Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
First, I'm up in Canada, so the pricing/models are different here. Second, I can't ask him about the Equus unless I'm serious about buying one (which I am not at this time) because I'll feel like crap around him if/when I buy an RLX in the future after inquiring about the Equus. He knows I'm an Acura guy, so we don't discuss new cars much. Finally, there is still snow on the ground here and so I won't be golfing anytime soon. I'm assuming that you are just curious as to the real "dealer cost" of an Equus for future purchases, but I'm sorry I can't help you out.
Apologies to the mods for being so off topic.
oh no, I was not fishing for a price, I was trying to help you out. I'll stop that now.
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Limited allocation and limited inventory are very good ways widely employed by auto makers to hype up the desirability of their new-from-the-ground-up automobiles at initial launch and the immediate following months.
Yes, but to these automakers also have systems in place to handle one customer-one order? The RLX is the first Acura that we can hold a lease rate and residual till the car arrives (roughly 3 months). This may change things some vs. the "I can't tell you what the payment will be when the car arrives" business model we've had to use in the past. Hopefully it will work out better.

Oh, while you're here, I have once asked a question in the "TLX awd $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$", but you forgot to read and answer it.
Forgot? Maybe I just missed it? Sheesh.

Using your expertise knowledge in selling cars, do you think customers' perception to the Acura brand will differ now, such that Acura is able to sell the $50-$65K RLX this time around, when the $50+K RL has failed miserably ?
I'm not an expert. I do sometimes have insight which is why I assume you're asking the question. 1) I don't believe the $50K RL failed 'miserably' in it's first 5 years which would have been a 'normal' production run. However, like all long lifespan cars like the NSX, S2000 and RL, sales dropped dramatically as they aged. The eroding yen was a further disincentive to update the car to 'try' to keep it fresh in years 6-8.

2) Will this do better at a higher price point? Hard to say, but I'm guessing that due to inflation, the current prices aren't that much more in 'real' dollars. Also, comparably equipped, the competition also costs more so the ratio vs. competition remains similar.

3) A successful MDX launch coupled with the NSX next year should help things by giving the RLX some company in the $50-60K+ range. This should give the TLX a wide berth to regain it's foothold as the top (selling) Acura sedan. IMO, this will 'relieve' the pressure from the RLX to be anything more than what it is, a technology showcase and (to a degree) a testbed for future ideas. Sales will hopefully settle into similar numbers as LS, 7 series, if expressed as a percentage of overall brand sales.

Will all this be enough? I still think there are too many trim levels. I also think there is increased competition for the "I don't want the cliche of BMW, Lexus, or MB" crowd. There is still work to be done but I believe that the new TLX is (in an odd way) more important for FWD RLX sales than the Hybrid will be. Hopefully this will arrive in 1st quarter 2014 to flesh out the sedan lineup.

Last edited by Colin; 04-29-2013 at 01:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Colin:
hondamore (04-29-2013), jhr3uva90 (04-29-2013), neuronbob (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
^^^^^

With the forum dominated almost all by auto buyers and thus the demand side, it is particularly helpful to hear comments coming from the supplier's perspective.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb DailyReview

Entry Price: $48,500

Price as tested: $61,345
This week, we're driving the all-new 2014 Acura RLX, currently in the midst of a media advertising blitz in both print and television.

Promoting luxury to a new level, 4-wheel steer and beautiful jeweled headlamps in its advertising, RLX is Acura's 1st major "RL" renovation in many years. Albeit slow to react with this much needed update, RLX receives an upfront Test Drive "pat on the back."

Replacing the 5 passenger mid-size RL sedan, RLX starts at just $48,450 and then escalates through several models to arrive at the top line Advance, which is our test this week. Advance lists for $60,450 and comes fully loaded with the Acura amenities consumers have come to love.

A most important mechanical advancement is better fuel economy with way more power from a smaller engine. This enhancement comes from Acura's premium fuel, 3.5-liter 310 horsepower V6 mated to a 6 speed automatic. The results are 20 city and 31 highway, excellent numbers considering the 310 horses and RLX's size and weight. In comparison, few competitors come close to delivering numbers like this, unless of Hybrid design.

RLX's wheelbase is 2-inches longer while width increases 1.7-inches wider. This results in more room for passengers, especially those in the back seat. However, thanks to engineers tackling both front and rear overhangs, the new RLX is about the same size as the RL it replaces.

