All Weather Handling

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
You people are driving me crazy with this Continental stuff.

I might have to give it a try, but the OEM Michelins don't seem to be wearing out.

I don't like that name, Continental.

It just reeks of European entanglements. :-)
When I decide to order the Michelin PS4s, I know where you can get a set of OEM Michelins at a great price with VERY low mileage on them. That is if you choose to RESIST!
Old 04-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts
Geez, you guys are getting into my head! I've several Honda/Acuras and wholeheartedly agree the OEM tires are crappy, but I've always ridden them til about 25-30k miles unless they were absolutely crappy in the snow.
I haven't owned this RLX long enough nor driven it enough to make a real determination on these OEM tires (3k miles now), but all this tire talk and slipping in the wet, convinced me the OEM tires goes with the next rebate on the Michelin A/S 3+, wait, nope, maybe the Conti is better, wait, nope, peeking at the TLX forum, the boys there absolutely love the A/S 3+. Choices!
I'm leaning towards the Michelin only because Costco doesn't sell Conti and the last couple times I was at Discount Tire they were overly pushy re: their exclusive models from Yoko, etc, insurance and siping.... way more than in the past.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:05 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I switched to a set of Continentals DWS 06. Those were far better then the good years I had and more so in the rain. Rain performance is a biggy for me and those tires are awesome in the rain.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (04-25-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Ti(y)res

I've been quite pleased with the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4s -- even after a Chicago winter (which was exceptionally mild this years as compared to my 18 years here). By no means are these dedicated snow tires or sticky summer sport tires, but unless I'm driving the car in either of these conditions, I find it hard to justify the expense of swapping seasonal tread. For 9/10s of driving conditions, I have no complaints with these OEMs.

There is one consistent instance where I notice slipping whilst driving -- in one area of our suburb, I must make a 10-20 degree elevated right-hand turn which crosses two railroad tracks. The transition from asphalt to the grated metal plate on the railroad crossing causes a momentary and minor fishtail to the left, but it is quickly corrected by the computers. Anticipating similar changes in surfaces, I can typically navigate such thresholds without issue. Sure, I'd love to have summer treads, but I don't really feel like pay $2K for 4-5 months of performance driving. Same with dedicated snow tires -- the roads are usually cleared and passable within half a day of a moderate to heavy snowfall here.

I don't think any tire will ever be an all-season performer on 19" rims. If I were to stay in northern Minnesota or Wisconsin for a few months, I might try to find a set of 18" rims from a 2014-2016 RLX base and place some winter spec tires. Otherwise, the grip, mileage, and decibel level of these Michelins is perfectly adequate in my opinion.
wstr75 (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:18 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Bellanova
I don't think any tire will ever be an all-season performer on 19" rims. If I were to stay in northern Minnesota or Wisconsin for a few months, I might try to find a set of 18" rims from a 2014-2016 RLX base and place some winter spec tires. Otherwise, the grip, mileage, and decibel level of these Michelins is perfectly adequate in my opinion.
This set on eBay have been marked down. The started at $950 two weeks ago.

(4 )Acura Factory Oem Wheels 2014 2015 RLX 18" Michelin Primacy Mxm4 245/45 R18 | eBay

Considering a single reconditioned 18" wheel is around $200-250 (without tire) - that is a bargain.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 04-26-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
I wonder if these have the noise-reducing resonators within them?
Old 04-26-2017, 11:24 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Yes they do.

2014 Acura RLX Specifications - Honda.com
Old 04-26-2017, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
metal plate on the railroad crossing causes a momentary and minor fishtail to the left, but it is quickly corrected by the computers. Anticipating similar changes in surfaces, I can typically navigate such thresholds without issue.
I think that Bellanova hit the nail on the head regarding the "minor fishtail" issue. If you don't over-react and try to correct, the car will get you to the direction that you want to go and simply drive away. This takes some experience with torque vectoring and traction control on slippery surfaces and some faith in the car, but, with time, it becomes a complete non-issue.

I'll also reiterate that I believe that the sensation being discussed is not a true fishtail or oversteer since the traction control will not let the rear end of the car go past the desired direction of travel. What is being experienced is the car getting to the desired direction of travel faster than expected because of momentary loss of traction on the inside rear tire that is braking to help (in conjunction with the extra torque sent to the outside wheel) turn the car through the corner. The true drama occurs if the driver over-reacts and jerks the steering wheel and then the car doesn't know what direction you want to go.

Just my two cents based on a LOT of winter driving including a big snowfall this past weekend. Of course on icy roads, you are expecting to slide a bit and I can see where the issue is more pronounced and disturbing when a bit of sand or moisture on otherwise dry roads suddenly cause the issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondamore:
pgeorg (04-26-2017), wstr75 (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
As Tampa mentioned, yes they do. I have a set with my winter tires on....
Old 04-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
I think Bellanova and Hondamore may be on-target with their comments. We had heavy rain conditions the past three days and I could not get my RLX to repeat the previous minor momentary fishtailing experience. The cloverleaf where my previous experience occurred has nearly 60 years of usage and a variable turning geometry (two sharp turns with a radius flattening in between), so maybe it was the variable (worn) surface inducing the minor fishtailing as noted by Bellanova's railroad tracks experience because the inside rear tire is doing its braking action as conjectured by Hondamore.
The following 3 users liked this post by wstr75:
hondamore (04-26-2017), pgeorg (04-26-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 03:10 PM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
I think that Bellanova hit the nail on the head regarding the "minor fishtail" issue. If you don't over-react and try to correct, the car will get you to the direction that you want to go and simply drive away. This takes some experience with torque vectoring and traction control on slippery surfaces and some faith in the car, but, with time, it becomes a complete non-issue.

