Here we go! (Can the 2016 Precision Concept be used for the next RLX?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Every frontal angle I see shows a slight dip at the centerpoint. And the profile views show a sloped downward curve of the hood at the centerline meeting that centerpoint. Even so, in 3 dimension, it is 6 sided.
Attached Thumbnails Here we go! (Can the 2016 Precision Concept be used for the next RLX?)-pcgrille.jpg   Here we go! (Can the 2016 Precision Concept be used for the next RLX?)-_1452626332.jpg   Here we go! (Can the 2016 Precision Concept be used for the next RLX?)-acuraprecisionconceptdgal1-247x139.jpg   Here we go! (Can the 2016 Precision Concept be used for the next RLX?)-519407751_3_570_411.jpg  
Old 01-13-2016, 05:12 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
For me its the proportions, long hood, short overhangs, laid back greenhouse and the low wide stance that are the real wins. I'm not particularly impressed by the oversized Acura Logo, nor the rest of the front fascia aside from the headlights which look sleek. Here's to hoping they don't just plop these design ideas on yet another Accord plank with long front overhangs and family car stance.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Meh, I own a Cadillac, I'm used to big logos. A little bling wouldn't hurt Acura after years of blending in.
The following users liked this post:
sooththetruth (01-15-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 07:09 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

^^^ Ya got one of these too?

All of the brands are getting ridiculous with over sized brand badges. Some of the pickups have a billboard on the grille.
Attached Thumbnails Here we go! (Can the 2016 Precision Concept be used for the next RLX?)-il_340x270.845640399_kw3v.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
holografique (01-13-2016), neuronbob (01-13-2016), sooththetruth (01-15-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
^ lol
Old 01-13-2016, 08:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

And again, this kid nails it. This is exactly what I was referring to earlier when I mentioned if they could just tighten up that grille some.
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
Stew4HD (01-20-2016), TampaRLX-SH (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by holografique

And again, this kid nails it. This is exactly what I was referring to earlier when I mentioned if they could just tighten up that grille some.
Timmy does great work. I saw this on the TOV earlier.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,395 Likes on 700 Posts
Question Can We Change the Title to Something More Descriptive

1 of the highlights of the 2016 Detroit Auto Show was the Acura Precision Concept. A design study for future Acura sedans, the car debuts the company's new Precision Crafted Performance mantra and points to a more adventurous and stylish future for Honda's upscale brand.

The car's aggressive outward appearance was created by exterior project leader Michelle Christensen at the company's Torrance, California, design studio, where Christensen also acts as the principal design leader. In Detroit, I sat down with Christensen to discuss the Precision Concept and how it will affect the future of Acura styling.

The Precision Concept is sized like an RLX. Could it be your idea for a replacement for that model?

This car is basically our vision model. Coming off the momentum of the NSX and this Precision Crafted Performance [idea], we really wanted something not just to show the world, but to inspire our studio internally, what we're going to do with the future lineup of sedans. You will see elements of this inspiring all of our future sedans. So, it's not any 1 model in particular. It's a lot lower and wider than the current RLX for sure. Our Acura exterior mantra is Alluring Modern Edge. And the alluring part is all about proportion. We know that that's extremely important to luxury buyers, so we really pushed our limits with this car to really inspire low and wide proportions, and a nice stance, a nice emphasis on all the wheels, and convey performance through design.

The most noticeable aspect of the car is the grille, and it appears that the notorious Acura "beak" will be gone.

I know it was somewhat controversial at some point, but I think everybody started to really recognize it [the "beak"] as distinctive. I think a lot of people started to relate to it and appreciate it. But once we had this momentum of the Precision Crafted Performance direction, we wanted to go back in and reevaluate. Does everything match Precision Crafted Performance? When we looked at the grille, it didn't match. We wanted something that conveyed more of a performance image. We had the plenum in the front that looks like it's blocking what is normally an air intake. That started the conversation of, OK we need to redo the grille. So, we went through hundreds of proposals and this 1 seemed every Acura--it's still kind of a pentagon so it's a nod to what we've already established--but it just has a nice clean shape to it and it really conveys performance by letting air in through the grille.

The grille has a pointed 3-dimensional shape to it. How hard would it be to put that into production?

I think it depends on the vehicle, especially as you work your way up to the light trucks you would want a less aggressive point to it. But that center line break has always been an Acura characteristic. This car is a little bit more of a caricature of everything. We still want to work that into all of our vehicles, so we are working with engineering to develop the underlying components to help us achieve that on the outside.

