New 2014 RLX - Sheared Tie Rod

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
The Acura Link unit in the car is broke. I do not get traffic or any other services on the car. When you push the Acura Link button, nothing happens. I called Acura because when I first got the car it took them 24 days to get it working so I figured something went wrong again. They showed no errors on their side and asked me to take it to the dealer. The dealer looked at it and said they needed to order parts to fix it. On a side note when I drove it in I tried to adjust the sound settings and the screen would not let me change the settings. I video tapped the issue knowing if I restarted the car it would probably go away. Sure enough on the second restart the stereo started working correctly. It's time to get rid of this thing!
Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Stroupck
The Acura Link unit in the car is broke. I do not get traffic or any other services on the car. When you push the Acura Link button, nothing happens. I called Acura because when I first got the car it took them 24 days to get it working so I figured something went wrong again. They showed no errors on their side and asked me to take it to the dealer. The dealer looked at it and said they needed to order parts to fix it. On a side note when I drove it in I tried to adjust the sound settings and the screen would not let me change the settings. I video tapped the issue knowing if I restarted the car it would probably go away. Sure enough on the second restart the stereo started working correctly. It's time to get rid of this thing!
Maybe your Acura Link isn't torqued properly
Old 10-22-2013, 05:27 PM
10th Gear

Me again, my RLX is still at the dealer. They are trying to fix the Acura Link. I was told today that they are replacing the whole Navi unit. I was told they will check the bolts again since they found the other side not properly torqued. It will probably we a week before I get it back. They did give me another RLX in the meantime as a loaner.
The following users liked this post:
victorber (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Oh boy! New Navi unit replaced too???? I sure hope those "shop guys" get her back together as well as the manufacturers!!! It would make me sick to see it all taken apart back in the shop..... Make sure a Senior Technician works on your ride too!
Keep us posted!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:28 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
I was told they will check the bolts again since they found the other side not properly torqued.

Have the bolts worked loose by themselves ?
Old 10-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I had my rear tie rods checked this past Friday and the nuts were torqued correctly. No adjustment needed.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:01 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Have the bolts worked loose by themselves ?
When the car was towed in from the bolt coming out the Service Advisor told me the other wheel was not to specs either and they had to tighten it.

I just got my car back after a week in the shop. The good news is they checked all the tires again and the bolts were to spec. Maybe a bad day on the manufacturing line when my car rolled through.

I got a new Navi, rear speaker and AcuraLink control. All seems to be working fine now except for the AcuraLink app on the phone. I called it in to Acura Care today but they have a power outage at the office so they couldn't log any calls.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 82 Posts
Wowza! As soon as I heard this I took my laptop back to one of our lead mechanics at our dealership. He couldn't believe it. I wouldn't feel safe in the vehicle anymore, we haven't seen anything like this ever happen. The only RLX issues we are seeing is Navi HDD problems, and battery charging system issues. Please keep us posted.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:51 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Speaking about loose bolts out of the factory.

Acura has issued a recall campaign for 2014 AWD MDX's on drive shaft bolts that may not be torqued sufficiently.

Originally Posted by Acura
DATE: November 14, 2013

TO: All Acura Sales, Service & Parts Managers and Personnel

FROM: Acura Parts, Service &Technical Division, Campaign Administration

RE: Stop Sale/Safety Recall: 2014 MDX SH-AWD Propeller Shaft Bolts

Today, November 14, 2013, Acura will notify NHTSA of a Stop Sale order and Safety Recall for some 2014 MDX SH-AWD vehicles. Any new or used vehicles in dealer stock must be repaired per S/B 13-042, Safety Recall: Propeller Shaft Bolts May Be Loose or Missing prior to sale. Refer to VIN Inquiry status to determine which vehicles in your inventory are affected.
Affected vehicles should not be sold until the repair has been completed. Should an unrepaired vehicle cause any injury or damage because of the required recall repair, the dealership will be solely responsible to the damaged party, and will be required to defend and indemnify Acura for any resulting claims.

Basic Problem
During manufacturing, a small number of vehicles may have been produced with improperly torqued propeller shaft bolts. An improperly torqued bolt may become loose and eventually fall out. If the propeller shaft becomes unsecured, it may cause damage to the fuel and/or exhaust systems, or come into contact with the road, increasing the risk of a crash.

The Repair
All affected vehicles require inspection of the propeller shaft bolts to determine if they are properly torqued. If the bolts are not properly torqued, they will be tightened to the correct specification. If any bolts are missing, they will require replacement.

