BRI-093.

The cheapest source I found, acuraoemparts.com, shows $119 for the kit and $157 for the tire. (Bernardi and Acura of Peoria charge $212 and $204, respectively, for the same tire) Total comes to a touch over $300 for the whole assembly and about $22 for shipping to me. I'll pay Firestone a few bucks for mounting the spare to the wheel. It'll take all of a few minutes to assemble the kit in my car, I'm sure.

I will be trying the 19" kit and verifying fitment in my Sport Hybrid. If it doesn't fit in the car, you'll hear it here first. However, the spare tire area appears to be the same size and configuration in the Hybrid as in the PAWS, so I don't anticipate trouble.

I checked part numbers with fsmith's parts list above and they appear to match with a few extra parts named that are part of the package.

Edit: Added source

Last edited by neuronbob; 04-09-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-09-2015 | 07:29 AM
Pro

I think I remember (though age makes that harder and harder) my service tech foreman telling me that he had installed the kit himself in my car, and that it was the first one he had installed, and he spent way more time than he expected doing it. Just a thought.
Old 04-09-2015 | 07:48 AM
Burning Brakes

I might be wrong, but i think you don't want this Kit:

P/N: 06421-TY2-A13ZA (19")

because it does not include the part 74710-TY3-305---PIPE, IPU GUARD, if you look at my second picture.

I believe you need this kit:

06421-TY3-A01

that is specific to the Sport Hybrid, and it does include the 74710-TY3-305---PIPE, IPU GUARD, at least that is what my first picture shows.

I apologize if i am making a mistake...
Old 04-09-2015 | 08:02 AM
Pro

Hmm. I think that is the piece that is special to the SH kit because it keeps the spare tire away from the battery pack, and is the piece that my service foreman had the trouble with. I think it is the safety barrier I referred to in my first post.

Perhaps a silly question, but can't you just call your dealer's parts department and have them tell you what you need?
Old 04-09-2015 | 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fsmith
Perhaps a silly question, but can't you just call your dealer's parts department and have them tell you what you need?
Funny you mention that. I did that this morning. I had them plug in my VIN and they say the part number I quoted came up as correct. They couldn't find part # 06421-TY3-A01. Really confused now.

My bet is that since they have sold so few Hybrids, the parts departments are as confused as me.

We'll get it straightened out. Part of the beta-testing.....
Old 04-09-2015 | 04:46 PM
Advanced

just got back from my dealer, this is what I got for part numbers:
42751-BRI-107: Tire T135/80R15) $197.40
06421-TX8-A01ZA: Wheel kit *TBlack* $219.37

Parts guy sounded like he knows what he's doing and they're placing the order for them. Second page shows that they're for an ILX Hybrid...
Old 04-09-2015 | 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

I called my local dealer again to get this going again. We both came up with the correct number, 06421-TY3-A01, and have ordered the kit. $164, no price break, but they can have it for me on Saturday or Monday. Correct tire number for the Sport Hybrid is 42751-GYR-039, as in fsmith's parts manifest above, they are still confirming availability.

If all works out, I'll update the first post to make it easier on others.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
hondamore (04-09-2015), Malibu Flyer (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015 | 07:59 AM
Pro

As I look back at my service order parts list, it looks like either they ordered the wrong kit at first (TY2-A13ZA), or that is the wheel and it and the other individual parts that are listed make up the total correct kit (TY3-A01). Just make sure that the "IPU Guard" and the other loose parts listed are included (like the all-important "label"). Good luck.

You will like having the spare. Then you have both the inflator/repairer to quickly handle a tread puncture AND a spare for a sidewall puncture.
Old 04-15-2015 | 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator

$400 later.....the dealer ordered the wrong kit

So I happily motored over to my dealer this afternoon to pick up my spare kit. They'd duly mounted the tire onto the temporary wheel ($20, less than it would be at Firestone. ). I picked it up in my S2000 and when I got home, I got to work.

Problem 1 that told me they gave me the wrong kit: There's a piece of carpet with the kit. It attaches far in the front of the spare tire area.....which is exactly where the Twin Motor Unit is, and there is no way to reach it without removing the (big) Twin Motor Unit.

Problem 2: No extra bar.

Problem 3: The styrofoam tool holder was much too large for the opening.

So at that point, I went back to the receipt. Of course....it was 06421-TY2-A13ZA. This was after going back and forth and finding that the correct kit was 06421-TY3-A01, and confirming at the time of order that they'd ordered that kit.

