Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
"Outscores" in what way? Trunk space?
Here is more....

The Impala racked up a class-leading 95 points in Consumer Reports magazine’s road test, beating all others in its peer group, including the Toyota Avalon, Ford Taurus, Chrysler 300, Buick LaCrosse, Nissan Maxima, Lincoln MKZ, Dodge Charger and Hyundai Genesis and Azera.

The score “places it not only at the top of its category but also among the top-rated vehicles we’ve tested overall,” CR wrote in its September issue.

Here is a graphic...

So it is an overall score.

While I have been very impressed with the Impalas I have seen on the road, I too am skeptical that you can compare the two, but the fact that it was mentioned shows how unimpressed CU was with the RLX.

Last edited by GoHawks; 07-25-2013 at 10:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jhr3uva90 (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by TSX69

The 2014 Acura RLX is Acura’s flagship vehicle until the new NSX hits the showrooms in about 2 years. It is stuffed full of the latest and newest technology including PAWS which in Honda speak stands for ‘Precision All-Wheel-Steering’. Get it? The brand new 2014 Acura RLX is powered by a high revving 3.5L 310 HP V6 engine that powers the front wheels. In another fun and informative TFLcar video we test and review the new top dog Acura from 0-60 MPH to see how fast and how well it drives.

The Acura RLX has been timed between 6.0-6.5 seconds 0-60 MPH at sea level. How much time does this luxury cruiser lose in rarified air of the Colorado Rocky Mountains? The Acura engine is normally aspirated, but it revs relatively high (near 7,000 rpm). Can the high revs get the big Acura into the 7-second range? Watch the video to find out and also see what rating Roman and Nathan give the 2014 Acura RLX.
Just getting a chance to catch up on some of these reviews.

Interesting observation....

Often times when an Acura is reviewed or discussed, it is referred as a Honda/Acura, yet you rarely ever hear Toyota/Lexus or Nissan/Infiniti.

It's not a criticism because in the end it is what it is, just an observation.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I wonder what criteria CR used for its overall score. I'm not saying anything is wrong with the Impala, I'm just wondering how they came to their conclusion.

That being said, I'm guessing CR is unimpressed with the RLX because, quite frankly, the P-AWS version of the RLX is unimpressive... at MSRP. But considering that the RLX's actual sales price has apparently dropped by $5,000 (US) already, I think you get a lot for the money with the RLX. Also, I think the RLX is an even better value when you take into account long-term ( >5 years) TCO.

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Here is more....

The Impala racked up a class-leading 95 points in Consumer Reports magazine’s road test, beating all others in its peer group, including the Toyota Avalon, Ford Taurus, Chrysler 300, Buick LaCrosse, Nissan Maxima, Lincoln MKZ, Dodge Charger and Hyundai Genesis and Azera.

The score “places it not only at the top of its category but also among the top-rated vehicles we’ve tested overall,” CR wrote in its September issue.

Here is a graphic...

So it is an overall score.

While I have been very impressed with the Impalas I have seen on the road, I too am skeptical that you can compare the two, but the fact that it was mentioned shows how unimpressed CU was with the RLX.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:49 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Consumer Reports just gave a glowing endorsement. Why do I post this here? Because while doing so they say it outshines more expensive cars like the Acura RLX.

I included the excerpt so you don't have to read the whole thing.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013072...orts-top-rated

In addition, “the new Chevy outscores luxury sedans costing $20,000 more,” including the Acura RLX and Jaguar LX, the magazine said. The 2014 Impala’s base price ranges from $26,725 to $35,770, excluding destination charges.
Sorry but what on earth is a Jaguar LX? I don't even see that model being listed at the Jaguar USA website. I don't know how much I can trust CR if they can't even get the model name right....lol...

Every mag is entitled to its opinion but C/D doesn't quite think the Impala is best in class:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-8
Old 07-25-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou
Sorry but what on earth is a Jaguar LX? I don't even see that model being listed at the Jaguar USA website. I don't know how much I can trust CR if they can't even get the model name right....lol...

Every mag is entitled to its opinion but C/D doesn't quite think the Impala is best in class:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-8

My purpose of the post was not to tout the Impala as the next great car. I was just pointing out that CU REALLY liked it and went so far as to say that it scored better than the RLX.

Having said all that, the Impala scored pretty damn well even in the C&D comparison you posted. It came in second overall to the Avalon and even beat out the RWD models that the magazine seems to gravitate towards. I am pret impressed.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:08 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

To be fair though when you look at the scoring in C/D, 1st to 4th placed cars are really close to each other. Even the 5th placed Kia Cadenza is not far behind.

Avalon: 197
Impala: 194
Charger: 193
300S: 192
Cadenza: 188

Cadenza is in that position mainly because of its higher than average as-tested price.

The way I see is that, all of the above cars are all great cars in the segment, and none of them is exactly better than the other by much.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Just getting a chance to catch up on some of these reviews.

Interesting observation....

Often times when an Acura is reviewed or discussed, it is referred as a Honda/Acura, yet you rarely ever hear Toyota/Lexus or Nissan/Infiniti.

It's not a criticism because in the end it is what it is, just an observation.
They do mention Toyota when they shared.
http://www.tflcar.com/2012/12/review...ury-offroader/
Old 07-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

My purpose of the post was not to tout the Impala as the next great car. I was just pointing out that CU REALLY liked it and went so far as to say that it scored better than the RLX.