It doesn't look like there is room for airflow in this grille. It is pretty much closed with numerous diamond-shaped elements to it.

We want to lure you in so there are all these details up close. All those diamonds are actually opened inside and the vertical slats are open as well. There are also 2 lower side intakes. Again, it's little bit of a caricature because we really want to inspire the designers internally. So we had a lot of fun with it, and there are a lot of third-read details in there. The intent is to be able to have all of that open for performance.

What other elements of the design do you see making it to production?

You could close your eyes and point. It might not be a copy-paste literal translation. Some of this is also coming from the NSX. 1 of the things we're pushing on this car is our new surface language, which is part of Alluring Modern Edge. We really wanted this contrast in the surfaces. Usually, you have 1 surface treatment all around the car. But for Acuras we want more contrast so he have these very sheer surfaces. For instance, the body sides, it's very sheer and kind of twisted sheetmetal, but as you go out to the tires it becomes more of this melted mercury, more organic look. It's almost like 2 different surface languages put together. That contrast surfacing, we're using on all of the models that we are working on now.

1 of other things that was inspired by NSX and then taken to another level on this car is this lightweight, floating feeling. If you look at the Precision Concept, you'll notice that the A-pillars are floating and they just end in a little point, so it looks very lightweight. The taillights also look like they are suspended. You could put your hand through behind the taillight, which is coming from the NSX floating C-pillar. We want to keep that lightweight performance look, where it looks like it's windswept and constantly in motion.

This car is a 4-door with no B-pillar, and it has suicide-style rear doors and a flying buttress style rear end. Could those elements make it into production?

Everything's possible. It depends on the vehicle and the needs of the buyer. Everything on this vehicle we are looking into. I think the suicide doors would be possible. It all depends on things like the testing, and crash, and structure.

Acura design has been panned in the last decade or so, at 1st for being too bland and later for being too out there. Do you recognize that and are you trying to find a new, more accepted direction?

Precision Crafted Performance has been in our DNA since the beginning. I think over the last couple of years it's been there but maybe it hasn't been as consistent or as loud or as potent as it should have. The great thing about Honda and Acura is that we always focus on the customer. We're always making products based on what we think they want and what buyers are telling us they want. Some of the reason for the undulation is that we are really focusing on the buyer and what they want. The Precision Crafted Performance direction I think is going to be very strong.

What do you want people to know about this car that we haven't covered?

We're just excited to share this concept with the world, and show everybody our secrets, what we are working on, and where Acura is going.

Last edited by TSX69; 01-14-2016 at 10:05 AM.
The following 11 users liked this post by TSX69:
Comfy (01-18-2016), George Knighton (01-14-2016), hondamore (01-14-2016), jwong77 (01-19-2016), Malibu Flyer (01-15-2016), neuronbob (01-14-2016), pgeorg (01-14-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (01-15-2016), sooththetruth (01-15-2016), TampaRLX-SH (01-14-2016), wstr75 (01-14-2016) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

The most pleasing element of that exchange was the next to last query. Does Acura recognize most loyalists want a precision crafted product WITH interesting style.

Many of the long term members here had discussions about Acura returning to the Precision Crafted theme that was iconic of early Acura. I remember discussions of old commercials where a ball bearing was rolled down panel gaps to demonstrate tight tolerances and effort to details. Heck, the brand was launched with a logo representing calipers. I remember these conversations on the RL forum when the Advance campaign launched with excessive styling (power phlegm) and contradictions to expectations with build issues on panel gaps and early build issues plaguing the brand.

I would like to think Acura read those conversations ('listened to their customers') and are returning to that detail and focus once heralded. I think much of what lured Acura from that focus were Sales and Marketing attempts to infuse verve and mimic of other brands. I think we all carp on how this has been a failure of the brand.

Last, I pray Michelle supplants Marek. I see clarity in her. I hear connection between her artistic vision and ability to communicate it with her language and end product. Marek's excentric psycho babble may impress the art gallery mindset but for car enthusiasts we demand art with substance AND engineering capability.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
pgeorg (01-14-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (01-15-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 05:06 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Well the RLX will NOT be the first model to introduce the concept design language (It won't even be a North American model):

New Acura Compact Crossover First to Get Precision-Influenced Styling - Motor Trend

NEWS NEW ACURA COMPACT CROSSOVER FIRST TO GET PRECISION-INFLUENCED STYLING Erick Ayapana January 14, 2016

18 PHOTOS
Crossover will launch and be sold in China.

Share this article in: Facebook Twitter Google Plus
The Acura Precision concept shown at the 2016 Detroit auto show is a preview of the brand’s future design. And according to the automaker, the first Acura model to get Precision-influenced styling will be the upcoming compact crossover slated to launch in China later this year.