Parts Information
A small number of propeller shaft bolts (P/N 90113-S10-000) will be allocated to all dealers with unsold affected units. Additional replacement propeller shaft bolts are available through normal parts ordering. Acura expects that a very small number of affected units (less than 4%, or about 900) will require repair of any kind, and an even smaller number will require bolt replacement.

Service Bulletin
In support of this recall, S/B 13-042 has been posted on ISIS as of November 14, 2013. It includes inspection, repair, parts and warranty information related to this campaign.
Warranty and Repair Information
Warranty, inspection, and repair information is detailed in S/B 13-042, Safety Recall: Propeller Shaft Bolts May Be Loose Or Missing.

Customer Notification
Acura expects to complete customer notification in early December 2013.
As always, make sure to check in VIN Inquiry status to determine if a particular vehicle is eligible for this recall.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
They just added a Stop Sale and Recall Bulletin for (what appears) to be the OP problem.

Today, December 13, 2013, Acura will notify NHTSA of a Stop Sale order and Safety Recall for some 2014 RLX vehicles. Any new or used vehicles in dealer stock must be repaired per S/B 13-043, Safety Recall: Rear Lower Suspension Arm Bolts May Be Loose prior to sale.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ and the MDX seems to be having the same issue.

Not good news but at least they are acting quick on this one.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

What is interesting to me is that one is made on Saitama and the other in Alabama.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
maybe its the ..."ama" karma
Old 12-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ The connection is found!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by weather
^^ and the MDX seems to be having the same issue.

Not good news but at least they are acting quick on this one.
Could be a tool problem, or improperly calibrated tool. They may use the same tools and processes at both plants.

Getting the torque right on a fastener is a combination of the proper spec and technique. Too little preload and there is not enough tension in the fastener to keep the nut from backing out. Too much preload and the fastener could be stretched too far and lose strength. It drives me crazy when tire shops tighten the $#i! out of lug nuts. They tend to tighten them with an air gun and way over tighten them... then they follow up with a torque wrench that instantly 'clicks off' and the tech thinks 'ok it is tight enough' but in fact is too tight and damages the studs.

In the aerospace industry we go to great lengths to make sure to properly spec the fasteners, establish the proper preload, and use back out prevention to make sure things like this don't happen. In some applications we'll discard a fastener if they are ever removed and only use a new fastener. We'll monitor the running torque while the fastener is being installed to make sure the back-out prevention is functioning (like a locking insert) or to make sure there is no galling of the threads, then set the final preload on the fastener. I'm often surprised how 'low' the proper torque is on some fasteners. In everyday life people tend to tighten a bolt until they feel it is tight, they grunt, strain etc. That is the exception rather than the rule. In many cases this would stretch the fastener too much and it would lose strength. There is a lot of science behind fasteners, no doubt Honda knows all about this, but sometimes things escape a quality system for various reasons. At least they are addressing it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
Corey_Straker (12-16-2013), victorber (12-19-2013), weather (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Glad Honda is acting so quickly.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Glad Honda is acting so quickly.
Speaking as a new owner who's already had his car in a couple of close-hauled heels, I'm not the least bit worried.

I'll hope that since I closed on the 13th of December that this was already checked. Will have to remember to ask about that!!
Old 12-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I'll hope that since I closed on the 13th of December that this was already checked. Will have to remember to ask about that!!
Probably not. There is supposed to be a parts kit as a part of the repair (if needed) and those haven't arrived yet. They'll probably contact you once it's available.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Exclamation Recall

Just the Facts:

American Honda Motor Co. is recalling 7,387 2014 Acura RLX vehicles to replace rear suspension bolts that may not have been tightened properly.
If the bolts loosen and fall out, a portion of the rear suspension could move out of proper alignment, increasing the risk of a crash.
The recall will begin in early January.

TORRANCE, California — American Honda Motor Co. is recalling 7,387 2014 Acura RLX vehicles to replace rear suspension bolts that may not have been tightened properly, the company said in a statement on Sunday.

"It is possible that one or more of the 8 bolts that attach several rear suspension components were not tightened properly," according to the automaker. "A bolt that is not properly fastened could loosen over time and fall out, possibly allowing a portion of the rear suspension to move out of proper alignment, increasing the risk of a crash."

No customer crashes or injuries have been reported related to the recall, American Honda said.

No information about the recall has been posted on the Web site of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which oversees vehicle recalls in the U.S.

The Acura RLX recall will begin in early January.