Having said all that, the Impala scored pretty damn well even in the C&D comparison you posted. It came in second overall to the Avalon and even beat out the RWD models that the magazine seems to gravitate towards. I am pret impressed.
I'm sure the Impala is a very nice car. I also think that CR doesn't care about details such as audio system, low-speed follow, etc. That's why I've learned to take ALL car reviews with a grain of salt and do my own research by test driving the cars several times and also talking to actual owners in forums like this one.
The following 3 users liked this post by jhr3uva90:
2011TL (07-27-2013), hondamore (07-27-2013), victorber (07-28-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 01:09 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
I'm sure the Impala is a very nice car. I also think that CR doesn't care about details such as audio system, low-speed follow, etc. That's why I've learned to take ALL car reviews with a grain of salt and do my own research by test driving the cars several times and also talking to actual owners in forums like this one.
+1.

If one can pit the Impala against the RLX, I'd imagine one can compare the Impala with say, an Audi A6.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Only thing I use CR for is reliability info, which they ironically don't use for their recommendation scoring.
victorber (08-01-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Funny to be reading this now because I am currently renting a '14 Impala for a week. It is very nice and miles ahead of the old car (queen of the rental fleets), but I would not be happy if I had paid 39K for the car. There are some trim flaws inside and the sound system sucks, even on my higher level version which is well equipped. Gas mileage is just ok. It is very quiet and spacious - perfect for the family vacation use to which we are putting it. But the highest rated sedan ever? Not quite.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Funny to be reading this now because I am currently renting a '14 Impala for a week. It is very nice and miles ahead of the old car (queen of the rental fleets), but I would not be happy if I had paid 39K for the car. There are some trim flaws inside and the sound system sucks, even on my higher level version which is well equipped. Gas mileage is just ok. It is very quiet and spacious - perfect for the family vacation use to which we are putting it. But the highest rated sedan ever? Not quite.
Yes, I guess CR's priorities are different from most car reviewers, whose priorities are different from mine.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:06 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Just curious, how does it compare to your TL?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 PM
Drifting

^^^It is roomier inside and smoother riding, but the performance and build and material quality are not close. Stereo has lots of connectivity options, but the sound is awful. It would be a really nice car for 25-30K, but not for 39, if that is what Chevy is trying to get for them. Reminds me a lot of the Buick Lacrosse.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Would the $39k version has nicer stereo and upholstery?
Old 08-01-2013, 01:46 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
Seeing the stack up of the models above I don't see any category for Reliability, Dependability or MTBF, which is what I use to help finalize my decision.
Honda is a terrific engineering company which is why the level of Quality far exceeds other manufactures..
Just my 02cents worth...
Old 08-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb FenceViewer

Honda Motor Co. USA created its Acura Luxury Car Division back in the 1980s with the 1st models going on sale in the States in 1986 — 3 years before Lexus or Infiniti debuted. Key to that early Acura success was the top, premium model — the midsized near-luxury sedan named the Legend.

Essentially a slightly larger Accord, the Legend represented a new attitude and direction for Honda, allowing the brand to expand beyond its typical and customary middle-class roots and attract a wider, more lucrative audience. A volume based Civic-derived Integra model also appeared, plus Acura created the vaunted NSX sports car — an Asian Ferrari, if you like. This exotic car for the masses allowed Acura to command the highest prices for any Asian car sold here back then — and now. Out of production for several years, Acura is toying with reintroducing a super-performance hybrid NSX.

In the early 1990s, Acura added another sedan to its lineup, the oddly named Vigor. Again, loosely based on the Accord platform, the 5-cylinder-powered Vigor only marginalized the Legend’s volume instead of significantly expanding overall sales. Despite the Legend’s ease of competing with the larger, more expensive Lexus LS series sedan, this BMW-fighter sedan was not growing sales each year. By 1996, Acura had, incredibly, dropped both the Vigor and the Legend and created a new large sedan, the RL. A midsize TL series quickly followed. The Legend, 1 of the best car names ever, had been abandoned for an alphabet-soup designation that marketers liked better.

Today, the 2 best-selling Acura nameplates are the midsize MDX crossover and the compact class RDX. The best-selling Acura car is the midsize TL, while the ILX is the Integra replacement model — which is still based on the present Civic. Do any of these generic labels instill passion in the buying public?

The RLX sedan seen here is the all-new replacement for the large sedan RL. Still a front-wheel-drive design, the new Acura flagship skirts the dimensions of the midsize/full-size segments — too big for the former, too small for the latter. However, the latest RLX also will be available with a high-performance hybrid powertrain, 370-combined horsepower output with gas and electric motors that uses Acura’s 1st car-only AWD system.

The standard RLX, starting at $48,450, is a close competitor to the Lexus ES models. Stretching to 196 inches long on a 112-inch wheelbase (2 inches and 3 inches longer, respectively, to the midsize TL sedan) the new RLX weighs in at 2 tons. The tried-and-true Honda 3.5-liter SOHC V-6 engine with variable cylinder management and VTEC programming helps to produce 310 peak horsepower. Mated to a smooth 6-speed automatic transmission — with steering wheel paddle shifters — the RLX realizes an EPA fuel economy rating of 20/31-mpg with a combined rating of 24 mpg. During our time together, over 800 miles, the RLX returned a consistent 26 mpg. Power delivery is very lineal and throttle response to energetic driver requests is generally very satisfying.

The RLX competes in a very well-endowed segment. The aforementioned Lexus models are big sellers, while the class benchmarks remain the Audi A6/A7, BMW 5-series and 6-series cars, plus the Mercedes E-class. Lincoln’s new MKZ plus Cadillac’s CTS also are rivals. Have you got all of these alpha-numeric names mentally organized yet? Would the ‘Legend’ name perhaps stand out in this segment? Just a thought.