In an interview with journalists at the Detroit auto show, Acura’s global creative director Dave Marek said the new crossover will make an appearance at this year’s Beijing Motor Show this April with “some of the styling cues” from the Precision concept. “I want to roll this theme out as soon as we can,” Marek said.

Acura last hinted at a compact crossover at the 2013 Shanghai auto show when it showed off the Concept SUV-X (pictured above), saying that a production version would be ready by 2016. The automaker says the new crossover will only be built and sold in China. That said, Acura could eventually bring it stateside to compete with the growing segment that currently includes the Audi Q3, Mercedes-Benz GLA, BMW X1, and upcoming Infiniti QX30.

Not much else is known about the new crossover. Previous rumors suggested it will be based on the Honda HR-V‘s platform and would slot below the RDX.

Acura Prescision Concept front three quarter
18 PHOTOS

Marek didn’t specify which of the Precision’s styling elements would trickle down to future products. One of the concept’s notable features is its grille, which is somewhat of a big departure from Acura’s signature shield (also referred to as the “beak”) grille. Other styling elements included “constellation” accent lighting in the headlights and an interior with numerous infotainment screens.

Despite the Precision concept’s long dash-to-axle ratio, Acura didn’t specify any powertrains or drive layout. “I was really careful to not overpromise rear-wheel drive,” Marek said. For now, the Precision is only a design study meant to preview Acura’s future styling language.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Booooooo....

Start with the flagship, then move downstream. I understand their wanting to change their design language now, though, and they are selling worse in China than in the USA. They really want to make a splach over there. I'm simply glad the beak is offically dead. Distinctive or no, it's not that attractive IMHO.
ggesq (01-15-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 07:38 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

This just hit my twitter feed from Acura. I like this fresh approach.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/9eb4c857-3cb...1-34fcbbb51d55
The following 5 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
fsmith (01-15-2016), hondamore (01-15-2016), JM2010 SH-AWD (01-15-2016), Malibu Flyer (01-15-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (01-15-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice ad. It even has an RLX Sport Hybrid in it. Let's see Acura put out some product to match.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (01-15-2016), TampaRLX-SH (01-14-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 12:31 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Acura seems to be saying all the things I wanted to hear and see. Now if they can translate this design language into a production car, while keeping all of their great engineering (and eliminate the glitches the RLX PAWS had initially) they will be able to gain a lot more positive brand imagine. Not mentioned at all but equally important is to partner with some better infotainment folks who can help them make the hardware and software improvements needed to make a great experience in regard to the infotainment system.

It was interesting to note the comments this week by Walt Mossberger of Re-Code that he prefers to use his iPhone for navigation than the system is his Lexus IS. His point is that most of the auto companies lack the sophication of Google and Apple in creating great user interfaces for cars and therefore need to partner with these companies. I totally agree.

I am encouraged by the glimpse Acura showed us in Detroit. Now the pressure is one them to deliver it. I'm still from Missouri and need to be shown the actual production car that lives up to the hype Acura is putting out. At least it seems as if they have listened to their customers. Can they deliver is the question.
The following 2 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
holografique (01-15-2016), TampaRLX-SH (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
It was interesting to note the comments this week by Walt Mossberger of Re-Code that he prefers to use his iPhone for navigation than the system is his Lexus IS. His point is that most of the auto companies lack the sophication of Google and Apple in creating great user interfaces for cars and therefore need to partner with these companies. I totally agree.
Agree 100%. In fact, looking forward to trying out the Navtool interface in my car when they finally ship for precisely that reason; they plan to do so in late January. Of course, part of my reasoning is the glitches in the 2014 RLX navis haven't been fixed for us yet, and it appears not to be a priority. I'm therefore trying Navtool as a solution.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:40 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
A rant: I hate to be a naysayer on the infotainment issue, but my first response after reading the Mossberg piece was that he forgot to mention the fact that Apple and Google regularly push out new versions that are not fully tested and so have too many bugs. It's in their DNA and I like them both. But in my car, I want software that has had a longer development and testing cycle so I do not get stuck without my NAV system in an unfamiliar place. I agree with him about the user interface of the Apple and Google products, but not about their reliability. There needs to be a happy place between the car companies' bad UI but too-slow development and the tech companie's great UI but too-fast product cycling.

