Bought a new 2020 RLX Sport Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 03:34 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by r10apple
I’ll post some pics soon. I got the same white color combo as you. I am having the roof wrapped black in a couple of weeks. Other than that ‘mod’, I swapped out the factory wheel lock for a blue tuner lock that sort of matches the blue hybrid badge. Windows are already tinted.

As for impressions, I had both a 2016 and a 2018 RLX Tech before, but the cars are not similar at all. The 2020 SH has the cooled seats, HUD, better seats, better cameras, Krell—all great options. My kiddo loves the rear sunshades. The car is obviously much quicker, though it feels floatier that the Tech cars did. And I swear the leather is nicer. In the end, the only thing I dislike is the rear trunk room. Otherwise, love the added performance, the Krell and the HUD.
Congrats on the new RLX!!

Had some questions: Is the infotainment any better (more responsive) on the 2020 than the 2016 or 2018, or is it exactly the same? How does the Krell compare to the ELS in the Tech? When you say it feels "floatier", what does that mean? Is that a good or bad thing? How does it handle driving around city/suburban streets and in stop and go traffic? Also do the cooled seats just cool the bottom or both the back and bottom?

Thanks! Congrats and enjoy the vehicle!
Old 11-07-2020, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 228 Posts
I believe the infotainment in 2018-2020 RLX is exactly same system Acura has been using since 2014. It's dated, difficult to navigate and super slow. I hated it in our 2017 MDX, now hate it even more in my RLX.
Krell is a step above ELS IMO. The driver quality, clean sound without distortion, and beautiful metal grills are awesome.
It does float a bit when hitting a big dip in the road. Nothing "Buick-like". This is an executive car, it is tuned like such.
Driving around street is a serene experience in the RLX. I always challenge myself to use as much EV as possible for an even quieter ride.
Ventilation seats are cooled both bottom and back. It's not as strong as on my Lexus GS. Shame how it doesn't automatically ratchet down to lower fan speed. So you're constantly either too hot or too cool.
Also hate no auto rear climate control. Acura just give back seat passengers a wheel to turn manually to adjust air temperature...WTF!! it's a 60K car! One of the many perplexing complex of the RLX (no active dampers, no real wood trim. no rear auto climate. no rear USB ports). I feel Acura cut some corners to keep this car under $60K, oh well no car is perfect.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:48 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,185 Posts
I agree with jdpdata about the assessment of the RLX hybrid. The ride is a lot softer to what I'm used to with my previous Acura's with:
- 06 TSX: Aspec suspension, Progress RSB
- 08 RDX: Eibach lowering springs, Progress RSB
- 11 MDX: Active Damper System, larger f/r RSB compared to base/tech MDX, Racing brake slotted rotors w/ Carbotech 1521 pads, and 20" rim/tire combo
- 19 MDX: Hybrid with electronic dampers and true tq vectoring w/ regen braking

The RLX hybrid doesn't have the "sporty" ride I'm used to; but, it can be waaaay more relaxing and smoother for rough city roads. The RLX still handles the curves because of the advanced sh-awd system. The RLX does feel a little nose heavy and I don't think it would keep up with my 19 MDX hybrid on a twisty road course. The RLX would kick the snot out of my MDX hybrid in a straight line at any speed. I also find the brakes in the RLX a little more touchy compared to my MDX. I sometimes apply the brakes too hard when I first get into the RLX and end up stopping too abruptly instead of smoothly. The RLX would make a much better city commuter vehicle compared to my previous vehicles because of the hp/tq, extremely quiet cabin, smooth ride over almost any surface, and +28 mpg always. The RLX is very easy to drive smooth in stop/go traffic because of EV mode and tons of tq available. My MDX hybrid isn't as smooth with 50 lbs of less tq and extra 100lbs to haul around. I ended up using the MDX 3.0L V-6 gas engine more (and I get 2-4 mpg less in my MDX on the same exact city routes).

