2016 Hybrid 81,500 - Rod Knock, New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2024, 12:19 PM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 Hybrid 81,500 - Rod Knock, New Engine

TLDR: Car needs new engine, outside of warranty, Acura Client Relations didn't even offer $1.00 of good will towards the replacement.
I was delaying posting as I was hoping for a happy story.

I have 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid with around 81,500 miles. On July 3rd, I'm on my way home highway, during some slight slow and go highway traffic I noticed that I was hearing knocking sound. At first, I thought it was loud exhaust from the mustang behind me.
Then the mustang exited, but the sound remained.

When I got home, I revved it a bit and thought it was lifter adjustment. Felt like it was early, but I guess I'll go in for timing belt service and also a few other items serviced too.
I checked the oil level and it had the right amount. Oil I use Castrol Synthetic (I've used it for 20 years and always had great luck with it) and change it when the MID suggests it.

Then that evening I begin my research and my stomach sank as I started discovering the TLX/MDX Rod Bearing recalls and how that sound was very similar to the same sound that I had.

July 5th: I drove a different vehicle to my dealer, waited too long for the unbusy service writers to acknowledge I had showed up. Presented my situation, which was rebutted with it must be diagnosed first. I explained that I was just wanted to discuss my options as I felt like I was about to be faced with a very expensive repair bill. The service writer told me to call Acura to open a case. When I confirmed that I need to call, then I asked for the number, and response was, sure let me google that for you.

Called Acura, opened case and was advised to tow the vehicle to the dealership.
Called dealership back and they told me to go ahead and tow the vehicle in. I rode with the tow truck driver, got it all dropped off, then had to take a Lyft back home.

July 9th- Phone call - Yeah, it's a rod knock and it needs a new engine. The reason is that because you didn't change the oil frequently enough. When I questioned how they made that determination, that statement was quickly retracted with well it looked dirty. When I asked what the MID % was at, then couldn't answer that. I spoke with the Tech, and he couldn't answer that either and wasn't really knowledgeable to give an answer on why it failed, just that it had and the oil was dirty.

Thursday 18th (Today) - Finally heard back from Acura Client Relations, good will. They are not covering anything.
When I inquired on why, below are the reasons on how they made this determination:
  • Vehicle bought used
  • Vehicle was bought not certified
  • Vehicle not bought from Acura Dealership
  • Outside Warranty Parameters
    • If this was inside the Warranty Period, then it would need to be determined if this was a Manufacturing Defect
    • When prompted to ask if this was a manufacturing defect, Acura declined to state whether this incident was or was not a warranty defect
    • Rather I must consult the dealership for them to note whether this would be a manufacturing defect
  • Brand Loyalty: I have owned 4 Hondas, but this was not enough loyalty

Now, I'm stuck with I don't know what to do.

Acura dealership wants $8,500 to install a used engine with 45,000 miles.
I talked to a different dealership on trade, they offered me $6,500 ($15,000 - $8,500 to fix).

If I fix it, what guarantees that this won't happen again? What guarantees are there that this won't happen with a different brand?

I feel like the message that they are sending is, don't buy our vehicle, we don't want you to be part of our brand.
I was expecting Acura Client relations to come back offering $2,000, at least it would be something.

I just don't know what to do. Do I spend $8,500 and fix it and still be without a vehicle for a long period of time? I've been following bgoverde's thread on that engine replacement.
Old 07-18-2024, 10:34 PM
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
unless the car got like 10 yrs warranty, it's almost impossible to get it covered. i believe some TLX owners got the same treatment before Acura admitted the recall. Only after the recall the owners may be eligible for reimbursement if they paid the repair out of pocket.
Old 07-19-2024, 11:42 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same issue although it appears not just as simple as replacing the engine. The engine was replaced (twice) and now they are saying the transmission needs replacement as well. Acura Canada hasn't even acknowledged my calls and mine was purchased at an Acura dealership as a certified used vehicle and has been serviced (including oil changes) at an Acura dealership. 68,000 km (42,000 miles)

Good Luck
Old 07-19-2024, 03:37 PM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Originally Posted by bgoverde
I have the same issue although it appears not just as simple as replacing the engine. The engine was replaced (twice) and now they are saying the transmission needs replacement as well. Acura Canada hasn't even acknowledged my calls and mine was purchased at an Acura dealership as a certified used vehicle and has been serviced (including oil changes) at an Acura dealership. 68,000 km (42,000 miles)

Good Luck
I was only able to get an answer from Acura Client by calling them when my agent starts work. Although, I then was given the answer of "We just came to a decision last night, but it was too late to call you" - followed by we are denying you're claim.

I've called 4 different dealerships testing the water on what they would give me for trade. All were right around the $7,000. Their math was $15,000 - engine replacement.

The dealership where my vehicle is at offered me $2,500. I don't even understand how they came up with that number.
The following users liked this post:
kareshi (07-19-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 02:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 186 Posts
Cut your losses, and dump that headache into someone else's hands... move on... and never ever buy Acura again...
Old 07-20-2024, 03:54 PM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Originally Posted by rlx015
Cut your losses, and dump that headache into someone else's hands... move on... and never ever buy Acura again...
I'm 50/50.
Take a $7,000 as trade in or spend $8,500 on used engine replacement - then buy an extended warranty. I'm in a kind of a stuck spot and unsure what I should get as a replacement.
The car should be worth around 18 to 20 on an average day.

Acura client relations has really said that we don't value you as a customer.
I'm not getting another Acura/Honda.

On Monday I'm supposed to get a detailed used engine replacement quote, so I'll see if they come through.
Old 07-21-2024, 06:58 AM
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Just a question, but are you sure you need a new engine (long block)? With a rod bearing failure, the heads "may" be fine (reusable) and you could save some $$$ by getting a new short block assembly (11000-5G0-A11 Genuine Acura Block Assembly, Cylinder (acurapartswarehouse.com). You'll still pay for the labor but at least you would have a new bottom end for the engine. I am still not understanding what is wrong with your transmission, and the need for it to be replaced.
Old 07-21-2024, 07:15 AM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Originally Posted by Krlesch
Just a question, but are you sure you need a new engine (long block)? With a rod bearing failure, the heads "may" be fine (reusable) and you could save some $$$ by getting a new short block assembly (11000-5G0-A11 Genuine Acura Block Assembly, Cylinder (acurapartswarehouse.com). You'll still pay for the labor but at least you would have a new bottom end for the engine. I am still not understanding what is wrong with your transmission, and the need for it to be replaced.
I’m waiting on a detailed quote from the dealership. Unfortunately my service writer appears to be a box of rocks. I don’t think she knows what a short block, long block, head, connecting rod, or what a bearing even looks like.

I would think the labor would be less with engine replacement vs changing the bottom end.

Then now I’m relying on the dealership to be an engine builder and to get that all perfect.

As for the transmission- that’s not my car, but bgoverde car.