It's the same thing that freaks me out about over-the-air Tesla updates. Have you never had a software update that bricked your computer? I am not a Luddite, and in fact at one time designed software for a living, but we need to slow down the frenetic software product cycling. Hopefully the recent car-hacking episodes have given everyone making auto software good reason to do so. Tech companies have traditionally put new features at the top of the list, and security and reliability at the bottom. Traditional car companies, who have had to deal with lots of regulation - much of it life-saving - have gone too far in the other direction. I vote for Apple to buy GM or Ford, not Tesla. Just saying.
The following 3 users liked this post by fsmith:
hondamore (01-15-2016), neuronbob (01-15-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 07:58 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by fsmith
... the fact that Apple and Google regularly push out new versions that are not fully tested and so have too many bugs. It's in their DNA and I like them both. But in my car, I want software that has had a longer development and testing cycle so I do not get stuck without my NAV system in an unfamiliar place. I agree with him about the user interface of the Apple and Google products, but not about their reliability. There needs to be a happy place between the car companies' bad UI but too-slow development and the tech companie's great UI but too-fast product cycling.
Agree. I have been commenting about this since I 1st paired my Moto Razr to my 2005 TL. And for the consumer, you get stuck between the phone manufacturer, the carrier and the car company all pointing at each other for issues resolutions. The development cycles of cars cannot keep up with cell phone technology, where life cycles barely reach 6 months anymore. Unless they develop an infotainment system that becomes a total slave the smartphone, and basically is a docking station to the phone with handsfree car to phone interface for control.

Further, I agree with the Google frequent updates and stability of them. My Windows Phone got 2 updates in 2 years. As much as Windows Phone is limited and criticized, it was always stable and consistent. Now that I switched to my first Android to leverage the Acuralink Apps, Pandora, Aha, etc., the day to day performance is a crap shoot. One day Pandora works flawlessly, the next day it locks up (the phone, not the car). I experience similar stability issues with apps and sometimes the phone's performance. Offering so many options, features and developers creates an ever changing environment.

I truly expect the auto docking station platform in our future. Apple and Google interfaces we are seeing now are just a stepping stone.
fsmith (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 09:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

I somewhat agree with the comments regarding update cycles. I've been in IT for close to 20 years now and know the impact of poor software QA all too well (some in which have brought entire data centers down).

However, this is 2016, and we have a new generation of young buyers about to hit the market that have grown up around nothing but the online economy, smartphones, and ADD-esque expectations of having the latest and greatest...NOW. Not 6-months, not 12-months, not even 3-months...but NOW. Not to mention many of the buyers already in the market that have shifted to this type of mentality as well.

So I think it's futile to think that car companies can continue on the course they have been with infotainment and navigation technology. IMO, It has to change...period. This is where I continue to stand behind the ideas of platforms approaches like Apple Carplay as the future of infotainment/nav technology for cars.

There is always an argument for "it has to be stable, it can't have bugs, we must resist change!" all ending up in a bunch of fist raising. But in the end, companies will march forward. You could have said the same thing decades ago when smartphones with OS'es came out and those of us in the know complaining how they didn't want to be left stranded with a phone that wouldn't boot due to OS quality issues, etc. etc. and why can't we just stick to good old flip-phones, etc. etc. Now look at the market where it's at. Sure an iPhone or Android or any flavor of the month smartphone platforms can get "bricked". But it's the exception, not the norm. And it certainly hasn't hindered the furious growth of the smartphone industry by any measurable means whatsoever. So why should that hold back any of the car companies from pushing forward the same way?

Whether we like it or not, IMO it has to change, otherwise in-car technology simply will be eliminated as a buying decision/factor for the next generation of buyers. They will just stick to their smartphones and look at in-car technology as s dumb, out-dated, antiquated approach to accessing information, entertainment, and navigation data. And if history teaches us anything, we are prone to sit on our ass and not push forward. Look at the last 20-years of innovation and what little it has impacted core industries in the world we live in. We should be a lot further along than where we are, however, politics, money, greed, and good ol FEAR keep us from making progress. This is where I appreciate the aggressiveness of companies like Tesla to finally stand up and say..."F this, we are going to make this happen, whether you believe in it or not".