Acura is marketing the numerous electronic systems available in the latest RLX as the differentiator. And this latest Acura is well-stocked with ‘goodies.’

There are essentially 4 total trim levels defined by the RLX’s optional packages. The Technology Package ($54,450), the KRELL Audio Package ($56,950) and the Advanced Package ($60,450, shown) round out the lineup. The hybrid model will arrive later this year.

Standard pieces include Jewel-eye LED headlamps, LED-illuminated door handles, 12-way power leather seats, On-Demand touch-screen interaction, Triple-zone climate controls, 404-watt 10-speaker audio system, keyless start, multi-view rear camera, forward collision warning system, and lane departure warning system. Navigation can be added to the standard car for $1,500.

Our top Advance model included Graphite-luster paint, 19-inch alloy wheels, rain-sensing wipers, heated and cooled leather seating with memory, power folding side mirrors, heated rear seats, front and rear parking sensors, Pandora Internet radio, power tilt and telescoping steering wheel, power rear sunshade with manual side window shades, lane-keeping assist system, adaptive cruise control with automatic low-speed following programming, plus Acura’s new collision mitigation braking system.

1st off, the RLX’s interior works well. It is nicely detailed, handsome to look at and comfortable to enjoy. The touch-screen symbols produce a vibrating signal when activated, confirming your interaction, while the symbols, controls, and switches are intuitive and relatively easy to use while driving. The thumbwheels on the steering wheel for audio and information-panel interaction earn particular praise for their ease of use as well as overall tactile feel. The soft-touch leather steering wheel and a full array of pleasant fabrics and materials complement the RLX’s design. A solid ‘A’ here.

Access is good, but taller rear seat occupants commented about the lack of thigh support despite a large bench perch that provides ample head and leg room. The seat back does not fold to expand the 15-cubic-foot trunk.

Systems: there are a lot and they are mostly quite impressive.

Dynamic cruise continues to be an impressive display of what the engineers are able to accomplish with today’s modern electronics and computer programs. The Acura’s was sometimes inconsistent with spacing intervals, yet you can follow a forward car right through the toll booth, dropping from 70 mph to 20 mph, without touching a single pedal.

Building from that engineering, the Acura uses a forward collision system that should improve a driver’s chances when they mindlessly let distractions replace good driving. Ignore your closing speed on vehicles in front of you and there is a flash warning on the dash. Fail to react and a loud beep sounds plus a brighter light flashes BRAKE! Continue to doze and the collision mitigation braking intervenes and the seat belt automatically tightens as the car expects an imminent crash. I did not allow that to happen, despite the annoying stop-n-go traffic of Boston’s infamous Route 128.

From the helm, the RLX drives nicely too. This is a car that grows on you, a boulevard cruiser that doesn’t wow you with any particular superlatives, but a sedan that whisks you to your destination in quiet comfort. Throttle response is good, braking feel is strong, and the car feels lighter than its poundage. It rolls along well.

The RLX’s handling and ride, however, are not up to the par established by the Germans. Certain surfaces initiate excessive chassis rebound, while the wheels clomp over some terrain that does not ruffle other big cars. Despite the innovative P-AWS rear-wheel steering, the Acura doesn’t appear to deliver any handling edge over its rivals. At best, the RLX chassis is average in a class that usually delivers more compliance and composure.

Previous RL sedan sales were a fraction of what the former Legend model achieved. If this new RLX model doesn’t move the needle higher, Acura will have to reset its lineup to find cars that sell as well as its crossovers.

RLX pros: roomy and upscale cabin, great features list, more attractive styling, good track record on reliability.

RLX cons: clumsy rough road ride, heavy price for the AWD option, no heated steering wheel?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Safety Car

Arrow AutoBytel

Old 08-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
"RLX cons: clumsy rough road ride, heavy price for the AWD option, no heated steering wheel?"

Have they announced AWD price?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by getakey
"RLX cons: clumsy rough road ride, heavy price for the AWD option, no heated steering wheel?"

I don't think Acura has released the SH-AWD price yet.

No heated steering wheel? That's a complaint? Seems pretty minor to me. Oh well.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Just FYI, the Canadian Tech version and Elite package both come with a heated steering wheel obviously as a reflection of our colder winter climate.

I also don't understand criticizing a car's price when it has yet to be announced. This is why all car reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt.

A Canadian auto review show did a segment on the RLX and blasted it by saying, "unlike other luxury brands, the RLX doesn't even offer an AWD option". This is what happens when the guy who used to mop the floor gets promoted to doing car reviews. Unfortunately, the uninformed public watches this crap and believes it.
2011TL (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Glad someone else caught this. What the what?

Looks like it's time for a quick, polite email to the writer.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
A Canadian auto review show did a segment on the RLX and blasted it by saying, "unlike other luxury brands, the RLX doesn't even offer an AWD option". This is what happens when the guy who used to mop the floor gets promoted to doing car reviews. Unfortunately, the uninformed public watches this crap and believes it.
Driving Television??
Old 08-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Driving Television??
Nope, it was Motoring 2013 on TSN.

It wasn't the usual guy who does the road tests, but some new guy who knew very little about the automotive industry. Apart from not knowing that an AWD version of the RLX will be available soon, he also mentioned that the RL debuted in 2011????? Well, not everyone can be a genius... the world needs ditch diggers and automotive journalists too.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb HeraldWheels

For the 2014 model year, the RLX has officially replaced the RL in Acura’s lineup. Despite its discreet styling and performance, RLX is the most advanced vehicle Honda has ever built for the road.

