Had my front grille replaced under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 01:54 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Had my front grille replaced under warranty

Brought my RLX into the dealer last week to have some work done. I had the TSB for my steering column performed. It seemed to solve the problem - the car has a mild glue smell which I'm sure will go away with time.

They also replaced my driver side window channel due to wind noise and machined my four rotors as I was experiencing mild vibration and noise during higher speed braking.

Finally, they replaced my front grille due to black spots in the finish. They were clearly spots (the grille was perfectly smooth to the touch) so it was evident they were not caused by stone chips.

I've attached a picture of what the grille looked like before the replacement in case anyone else has this:

Name:  Grille%20spots_zps3ntd3ktr.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  144.2 KB

Now unfortunately, as the picture below shows, during the process of removing my grille, they damaged the paint on my bumper and scratched the licence plate holder. Not a big deal as I can touch up the bumper with my touch up pen, but it's still noticeable. They have offered for me to bring it back in for the Service Manager to take a look at - not sure if it's worth my time. I can't imagine they are repainting my front bumper for this....

Name:  Grille-bumper%20damage_zpseoqkyb0c.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  160.5 KB

Also, I never close my sunroof cover - I like the light in the cabin. When I picked up my car, I noticed the cover was closed. Perhaps they did this to keep my car cool as it was very hot and humid here last week. To my surprise, I see a nice grease spot on the cover.......

Name:  Grease%20on%20sunroof%20cover_zps0qedq79a.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  146.7 KB

My wife spent a good half hour slowly dabbing out the stain so thankfully it's gone - but man, I sure would have expected the dealer to take a bit better care of my car than this. Disappointing for sure.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Wow that is awful CanadacuraTL:-(. I would definitely let the service manager take a look at the bumper and the picture of the grease spot on the cover! At the very least he (the service manager) should have the Technician apologize to you for treating your car that way! Also i think that you should request that they fix or replace your bumper.......that is unacceptable! When the dealer performed the seatbelt recall on my 2014 MDX, they had grease stains all over the upper B pillar pieces! I asked them to replace them, and sure enough they did!
Old 05-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2007 MDX's had the same issue! I guess they are using the same manufacturing company..
Old 05-11-2015, 04:00 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
CanadacuraTL - Unless I'm missing something that isn't obvious here, I do not think there should be any question about the dealership's responsibility to either replace or repair your damaged bumper. To your satisfaction. Period. Small scratch or large scratch. And you should definitely also report the grease to the SM or the GM. Starting with an offer "to bring it back in for the Service Manager to take a look at" is not an acceptable approach for them to take in a matter like this. How about "We are really sorry. Please bring in your car right away and pick up a loaner while we make this right."? I hope once the Service Manager sees what happened he will take immediate and full responsibility. That's my .
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadacuraTL
Brought my RLX into the dealer last week to have some work done. I had the TSB for my steering column performed. It seemed to solve the problem - the car has a mild glue smell which I'm sure will go away with time.

They also replaced my driver side window channel due to wind noise and machined my four rotors as I was experiencing mild vibration and noise during higher speed braking.

Finally, they replaced my front grille due to black spots in the finish. They were clearly spots (the grille was perfectly smooth to the touch) so it was evident they were not caused by stone chips.

I've attached a picture of what the grille looked like before the replacement in case anyone else has this:

Now unfortunately, as the picture below shows, during the process of removing my grille, they damaged the paint on my bumper and scratched the licence plate holder. Not a big deal as I can touch up the bumper with my touch up pen, but it's still noticeable. They have offered for me to bring it back in for the Service Manager to take a look at - not sure if it's worth my time. I can't imagine they are repainting my front bumper for this....

Also, I never close my sunroof cover - I like the light in the cabin. When I picked up my car, I noticed the cover was closed. Perhaps they did this to keep my car cool as it was very hot and humid here last week. To my surprise, I see a nice grease spot on the cover.......

My wife spent a good half hour slowly dabbing out the stain so thankfully it's gone - but man, I sure would have expected the dealer to take a bit better care of my car than this. Disappointing for sure.
Thanks for the pictures, I saw black spots on my grill and could not figure out what they were, now that I see your pictures which look like the same black spots as mine, it time to see the dealer.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:31 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
how did you get the spot out of the top where the sunroof was?
Old 05-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Not acceptable, period. Looks like they pried your old grill off with a crow-bar.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Oh boy,...yes find time and make sure the Service Manager meets you at the dealership.....that is shoddy work and needs to be reported! I would be furious!
Old 05-15-2015, 09:14 AM
Pro

So I have an update. I decided to go back and speak to the Service Manager yesterday after determining that when the squeak in my steering wheel was fixed, it somehow disabled my windshield washer (if I pulled on the column to release washer fluid, it was dead).

Long story short - they are going to touch up the bumper (which I'll see how it looks) and they are trying to determine why the wiper cleaner is not working. They had the car all day yesterday and need to apparently order a wiper motor which won't arrive until Monday (which is a statutory holiday here) - so I won't get my car back until earliest Tuesday.

I have a brand spanking new TLX SH-AWD as a loaner with only 26 miles on it. Very odd without a gear shift knob. I find my right hand always searching to rest it there to no avail... Decent car but it really feels like a step down from my 12 TL SH-AWD Advance. As time away from my TL passes, I realize more and more how good of a car it really was.
The following 2 users liked this post by Limelight:
JM2010 SH-AWD (05-16-2015), pgeorg (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
did you perchance have a 6 speed mt

Originally Posted by CanadacuraTL
So I have an update. I decided to go back and speak to the Service Manager yesterday after determining that when the squeak in my steering wheel was fixed, it somehow disabled my windshield washer (if I pulled on the column to release washer fluid, it was dead).

Long story short - they are going to touch up the bumper (which I'll see how it looks) and they are trying to determine why the wiper cleaner is not working. They had the car all day yesterday and need to apparently order a wiper motor which won't arrive until Monday (which is a statutory holiday here) - so I won't get my car back until earliest Tuesday.

I have a brand spanking new TLX SH-AWD as a loaner with only 26 miles on it. Very odd without a gear shift knob. I find my right hand always searching to rest it there to no avail... Decent car but it really feels like a step down from my 12 TL SH-AWD Advance. As time away from my TL passes, I realize more and more how good of a car it really was.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:53 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 3.2cls6speedmt
did you perchance have a 6 speed mt

No I had the automatic - but I know the 6 speed owners raved about it and I can only imagine how fun it would have been to drive.
The following users liked this post:
3.2cls6speedmt (05-26-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
I would say it is defiinetely worth your time, don't let the dealership get off easy on this one. I had the same thing happen with my Audi and they fixed everything without a question. It's your car, but I would make the dealership pay for it.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:56 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by plastikman
I would say it is defiinetely worth your time, don't let the dealership get off easy on this one. I had the same thing happen with my Audi and they fixed everything without a question. It's your car, but I would make the dealership pay for it.
Agreed, the dealer should repainted it just not just touch it up. Stand your ground!