Not to turn this into a Tesla fanfare, but it's an example of the conversations of in-car tech. Companies like Tesla have the balls to reshape where the rest of the industry will start to realize they will need to catch up. Sure they aren't perfect, but they've done more to introduce real technology into the car industry in the last few years than any other company has done in several decades. And while they may not get it perfect, what they have done is had the courage to blaze the initial trail that others will follow suit on very soon...that I can almost guarantee. Dismal attempts like the IBM 286 processor based infotainment system in our 2014 RLX is not progress....

Rant mode off

Last edited by holografique; 01-15-2016 at 09:47 AM.
fsmith (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
Counterpoint

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Booooooo....

Start with the flagship, then move downstream. I understand their wanting to change their design language now, though, and they are selling worse in China than in the USA. They really want to make a splach over there. I'm simply glad the beak is offically dead. Distinctive or no, it's not that attractive IMHO.

I like the Big Acura Logo, but it does feel a bit like a rip-off of the big Mercedes logo. And I want to see a "you tube" video of "The Singer Midgets" from The Wizard of Oz singing "Sing, song, the BEAK IS DEAD", as it has single handedly kept me out of Acura's for a decade.

Finally, I love the conceptual new look, but there is no way something of that form is going to sell to the guys on this board. I want something easy to get in an out of, that gives me enough fun without sacrificing comfort. Then, that my daughters won't criticize for being an old man's car.

Again, I think that the RLX had all the above, but I never thought the interior conveyed luxury, and then (I hate to say this) it got on the wrong side of the critics early. Why? Again, Acura buyers are not the mainstream any more. Acura may have created an eclectic subset when they went with the beak, and stayed primarily front wheel drive (and sold the SH-AWD for sporting spin).

So George has not weighed in, but if I read him well (because he is logical, and really understands car mechanics more than me, at least,) he would opine that that beautiful concept vehicle just couldn't be adapted the the car most of us would want. An A7 is the closest thing on the market to it. But Audi has kept much of the new Origami creases out of their design, and so had BMW. Mercedes is playing with it, now (and I don't like them), but Mercedes has generations of loyal buyers. Audi somehow has overcome the front wheel drive thing, for now. But they were ALWAYS famous for offering all wheel drive.

I think that Acura has to design an elegant NON ORIGAMI car for us old farts, and it has to come out as an all wheel drive (with rear wheel drive bias) from the start. This has been said before on this forum, and I am just agreeing.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:23 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I don't know what to say. Using words like Edge and Crafted Precision, while looking at the design, makes me wonder if Michele hasn't seen too many episodes of Poirot, or maybe American Horror.

0_o

I believe that it really should be smoothed out and calmed down before 2018, but the language they're using suggests that they're after some kind of moving Art Deco piece that'll do 140.

I guess that maybe I could see myself buying something that looked something like that, if it had the startling performance you'd expect out of something that looked like that.

And if it weren't red, of course.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sooththetruth
I think that Acura has to design an elegant NON ORIGAMI car for us old farts,
Here we go with this old-farts stuff again. Explain to me how catering specifically to a generation that become more and more conservative overtime helps them grow sales, brand, and market share?

You could argue that my comments about catering specifically to a younger generation is just as one-sided.

I personally believe it has to be balanced. You need a lineup that provides styling, features, performance, and luxury that caters to the widest range of ages possible. I think THIS is where Audi has nailed it and continues to be a big part of the formula of their success. They have everything from small and affordable (A3/A4), to aggressive and sexy (S5), to regal and expensive (A7/A8), all the way to outright exotic (R8), and then throw in the TT for those few that want something different. Tie them all together with a distinguishable yet unique design language and you have a true brand that builds heritage and product awareness. That's what I call covering all your bases.
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
sooththetruth (01-16-2016), TacoBello (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 12:46 PM
Instructor

I personally believe it has to be balanced. You need a lineup that provides styling, features, performance, and luxury that caters to the widest range of ages possible. I think THIS is where Audi has nailed it and continues to be a big part of the formula of their success. They have everything from small and affordable (A3/A4), to aggressive and sexy (S5), to regal and expensive (A7/A8), all the way to outright exotic (R8), and then throw in the TT for those few that want something different. Tie them all together with a distinguishable yet unique design language and you have a true brand that builds heritage and product awareness. That's what I call covering all your bases.
I was really trying to make fun of myself. But I am guilty of equating the Audi suppository look to the tastes of an older generation.