As a flagship sedan, this machine serves as a rolling showcase of what Acura has been working on. Apparently, they’ve been working quite a bit on autonomous driving because at any given moment, the RLX is scanning the world around it using cameras and radar, making calculations, contemplating collected information and preparing to warn you of, or protect you from, potential hazards.

For instance, the RLX can tell you if there’s a car hiding in your blind spot, if you’re about to rear end someone or back into something, or if you’re drifting out of your lane.

Without your help, RLX can slow down and speed up automatically based on traffic conditions, steer you back between the lines if you’re heading off the road, or even apply its brakes to prevent or minimize a collision.

Any more self-aware, and they’d have to ship it with a name and a birth certificate and, if cars get much more self-operational than the RLX, I’ll be out of a job as a car reviewer and likely be reduced to restocking toiletries at my local Super 8.

Acura’s new V6 engine powers up the RLX driving experience; a cutting-edge 3.5-litre unit with cylinder deactivation and direct injection technology, it was exhaustively engineered for pleasing performance and great fuel mileage.

Mission accomplished.

Though the 310 horsepower output level is hardly aiming for the top of the segment, the RLX hustles along urgently when called upon and gets by slower traffic in a jiff when drivers prod the throttle. The engine is pleasing to put through its paces, but drive it like a responsible adult and it’s mostly quiet and laid back.

Fuel mileage, additionally, is excellent. Your writer was delighted at a test overall consumption of 8.8L /100 km, which puts the big RLX in mid-sized, 4-cylinder, family-sedan territory.

Overall, the driving experience is easygoing to the max. While you relax and let the RLX handle nearly everything for you, you’ll enjoy the leather that lines the seats, dash, doors and nearly everything else. 2 full-color display screens are stacked in the centre console for a distinctively high-tech look that sets off an otherwise welcoming and laid-back cockpit.

RLX’s cabin isn’t big on stimulation, but its’ relaxing, comfortable and formal. It’s also easy to board and exit, packs plenty of at-hand storage space and keeps road and wind noise nicely in check at speed.

Suspension calibration sees a slight firmness dialed in to make the RLX a bit more engaging to drive. Though many cross-shopping the market’s offerings will find a comparable Lexus or Mercedes to have a more all-out comfortable ride, the RLX won’t likely disappoint where long-haul comfort is concerned.

At the time of filming, all RLX’s were front-drive, though an AWD hybrid is on the way. The tester did pack a new Precision All Wheel Steering (PAWS) system, which sharpens up handling at high speeds by calling upon the rear wheels for steering assist which rotates the RLX on its axis. Translation? As the RLX approaches understeer in fast corners, the rear-end swings out slightly as a countermeasure. The PAWS system also enhances maneuverability at low speeds.

Driver relaxation in the RLX is furthered by fully automatic lighting, wipers and climate control and, if you’d rather take in some music, the great big Krell audio system is happy to help. Vivid clarity and nice imaging are the up-level stereo’s biggest assets for the avid audiophile.

For fuel efficiency, comfort and discreet-looking delivery of flagship sedan amenities, the RLX hits the mark. Performance and handling are appreciable, though they aren’t the centerpiece of the driving experience. Neither is the cabin, or the styling, or the big stereo.

Ultimately, your writer found the best part of the RLX to be its non-intrusive character. Performance, though available, doesn’t overshadow the driving experience. The cabin, though comfortable, modern and posh-looking, doesn’t demand an ounce of the drivers attention or effort.

From the driver’s seat of the RLX, you feel surrounded by space and luxury, but it all fades quickly from attention as the scenery floats by and the automatic features handle everything for you. This is 1 of those machines ideal for many consecutive hours of comfortable, non-stimulating, and relaxing travels and with the fuel mileage, stops can be virtually as few and far between as drivers like.

Complaints? The infotainment system comes with a learning curve before intuitive operation is possible and I missed some of the secretly sporty flare that characterized the last-generation Acura RL. Further, the paddle-activated shifts are executed after a notable delay that makes their use largely irrelevant.

Compared to the RLX, the new Lexus GS350 is a more athletic all-around performer and packs a more striking, upscale cabin execution. An Audi A6 or BMW 5-Series with similar power output figures will feel like it’s in more of a rush when drivers push it hard. Finally, a Chrysler 300 can provide more affordable access to a similarly high-tech, luxuriously appointed experience for less money.

The RLX will appeal most strongly to a shopper after a machine that flies under the radar and doesn’t beg for attention. Add in Acura’s lustrous reputation for reliability, resale value and owner satisfaction and it makes a smart choice for a shopper after a discreet luxury flagship experience.
The specs

Engine: 3.5-litre V6, direct injection, 310 horsepower
Drivetrain: front-wheel drive
Transmission: 6-speed automatic
Observed average mileage: 8.8L /100km
Features: KRELL audio, AcuraLink connectivity, voice command, automatic climate control, climate controlled seats, LED headlights
What’s hot: Excellent on fuel, big and comfy, nice stereo, loaded with the latest high-tech
What’s not: falls short on visual and performance excitement, generic looks
Starting price: $49,990
Old 08-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Safety Car

Post Detroit

Luxury cars should be special.

You can give me a medal for stating the obvious, but that simple fact eludes some car companies that persist in slapping luxury price tags on cars that are really just pumped-up family sedans.