Advance models feature many standard items which cost more in the lower classes. They include rearview safety camera, Krell Premium 14 speaker audio system, XM radio, Bluetooth, SMS Text Messaging, Navigation, heated front seats, push button start, tri-zone climate control, leather trim, power rear sunshade, power moonroof and more than 25 other features. There are 2 interior digital screens with a "mouse like" controller for navigation and stereo, which takes some time getting used to.

Acura's Advance model comes with an impressive high-tech package as standard fare. Included are Lane Keep Assist, which literally drives the car back on the road if swaying; Adaptive Cruise Control with low speed follow; Collision Mitigation Braking (helps prevent a rear end collision and even stops the RLX completely), rear heated seats, parking sensors and auto dim side mirrors.

Additionally, all RLX models come with standard safety items like 4-wheel dynamic control ABS disc brakes, forward collision warning sensor, all expected airbags (including driver knee), electronic brake distribution, vehicle stability and a lane departure warning, all of which enhance passenger safety and overall roadworthiness.

Another achievement is RLX's "rear steer" function, called Precision All Wheel Steer. This system delivers an extraordinary level of handling precision and control, and is the first system that enables the rear wheels to adjust to angles independently of each other. This function works in tandem with the aforementioned stability assist and dynamic braking system.

Outwardly, Acura designers stay conservative with the new RLX theme, and end with an impressive, discreet, luxury motoring contribution. The Jewel Eye headlamps are its most aggressive statement, where 8 LEDs shine through 16 lenses. Each lens pair is precisely aimed to focus the LED beam over a longer and wider surface area, enabling the driver to see clearly without blinding oncoming traffic.

RLX currently comes in front-drive format, but an all-wheel-drive RLX Hybrid boasting a 370-horsepower V6 mated to a 3-motor electric hybrid and a 7-speed automatic will be available later this year. Fuel mileage is expected to be 30 city and 30 highway, and with AWD and 370 ponies under the hood, it may well be the most popular of the breed.

Important numbers include a 112.2-inch wheelbase, 18.5 gallon fuel tank, 3997 lb. curb weight and 14.7 cu. ft. of cargo space.

In summary, Acura's RLX is quiet, comfortable, loaded with luxury and indeed all new. It's a major move forward and will allow Acura to again compete for the top spot in the mid-size, full luxury sedan segment.

An RLX test drive should be in order if shopping this highly competitive market.
Likes: High tech safety, luxury, power, design, fuel mileage.

Dislikes: Digital screens confusing, too many buttons and controls.
(Greg Zyla is a syndicated auto columnist)
Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Another
Old 04-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Safety Car

Post Cnet

The good: The 2014 Acura RLX's standard LED headlights throw a bright, well-defined pattern into the night. 4-wheel-steering aids handling and direct injection helps fuel efficiency. Adaptive cruise control leads to effortless highway driving, and the Krell audio system delivers incredible dynamic range.

The bad: A bizarre 2-screen cabin tech interface makes tuning music or placing calls confusing. When the road gets a little rough, the ride becomes very uncomfortable.

The bottom line: The 2014 Acura RLX makes a game attempt at being a high-tech roller, but suffers from flaws serious enough that should send Acura back to the drawing board.
1 of the bigger challenges facing automakers in recent years comes in making usable and safe interfaces for navigation, stereo, and hands-free phone systems. With the 2014 RLX, Acura shows off its latest attempt at tackling the interface challenge, but ends up with a kludgey design that will leave drivers frustrated.

The RLX replaces the company's RL model as its flagship sedan, and incorporates enough changes to warrant a different model name. It successfully ups Acura's luxury quotient through the use of more quality interior materials and new technologies, yet still does not quite feel up to the big luxury of a Mercedes-Benz S-class or Lexus LS 460.

However, it is not as pricey as those models, either, putting in a near-luxury class with new contenders such as the Kia Cadenza.

Per Acura marketing strategy, the RLX does not have factory options so much as different trim levels. This new model can be had in a base trim or with a succession of packages, each adding features to the previous. The 1st upgrade adds navigation and the next brings in various technology features. An amazing Krell audio system comes in at the next level, and the top package, the car I reviewed, adds advanced driver assistance features.

