Electronic parking brake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:20 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Electronic parking brake?

How does the RLX's electronic parking brake and brake hold function work?

On my LS460, it would apply the parking brake whenever I stopped - say, at a traffic light - then automatically release the second I stepped on the accelerator. I loved that, because it did away with having to constantly apply pressure to the brake pedal to hold the car at a light or on a slope.

It was also nice to have the parking brake automatically applied whenever I parked the car.

So, does the RLX system work the same?

Old 01-21-2014, 02:38 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
a little googling works wonders!
Electric Parking Brake
The Electric Parking Brake (EPB) on the RLX Sport Hybrid makes using the parking brake easier and more comfortable. Actuating the parking brake is now as simple as pulling a button on the center console. To release the parking brake, the driver simply presses on the accelerator pedal. In addition to being simpler, more convenient and more comfortable to use than a traditional parking brake, the new Electric Parking Brake makes hill starts easier when the RLX is parked on a grade.
The ease of use also promotes the use of the parking brake. Further, since only a few competitive vehicles have an Electric Parking Brake (EPB) system, its inclusion in the RLX further defines the new Acura as a true flagship. As with a traditional manually activated parking brake, EPB functions on the rear wheels only.
Automatic Brake Hold
The RLX Sport Hybrid also features Automatic Brake Hold, which retains brake pressure when the vehicle is stopped, simplifying driving in heavy traffic or hills. This frees the driver from continually pressing the brake pedal to maintain the vehicle in a stopped position, a significant improvement in driving enjoyment in difficult conditions.
Operating the system requires two simple actions from the driver:
  • Activating/deactivating the system via a switch on the center console.
  • Pressing on the brake pedal when the vehicle comes to a stop.
Once these steps are taken, Automatic Brake Hold will indicate engagement and then maintain brake pressure when the vehicle has come to a stop, even if the driver releases the brake pedal. The RLX then remains stopped – even on a hill – until the driver presses the accelerator pedal. At this point Automatic Brake Hold releases the brakes and the vehicle resumes normal braking function.
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
Mike_TX (01-21-2014), victorber (02-15-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 03:32 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by justnspace
a little googling works wonders!
Ouch! I guess I deserve that.

I actually did try a search on this site, but didn't turn up anything. Your quote refers to the Hybrid ... I suppose it works the same on the non-Hybrid?

Oh, wait - maybe I can google that.

Yep, it works the same! Thanks.

Last edited by Mike_TX; 01-21-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Mike,
I thought I recalled you bought a Lexus LS460.....What ever happened to it?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:20 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
Mike,
I thought I recalled you bought a Lexus LS460.....What ever happened to it?
Oh, my. That was long ago.

I traded the LS460 for a 2011 Infiniti M56, and after a year traded that for a 2012 TL. Traded the TL for a 2013 RDX, which I now have. It's been almost a year since I got the RDX, so I'm understandably getting itchy. So I'm eyeing the RLX.

The following users liked this post:
Fabvsix (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I traded the LS460 for a 2011 Infiniti M56, and after a year traded that for a 2012 TL. Traded the TL for a 2013 RDX, which I now have. It's been almost a year since I got the RDX, so I'm understandably getting itchy. So I'm eyeing the RLX.
I don't understand your vehicular progress! :-)

I've driven an LS460 and an LS460 F Sport, and it seems to me that they're the best you can do this side of 200 grand.

IMHO, you went down when you went to the M56, so I'm just curious why you did that.

My tests were on 2013 models and although I thought that they were tremendous, they were just too expensive. It was very easy to get them up around 115,000 when you put everything on them that you'd want to have on them...and it would only make sense if you bought into the premise that they are the best thing this side of a Bentley.

But you already had one (what year?) and went to Infiniti, which makes my head spin!

The only bad things I could say about the LS460 is that even in F Sport trim it's not exactly what I'd call a sporty drive. But I don't think people in that segment are looking for engagement as much as they're looking for a pleasant environment in which to travel.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I don't understand your vehicular progress! :-)

I've driven an LS460 and an LS460 F Sport, and it seems to me that they're the best you can do this side of 200 grand.

IMHO, you went down when you went to the M56, so I'm just curious why you did that.

