(Hybrid) Sport Mode: How Often?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015 | 08:03 AM
Grandpa

(Hybrid) Sport Mode: How Often?

How often do you use Sport Mode?

I use mine so much that people have commented about it a couple of times.

But I'm not necessarily using it for very sporty things.

What I find myself doing is automatically reaching down and feeling for the Braille, and turning on Sport Mode when I want to defeat EV Mode for pulling out into traffic and merging on limited access roads.

I never stopped to think about it until a passenger commented that I was reaching down, turning it on, and turning it off rather quickly, without even looking, and I would do it rather often.

Old 05-12-2015 | 08:27 AM
Pro

I use it very rarely because, while in EV mode, the gasoline engine starts so quickly and smoothly when you hit the accelerator that I do not feel the need to use Sport Mode to get acceleration. I use it mostly just to show off the power to passengers who might care. The time that it takes to hit the Sport Mode button and have the engine turn on and drop a gear doesn't seem to me to be any faster, or provide more power, then just accelerating out of EV Mode. But now that you mention it, I'll try it your way today and maybe I'll get hooked like you.
Old 05-12-2015 | 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

I also use it very rarely - maybe once a week.

Like George, I use it when I want a little extra zip off the line (for example if I need to get across a couple of lanes in traffic and I need to be sure to be ahead of the other cars off a red light). I'll also select Sport if I'm driving around "having a little fun" with the handling of the Sport Hybrid SHAWD. Because the acceleration is very quick even without Sport mode, I usually don't even think of it in "regular" driving. In Sport Mode and manually selecting first gear...the acceleration is just crazy fast for a 4400 pound car.
The following users liked this post:
fsmith (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015 | 11:57 AM
Pro

I sometimes use Sports mode for the reasons George cited and sometimes just to have fun on a curvy mountain road. Overall I probably use it around 5% of the time. It is nice to know it is there. I just haven't had much time to find the time to have fun. Around LA there always seems to be lots of traffic so the opportunities for having fun are limited.

I agree that with the power available without sport mode it isn't too often that I need additional power. For me the main fun is doing more manual shifting....i.e. being in control.
Old 05-12-2015 | 01:11 PM
Senior Moderator

I use Sport Mode sparingly, generally when I need immediate acceleration to enter the freeway, or to pass quickly on a two-lane highway. Otherwise, Eco mode is the order of the day.
Old 05-12-2015 | 03:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Not an SH owner, but for me on the PAWS, I use it every day.

* Mainly to get in and out my neighborhood (steep hills, twists and turns), with more ease and less push on the throttle.

* Occassionally when driving elsewhere in the hilly areas of North Atlanta for the same reasons above.

* I also use it when driving in the city where I have to be quick and aggressive to get anywhere in a timely manner due to constant sudden stop and go movement navigating in and out of narrow streets, tight traffic, etc. I want (and need) the added instant throttle and acceleration.

* And then there is the occassional short stinted race from a stop light...although thats usually just me racing in my head...:p

I rarely use it on the interstate to pass. Usually a quick (well timed) down shift to a lower gear gives the immediate boost I need to make my move without having to engage sport mode.

Because of my daily use, I consider myself a use-case where it would be nice if the Sport Mode was placed on the steering wheel versus down by the shifter. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Last edited by holografique; 05-12-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2015 | 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by holografique
Because of my daily use, I consider myself a use-case where it would be nice if the Sport Mode was placed on the steering wheel versus down by the shifter. Not a complaint, just an observation.
I agree. This should be on the steering wheel. I think they did that on purpose to avoid use of the Sport Mode button while the car is moving.
Old 05-12-2015 | 09:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I think they did that on purpose to avoid use of the Sport Mode button while the car is moving.
That would seem odd. I don't see how it would cause any "safety" risks, and it doesn't appear to have any negative impact on the engine/drive-train/etc when engaging it while the car is moving.

I would think that if it were at risk of causing damage to the car, they would have built in a mechanism in the programming to give you a warning/error and not allow you to engage it while the car is moving, similar to how you get a warning/error if you try to disable the "brake hold" without having your foot on the brake pedal.

Last edited by holografique; 05-12-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2015 | 10:12 PM
Senior Moderator

What I mean is, I guess they would prefer we start Sport Mode in such a way that driving is not distracted give the location on the center console. Even with the raised nubs on the button, sometimes you miss and have to glance down at it, taking your eyes off the road.

That's why I think the Sport Mode button belongs on the dash or steering wheel, or maybe could be activated by some secret toggle, say touching both shift paddles at the same time or something.
Old 05-13-2015 | 06:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yep, wasnt questioning you, just trying to think of the logic or design reason as to why Acura would not have it on the steering wheel (where we both agree it makes more sense). My guess is it's based on them wanting to have all the drive-train controls all in one area (shifter, brake hold, parking brake, IDS on other models).

I really like the idea of the double paddle tap as an "alternate" method. That would be awesome. We already have the "hold right paddle" function to bring the car out of manual mode and back into automatic. So that's evidence that the paddles can be programmed for multiple functions.
neuronbob (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015 | 06:59 AM
Senior Moderator

I really like the idea of the double paddle tap as an "alternate" method. That would be awesome. We already have the "hold right paddle" function to bring the car out of manual mode and back into automatic. So that's evidence that the paddles can be programmed for multiple functions.
Forgot about this tip. Thanks for the reminder!

You may be correct about the ergonomic thought for the Sport Mode button placement.

The steering wheel idea comes from other cars in which this is the case. I can defeat all the nannies on my CTS-V via a few choice button presses on the steering wheel, even while the car is moving. You know, just in case I need to street race (not)
Old 05-13-2015 | 07:35 AM
Grandpa

. My guess is it's based on them wanting to have all the drive-train controls all in one area....
I don't think anybody anticipated using Sport Mode the way that I am using it.

Most likely, they anticipated setting the Mode once per driving session and the Braille was a concession to the guys who said, "Hang on a minute...."

That might be a good idea for a future change.

Since you've mentioned the paddles, I will protest again that they are virtually useless because they are too small and mounted to the steering wheel instead of the steering column.

I don't like Ferrari but this is something they do right, having very big paddles that are hard to miss, and they're always in the same place regardless of the position of the steering wheel.

This allows for aggressive trail braking and other uses I'd better not describe, but which uses are essential on the track. I don't see any point in even having paddles if they're going to be teeny things mounted to the steering wheel.

In real world track use, you have to shuffle steer.
Old 05-13-2015 | 09:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

The RLX's primary function is as a quiet, luxury cruiser. The paddle shifters and Sport Mode are for the OCCASIONAL foray into the RLX's alter ego as sports car that allows us to indulge the hidden racer in all of us. For the small percentage of time the car is used in Sport Mode, the button placement and paddle size/position are perfect for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
Malibu Flyer (05-13-2015), neuronbob (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015 | 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

I prefer the ECO mode to the Sport mode 99% of the time. The car is so fast from any speed, that short of acting like a Hooligan, more power would legitimately not be used. In traffic just the most gentle squeeze of the go peddle gives that wave of torque we SH owners are addicted to. You really can't get into 10/10ths of the capabilities for longer than a few seconds (but those few seconds.....).

What a sleeper.
fsmith (05-13-2015)