An interface too far?
The RLX sets itself up as the most technologically advanced Acura yet with a direct-injection 3.5-liter V-6 engine and standard LED headlights; that latter feature is found in very few other cars. The headlights, trademarked by Acura as Jewel Eyes, not only use less energy and last longer than standard lamps, but they also throw a more well-defined pattern, with sharper edges and less bleed-over.

And while it's good to see new developments from Acura, which had grown stale in the technology department in recent years, its new cabin electronics interface is a mess. The RLX features a 7-inch touch screen above the console, within easy reach of the driver. Higher up and inset into the dashboard sits an 8-inch LCD. Below the touch screen Acura includes a big jog dial and buttons that control content on the upper LCD.

The upper LCD shows this music library interface for an iOS device, with music browsable by artist, album, and genre.
(Credit: Josh Miller/CNET)

The upper LCD shows the navigation system along with some music and phone functions, while the touch screen shows phone and stereo controls in a different format, but no navigation. Follow me so far?

Now here is where things really get messy. With a USB drive or iOS device plugged into the RLX's USB port, I could browse music sequentially by album or track on the touch screen, but I had to use the jog dial and refer to the upper LCD to browse the music library by artist, album, and genre, or file and folder when using a USB drive as my source.

On the touch screen, I was able to find a phone screen with a keypad and speed dial numbers. The upper LCD defaulted to a screen showing recent calls and the speed dial numbers. Pushing the Menu button, I was finally able to find my phone's contact list on the upper LCD, along with a keypad.

On the lower touch-screen music interface, you can only choose music by sequentially moving through albums or tracks.
Between the 2 screens there is some duplication and some separation of controls, none of which makes any sense at all.

On the lowest-trim RLX without navigation, I imagine this interface becomes slightly simpler. However, as Acura's flagship model, the company should have just made navigation standard on the RLX. Given that automakers tend to replicate their newest cabin electronics across their lineups, expect to see this flawed system end up in more Acura models before someone has the sense to fix it.

1 saving grace is that the touch screen and upper LCD both react quickly to inputs.

I found I could avoid much of the interface mess by using the RLX's voice command system, which let me enter destinations, initiate phone calls by a contact name, and even request music from an iOS device by saying an album or artist name. While fairly comprehensive, the voice command system still made me enter addresses 1 part at a time, as opposed to how slicker systems accept an entire spoken address string.

Connected nav, mind-blowing sound
The RLX shows an improvement in Acura's navigation system, adding perspective view to the existing plan view maps. The maps themselves look more refined than on previous Acura systems, with easily read street labels. The system uses traffic data to dynamically adjust routes so as to avoid traffic jams. It also read out street names for upcoming turns and showed useful graphics with lane guidance for freeway junctions.

Acura also offers many options for entering destinations, including search on a points-of-interest database and an online search option. 1 of my favorite features, a carryover from earlier Acura models, is a database of scenic drives for just about every 1 of the United States.

An intriguing means of finding restaurants or hotels is through the new AcuraLink Streams app, an Acura-branded app with Aha Radio services. Running the app on a smartphone, I could choose the Aha audio source then choose stations listing restaurants or hotels. Aha found the nearest matching locations, showing them and reading the names of each out loud. I was able to choose the Navigate button on the upper LCD and have the location fed to the navigation system.

AcuraLink uses the Aha Radio service through your smartphone to find nearby hotels, and the RLX makes it a 1-touch process to load the address into navigation.
(Credit: Wayne Cunningham/CNET)

The real sweet spot in the cabin electronics is the Krell audio system. Krell has been building audiophile-ranked stereo equipment for a little over 30 years, and the RLX benefits greatly from its work.

The system uses 14 speakers, the woofers of which are covered with tasteful aluminum grilles, that deliver about the best dynamic range I have ever heard in a car stereo. Mostly listening to lossless digital recordings on an iPhone, the Krell system gave voice to the entire frequency range of each track. Bass notes dropped with a power that hit my entire body, while vocals were pristine and clear, and seemed to put the singer in the car with me on some well-produced tracks.

The higher-pitched notes and instruments invaded the cabin on a shimmering wave. However, at times they sounded shrill, which may have been more to do with the original recording and too-faithful reproduction by the Krell system.

Audio sources abounded in the RLX, although I could only seem to select which 1 I wanted to listen to on the lower touch screen, and not on the upper LCD.