The 2-star 2014 Acura RLX sedan is the latest example. Despite an upscale interior, Acura’s new flagship sedan is no match for the handling and performance of the Audi A6, Cadillac CTS, Infiniti M37, Lexus GS 450 and Mercedes E350. It even falls short of high-end family sedans like the new Chevrolet Impala and Toyota Avalon.

Prices for the 2014 Acura RLX run from $48,450 to $60,450. A 310-horsepower 3.5-Liter V6 and 6-speed automatic transmission are standard on the front-wheel-drive sedan. An all-wheel-drive hybrid version due later this year promises to deliver more power and higher fuel economy. Acura hasn’t announced prices for the AWD hybrid yet, but don’t expect an economy car. It’ll cost more than the gasoline-only model.

I tested a fully equipped $60,450 RLX that featured attractive oyster-shell leather seats, adaptive cruise control, Krell audio, power sun roof, voice recognition, blind spot and lane-departure alerts, automatic braking to avoid collisions and more. As attractive as those features are, the RLX’s handling performance and overall refinement don’t match its luxurious competition.

The RLX’s interior is among its strong points. Roomy and comfortable, it provides more passenger and luggage space than the competitors. The back seat is particularly accommodating. The car I tested had an attractive light and dark color scheme, soft materials at nearly every touch point and plenty of storage cubbies for glasses, cups, phones and music players.

The gauges are big and clear. I found the controls a bit clunky. A touch screen in the middle of the center stack runs some systems. A dial and a few buttons below the touch screen control other functions that are displayed on a 2nd screen above the touch screen. It’s an odd combination that does nothing that couldn’t be accomplished with a single, well-designed touch screen.

The optional voice recognition understands words well, but requires more steps than competing systems do for common tasks. I never got voice access to the contacts in my iPhone. After my week with the RLX ended, Acura told me AT&T iPhones have extra steps that aren’t in the manual. I’d suggest shoppers have a salesperson pair their phone so they can see if they can make voice-activated calls.

Several people I spoke with about the hands-free phone complained about the audio quality.

The RLX’s EPA rating of 20 m.p.g. in the city, 31 on the highway and 24 combined is very good. Only the refreshed 2014 Mercedes E350 matches it among the competitors I’ve named. The RLX is so efficient that its annual fuel bill should be lower than competitors that use regular gasoline, like the V6 Cadillac CTS and Lincoln MKZ.

The RLX is not for enthusiastic drivers. Throttle response is unexceptional. Engaging the sport setting helps, but will reduce fuel economy. I experienced mild torque steer when I accelerated quickly from a stop. The car boasts of Acura’s new rear-wheel steering system, but felt no more responsive than its competitors. In quick turns, the handling betrays the nose-heavy layout typical of big front-wheel drive cars. The RLX handles more like an average family sedan than the sport sedans it hopes to compete with.

Other than eye-catching multi-element LED headlights and mildly flared front fenders, the RLX’s styling is anonymous. I could barely pick it out when it was parked in front of my house, let alone in a crowded lot.

It’s the latest stumble from Acura, which became the first luxury Japanese brand when Honda created it nearly 30 years ago. Acura was intended as a step up from Honda models like the Accord and Civic. It has become a series of wrong turns, with models that may be slightly better than the corresponding Honda, but don’t approach the appeal of true luxury cars.

Contact Mark Phelan at mmphelan@freepress.com or 313-222-6731.

Behind the Wheel

2014 Acura RLX with Advance package
Front-wheel-drive 5-passenger luxury sedan
Price as tested: $60,455 (excluding destination charge)
Rating: 4 (Out of 4 stars)
Reasons to buy: Fuel economy; interior materials; passenger and luggage room.
Shortcomings: Price; performance; voice recognition; controls.
Competitive EPA fuel economy ratings:

(Automatic transmission models)
2014 Acura RLX — 20 m.p.g. city/31 m.p.g. highway/24 m.p.g. combined. Premium gasoline.
2013 Audi A6 3.0L TFSI Quattro Premium — 18 m.p.g. city/22 m.p.g. highway/23 m.p.g. combined. Premium gasoline.
2014 Cadillac CTS 3.6L — 19 m.p.g. city/28 m.p.g. highway/22 (est.) m.p.g. combined. Regular gasoline.
2013 Infiniti M37 — 18 m.p.g. city/26 m.p.g. highway/21 m.p.g. combined. Premium gasoline.
2013 Lexus GS 350 — 19 m.p.g. city/28 m.p.g. highway/23 m.p.g. combined. Premium gasoline.
2013 Lincoln MKZ 3.5L AWD — 18 m.p.g. city/26 m.p.g. highway/21 m.p.g. combined. Regular gasoline.
2014 Mercedes E350 — 21 m.p.g. city/31 m.p.g. highway/24 m.p.g. combined. Premium gasoline.
(Automatic transmission models)
Audi A6 3.0TFSI Premium Quattro — $55,100
2014 Cadillac CTS Performance 3.6L — $57,400
2013 Infiniti M37 — $48,700
2013 Jaguar XF 3.0L -- $50,000
2013 Lexus GS 350 — $47,250
2013 Lincoln MKZ 3.5L AWD — $39,045
2014 Mercedes E350 — $51,900

Key Features on vehicle tested:

Standard equipment: Antilock brakes; stability control; electronic brake force distribution; emergency brake assist; hill start assist; curtain air bags; front seat side air bags; f\driver knee air bag; lane departure warning; all-wheel steering; backup camera; touch screen; 14-speaker Krell audio system; XM satellite radio; HD radio; Bluetooth phone and music compatible; Pandora internet radio interface; 12-way power front seats; memory for driver’s settings; power windows, locks and mirrors; heated front and rear seats; push button start; power titl and telescoping steering column; 3-zone automatic climate control; universal garage door opener; rear side window sun shades; auto dimming side and rearview mirrors; LED headlights; power sunroof; 19-inch alloy tires; tire sealant and inflator; keyless entry with smart entry; navigation system with voice recognition; real-time traffic updates; blind spot alert; perforated leather seats’ power folding side mirrors; rain sensing wipers; collision mitigation braking system; adaptive cruise control; lane keeping assist system; ventilated front seats; parking sensors.
Options: None.