If you feel the Audi's appeal to young and old, then it's even more reason to tone down the design of the RLX sedan for a similar look. It can have some unique traits, to look like an Acura, but I just don't think the current look appeals to enough people.

So, I think I agree with you, and apologize for the "old farts" comment. I should have described a look that appeals to a broader target.

I'm not certain Acura will have the budget to create the broad line-up you are describing. Audi had to grow into this line-up, and Acura needs a bigger hit out of the next RLX (or renamed replacement).
holografique (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 03:50 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
However, this is 2016, and we have a new generation of young buyers about to hit the market that have grown up around nothing but the online economy, smartphones, and ADD-esque expectations of having the latest and greatest...NOW. Not 6-months, not 12-months, not even 3-months...but NOW. Not to mention many of the buyers already in the market that have shifted to this type of mentality as well.
Perhaps this argument between long and short development cycles needs to be divided into two. The systems that have to do with driving need to be rock solid and not messed up with frequent updates that increase the likelihood of bugs. In the extreme, there can be zero (meaning close to zero) bugs in self driving systems. On the other hand, the entertainment systems can be as buggy as an Android release, because it really doesn't matter that much if a song skips. It's annoying but not life threatening.

Here's the solution I would like to see and I think it's what Tampa is suggesting. Let the non-driving, non-critical systems come with the car company's minimum stock solution because those functions must exist to some degree without a smartphone (or at least without the brand of smartphone the company might choose) and then ALSO allow a smartphone to dock and take over the entire system with its own user interface.

I'd even give such a third party system the ability to do navigation, so long as there was a stock navigation system that I could fall back on. I understand this redundancy might increase cost, but I don't think it's practical to sell a car that requires a charged, functional, updated smartphone to run any of its systems. The car needs to work with NO smartphone. And critical driving systems cannot be turned over to third parties. Hmm. Maybe I am a Luddite, after all.
holografique (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ oh absolutely! My comments were not directed at any software responsible for the actual driving mechanics and operation of the vehicle itself. I couldn't agree more that those systems HAVE to be maintained with a level of scrutiny and quality control that would only make the younger generations heads explode with impatience.

Sorry if that separation between the two areas of software based systems was communicated earlier and I just missed it. I think we are all saying the same thing on this one

If you feel the Audi's appeal to young and old, then it's even more reason to tone down the design of the RLX sedan for a similar look. It can have some unique traits, to look like an Acura, but I just don't think the current look appeals to enough people.
I hear what you're saying, but I think it's a bit different with Audi. From my perspective they found the right balance between minimalist conservatism and strong sexy aggressiveness in their design language, and actually executed on it in the final products without the engineering team taking all of it away due to functional limits in a moving operating vehicle. Acura has yet to find that balance. They either swayed too far to the left (conservative), or too far to the right (exotic). And in the case of the right (4G TL) it was a complete disaster. The original ILX and the new NSX are to me the closest things they've done to executing on that balance. The new Precision Concept, is definitely to the right, BUT...it is executed VERY well. Not the abomination we saw in 2006. So visually I still feel it's a step in the right direction.

My guess is we'll see them swing back to the left by way of using elements of the Precision Concept design, not the entire thing. Remember, it's just a concept to inspire the designers, not to release as shown. So the trick is whether they find the right place to stop, as not to swing too far back to the left...but hopefully somewhere right down the middle.

Last edited by holografique; 01-15-2016 at 04:33 PM.
sooththetruth (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 04:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

you guys tell me....this is what I mean when I say the original ILX was probably the best design they've done since the NSX. It was a step in the right direction only marred by the fact that it was such a under-performing car. But the exterior design was IMO spot on...and only proven by how if you take the concept and "tame" it a bit as Timmy did (and a stellar job at that), you start to see the connections.

Honestly the ILX was a far sportier design than the TLX...and of course the RLX.

Last edited by holografique; 01-15-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:33 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
I think the ILX is a very nicely styled car. A nice clean one always catches my eye. I've had one or two 1G loaners; I wonder what the 2G is like with the 2.4L and DCT.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I think the ILX is a very nicely styled car. A nice clean one always catches my eye. I've had one or two 1G loaners; I wonder what the 2G is like with the 2.4L and DCT.
I had one for a couple days during my last major service visit. A white one, premium wih A-SPEC. I liked it. It performed closer to a TLX, but with the slightly tighter suspension feel and noiser cabin of the ILX. It was nice having the familiar interfaces of the infotainment/NAV, and dash/MID elements of the TLX/RLX. And surprisingly it had the much nicer steering wheel leather that we have in our RLX, yet for some reason not used in the TLX (one thing I really dislike about the TLX). Steering wheel feel is soooo important for me being its the single one thing you interact with your hands every time you step in the car to drive.