With music on the car's own hard drive or on an iOS device plugged into the USB port, I had full access to music library, with album, artist, and genre categories. Plugging in a simple USB drive, the system only showed me music in a file-and-folder format. Bluetooth audio streaming also works, with its usual limited control capabilities.

The AcuraLink Streams app brings in online radio stations, such as Indie Pop Rocks form SomaFM.
(Credit: Wayne Cunningham/CNET)

Acura offers a couple of online options for music in the RLX, both running from a smartphone app. The car's interface fully integrated with Pandora, letting me select my custom stations and give songs a thumbs-up or thumbs-down using the touch screen. After installing the AcuraLink Streams app on my phone, I had access to the stations in my Aha radio account through the car's interface, which included Slacker.

The RLX also features HD Radio as standard in the stereo.

Active cruise, hyperactive lane warning
The Advance trim level of the car I was testing not only included the delicious Krell stereo, but also a number of driver assistance features, from a blind-spot monitor to adaptive cruise control.

Activating cruise control, I set my speed and following distance then took my foot off the pedals as the RLX used its forward-looking radar to gauge the speed of traffic ahead. The system delivered a somewhat rubber-band-like feeling as it matched the changing speeds of cars ahead. A convenient graphic on the instrument cluster showed me when it had another car in its sights. At 1 point a car ahead on the freeway slowed down abruptly, and the RLX hit its brakes as well to match speeds. But as the other car switched lanes, clearing the way ahead, the RLX took too long to pick up speed back to my preset level, forcing me to get on the gas again before pissing off the traffic that was coming up behind me.

Buttons on the right side of the steering wheel control following distance for adaptive cruise control and activate lane keeping assistance.

The lane departure warning system beeped excitedly whenever I was about to cross a lane line without signaling, also showing a graphic on the cluster indicating which side I was about to cross. This system can be a little sensitive, so I switched it off when driving down particularly twisty roads.

Front-wheel drive, 4-wheel steering
Acura tunes the electric power steering on the RLX so that it requires little effort to turn the wheel. However, to improve handling Acura makes the rear wheels turn as well. Acura calls this system on the front-wheel-drive RLX Precision All Wheel Steer (PAWS). The rear wheels only turn a few degrees, but it makes a big difference in helping the over 16-foot-long RLX come around a corner.

Working against the RLX is its suspension, which I found very unsatisfying.

The RLX's fixed suspension gave the car a floaty, rubbery ride, not uncommon for a luxury-oriented car. As such, it did not keep the car's body particularly flat when cornering at speed. But it also did not lead to a particularly comfortable ride. I felt like my butt was reading Braille whenever the road was less than smooth, with lots of uncomfortable bumps communicated to the cabin. The wheels, specially engineered for low noise, might have been to blame.

The RLX certainly delivered a quiet ride. Standing outside the car, I could hear the chattering of the 3.5-liter V-6 engine's injectors, but inside the cabin that noise was completely muted.

Acura proves the efficiency of direct injection with this engine. It cranks out 310 horsepower and 272 pound-feet of torque, much more than a typical 3.5-liter V-6, yet I saw fuel economy numbers in the mid-20s. Acura's EPA numbers show 20 mpg city and 31 mpg highway.

I have seen equivalent cars without direct injection average below 20 mpg.

The engine did not feel especially powerful when I romped on the gas pedal, but the RLX accelerated smoothly and inexorably. It was fast enough for day-to-day driving, and could get up and go when needed.

Instead of an S position on the gate, the Sport button changes the programming for both transmission and throttle.

A button labeled Sport near the shifter not only sharpened the throttle tuning, but also made the transmission downshift aggressively. I like the 1-touch approach to the Sport mode, as opposed to some cars that require pushing a button or 2 and moving the shift lever to S.

Sport mode also let me put the RLX's transmission into manual mode. In normal driving, hitting 1 of the paddle shifters on the steering wheel let me shift the transmission sequentially, but left alone for a moment, the transmission would go back into automatic. With Sport mode activated, manual shift mode remained engaged after I used the paddle shifters.

Features and flaws
The 2014 Acura RLX feels like a big, roomy car, a definite improvement over the outgoing RL model. It drives easily, but it also features a mix of excellent features and serious flaws, and I am not sure the latter make up for the former.

The LED headlights cut a neat path through the night and the direct-injection engine gives it power and very good fuel economy. The Krell audio system also makes a compelling argument for the car, at least for music lovers.