2014 Acura RLX Advance

Front-wheel-drive 5-passenger luxury sedan
Base price: $60,450
Price as tested: $60,450 (excluding destination charge)
Safety equipment: Antilock brakes; stability control; electronic brake force distribution; emergency brake assist; hill start assist; curtain air bags; front seat side air bags; f\driver knee air bag; lane departure warning.
Specifications as tested
Engine: 3.5-liter direct-injected DOHC variable timing 24-valve V6.
Power: 310 hp @ 6,500 rpm; 272 lb-ft of torque @ 4,500 r.p.m.
Transmission: 6-speed automatic
EPA fuel economy rating: 20 m.p.g. city/31 highway/24 combined. Premium gasoline
Dimensions
Wheelbase: 112.2 inches
Length: 196.1 inches
Width: 74.4 inches
Height: 57.7 inches
Curb Weight: 3,997 lbs.
Where assembled: Sayama, Japan.

Last edited by TSX69; 08-08-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Another "meh" review.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Drifting

Yeah, the "look at me" crowd definitely won't like it.

That's what makes it appealing to me, if I were looking for a car in this class.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:06 PM

Yeah, the "look at me" crowd definitely won't like it.

That's what makes it appealing to me, if I were looking for a car in this class.
It's not just the looks though. Aside from a very nice interior he said that the handling was was unexceptional.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Safety Car

I don't get the handling part. We have new owners saying that PAWS is better than the SH-AWD of the 2G RL.
I'd like to see head to head slalom times against the badge cars
Old 08-09-2013, 05:42 PM

I don't get the handling part. We have new owners saying that PAWS is better than the SH-AWD of the 2G RL.
I'd like to see head to head slalom times against the badge cars

Have people actually said that P-AWS is actually better than SH-AWD?

That I have a hard time believing.

I do see how it can marginally negate understeer that is an inherent issue of a FWD car, but I have a hard time believing that it is better than SH-AWD who is (in my opinion) a true torque vectoring system.

What I mean by "true torque vectoring" is the ability to over drive the outside wheel as opposed to some manufacturers who are going the cheaper route of braking the inside wheel. The latter is cheaper because you can program the stability control system to brake the wheel whereas the former requires sophisticated transfer cases and differentials.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Safety Car

Have people actually said that P-AWS is actually better than SH-AWD?

That I have a hard time believing.

I do see how it can marginally negate understeer that is an inherent issue of a FWD car, but I have a hard time believing that it is better than SH-AWD who is (in my opinion) a true torque vectoring system.

What I mean by "true torque vectoring" is the ability to over drive the outside wheel as opposed to some manufacturers who are going the cheaper route of braking the inside wheel. The latter is cheaper because you can program the stability control system to brake the wheel whereas the former requires sophisticated transfer cases and differentials.
What I have read is that RLX owners say that they can notice PAWS at "normal" driving conditions where SH-AWD is really not noticeable unless you are pretty aggressive in the turns. That is my experience with SH-AWD as well.

And, since transmission losses are greater with SH-AWD, I can see where PAWS and the slightly more HP engine is giving a spirited ride.

Let's hope the vectoring in the hybrid SH-AWD can make more of a difference all the time
GoHawks (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 05:59 PM

What I have read is that RLX owners say that they can notice PAWS at "normal" driving conditions where SH-AWD is really not noticeable unless you are pretty aggressive in the turns. That is my experience with SH-AWD as well.

And, since transmission losses are greater with SH-AWD, I can see where PAWS and the slightly more HP engine is giving a spirited ride.

Let's hope the vectoring in the hybrid SH-AWD can make more of a difference all the time
I can see that. You're right, you really had to push the 2nd gen RL, but when you did, instead of understeer and pushing, the car rewarded you by hunkering down and taking the corner confidently.

Most people don't drive that way, and that P-AWS probably improves the drivability enough for the driving that the majority of people do who buy these cars.

I also agree that not having to drive two extra wheels can give the car better performance without having to bump up HP.

Although adding Pilot Sports to the 2nd gen RL probably would have helped 0-60 (Sorry couldn't help myself on that one )

Last edited by GoHawks; 08-09-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea, P-AWS is probably more useful for most owners as most people don't push their cars to the limit.

I'd say P-AWS is more accessible, not better than SH-AWD.
GoHawks (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iforyou
Yea, P-AWS is probably more useful for most owners as most people don't push their cars to the limit.