I really like the Krell sound and how it looks in the RLX instead of the hidden look of the ELS in my MDX. I wish Acura would have used the Krell system on the MDX Advance instead of ELS. I can hear a noticeable improvement in sound quality with just XM or bluetooth audio inputs compared to my MDX ELS system. Another big plus with the RLX and sound quality of the Krell system is the how much outside sound and road noise is reduced with this vehicle. The only distracting sound I hear sometimes are the rear electric motors can be heard working at lower speeds if you have the volume turned down (never heard the MDX rear motor working).

The hard button climate seats in the RLX seem to cool/heat a little better than the automatic system in my MDX. You will feel the cool functions a little more if you are wearing more breathable clothing (dockers compared to jeans). Most of the time the wife and I forget to use the RLX heat/cool seats because I don't need them. The RLX seats are very comfy and feel pretty good on the coldest morning or hottest afternoon as-is (garage kept, tinted windows, and sun shade).
Old 11-10-2020, 10:11 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jdpdata
I believe the infotainment in 2018-2020 RLX is exactly same system Acura has been using since 2014. It's dated, difficult to navigate and super slow. I hated it in our 2017 MDX, now hate it even more in my RLX.
Krell is a step above ELS IMO. The driver quality, clean sound without distortion, and beautiful metal grills are awesome.
It does float a bit when hitting a big dip in the road. Nothing "Buick-like". This is an executive car, it is tuned like such.
Driving around street is a serene experience in the RLX. I always challenge myself to use as much EV as possible for an even quieter ride.
Ventilation seats are cooled both bottom and back. It's not as strong as on my Lexus GS. Shame how it doesn't automatically ratchet down to lower fan speed. So you're constantly either too hot or too cool.
Also hate no auto rear climate control. Acura just give back seat passengers a wheel to turn manually to adjust air temperature...WTF!! it's a 60K car! One of the many perplexing complex of the RLX (no active dampers, no real wood trim. no rear auto climate. no rear USB ports). I feel Acura cut some corners to keep this car under $60K, oh well no car is perfect.
I agree with most of this, except I don't find the infotainment too bad to work with. The Krell is a much cleaner sound--not as much bass, with most every source. I will say that the ELS is exceptional if you have true 5.1 DTS material to play, but if you do not, the Krell is better. The couple of 5.1 discs that are working on the Krell (Sting's Brand New Day, Bonnie Rait's Live album, a couple of Mercedes Benz 5.1 demos discs) are a toss up between the Krell and ELS in overall quality of sound, though the rear staging of the Krell is quite forward.

As for the handling, I think the car is floatier everyday than both my 2016 and 2018 RLX Techs. And in the 'sport' mode, even the 2018 Tech felt sharper/less floaty that the new 2020 SH. However, I can clearly hussle the SH much quicker than a nonhybrid, so...in the end, it's a fun car in a straight line and keeps you wondering if you might spill your coffee carving a corner. Much as I did on my other two, I'll burn through the summer/run flat Michelin tires and then get some proper AS Continentals and it will ride like butter even more than it does.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:12 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Crappy, rainy pics before roof gets done next week.
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 228 Posts
My twin! You're just missing the rear decklid spoiler. And I got all the PPF done couple weeks ago. You can see it bit of the film on rear bumper. I also had a small strip on bottom of trunk so I have some place to grab on to when closing.

The following users liked this post:
rlx015 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
Congrats on the new RLX!!

Had some questions: Is the infotainment any better (more responsive) on the 2020 than the 2016 or 2018, or is it exactly the same? How does the Krell compare to the ELS in the Tech? When you say it feels "floatier", what does that mean? Is that a good or bad thing? How does it handle driving around city/suburban streets and in stop and go traffic? Also do the cooled seats just cool the bottom or both the back and bottom?

Thanks! Congrats and enjoy the vehicle!
having both 16 and 20 RLX SH adv, I find that the 20 RLX SH did some update to the head unit. Bluetooth remember and pick up connection faster. interface is little faster. I use Spotify more now a day and it sounds fantastic