However, the cabin interface is just so weird, so much a mess of disparate and duplicated functions that I hesitated whenever I wanted to choose music or make a phone call. And whenever the road got rough, the ride quality became abysmal.

Beyond those praises and complaints, the RLX contains many solid features, a good collection of electronics and driving characteristics that help make the car a solid daily driver.

For those considering the RLX, another version coming out later this year may just feature even better handling and fuel economy. Acura will soon launch a hybrid RLX with all-wheel drive. Using an innovative hybrid drive system, this new RLX will not only have the direct-injection 3.5-liter V-6 turning the front wheels, but also gets 2 electric motors at the rear wheels providing power and putting additional torque down at the outside wheel in a turn. Although the hybrid RLX will not have the PAWS 4-wheel-steering system, the torque vectoring might be even better.

Despite the drivetrain changes, Acura is not likely to change the interface for the RLX hybrid, and better fuel economy will not making it any less confusing.
Tech specs
Model 2014 Acura RLX
Trim Advance
Power train Direct injection 3.5-liter V-6, 6-speed automatic transmission
EPA fuel economy 20 mpg city/31 mpg highway
Observed fuel economy 23.9 mpg
Navigation Optional hard-drive-based with traffic data
Bluetooth phone support Standard with contact list integration
Digital audio sources Onboard hard drive, Pandora, Aha Radio, iOS integration, USB drive, Bluetooth audio streaming, auxiliary input, satellite radio, HD Radio
Audio system Krell 14-speaker system
Driver aids Adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, blind-spot monitor, rear-view camera
Base price $48,450
Price as tested $61,345
Old 04-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
kind of a weird review. I'll make up my own mind on the user interface. The navi jog dial interface on RLs was criticized, yet I find it very intuitive, easy, and better than most other systems
Old 04-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The interface is really not that bad, or so I think from my limited time in auto show RLX models.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:58 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
kind of a weird review. I'll make up my own mind on the user interface. The navi jog dial interface on RLs was criticized, yet I find it very intuitive, easy, and better than most other systems
I agree. I thought the navi jog dial in the RL was great.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
So the bottom screen does not control the top screen? You have to use the dial for the top screen? That sounds worse than Lexus' mouse controller.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:38 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ It's not that simple. It does take a while to get familiar with the system but the general idea is that customers would have a full screen for their navigation system without having to worry that auxiliary systems would take over the screen. You can move audio functions (for example) to the top screen and use the interface dial to control it. When this happens, the lower screen dims to shift the focus to the top screen.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
^^ It's not that simple. It does take a while to get familiar with the system but the general idea is that customers would have a full screen for their navigation system without having to worry that auxiliary systems would take over the screen. You can move audio functions (for example) to the top screen and use the interface dial to control it. When this happens, the lower screen dims to shift the focus to the top screen.
Honestly, for me would not be huge, but they should have made the top screen Navi only and maybe info display like for an incoming call, or what track is playing and left all the music and phone controls on the lower screen.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KeithL
Honestly, for me would not be huge, but they should have made the top screen Navi only and maybe info display like for an incoming call, or what track is playing and left all the music and phone controls on the lower screen.
Yes. Also, why is there a screen and a knob?
Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KeithL
That's exactly what it is. The owner has the choice to move audio to the top screen if they choose. At that point you have to shift to the interface dial because you can't reach the screen (like currently). But of course the advantage is that it's closer to you 'line of sight' when driving. There are virtually three ways to do everything. Essentially it allows everyone to find a control method they like.

The benefit is that 'if' you are navigating, you can keep it Navi only and still have access to other functions with the lower screen. In all honesty, it could be a little clearer in execution, but IMO, it is a 1.0 product. My 'wish list' would be for a little snappier response and better typography. I don't care for the way that longer titles/menus overflow the bounding 'box' on the screen.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Safety Car

Genesis has an LCD display between speedy and odo that can show gps, music, or whatever else you want.

I think it's a cleaner way of doing it and most people do look at the speedo area once in a while.

Heads Up Display is another way of doing it and hopefully 2014 Genesis gets that.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:15 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I don't think I'd have a problem with the controls but I imagine that it does take getting used to and one test drive is not enough. If this same set up shows up on the TLX I'd be okay with it.