My tests were on 2013 models and although I thought that they were tremendous, they were just too expensive. It was very easy to get them up around 115,000 when you put everything on them that you'd want to have on them...and it would only make sense if you bought into the premise that they are the best thing this side of a Bentley.

But you already had one (what year?) and went to Infiniti, which makes my head spin!

The only bad things I could say about the LS460 is that even in F Sport trim it's not exactly what I'd call a sporty drive. But I don't think people in that segment are looking for engagement as much as they're looking for a pleasant environment in which to travel.
Well, George, I didn't say my choices always make sense.

The LS460 was very nice, but it had glitches. I didn't like the 8-speed tranny, which would get confused as to which gear it wanted to use, and which often decided with a solid thump. It was also a bit slow to respond to throttle, delivering a distinct hesitation at times. The voice recognition was the worst in the known world, making it almost useless. The nav wasn't much better, even thought I installed a bypass to the in-motion lockout.

But the real insult came when it broke a valve spring one fine day and made me limp to the dealer barely keeping it running. The dealer kept it for a total of 19 days trying to fix it. That kind of hurt my feelings, and I vowed to get rid of it.

At the time, the newly-introduced M56 looked good - 420hp, better nav, lots of cool stuff, etc. So I traded for it. As fate would have it, the Infiniti had a glitch or two of its own. One was an intermittent rough idle that threatened to stall the engine at times. Infiniti had no fix for it. It also ate tires and had a few other peculiarities.

So I decided to quit spending so much and "downgrade" to a TL. The TL served me well, but I kinda liked the looks of the RDX. SUV's had always held some interest for me, and here was one that was a good size, had good performance and actually got good gas mileage! So I traded the TL for my current RDX.

After a year, I stil like the RDX, but I can't get away from the feeling I'm driving a large shoebox down the road. I don't really need the cargo capacity, so that's not a factor, and it's not ideal on the highway because of its sensitivity to crosswinds. And headwinds.

I wouldn't ordinarily trade UP again at this stage in my life, but the deep discounting on the RLX is making it interesting. I got my first RL - a 2006 - under the same circumstances, and that RL was possibly the best all-round car I've ever owned.

That's the short answer.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Grandpa

That's the short answer.
And I actually understood it. Thanks.

I must've been introduced to the LS series later than you. The 8 speed that I drove, I thought it was great.

But...here I am in an RLX.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Mike,
My partner has an 07 RDX Tech.....I can't stand the stiff ride!!!! It feels like a tossing a brick down the stair case..... I don't know how you deal with that....The BEST car I have owned is my 2004 RL.....its just bullet proof....ride is smooth and quiet. Is it the fastest? NO Is it conservative? YES but I still get glares when I decide to take her for a ride....she has a whopping 26K das original miles ytd....My 07 MDX has been stellar too! I am disappointed with all the complaints with the newer 2014 MDX and it looks too much like a VAN as opposed to a muscular SUV.....I am not sold on the new RLX either.....
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
Mike,
My partner has an 07 RDX Tech.....I can't stand the stiff ride!!!! It feels like a tossing a brick down the stair case..... I don't know how you deal with that....The BEST car I have owned is my 2004 RL.....its just bullet proof....ride is smooth and quiet. Is it the fastest? NO Is it conservative? YES but I still get glares when I decide to take her for a ride....she has a whopping 26K das original miles ytd....My 07 MDX has been stellar too! I am disappointed with all the complaints with the newer 2014 MDX and it looks too much like a VAN as opposed to a muscular SUV.....I am not sold on the new RLX either.....
Fab, my RDX was a 2013, and they improved the ride quality a lot over the earlier 1st Gen.

Alas, I turned the RDX over to the dealer tonight for a 2014 RLX, so I don't have to worry about it any more.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:39 PM
AcurAdmirer

Too bad we can't have Brake Hold default to "On". I use it all the time.

And too bad the switch is up under the edge of the console and not easy to reach. I wish it were on the steering wheel like it was on my Lexus.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:11 PM
Grandpa

Too bad we can't have Brake Hold default to "On". I use it all the time.
Same here. It's not a deal killer, but I'd prefer to be able to decide whether to leave it on.