Acura dealers will inspect the vehicles and tighten the bolts. Owners can contact Honda at 1-800-382-2238.

Edmunds says: The recall kicks off in a couple of weeks, but if you are experiencing a problem with your 2014 Acura RLX, get it into the dealership immediately.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
[CENTER]

[/COLOR]
Are you serious???
Potential catastrophic failure and it's not an immediate recall?
It would cost less to personally contact every RLX owner than settle one lawsuit.

WTH!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Colin
They just added a Stop Sale and Recall Bulletin for (what appears) to be the OP problem.
I'm very impressed with Karen Radley Acura in Woodbridge.

I bought my car on Friday the 13th, and they notified me on the morning of Monday the 16th and performed the kit install and alignment on Monday afternoon.

Nice to see a dealership being that proactive.

Okay, well, maybe they were just insuring their good survey feedback, but let's assume the best in human nature.

:-)
Old 12-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor
Are you serious???
Potential catastrophic failure and it's not an immediate recall?
I think it's a matter of logistics, notifying everybody and manufacturing and supplying the kits.

The service manager at Karen Radley said he had 9 kits in stock for 12 vehicles he knew he had to fix.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Safety Car

One the OP stated his problem I had my dealer check out my RLX - they said all was good but will go back once recall is received.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

I think it's a matter of logistics, notifying everybody and manufacturing and supplying the kits.

The service manager at Karen Radley said he had 9 kits in stock for 12 vehicles he knew he had to fix.
Yeah, and don't forget, January is only two weeks away and this includes a lot of 'non-working' days. We just received (only) 10 kits and we're the top RLX seller in the west.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:51 AM
Summer is Coming

If you want peace of mind just stick your head under the rear of the car and look for missing or loose nuts/bolts. It would only take a minute, I'd do it in a heart beat.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
If you want peace of mind just stick your head under the rear of the car and look for missing or loose nuts/bolts. It would only take a minute, I'd do it in a heart beat.
Haaaa ha ha ha ha ha.....

As a matter of fact I did do that. A neighbor and a passing patrol wondered what I was on about and stopped to ask.

I have to tell you...I liked what I saw. But that's probably for another time in another thread.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Grandpa

Yeah, and don't forget, January is only two weeks away and this includes a lot of 'non-working' days. We just received (only) 10 kits and we're the top RLX seller in the west.
Does being the "top RLX seller" amount to much? :-)

What is that, 10/month?

:-p
Old 12-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Does being the "top RLX seller" amount to much? :-)

What is that, 10/month?

:-p
LOL, not even....
Old 12-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Probably not. There is supposed to be a parts kit as a part of the repair (if needed) and those haven't arrived yet. They'll probably contact you once it's available.
Correct. We just delivered a customer's new RLX Tech on Saturday when the recall was issued, and changed the bolts, re-torqued and aligned before pick up.

It doesn't take long to correct.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
my dealership also called me today regarding the recall i will be taking my car in on tuesday.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Safety Car

I have my appt. set up for Dec 27 for the fix. My dealer told me I did not need to wait for recall notice.
The following users liked this post:
bronx1480 (12-19-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
So I just had the recall completed, few things I noticed

Over bumps the last month the car would make a little clunking. - figured it would related to the cold weather and the suspension mounts becoming stiff. - Post fix not a single sound!

The steering also feels much tighter now.

very odd but these were things felt right away, the dealer said they weren't sure if the bolts were loose as they just pulled the old ones right off... but I wonder if they were.

has anyone else had the recall completed and noticed a change?
Old 12-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Grandpa

I did not notice any difference.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:53 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by dturboman
has anyone else had the recall completed and noticed a change?

I also had my done on the 23rd, no problems found...
Old 12-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Safety Car

Just had mine completed today - nuts were loose on the bolts. Technician showed me. Just last month I had the bolts checked by another dealership and all was fine then. No noticeable change in handling.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by miner
Just had mine completed today - nuts were loose on the bolts. Technician showed me. Just last month I had the bolts checked by another dealership and all was fine then. No noticeable change in handling.
Well that is unexpected. If the other dealer checked them and they were properly tightened, and then they loosened up again, that tells me these nuts need to have some backout prevention on them. Maybe that is the difference in the new kits. They are not just tightening the old fasteners, they are replacing the nuts (or bolts) with something like a poly patch or locking nut.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Grandpa

That response is pretty disturbing.
I think that there's a level at which your job is "triage and control" more than anything else. We probably have to admit that most complaints are paranoia or pickiness, but this particular complaint was something else.