So I called the dealer's parts department and they told me that there was a bulletin from January indicating that A13ZA was the correct part, and that they'd now have to call Acura Corporate for guidance. They'll do so tomorrow.

The good news is that the spare fits the space properly and in a test fit, is almost the same diameter as the 19" stock wheel. The wheel in the kit is likely the same between A13ZA and A01, and so is the tire.

The saga continues....sigh.
Old 04-15-2015 | 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

I am sorry to hear this neuronbob:-(
This shouldn't be so hard to get right!
Old 04-15-2015 | 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Another massive thanks to Bob, pgeorg et al for documenting their search for the correct part numbers for the Sport Hybrid spare tire kit.

I was at the dealership the other day picking up a trunk tray (which fit the Sport Hybrid like a glove by the way) and asked the parts manager about the spare tire kit. He searched for 5 minutes and couldn't find anything other than the inflator kit. I'll have him try again looking for the 06421-TY3-A01 and see what he comes up with.

Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2015 | 06:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

And they call it a flagship. What a joke.

All that hassle after youve paid the amount of money for thst car. You'd think they'd be able to dedicate a single employee, one employee out of the countless thousands they have, to validate quality control over something this simple.

Sure, users like Bob on this forum help by posting this type of info. But imagine all the customers who DONT use or know about this forum or dont care or have the time to know about this forum. That's the reality of why Acura seriously needs to step up their quality control for what they call their "flagship".

Back to my silent hole.
2011TL (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015 | 08:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by holografique
And they call it a flagship. What a joke.

All that hassle after youve paid the amount of money for thst car. You'd think they'd be able to dedicate a single employee, one employee out of the countless thousands they have, to validate quality control over something this simple.

Sure, users like Bob on this forum help by posting this type of info. But imagine all the customers who DONT use or know about this forum or dont care or have the time to know about this forum. That's the reality of why Acura seriously needs to step up their quality control for what they call their "flagship".

Back to my silent hole.
Did you lease or buy your car? I hope for your sake you leased so you can get rid of the RLX when the lease ends and get something you are really happy with the next time around. Obliviously, as I and other on this forum have say, we hear your message, you are NOT happy with ACURA or the car for the money you paid.
sooththetruth (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015 | 08:54 AM
Instructor

I understand holographique's angst. However sometimes friends let you know it's time to work on acceptance, and move on. Also, because of his energy, and that of others that proved to be "beta testers" to get things right, many others with the 2015 RLX are probably benefiting. We owe him that debt of gratitude.
The following 2 users liked this post by sooththetruth:
neuronbob (04-16-2015), woropallo (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015 | 01:34 PM
Pro

So at that point, I went back to the receipt. Of course....it was 06421-TY2-A13ZA. This was after going back and forth and finding that the correct kit was 06421-TY3-A01, and confirming at the time of order that they'd ordered that kit.

So I called the dealer's parts department and they told me that there was a bulletin from January indicating that A13ZA was the correct part, and that they'd now have to call Acura Corporate for guidance. They'll do so tomorrow.
I think this is exactly what happened to my dealer, but because I bought the kit with the car and they installed it, I never knew exactly what had happened with the parts - I just reconstructed it by looking at the receipts (see prior posts). Well, now we know and can tell everyone else. You are indeed the lead beta-tester, neuronbob. =)

Last edited by fsmith; 04-16-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2015 | 11:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Sport Hybrid spare tire well

Spare tire/wheel. Looks like same diameter as stock wheel/tire combo.

Left is wrong kit--it's the PAWS spare tire kit. Right is Sport Hybrid storage bin for use without spare tire.

Carpet for PAWS spare tire kit

Spare tire in Sport Hybrid wheel well

Picking up correct kit in AM. More pics then.
hondamore (04-18-2015)
Old 04-18-2015 | 04:27 AM
Instructor

Is that space in the trunk normally there as an extra cubby for storage?
Old 04-18-2015 | 07:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sooththetruth
Is that space in the trunk normally there as an extra cubby for storage?
Yes. The styrofoam kit on the right in the picture above organizes the space, or it can be left empty, as in my first picture, if more storage is desired.
Old 04-18-2015 | 11:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Make sure you get part #06421-TY3-A01 for your Sport Hybrid

I can now confirm that part # 06421-TY3-A01 is the correct spare tire kit for the Sport Hybrid. Now that you guys know, you can purchase at an online shop for cheaper than I got mine at the dealer. This kit requires some assembly! Luckily, I took pictures as I went along.

