Features

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Features

A lot of comments from knowledgeable forum members have discussed the design, handling, size, ride etc but I have not seen a comparison or discussion regarding the features or the options available as compared to its theoretical competition.
In this class of sedan it is important that you don't market a car which lacks some features that are common on other cars in its class but its equally important to eliminate some competition by adding features that nobody else offers.
Obviously, one would have to start by comparing the Advance RLX to the rest of the pack but it would be interesting to know if there are features that people want or that others offer that are not available in the RLX. Equally important is that if the RLX offers options that no other car has.

I can start by saying that the "all around" camera view in the Infiniti is a great feature.
I have never seen the dual lens side mirror in a sedan (I have seen it on an F250 truck though).
Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I am comparing features of the Lexus GS's top non-F Sport package versus the Acura RLX's top package. To start with, I like the RLX's haptic touch screen more than this GS's mouse control. Also, I think the new Aha-based AcuraLink might have more functionality and extensibility than Lexus' Enform system.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
I am comparing features of the Lexus GS's top non-F Sport package versus the Acura RLX's top package. To start with, I like the RLX's haptic touch screen more than this GS's mouse control. Also, I think the new Aha-based AcuraLink might have more functionality and extensibility than Lexus' Enform system.
Agree, not a fan of Lexus's mouse- very odd. Acura touch screen is fantastic IMHO. Lane Assist that the RLX is over the top technology. Like the Acura Blind Spot system more that the Lexus one.
The following users liked this post:
jhr3uva90 (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 05:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

As long as the touch screen has the Acura Joystick/Knob as an alternate input device then I would not mind the touchscreen but I doubt that I would hang my arm out over our bouncy roads to try and input using the touch controls.

There is also talk about the ride/suspension not being up to par with this kind of car. I think that the variable suspension from the Advance MDX should have been used. You can select your ride and it is good enough for Ferraris and numerous other cars and continues to get great reviews.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I have been shopping the GS a few times now, and also can't get past that horrible mouse input. Also the Lexus tech is not as up to date as Acura. And while I am not in love with the RLX interior, I also am not a big fan of the GS interior, seems to be very disconnected the dash form the center console. I like a dash that flows into the center console.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
At the $60K mark, here is what I would have expected...and these are all features that I am seeing in either the 5-Series and A6:

Soft-Close Doors
Power Open/Close Trunk
Multi-Contour Seats - Kills me that the RLX, at that price, still has the same controls found in a 4-Cyl Accord with leather!

It's also a bit of a let down that across the Acura line-up (RLX, TL, MDX) they force you into the top of the line model just to get ventilated seats and side/rear sunshades.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by silverrevlis
At the $60K mark, here is what I would have expected...and these are all features that I am seeing in either the 5-Series and A6:

Soft-Close Doors
Power Open/Close Trunk
Multi-Contour Seats - Kills me that the RLX, at that price, still has the same controls found in a 4-Cyl Accord with leather!

It's also a bit of a let down that across the Acura line-up (RLX, TL, MDX) they force you into the top of the line model just to get ventilated seats and side/rear sunshades.
A 535 comparably equipped is about 10K more and that does not include the soft close doors or some of the features that the RLX has. Of course, I am refering to the Advance model because buying the RLX without the luxury features is a strange choice.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:35 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
As long as the touch screen has the Acura Joystick/Knob as an alternate input device then I would not mind the touchscreen but I doubt that I would hang my arm out over our bouncy roads to try and input using the touch controls.

There is also talk about the ride/suspension not being up to par with this kind of car. I think that the variable suspension from the Advance MDX should have been used. You can select your ride and it is good enough for Ferraris and numerous other cars and continues to get great reviews.
I do miss the knob controller from the RL. The CTS has a touch screen. It does have a knob that has limited functionality, but it doesn't hold a candle to the controller in my '06RL.

I think Acura does the best job with the integration and usability of their technology.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by db22
A 535 comparably equipped is about 10K more and that does not include the soft close doors or some of the features that the RLX has. Of course, I am refering to the Advance model because buying the RLX without the luxury features is a strange choice.
Not sure how you think it would be 10K more......but for the sake of facts.....

RLX Advance: $60,450
535i: $62,350 (Soft-Close Door, Power Trunk, Nav, Rear and Side Sunshades, Active/Multi-Contour/Ventilated Seats)
Difference: $1900

Because that difference is so small, and companies like BMW cover maintenance for 4 years, Acura needs to load this car up with content or lease it for DIRT cheap. Not defending BMW, just adding truth to negate an assumption.
The following 2 users liked this post by silverrevlis:
GoHawks (05-03-2013), jwong77 (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Not sure how you think it would be 10K more......but for the sake of facts.....

RLX Advance: $60,450
535i: $62,350 (Soft-Close Door, Power Trunk, Nav, Rear and Side Sunshades, Active/Multi-Contour/Ventilated Seats)
Difference: $1900

Because that difference is so small, and companies like BMW cover maintenance for 4 years, Acura needs to load this car up with content or lease it for DIRT cheap. Not defending BMW, just adding truth to negate an assumption.
I'm sure that BMW for that price does not have all the same features the RLX has. If I recall the B&O sound system is like $5K
Old 05-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KeithL
I'm sure that BMW for that price does not have all the same features the RLX has. If I recall the B&O sound system is like $5K
I'm not sure if the Krell system in the RLX is on par with the B&O system, but other than that (and excluding the features the RLX lacks mentioned before), the features are pretty much level set (power adj steering column, power folding mirrors, approach lighting).
Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Suzuka Master

And the 535i at that prices has LKAS, Adaptive cruise, crash mitigation, etc? I question that because I was on BMW dealer site and can,t even get a 528i comparable equipped around the same price.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Soft-Close Doors
Power Open/Close Trunk

I looked at A8, A7 and A6 about a month. I only saw soft close doors and power trunk on the A8?

Anyways, the A6 drives very well, but there is so much hard plastic and cheap materials on an A6 for a a $60K car. The A8 for a flagship is much better, but they can't even put a suede headliner in a $90K car and there is still too much hard plastic there as well.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
And the 535i at that prices has LKAS, Adaptive cruise, crash mitigation, etc? I question that because I was on BMW dealer site and can,t even get a 528i comparable equipped around the same price.
I agree. BMW can't compete on features, but they sell on driving experience. However, Acura has managed to really boost the RLX price up there in the upper trim levels. It really makes the potential buyers cross shop many fine models at $60K.