I do feel like the exterior changes to the MMC overall look rushed, but I still found it fun to drive like my wife's 13' white tech. I would love to drive one that had all the interior qualtiy and sound deadening of an RLX along with PAWS or SH-AWD. Make it a coupe and now you start hitting TT/Roadster territory
Old 01-16-2016, 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
God was that ugly!
...just google pics of the guy who designed this monstrosity and you will see the family resemblance!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:21 AM
Grandpa

Christiansen says that this concept car isn't about any particular future car. (For people who were hoping the future 6G Legend - RLX will look like this.)

She says we'll see elements of the design in many future models, but it's not intended to represent any particular generation future rollout of any known model.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:55 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

RLX to be Acura's last large premium sedan?

This was posted from Automobile today. I find this quote from Dave Marek telling...

"Automobile: The latest RLX was not well received. Does Acura, and do you, retain a desire for a large premium sedan in the RLX vein?

DM: I think we want to embrace Precision Crafted Performance, which indicates lower, wider, more sporty feeling, and more emotional styling and cars, so we don’t really want to do a traditional luxury car [again]. We want to do more of a modern, sporty premium car. You should always know it’s Precision Crafted Performance. It’s in our nature, I’d say fun, to make more sporty, stylish, racing heritage cars."

Q+A: Acura Global Creative Director Dave Marek
The following 4 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (01-20-2016), Malibu Flyer (01-21-2016), neuronbob (01-21-2016), pgeorg (01-21-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 04:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Marek seems to be doing some "spin doctoring" to the RLX sales issue by blaming less than stellar sales on the styling alone.

In my mind, the botched launch, the PAWS suspension issues and the late, very limited release of the Sport Hybrid version are more culpable for lackluster sales than the styling. Had the automotive media been wowed by sub-5 second runs in a Sport Hybrid which handles like it is on rails as their introduction to the RLX, things may have been a bit better.

That said, Acura may be in for a rude awakening if/when they produce a luxury car with poor ergonomics and interior space all in the name of styling. The same auto media that condemned the RLX's exterior styling will be there to castigate the designers for putting form over function and producing a cramped interior. The fact is that, without a snobby badge on the front the naysayers will always have a reason to not want to spend $60,000 on an Acura.
The following 9 users liked this post by hondamore:
2011TL (01-21-2016), George Knighton (01-20-2016), holografique (01-20-2016), JM2010 SH-AWD (01-20-2016), Malibu Flyer (01-20-2016), neuronbob (01-21-2016), pgeorg (01-21-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (01-21-2016), TampaRLX-SH (01-20-2016) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-20-2016, 11:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
... Not mentioned at all but equally important is to partner with some better infotainment folks who can help them make the hardware and software improvements needed to make a great experience in regard to the infotainment system.

I also prefer Google Maps on a phone to built-in nav systems or a dedicated GPS. But here's an interesting article on how automakers are responding:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/18/au...ute-safer.html

Their built-in nav systems can be integrated with a lot of safety tech and near self-driving tech, something a phone cannot do.
Malibu Flyer (01-21-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 11:52 PM
Pro

I guess the Sport Hybrid is a hybrid in more than just its power train. It is a hybrid of a traditional luxury car in terms of design, size and dimensions and a sporty, performance car showing a racing heritage. It fits me to a T.

I also would be disappointed in a sexy looking car that had compromises in terms on interior space and amenities.

At least Acura is trying to improve the RLX. I'll give them credit for be willing to admit they need a somewhat new direction and image. I am anxious to see how they turn words and concepts into a production "flagship".
The following 4 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
fsmith (01-21-2016), hondamore (01-21-2016), neuronbob (01-21-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 12:06 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by WheelMcCoy
I also prefer Google Maps on a phone to built-in nav systems or a dedicated GPS. But here's an interesting article on how automakers are responding:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/18/au...ute-safer.html

Their built-in nav systems can be integrated with a lot of safety tech and near self-driving tech, something a phone cannot do.
Thanks for the interesting article. Some cars are already intergrating Google into their own nav systems. My wife's 2015 Audi A3 uses Google satellite maps imposed into their nav system. I dont think it is used as a e-horizon system. It appears to be just using a prettier picture in their nav system.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
"Automobile: The latest RLX was not well received. Does Acura, and do you, retain a desire for a large premium sedan in the RLX vein?