I'd say P-AWS is more accessible, not better than SH-AWD.
I think it is a trade-off, but your accessible term is spot on. I drove a curvy road to/from work everyday. It was difficult to get SH-AWD to kick in without running down the car in front of me. I bet PAWS would have felt good on my commute. But, agree, SH-AWD is better when you can push the car. It is amazing to feel the car go from understeer to hunkering down and accelerating through a corner.
GoHawks (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think it is a trade-off, but your accessible term is spot on. I drove a curvy road to/from work everyday. It was difficult to get SH-AWD to kick in without running down the car in front of me. I bet PAWS would have felt good on my commute. But, agree, SH-AWD is better when you can push the car. It is amazing to feel the car go from understeer to hunkering down and accelerating through a corner.
Yes, but the MDX has SH-AWD plus Agile Handling Assist (AHA), which works when a car is braking. Hopefully, the RLX will eventually have Sport Hybrid AWD, AHA, and maybe even P-AWS. In the meantime, I kinda feel like P-AWS + AHA is a bit of a downgrade from the 2005 RL.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb NewCarTestDrive

The Acura RLX is the brand's new top-of-the-line sedan, replacing the discontinued RL and conceived to give Honda's luxury division increased traction in the heart of the luxury segment. It's a segment that continues to be dominated by a Germanic trio, Audi A6, BMW 5 series, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, all of them either rear- or all-wheel drive, all strong performers, all heavily endowed with panache and prestige.

So what does the RLX bring to the table to enhance Acura's credibility in this high stakes game? The new car is certainly not without virtues. New sheetmetal, new engine, new (to this model) chassis technology, improved fuel economy, new interior, and a wealth of electronics some devoted to infotainment, others to safety features.

Basics: at 196.1 inches of overall length, the Acura RLX is just 0.3 inch longer than the RL, but its 112.2-inch wheelbase represents a stretch of 2.0 inches. That, plus a 2.0-inch expansion in width, gave the design team plenty of raw material for improving interior volume, particularly in the rear seat area, a weak point with the RL.

The engine is also new, an aluminum 3.5-liter SOHC V6 with 4 valves per cylinder, variable valve timing, and direct fuel injection. Its output, 310 horsepower, 272 pound-feet of torque, is all but identical to the 3.7-liter V6 that propelled the RL (300 horsepower, 271 pound-feet), but the key development objective for the 3.5 was fuel economy, and in this the new engine represents a big improvement: 20/31 mpg City/Highway, according to the EPA, versus 16/22 for the RL. Some of this gain is attributable to the adoption of direct fuel injection, more of it to cylinder deactivation, which shuts down half the engine in steady highway cruising.

The new V6 is allied with a 6-speed automatic transmission, sending power to the front wheels. While the car's overall gearing is oriented toward optimizing fuel economy, the RLX will get out of the starting blocks and across an intersection with reasonable haste. Beyond that, forward progress becomes a little more deliberate, respectable, but not extraordinary.

While the RLX propulsion inventory is thus far routine, the RL-X does bring 1 mechanical distinction to the table, 1 that gave the Acura product people an opportunity to exercise their penchant for peculiar acronyms. They call it PAW-S, for Precision All-Wheel Steering. Basically, the rear wheels contribute to steering, counter-steering at low speed to enhance maneuverability, turning with the fronts at high speeds for increased stability. Honda has tried this before, with disappointing sales results. This time around the take rate will be better, since the feature is standard equipment, rather than an option.

Styling has rarely been a strong suit at either Honda or Acura, and the RLX is consistent with corporate design caution. Aside from a phalanx of LED headlights, lending a bit of sci-fi mystique to the front end, the new sedan is unlikely to attract more than a casual glance as it glides along in traffic. The grille, with its slightly beaky center element, is recognizable as Acura emblematic, but beyond that and the LEDs the design is bland and breaks no new ground. The same could perhaps be said of the German troika that dominates the class, but if the Teutons are familiar from 1 generation to the next, that familiarity includes a big helping of prestige.

Model Lineup

Acura RLX ($48,450) is offered in 1 model augmented by 4 option packages. RLX comes standard with leather trim and automatic climate control.

Walkaround

Acura RLX is bigger than the old RL. It's longer than the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, BMW 5 Series and Audi A6, and it's wider than all but the E-Class. The Acura rides on a slightly shorter wheelbase, however.

The Acura engineering team cites gains in body shell rigidity, thanks to extensive use of hot stamped high strength steel in selected areas, and in the finished product conveys a sense of praiseworthy solidity.

An aluminum hood, doors and decklid save about 76 pounds in the body-in-white. However, with curb weights that range from 3933 to almost 4000 pounds, the RLX is generally heavier than the 3 German sedans.

The 2014 RLX sports a new double wishbone suspension system up front, and a new multilink arrangement at the rear designed, of course, to accommodate P-AWS.

There's also a new capless fueling system, a la the technique pioneered by Ford. When it functions properly (i.e., no leakage), as was the case on our test car, this feature eliminates the ugly sight of a forgotten fuel cap flapping in the breeze, eventually to detach itself entirely. It's easy to use: Open fuel door, insert fuel filler, close fuel door. If you forget the latter step, the system won't mind and won't dribble.

With its longer wheelbase and fractional reduction in overall length, the proportions of the RLX have an athletic look, and the jewel-eye LEDs lend a bit of distinction to the front end as well as a lot of lumens to navigating dark country byways. But in the main, the RLX follows the Honda/Acura design philosophy of timeless styling, a conservative look, low on flash, but long on staying power.

Interior Features

As you'd expect of a car in this price category, the Acura RLX is handsomely appointed within, with soft touch surfaces everywhere, first rate materials, and lots of space. In fact, Acura claims best-in-class rear-seat legroom, and it would take someone of NBA stature to scrape his head against the roof.