I'll also reiterate that I believe that the sensation being discussed is not a true fishtail or oversteer since the traction control will not let the rear end of the car go past the desired direction of travel. What is being experienced is the car getting to the desired direction of travel faster than expected because of momentary loss of traction on the inside rear tire that is braking to help (in conjunction with the extra torque sent to the outside wheel) turn the car through the corner. The true drama occurs if the driver over-reacts and jerks the steering wheel and then the car doesn't know what direction you want to go.

Just my two cents based on a LOT of winter driving including a big snowfall this past weekend. Of course on icy roads, you are expecting to slide a bit and I can see where the issue is more pronounced and disturbing when a bit of sand or moisture on otherwise dry roads suddenly cause the issue.
I think the rub is that we all feel it takes some experience with this car to feel ok about it. I had an RL for 10 years that had torque vectoring, and I can't remember once where I was COASTING (I think torque vectoring on that mechanical system only came in to play with power being applied to the wheels) through corners at very conservative speeds in rain conditions where the backend got loose. I agree the electric system vectoring on this car causes this issue when no power is being supplied, since it automatically brakes on side and powers the other, just like in dry conditions. Many people buy/use this car that do not have the understanding/expertise of the folks on here. Coming from any other car on the market, they will overcorrect in the fashion that works on other cars. If you are on the right lane making taking a right curve in the rain and it gets loose, let's hope no one is coming the other way next to the double yellow (and if it's an unexperienced user of an RLX hybrid, I hope I'm not on the other side of that line!). Again, coasting through a curve at conservative speed as you would on any other car to avoid getting loose should not result in a greater chance of a collision for a normal driver. If this is a quirk of the technology, supply the tires that, at least, make it act as other cars on the market. Again, happened to me at least 4 times in 8000 miles, and a couple to my wife. Still love the car, will try new tires.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bulldog2:
hondamore (04-26-2017), pgeorg (04-26-2017), wstr75 (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

^^
The only thing I can say is that proper tires transform this car! The feeling of the rear letting loose with the OEM tires, is completely gone since I put the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Especially in the wet!
Also braking in the wet is about 30%-40% better (feeling and distance).....

This is just my personal experience after changing them at 3,000 miles, because I didn't like that feeling. I now have 17,000 miles......
The following 3 users liked this post by pgeorg:
Bulldog2 (04-26-2017), hondamore (04-26-2017), wstr75 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:38 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
I'll also reiterate that I believe that the sensation being discussed is not a true fishtail or oversteer since the traction control will not let the rear end of the car go past the desired direction of travel.
I've watched my car on a traction circle when someone else is driving steady state.

The car will definitely allow oversteer. It's not a huge amount, but the nose is pointed inside of the car's true travel.

The driver said he could also feel the left/right switching between the two 36 HP motors on the tail.
The following 5 users liked this post by George Knighton:
Bulldog2 (04-27-2017), hondamore (04-27-2017), pgeorg (04-27-2017), TampaRLX-SH (04-27-2017), wstr75 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:39 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by pgeorg
^^
The only thing I can say is that proper tires transform this car! The feeling of the rear letting loose with the OEM tires, is completely gone since I put the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. .
The proclivity will remain, so don't get too confident.

What you've done is change the G-point and speed at which you will experience the phenomenon.

In consequence of that, remain wary because when it does happen the risks will be higher.
The following 4 users liked this post by George Knighton:
Bulldog2 (04-27-2017), pgeorg (04-27-2017), TampaRLX-SH (04-27-2017), wstr75 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

I definitely understand what you are saying George, but for the way I drive the car these tires have made it much much safer.....

.....at least in my mind
Old 04-27-2017, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts
Got to drive it in a minor thunderstorm yesterday on the freeway. Gotta say they performed quite well. They seemed to track the rain grooves a bit more than my other cars but not too bad.
I'm not that old (turned five dimes this year) but tire technology has advanced alot! Driving w/ train of cars doing 80, started to drizzle, no one slowed... started to pour, I moved over to slow lane drop to 70, everyone else continued on at 80..... 25 yrs ago I would have been sliding pretty bad and someone would have ended up in a ditch going 80 in the rain. I know it's better tires cause peoples driving gets worse every year....
wstr75 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 03:12 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
mqs1, your insight helps explain something I've noticed increasing - increasing accidents in the rain. Ten years ago, the 25 mile interstate stretch between our town and the next town infrequently had cars going off the roadway during heavy rains. Now it seems to happen nearly every time we have a heavy rainfall. I was thinking it was more folks on the road coupled with a given percentage of folks driving with bald tires. Perhaps it is not an increase in folks with bald tires and is instead more folks going higher speeds in the rain because their tires are better at handling rainy conditions. Many of these off the road excursions seem to go a long ways off the road to the final stopping point.

Here is some interesting information relating tire pressure to hydroplaning (aquaplaning) speed:
Aquaplaning formula - PPRuNe Forums
mqs1 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 07:59 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by wstr75
Here is some interesting information relating tire pressure to hydroplaning (aquaplaning) speed:
Aquaplaning formula - PPRuNe Forums
The formula for aquaplaning speed in Miles per Hour is 10.4 x square root of tyre pressure in PSI.
6.08276 x 10.4 = 63.26 mph

I don't think that takes into account modern tread designs and modern compounds of all weather tyres.

I've certainly driven a hell of a lot faster than that with standing water on a track, without hydroplaning. I dunno. Where's this calculation come from?

The whole idea of relying on a calculation like that seems pretty risky to me, but perhaps I'm overcautious.