Christmas Tree Lights on the dash again

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 08:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Christmas Tree Lights on the dash again

So yesterday the emissions and parking brake warning came up in the MID and then several other dash lights turned on. I took the Blackbird over to the dealer and they diagnosed the issue to a needed software update in regards to the fuel injection system and something to do with Cat#2 again. I don't know if there was a service bulletin on that, but that was the solution. Remember I had CAT#2 replaced under warranty a long while ago. I saw nothing in the driving dynamics to suggest that anything was wrong, but it was a quick fix. However, since I am now beyond 50,000 miles, I had to pay for the service time.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear about the gremlins again. No warranty, maybe time to move on before it becomes a major headache. When I buy first year models I will always pony up for the extended warranty. They have always paid out and more.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 08:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Actually I did not classify it as a gremlin, but a software update is no problem as far as I am concerned. Yes an extended warranty would have helped me avoid the small cost outlay, but I have never found them to pay off in the past. Watch I will learn the hard way this time. I am not interested in any other car for a daily driver even with this latest unscheduled dealer visit. If anything I would get the next version of this car when it comes out one day, but I'm in no hurry. I only owe $26k at this point and at .09% interest I am in no hurry to pay it off. I just keep making the small monthly payments and in a couple more years it will be paid off, probably just in time to get the next one. Whatever the trade in value is at that time will lower the cost for the next one. It is an awesome car and I love it! Oh and the MDX-"Luxury Hybrid" too!

For comparison, I have 2 different neighbors with all Audi households and another with 4 BMWs, and I see them with loaner cars far more often than we need them in our home with two Acuras. They are all beautiful automobiles, but any car will have required maintenance and occasional issues of concern from time to time. I don't think having an expectation of zero issues to be satisfied with the product is reasonable, not that you are saying that. I appreciate the comment though.
moose66 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 12:05 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
LOL. A BMW dealer near us always advertises they have the "largest loaner fleet" in the region. There's a reason they have all those loaners!
3.2cls6speedmt (08-02-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Did not mean for my comment to sound harsh. Like you, but PAWS, I am in no hurry at the almost no-interest loan rate. My wife now drives the RLX for the majority of the time and when I speak of trading, she always says not the RLX. She would only give it up for a Maserati Ghibli, but I know how often I would then be at the service center then. You are fortunate to have the Hybrid, no dealers carry them in the Houston area.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
Did not mean for my comment to sound harsh. Like you, but PAWS, I am in no hurry at the almost no-interest loan rate. My wife now drives the RLX for the majority of the time and when I speak of trading, she always says not the RLX. She would only give it up for a Maserati Ghibli, but I know how often I would then be at the service center then. You are fortunate to have the Hybrid, no dealers carry them in the Houston area.
Ye Gods not the Ghibli. Looks good, sounds great, Italian "reliability" combined with FCA unreliability. Pass
JM2010 SH-AWD (07-29-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 06:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by miner
I wiped the tears before. No worries. Other than the various warranty stuff over the last two and half years, I have only spent money on tires, air filters, fluid changes and one set of wiper blades. Not bad for 52,000 miles on any car. Again when I had the front rotors resurfaced a few thousand miles ago, the pads were measuring as new which is remarkable and demonstrates the regenerative braking going on with the hybrid. I have seen and heard many of those Italian sedans around my area. I hear they are a nightmare to run longer than a few thousand miles without significant time in the dealership. I have not heard of someone buying another after purchasing one. That is telling. Now my son's best friend who's mom drives a Porsche Panamara Turbo, that is a beautiful automobile and sounds ridiculous. One day...
Old 07-27-2017, 08:02 PM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
So yesterday the emissions and parking brake warning came up in the MID and then several other dash lights turned on. I took the Blackbird over to the dealer and they diagnosed the issue to a needed software update in regards to the fuel injection system and something to do with Cat#2 again. I don't know if there was a service bulletin on that, but that was the solution. Remember I had CAT#2 replaced under warranty a long while ago. I saw nothing in the driving dynamics to suggest that anything was wrong, but it was a quick fix. However, since I am now beyond 50,000 miles, I had to pay for the service time.
Funny that happened to you yesterday ....that was your second time, correct? Well, mine did the same thing yesterday, and it was also the second time. The first was about 8 months ago. The first time fixed with a "software update", as was the second today. I hope a pattern is not developing.

Maybe a strong sunspot yesterday or something???
Old 07-27-2017, 08:23 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Emissions should be covered under warranty:
"Is the catalytic converter covered under warranty?

Federal emissions laws require carmakers to cover the catalytic converter and PCM/ECM (powertrain or electronic control module) under warranty for eight years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. The P0420 fault code could have causes other than a problem with the catalytic converter.Jun 14, 2009"

I have had the dash light up a few times, usually in the rain or snow. A restart resolved the issue.

Last edited by pcloadletter; 07-27-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bulldog2
Funny that happened to you yesterday ....that was your second time, correct? Well, mine did the same thing yesterday, and it was also the second time. The first was about 8 months ago. The first time fixed with a "software update", as was the second today. I hope a pattern is not developing.

Maybe a strong sunspot yesterday or something???
How weird. Maybe someone on Acurazine hacked our cars just to piss us off. Or it could be the Solar Eclipse? Maybe Bigfoot? We do have Canadians on the forum. They can vouch that Bigfoot is real right? All kidding aside, I'm not worried that there is a pattern here.