But I do have one gripe about touch screens. I have one in my ancient 1G TSX. While driving and using the touch screen I rest my thumb on the bezel and that steadies my hand so I can accurately hit the right button. Without something to steady your hand you can't hit the right button while the car moves and your arm is not moving in sync. It would have been nice if Acura built a little thumb rest on the bezel for this purpose. It looks like on the RLX there are buttons along the bottom and no place to steady your hand.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 037
Genesis has an LCD display between speedy and odo that can show gps, music, or whatever else you want.

I think it's a cleaner way of doing it and most people do look at the speedo area once in a while.

Heads Up Display is another way of doing it and hopefully 2014 Genesis gets that.
Looks like the 14 Genesis will go the same way the new Kia Cadenza is going, full LCD instrument cluster, makes it very flexible.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Edmunds

2014 Acura RLX Suspension WalkAround
More than a Dressed-Up Accord

2014 Acura RLX front suspension overall.

2014 Acura RLX front suspension upper arm and coil-over.

2014 Acura RLX front suspension overall with dual lower links highlighted.

2014 Acura RLX front suspension dual lower ball joint close-up.

2014 Acura RLX front suspension dual lower ball joint virtual pivot highlight.

2014 Acura RLX front suspension clearance at full steering lock.

2014 Acura RLX front suspension steering rack location.

2014 Acura RLX front suspension arm ratios.

2014 Acura RLX front suspension stabilizer bar link.

2014 Acura RLX front suspension tension rod bushing.

2014 Acura RLX front brake.

2014 Acura RLX front brake.

2014 Acura RLX rear suspension overall.

2014 Acura RLX rear suspension coil-over.

2014 Acura RLX rear suspension upper arms and rear-steer actuator.

2014 Acura RLX rear suspension lower links and rear-steer actuator.

2014 Acura RLX rear suspension rear-steer actuator close-up.

2014 Acura RLX rear suspension overall from directly below.

2014 Acura RLX rear suspension knuckle and stabilizer bar.

2014 Acura RLX rear brake.

2014 Acura RLX tires and wheels.

The following 4 users liked this post by TSX69:
Legend2TL (05-13-2013), noobie (05-05-2013), Rocket_man (05-04-2013), WheelMcCoy (05-05-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Safety Car

and we lost front BBK...I'd like to see the PAWS improved stopping distances now.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
and we lost front BBK...I'd like to see the PAWS improved stopping distances now.
And BBK stands for Black Bentley Korean?
Old 05-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
I think any controls that have to offer all the functions available in the RLX (or any modern luxury car for that matter) will be confusing/intimidating to a person the first time they see it. If you owned an old Motorola flip phone and were given an Iphone 5 for the first time with no manual or instructions (just as car reviewers are given no instructions) , you'd be pretty intimidated and probably wouldn't even know how to answer a phone call at first. With time and instruction, you would realize how intuitive and simple the functions of the Iphone are and you would eventually love it and wonder how you lived without it. I believe the same is true for the RLX media interface - it's different and intimidating for first timers, but eventually with some instruction, with some individualization to your particular needs and preferences and mostly with a little time, you'd learn to really love the technology. Just my guess based on my experience with my RL.

The alternative to the RLX system is to go back to a 100 buttons and knobs for each function and then automotive reviewers would blast that as "a busy, dizzying array of buttons and knobs that requires a PhD to just turn on the radio".

My guess is that if you ask RLX owners after they've had their car for a month, and they will all love the system that reviewers are blasting.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb AutoBytel

Old 05-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Another below par review! What else is new these days?
Old 05-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Yeah, I'll say that if this car could replicate 50% of the sales numbers of the ES, I'd take all the bad reviews they can throw at the car.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by silver3.5
Another below par review! What else is new these days?
Seems like a pretty fair review to me. The Acura RLX is not a BMW 5 series and no Acura ever has been close. So?

I believe that:
1) a year from now you'll probably be able to buy a new RLX for the cost of leasing a new 535 or buying a used 535,
2) the overall cost of ownership for an RLX over a 6-to-9 year period will be substantially less for an RLX than a 535,
3) the consumer tech within the RLX is more advanced than the 535, especially that Aha-based features,
4) the RLX has noticeably more back seat room than the 535.

Those are the kinds of things reviewers don't take into account, which is why one should take reviews with a grain of salt.
The following 2 users liked this post by jhr3uva90:
hondamore (05-04-2013), neuronbob (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Here's another youtube review... but he likes it! The reviewer also notices the lack of torque steer which jibes with Edmund's suspension walk-thru posted above.

