I am a Sport Hybrid owner again. Or...the prodigal beta-tester is back.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 09:04 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
Covid
Old 07-27-2023, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 230 Posts
I may have the lowest mileage 2020 RLX-SH in the country. Mine is currently sitting at 11K miles (purchased with 4300 on ODO in 10/2020). That comes out to about 2200 miles per year. I feel so bad not driving it more. But from WFH and having the other MDX for roadtrips and etc, we just don't need to drive my RLX very often.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdpdata:
mrgold35 (07-27-2023), rlx015 (07-27-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 07:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I did sell my car to CarMax. I could have sold for more via private party, but I honestly don’t have the time to deal with it. I was offered mid-$30s for my RLX. Considering I put 23k miles on it over 2 1/2 years and the overall car market has started to drop, I think I did OK. I didn’t bother with a comparison at the dealer as I know they would have offered less. I did shop the car around other sellers and CarMax came out on top. The lowest offer was $28k…no, thanks.

KBB says private market value for my car at its mileage is $40k, and trade was $35k. I find KBB a bit optimistic in general, but for my particular car they were spot on.

I am kind of hoping that Acura does a bit more in the hybrid realm in addition to doing some full EVs. I don’t mind electric (and in fact, I considered a Model 3 Performance this time around), but the fact is that infrastructure has not kept up with the slated EV rollout. I personally like Toyota’s approach to the situation, which is what I wish for Hondacura.

Meanwhile, I am enjoying Luddite life with a manual transmission. The hype for the ITS is well-earned. It’s fun to drive even to the grocery store in this thing. And, unlike the TLX, it has a back seat that comfortably fits the adults in my circle. I have dubbed it: “Maximum Civic”

A quick list of what I give up for a manual transmission and excellent handling compared to the RLX :

360 degree cams I really miss this, it spoiled me

Homelink—I now have to carry a garage door opener, just like in my NSX and S2000

Power passenger seat—luckily, wife is short, so she is comfy anyway

Memory seats—still scratching my head at this one, maybe chipsets are still short?

Acuralink—in this car, it’s not built in, it runs through your phone. I can’t even use the app to unlock the doors. Bonus: you don’t pay for Acuralink

Rear shades

Krell system, though the ELS system is really good in this car to my ears.

Rear AC vents—but there is a solution that also adds rear USB ports

Quiet cabin

You keep: heads up display and dual climate control

You gain:
Adaptive shocks—we could have used this in the RLX SH! I really wish we’d had this so Sport Mode could have tighter shock dampening

Fully digital dash. It’s a little cheap looking, but does the job and is somewhat programmable

Built in CarPlay/Android Auto—I did this aftermarket in my RLX

Touchscreen—I am a touchscreen person. The end

Not complaining about a lack of features in the ITS, I knew what I was getting into. I value an entertaining drive above a many other things in a car, so I am satisfied.

Originally Posted by andysinnh
So what this tells me is that you sold your RLX to Carmax and used the proceeds to buy the Integra. I'm guessing that if you "traded it in" to the Acura dealer, you'd have walked away with a worse overall deal, correct? Being an old-school guy, this is akin to selling your car privately before buying a new car. Except now you can get an offer on-line and sell it essentially without advertising it - making it "almost" as easy as trading it in but for better $$.

When I run an Edmunds "what's my car worth" exercise on my '19 MDX Advance with only 18k miles, they offer me like $35k - essentially what the private value is. When I run the same on my '18 RLX SH Advance with only 17k miles, it gives me a "range" of values that goes from high $20k's to low $30k's, largely because they really don't see many (if any) RLX's. Would you mind sharing the general amount they gave you based on the "range" of values from Edmunds/Carmax?

Congrats on the Integra!

Last edited by neuronbob; 07-28-2023 at 07:36 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by neuronbob:
andysinnh (07-28-2023), asdecorazones (07-29-2023), hondamore (07-28-2023), mrgold35 (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 08:19 AM

I was wondering about this so I'm glad you posted.
Old 07-28-2023, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
I was wondering about this so I'm glad you posted.
Yeah, I get the feeling some folks scratch their heads about why I would give up a nice luxury cruiser like the RLX SH for a hot hatch. Believe me, I did (and do) like the RLX SH, and there is a nonzero likelihood that I'll come back for a third helping. Yes, I'm weird. I've got too many cars as it is, though, and the RLX had to go.

Anyway, the short answer is: This will likely be one of the last chances at a car like this before we are all forced to go EV. I did not want to go EV without enjoying a throwback like the ITS. And it is executed so well. Can it use more features? Yes. That's what the MMC will address, I guess.
The following users liked this post:
rlx015 (08-01-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 09:29 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I love the new Integra. So many people give it a hard time on-line compared to the old 1st/2nd Gen Integra's. The new Integra is an improvement in every category; except, in people's minds. The automotive world would ape $hit crazy if you took the 2024 Type-S Integra back to 1994 as a GS-R model. The 2024 Integra Type-S would be very close to the performance figures of a 1994 Acura NSX.
Old 07-28-2023, 10:14 AM

You're preaching to the choir...
ITS is the first newer vehicle I've even considered. 6MT in a brand I love with some performance is a winning combo.
The RLX might be a very comfy daily but the styling doesn't do much for me unfortunately.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (07-28-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Yeah, I get the feeling some folks scratch their heads about why I would give up a nice luxury cruiser like the RLX SH for a hot hatch. Believe me, I did (and do) like the RLX SH, and there is a nonzero likelihood that I'll come back for a third helping. Yes, I'm weird. I've got too many cars as it is, though, and the RLX had to go.
Anyway, the short answer is: This will likely be one of the last chances at a car like this before we are all forced to go EV. I did not want to go EV without enjoying a throwback like the ITS. And it is executed so well. Can it use more features? Yes. That's what the MMC will address, I guess.
Seeing the list of the cars you have, if you had to make a decision on which car to get rid of, I can see why you picked the RLX. However, what I still do not get is why ITS (IMO)... IF you have CTSV, S2000 not sure what ITS offers you that these two don't.
Would I trade my RLX-SH for ITS - in no way, time or dimension for many reason: first, with my height I would not fit into it; second, Integra rear is ugly as fuk IMO; third options deficiency, etc. etc. and the list goes on and on... now, another difference is: I do not have 3 other cars of any caliber and use RLX-SH as my main daily driver... I was fitting ultimately many checkboxes when looking for the next car (power, space, familiar brand, reliability, etc.).

Anyhow, congrats and good luck with the ITS, enjoy it!!
My unsolicited prediction? I think you will be selling ITS sooner or later and won't keep it - just my 2c