Luckily, it sounds like even the "triage and control" people have to pass along everything to somebody else, and that these things get checked on until they are understood.

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Or the 5AT fiasco of 10-11 years ago.
Yes, indeed. Another "triage and control" issue, I think. They did respond when the facts were all in, and a high volume dealer in Baltimore tells me that as late as last year they would still replace transmissions very quickly, under an extended warranty programme.

It's unfortunate, but this same area of the country tells me that there is an aggressive programme in place to deal with unusual oil consumption in both J Motor and K Motor "Earth Dreams" engines.

The dealer stocks very expensive piston/ring kits and at any given time there might be two or three motors on the floor waiting for these kits in response to complaints about oil consumption.

Needless to say, I'll be looking at my dipstick a little more often than I anticipated, but no issues so far.

Here is the latest. Acura offered to extend AcuraLink through the lease on my car. They asked that I pay for it and submit the receipt to their email for payment. So I paid for it last night and was told that can't issue a receipt.
If you are still around and watching your thread, I would be interested in knowing how this worked out for you, and I would like to know that you got your payment for AcuraLink.

All seems to be working fine now except for the AcuraLink app on the phone.
It has never, ever worked on my iPhone. It hangs after clicking ACCEPT.

Works fine on the MacBook, the iMac and the iPad. Not sure what's so different because it's the very same application on the iPad and it works fine. Both iPad and iPhone have the A7 64-bit processor.

Just a minor annoyance, I guess. One day I'll really need for it to work on the iPhone because it's the only thing I have, and that's when I get pissed and use my Contact List.

What is interesting to me is that one is made on Saitama and the other in Alabama.
What they have in common is that they employ human beings in both places.

:-)

I had done this before but this morning when I looked under there I looked more closely and noticed something that I hadn't seen before: Somebody had used some kind of little straight edge and made little white straight line paint marks, I guess to be used for quick double or triple insurance check on a future regular maintenance performance.

Originally Posted by miner
Just had mine completed today - nuts were loose on the bolts. Technician showed me. Just last month I had the bolts checked by another dealership and all was fine then.
Well that is unexpected.
Yup. Like you, I believe that there must be a different kind of nut in the recall kit.

Came into this thread again looking for anything I might have missed as I work on whether my little vibration is a WAD (Works As Designed) or a problem.

Maybe the RLX is sort of on the bleeding edge and I am just surprised when comparing it to the 4G TL I left behind.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:05 PM
10th Gear

I just got my recall in the mail. When I first started this thread someone recommend I notify the National Highway Safety Board. I filed the complaint with them and sent all the pictures of the car with tie rod laying on the ground and the wheel slanted in. I never heard back but it looks like they finally took action. Glad to see it!
Old 02-05-2014, 01:32 AM
Summer is Coming

I just got my recall in the mail. When I first started this thread someone recommend I notify the National Highway Safety Board. I filed the complaint with them and sent all the pictures of the car with tie rod laying on the ground and the wheel slanted in. I never heard back but it looks like they finally took action. Glad to see it!
You should probably frame that since Acura's response to this, and the fix that RLX owners are getting (along with the peace of mind), is largely due to your unfortunate accident and filing the complaint and posting about it.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:42 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This should be made a sticky.

Originally Posted by TSX69
Just the Facts:

American Honda Motor Co. is recalling 7,387 2014 Acura RLX vehicles to replace rear suspension bolts that may not have been tightened properly.
If the bolts loosen and fall out, a portion of the rear suspension could move out of proper alignment, increasing the risk of a crash.

TORRANCE, California — American Honda Motor Co. is recalling 7,387 2014 Acura RLX vehicles to replace rear suspension bolts that may not have been tightened properly, the company said in a statement on Sunday.

"It is possible that one or more of the 8 bolts that attach several rear suspension components were not tightened properly," according to the automaker. "A bolt that is not properly fastened could loosen over time and fall out, possibly allowing a portion of the rear suspension to move out of proper alignment, increasing the risk of a crash."

No customer crashes or injuries have been reported related to the recall, American Honda said.

No information about the recall has been posted on the Web site of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which oversees vehicle recalls in the U.S.

The Acura RLX recall will begin in early January.

Acura dealers will inspect the vehicles and tighten the bolts. Owners can contact Honda at 1-800-382-2238.

Edmunds says: The recall kicks off in a couple of weeks, but if you are experiencing a problem with your 2014 Acura RLX, get it into the dealership immediately.

Quick Reply: New 2014 RLX - Sheared Tie Rod