Here's the extra bar ("IPU bar") that goes along with the kit, and its part number. It is fastened at the top of the front of the spare tire area. It looks like its function is to prevent the spare tire from projecting forward into the Twin Motor Unit in a rear collision. I'm not a Honda engineer so can only give you speculation.

The correct kit for the Sport Hybrid with its constituent parts, in a test fit.

Jack and its part number

To start the install, you remove the old kit and remove the plastic trim on the back of the trunk. You will be spending some time sitting in the trunk, so you don't want to scratch this up while you are working. I used my handy trim removal kit.

There are six trim pins that have to be snapped out, and once the trim piece is out, you can see them on the part--they are green.

The instructions say to remove the cargo net tie-downs and the side trim. I was able to do the install without removing anything else. Nevertheless, if you use a small screwdriver, you can pop open the tie-down and you can see the screw holding it down. The screws are VERY tight so I didn't force them.

This is the front of the spare tire area. You see that silver tape with red stripes? If you peel that tape as in the instructions, you will see the mounting point for the IPU bar bracket.

Close-up of same for clarity:

You have to cut part of the interior trim to leave room for the bracket. You measure 60 mm ( 2 3/8 in) from the front of the trim....

....and cut vertically to the crease, then to the front along the crease.

Panned out view of the above:

You then fasten the IPU bar bracket to the holes using the supplied bolts. Torque is 16 lb-ft or 22 Nm. You can see that there was a good reason for you to cut the trim. The bracket has a threaded screw that protrudes:

IPU bar before tightening with supplied bolt.

Screw the bolt onto the screw to tighten the IPU bar in place. Torque is also 16 lb-ft:

Done!

The all-important sticker for the front doorjamb. The old sticker just peeled right off and I stuck the new one on in its place. That whole operation took 15 seconds.

Spare tire in place with IPU bar similarly in place.

Just in case you are curious, here's then underside of the IPU. There's some space there and not much else. Pretty boring, really.

Fully assembled! You can see that the styrofoam tray has cutouts to allow for the IPU bar brackets.

Thus ends my tutorial on the most complex spare tire kit installation I've ever done. The PAWS is much easier in that all you do is put a small piece of carpet in the tire well, fasten the tire down, put the styrofoam kit in. Takes about five minutes.

OTOH, it took me about 90 minutes between fetching parts and water breaks to do this. Were I to do it again, it would take about 30 minutes. Imagine how much the dealer would have charged to do this for me.

Hope this helps future Sport Hybrid owners!
The following 5 users liked this post by neuronbob:
2011TL (04-19-2015), fsmith (04-19-2015), George Knighton (04-19-2015), hondamore (04-19-2015), misu (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015 | 12:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Stupid question...does the new insert have a spot to keep the wheel lock key?? Looking at the pictures, it seem it may fit in the "funnel thing", but I was wondering if there is a dedicated area specifically made for the wheel lock key. I only ask because the worst thing in the world would be to have a sidewall flat tire, go to the trunk where you have cleverly installed the temporary spare tire kit only to realize that you can't find the wheel lock key. Also, my old RL had a space specifically for the key to ensure that it didn't rattle around.

Thanks again for the leg work to get the right part number and for all the pics!!
Old 04-19-2015 | 02:54 AM
Instructor

Seams like more and more manufactures are not including spare tire with new models. It's nothing more than ripping off customers to the tune of $$$400-1200 more after buying car. You spend 35 to 65K for a new car and no spare tire. My 2012 TSX tech came with spare tire and jack kit. I live in North East and after the bad winter we have had there are more tank trap pot holes around and I have seen about 20 cars with flats from the pot holes. No tire inflator with fix a flat is going to fix tire with side wall blow out . It's along wait waiting for AAA to show up and tow you because your 60k new car did not include spare tire. Hopefully manufactures will start including spare tires in cars again.
Old 04-19-2015 | 03:40 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by JTRADAR61
Seams like more and more manufactures are not including spare tire with new models. It's nothing more than ripping off customers to the tune of $$$400-1200 more after buying car. You spend 35 to 65K for a new car and no spare tire. My 2012 TSX tech came with spare tire and jack kit. I live in North East and after the bad winter we have had there are more tank trap pot holes around and I have seen about 20 cars with flats from the pot holes. No tire inflator with fix a flat is going to fix tire with side wall blow out . It's along wait waiting for AAA to show up and tow you because your 60k new car did not include spare tire. Hopefully manufactures will start including spare tires in cars again.
There was a minority uproar when we went to small temporary spares, and now there is a minority uproar over no spares.