DM: I think we want to embrace Precision Crafted Performance, which indicates lower, wider, more sporty feeling, and more emotional styling and cars, so we don’t really want to do a traditional luxury car [again]. We want to do more of a modern, sporty premium car. You should always know it’s Precision Crafted Performance. It’s in our nature, I’d say fun, to make more sporty, stylish, racing heritage cars."
So, the answer is "no". We'll see what Acura has in mind in a couple of years (or more?), I guess. My take is that they are completely rethinking RLX.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:07 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

^^^ My guess is they seek a flagship in the vein of an Audi A7, BMW 6 Grand Coupe or even a pseudo exotic Maserati Ghibli and not an executive sedan as the S Class, BMW 7 or Audi A8 (which they already do not compete with). A more niche / specialty sedan would fit the 'low and wide' design. But, as hondamore already pointed out, these style over function cars all compromise interior space, especially rear seat room.

And I find it odd that that they kinda tried that with the RL. A smaller flagship if even restrained styling. And look how that execution beat up the brand. All the carping of the rear seat room insufficient for a flagship model, which they boasted the RLX addresses. Further, the RLX being offered in China where rear seat room trumps almost all other features would become an issue. It leads into the ongoing conversation that the RLX / flagship need be a North American designed and built product, as is the entire Acura lineup.

Personally, I prefer the linkage with the LEGEND and the Japan builds, but again, I like the RLX in the form it finally achieved as of the 2016 MY.
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (01-21-2016), pgeorg (01-21-2016), sooththetruth (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
^^^

...It leads into the ongoing conversation that the RLX / flagship need be a North American designed and built product, as is the entire Acura lineup.

Personally, I prefer the linkage with the LEGEND and the Japan builds, but again, I like the RLX in the form it finally achieved as of the 2016 MY.
Honestly, I think the car is beautiful when seen in person. Has a lot of personality. Unfortunately, the interior was not as sumptuous as that of an Audi A6, and the difference wasn't subtle. But the car was so beautiful to me when seen next to an A6 that i couldn't buy the A6. (and the trunk is very small on the Audi's).

The price of the PAWS was too high, to start with, and the problems with suspension (and the media center) are well known. That initial quality problem has been impossible to overcome in the short term. Then the salesmen for the Hybrid (for the most part) didn't know the vehicle and so people don't get to experience the benefit of the hybrid power. Now with gasoline so cheap, and the ability to buy powerful V6's and even V8's the benefit of the Sports Hybrid is not as great. I would like an RLX with a dual scroll turbo on that engine, and hope the cylinder deactivation would still work for the spectacular highway mileage this big vehicle gives.

Odd that the Sports Hybrid is the only RLX in Canada, selling as though it's a winter vehicle, though Neuron Bob has proven that the Sports Hybrid fuel efficiency benefit is negated by the cold. However the loss of trunk space on such an otherwise spacious vehicle is too big a compromise for some of us.

Last edited by sooththetruth; 01-21-2016 at 08:20 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by sooththetruth:
neuronbob (01-24-2016), pgeorg (01-21-2016), RLX-Sport Hybrid (01-21-2016), TampaRLX-SH (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 08:32 AM
Niner Faithful

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Booooooo....

Don't most auto makers start their new design language with the best selling cars? Like the new BMW design was first used for the 3 series, and then eventually 5 and then 7. Audi beginning their new design with the A4 and so forth.

Or Honda first redid the CR-V and then now released the Pilot which just looks like a bigger Cr-V. I think Acura would probably redesign the TLX first and then focus on the RLX
Old 01-21-2016, 09:16 AM
Grandpa

Smoooooth it out a little, home girl.

Just smooth it out.

Attached Thumbnails Here we go! (Can the 2016 Precision Concept be used for the next RLX?)-iu.jpg  
Old 01-21-2016, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Originally Posted by sooththetruth
Odd that the Sports Hybrid is the only RLX in Canada, selling as though it's a winter vehicle
The AWD of the Sport Hybrid is the feature which makes it more attractive up here in Canada primarily because of the winter traction. Most of the Mercedes I see around here are 4-matic for the very same reason.
sooththetruth (01-21-2016)

Quick Reply: Here we go! (Can the 2016 Precision Concept be used for the next RLX?)