As you'd also expect, there's gizmology and connectivity galore, with an available 8-inch navigation screen stacked atop a 7-inch touch-screen controlling all sorts of infotainment choices. Although the nav system won't allow any manual adjustments or selections when the car is moving, not uncommon in the golden age of product liability, and the voice command element requires what amounts to an irritating and lengthy discussion to achieve results, Honda/Acura navigation technology is still near the top of the charts in terms of accuracy. Also, its real-time traffic info includes conditions on surface streets, which can be very helpful when the driver is pressed for time.

The expanded gizmology inventory extends to safety features, and here too Acura follows the industry trend toward more and more nannyesque driver aids. For example, the optional Lane Keeping Assist helps inattentive drivers stay between the lines. The optional adaptive cruise control system now includes a low-speed follow feature, which commuters may find helpful. Similarly, the Forward Collision Warning system may help inattentive drivers avoid whacking the car just ahead, although its panicky alerts and flashing lights are irritating to those trying to dissect traffic on their morning commute.

Many of the RLX's electronic safety aids are optional, but with or without them the car's excellent structure are expected to continue the Honda/Acura tradition of top ratings from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the influential Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Driving Impressions

As a driving experience, the Acura RLX skews heavily toward comfort and unobtrusive motoring. The cabin is extraordinarily quiet (think 2 a.m. in St. Paul's Cathedral), something that's been a strong suit for Acura's premier sedan ever since the original Acura Legend. Ride quality is creamy; it takes some very gnarly pavement to even remotely disturb occupants, and in general the going is about as serene as it gets in this market segment.

Power is respectable, although the 6-speed automatic seems a little dated in a class where 7- and 8-speed transmissions are becoming increasingly common. The new aluminum 3.5-liter SOHC V6 with 4 valves per cylinder, variable valve timing, and direct fuel injection is rated at 310 horsepower, 272 pound-feet of torque. Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 20/31 mpg City/Highway.

Like almost all new cars today, the RLX is equipped with an electric power steering system, 1 of many measures the industry has adopted in the quest for improved fuel economy. At just 2.6 turns lock-to-lock, it's quick, but it's also vague, a trait common to many systems of this type; the driver doesn't have an accurate sense of where the front wheels are pointed. Like all idiosyncrasies of a particular car, this is something an owner gets used to in short order, but it's not a trait shared by the Germanic pacesetters in this class.

Acura touts the new PAW-S system (Precision All-Wheel Steering) as cutting-edge technology, and the implication is that having the rear wheels participate in the steering puts the front-wheel-drive RLX on a more or less equal footing with the rear-wheel-drive German competition. Our impressions fall short of parity with rear- and all-wheel drive cars. The system undoubtedly makes the RLX a little handier around town and does lend a bit of confidence at higher speeds on back roads, but the speeds have to be distinctly higher for this to be tangible and it's unlikely owners will be exercising their cars in this manner. The RLX is exceptionally comfortable, but it's not the kind of car that invites back road barnstorming.

Summary

The all-new 2014 Acura RLX is unquestionably luxurious, with an exceptionally high index of quality and quiet, competent comfort. Its value proposition is a little hard to endorse: a front-wheel-drive sedan such as the new Kia Cadenza delivers similar cosseting and better dynamics for considerably less money, and a V8-propelled rear-drive Genesis sedan undercuts even a base RLX. If relaxed dynamics, posh interior appointments, serene motoring, and good fuel economy expectations are the priority, the RLX merits a place in the luxury sedan sunshine.

Tony Swan filed this NewCarTestDrive.com report from Detroit after his test drive of the Acura RLX.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Ttac

Old 08-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
TTAC's review is one of the more thorough for the RLX I've seen. It's a pretty good review other than they indicate the pricing is too high....compared to the Volvo S80 and Cadi CTS? I disagree a bit as the primary competition for this car is the Cadi XTS and, maybe, the Mercedes E class and BMW 5 class. When compared to those, the RLX is priced comparably/less expensively. However, the reviewer's comments on pricing echo those mentioned by our forum members......a majority of whom are or were RL owners.

I particularly liked the review of the dual screen input system. Very thorough, and very positive. I wasn't aware that the TTAC guys had difficulty with Cadillac's CUE and Ford/Lincoln's MyFord systems crashing. That would upset me greatly.

I keep hearing about the suspension. Maybe Acura will change the suspension a bit for the next model year, similar to what Hyundai did for the Genesis after bad first-year reviews and complaints from owners?
Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think the guy mentioned the XTS at the end, but maybe I misheard.

Regardless, it looks like Acura needs to either reduce the MSRP of the RLX or hurry up with the SH-AWD. Meanwhile, that new MDX is growing on me...

Originally Posted by neuronbob
TTAC's review is one of the more thorough for the RLX I've seen. It's a pretty good review other than they indicate the pricing is too high....compared to the Volvo S80 and Cadi CTS? I disagree a bit as the primary competition for this car is the Cadi XTS and, maybe, the Mercedes E class and BMW 5 class. When compared to those, the RLX is priced comparably/less expensively. However, the reviewer's comments on pricing echo those mentioned by our forum members......a majority of whom are or were RL owners.

I particularly liked the review of the dual screen input system. Very thorough, and very positive. I wasn't aware that the TTAC guys had difficulty with Cadillac's CUE and Ford/Lincoln's MyFord systems crashing. That would upset me greatly.

I keep hearing about the suspension. Maybe Acura will change the suspension a bit for the next model year, similar to what Hyundai did for the Genesis after bad first-year reviews and complaints from owners?

Quick Reply: Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)