Because tyres are as sturdy and reliable as they have become, it is all about saving weight.

I don't think it is going to change. It is too important a part of meeting the CAFE standards.
Old 04-19-2015 | 05:55 AM
Senior Moderator

George is right. The primary reason for losing the spare tire is CAFE. Losing that 30-50 pounds gains some mileage. The fact is, though, that most people don't know how to change a tire, or know how but prefer not to get their hands dirty. The automakers know this. We are lucky they even allow us an inflator at this point.

Speaking of the inflator, it appears Acura has changed to those inflator a that you screw on instead of clamp on. I HATE these. When it's cold outside and you are having to freeze your fingertips off trying to screw on the end of the inflator, fast, before half the air leaks out......ugh. My CTS-Vs came with a similar inflator and it was a minor inconvenience to use them that way. I thought it was GM cost-cutting. Not just GM, I guess.
Old 04-19-2015 | 06:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Hondamore, that funnel is very important. You place it in the fuel filler slot so you can fill your fuel tank from a can. The filler from a can will not fit well enough in the slot by itself. There is no specific place in the tray for a wheel lock. I assume you can place it in the shallow well next to the tools. That area is insulated enough that I can't hear anything back there.
hondamore (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015 | 07:19 AM
Pro

Terrific tutorial, neuronbob.

BTW, that long shallow cutout at the rear is perfect for keeping a set of spare wiper inserts. I have always carried them so I don't have to go to the dealer when I need new ones. I just use my spares and then restock them when next in for service.

Last edited by fsmith; 04-19-2015 at 07:26 AM.
hondamore (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015 | 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Made it to DC yesterday without a popped tire. I hope I don't need to use the spare here.....
Old 04-20-2015 | 02:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Made it to DC yesterday without a popped tire. I hope I don't need to use the spare here.....
Make sure to do some donuts in front of the Capitol building for us Citizens. They think us 1%'ers are evil. They are forgetting that Capitalism isn't the devil. It is the engine that feeds the government more tax dollars but the morons in the white buildings are too stupid to know this. They don't understand Keynesian Economics anymore than they read HR 3962 (Unaffordable Health Care Socialist Redistribution of Wealth Embezzlement Act). I'm not for either side. Logic doesn't exist on either one. Sorry for my rant. I just sent in my most recent contribution to the beast and the post man had to rip it out of my hands at the post office last week. I should have just burned it. At least I would have experienced heat with it. Wave to the Criminal in Charge for me. Single finger salute will be sufficient. Although when you do it, you will be pointing to a religious figure he does not believe in.
Old 04-20-2015 | 05:18 PM
Senior Moderator

I usually don't discuss politics in this part of the forum, but....

I brought the wrong car for a non-PC tax protest of the government. I see hybrids and Teslas EVERYWHERE here. My Sport Hybrid fits right in, here in DC. I'm sure at least one environmentalist almost applauded as I drove by in pure electric mode.

To effect the type of anti-tax protest you envision, I needed to bring my gas -guzzling (I paid the gas guzzler tax on it!), RWD, 'murican-mobile, my CTS-V.

/thread hijack
Old 04-20-2015 | 08:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

I usually don't discuss politics in this part of the forum, but....

I brought the wrong car for a non-PC tax protest of the government. I see hybrids and Teslas EVERYWHERE here. My Sport Hybrid fits right in, here in DC. I'm sure at least one environmentalist almost applauded as I drove by in pure electric mode.

To effect the type of anti-tax protest you envision, I needed to bring my gas -guzzling (I paid the gas guzzler tax on it!), RWD, 'murican-mobile, my CTS-V.

/thread hijack
Sorry. I saw blue sky for a moment. Ok I'm back. When you pay an estimated quarterly Federal tax bill that is greater than your annual mortgage and property tax costs, it gets one's panties in a bunch. Back on topic.
neuronbob (04-20-2015)

Quick Reply: Part # for Sport Hybrid spare tire kit? (Install pics post #30)