Last edited by WheelMcCoy; 05-04-2013 at 07:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WheelMcCoy:
H_CAR (05-04-2013), jhr3uva90 (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
That review was OK. The reviewer is another person who doesn't like the "Power Phlegm" grille. I still don't, either, but feel that the implementation in this car is improved. He needs to move on from that, just as I have.

Looks that don't stand out is hardly a criticism as that's what Acura is aiming for here, apparently. He feels as I do about the interior, stellar. However, his comparison to Volvo's interior is inexplicable. I mean, are Volvo's interiors really that good?

And its competition is the ES? Ouch. Disagree there.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

That review was shot in northern VA near where I used to live! Sometimes I miss the place.

Anyway, if Acura took care of the torque steer problem with the RLX, and the turning radius issue, and the car has good handling prowess, why are people still complaining about FWD?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
That review was OK. The reviewer is another person who doesn't like the "Power Phlegm" grille. I still don't, either, but feel that the implementation in this car is improved. He needs to move on from that, just as I have.

Looks that don't stand out is hardly a criticism as that's what Acura is aiming for here, apparently. He feels as I do about the interior, stellar. However, his comparison to Volvo's interior is inexplicable. I mean, are Volvo's interiors really that good?

I guess the RLX is in competition with the ES in the sense that they are both FWD mid-sized luxury sedans. Maybe it is better to be seen as superior to the ES than inferior to the GS?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

This was a lame review, almost too vague and does not seem to speak from knowledge rather regurgitating complaints he read elsewhere.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:02 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
^^ Yeah, I'll say that if this car could replicate 50% of the sales numbers of the ES, I'd take all the bad reviews they can throw at the car.
The problem is that it's not selling at ES prices.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GoHawks
That's irrelevant. I'm only saying that if it did sell at 50% of ES volume, I don't care what kind of reviews it gets. I'm not trying to make a statement of how well it will actually do.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by WheelMcCoy
Here's another youtube review... but he likes it! The reviewer also notices the lack of torque steer which jibes with Edmund's suspension walk-thru posted above.

2014 Acura RLX Review, Walkaround, Exhaust, & Test Drive - YouTube
Excellent review, but it is safe to say Sofyan (the reviewer) is an Honda/Acura fan. He drives an ILX 2.4.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:50 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob

He also said the competition was Hyundai Azera..... What! I really think the review was not that credible. It was a bunch of disjointed comments. I'm not totally thrilled with the RLX (it is growing on me), but I would take one over on of his benchmark cars, S80, ES or Azera any day.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I've seen that review before, and it comes across as a commerical for Radley Acura here in northern VA. Why would an "objective" review have so many shots of Radley's trim plate?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
Not yet, but wait for the $10K incentives .... Just kidding

As Colin said, I think Acura would be thrilled with 50% of ES sales or sales close to the GS or LS for that matter, regardless of any reviews.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011TL
I've seen that review before, and it comes across as a commerical for Radley Acura here in northern VA. Why would an "objective" review have so many shots of Radley's trim plate?
Sofyan is depending on the kindness of dealerships to get review cars. To make up for any lost objectivity, he did his homework, covering material not in the "Autobytel" review. He cited 2nd gen RL sales, showed the backseat and pass thru, showed but didn't dwell on the grille, pointed out the center armrest opens driver side, and most importantly, took the car out into traffic.

The armrest detail seems trivial, but I didn't like the way it opened. Sometimes, I have a passenger whom I ask to fish stuff out of the bin, and the passenger won't be able to help in this RLX.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by db22
And BBK stands for Black Bentley Korean?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
That's irrelevant. I'm only saying that if it did sell at 50% of ES volume, I don't care what kind of reviews it gets. I'm not trying to make a statement of how well it will actually do.
You seriously wouldn't care what kind of reviews a car you are trying to sell gets? I mean no car is perfect or universally loved, but I would think it would be better if it received at least a better reception than the RLX is getting. I mean, sometimes "where there is smoke there is fire".

In any event, I don't think you will ever be in the position of the RLX selling even half as well as the ES so I guess the point is moot.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
2014 Acura RLX CNET review.

The following 3 users liked this post by H_CAR:
jhr3uva90 (05-07-2013), seanlin (05-06-2013), WheelMcCoy (05-06-2013)

Quick Reply: Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)