Weird crackling noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 07:10 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like speaker crackle

The flap makes the same crackle noise being described as a bad center speaker. I had this noise going 40+ mph
Old 11-22-2019, 10:59 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same issue with my 2019 A-Spec. Amp was replaced and issue is gone.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:09 AM
Advanced

Went to dealer yesterday in Toronto for squeaky brakes and noise from windshield. New pads and rotors aren’t in stock so couldn’t replace brakes but they told me it’s a huge problem with all RDXs.

as for noise from windshield, told they guy about amp issue but of course it wouldn’t make the noise during the test drive

Old 11-23-2019, 07:31 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by konyo1
Went to dealer yesterday in Toronto for squeaky brakes and noise from windshield. New pads and rotors aren’t in stock so couldn’t replace brakes but they told me it’s a huge problem with all RDXs.

as for noise from windshield, told they guy about amp issue but of course it wouldn’t make the noise during the test drive
In my case, the issue progressed as the days went on. I did, however, record the issue just in case it could not be replicated at the dealer. The service department (tech) was aware of the problem (from reading thru the forums and a few customer complaints) and the fact he was able to reproduce the problem made it easier. Bottom line is, the crackling noise (that almost sounds like small peebles hitting the front wind shield is a faulty Amp as others have mentioned).
Old 12-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had my 2020 RDX Advance for just over three months and have experienced this crackling sound a few times. It is from the sound system and usually starts when I'm listening to the FM radio (on an HD station if that matters). It starts as a few pops and over the course of maybe an hour or two (I drive lots of short trips, so this time period is the cumulative time over what could be half a dozen drives), it gets more and more frequent, and the crackling bursts last longer and longer. It usually resolves itself when the whole infotainment system crashes and reboots itself, or I manually reboot it to interrupt what seems to be a progressive cycle of little electronic hiccups interrupting the audio output and generating the crackle. It seems like the system may not have enough operating memory. I also sometimes experience stuttering (little blips of silence) when playing music on Spotify through Apple CarPlay (which is infuriating when you have a favorite song blasting through the otherwise great audio system). All these symptoms became a little less frequent after the most recent update to the infotainment software, but they still happen. It's been annoying but not quite bad enough to take it in just for this issue. I'll report it when I take it in for its first service in another 2-3 months and see what they say.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:49 PM
3rd Gear

Crackling through audio system / speakers when not moving

Dashboard wire harness is defective, had multiple cars with the wire harness causing the radio to have bad static and tune in and out of signal rapidly. Also may drop phone calls during hands free link and have bluetooth issues. Dealer should cover under warranty
The following users liked this post:
kwrdxer (03-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2019, 08:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Timothy Borghgraef
Dashboard wire harness is defective, had multiple cars with the wire harness causing the radio to have bad static and tune in and out of signal rapidly. Also may drop phone calls during hands free link and have bluetooth issues. Dealer should cover under warranty
Thanks for the tip, man! I will suggest that when I take it in for service.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:26 PM
5th Gear

Update...

It has been over a month since they replaced my Amp and the problem went away. Unfortunately, it is back. :-( Taking back into the dealership in Jan for them to try to fix again. Definitely it is tied somehow to acceleration, as that is currently the only time I hear it loudly. I will update once they resolve it again.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:52 AM
1st Gear

Bump... Have had RDX just over a week and the crackling is driving us crazy. No response from our dealer yet.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:01 PM
Cruisin'

Hi, bumping this thread. Started to have this issue too and want to see if anyone has any updates for this issue
Old 03-29-2020, 07:49 AM
Cruisin'

I'm still having the issue, and I just got the maintenance minder for the very first service due. This issue is on my list to address when I take it in. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

crackling

I don't have a fix to the crackling noise but I can tell you that I also had it in my Honda Pilot Elite. What I can tell you about the crackling noise is that initially I assumed the crackling sounds were speaker issues. But in actuality, it was an A/C issue. The dealership thought it may have been an infotainment problem so they switched it out and the car was still making crackling sounds. It wasn't until I figured out that if I switched off the A/C, the crackling sound stopped. Perhaps, you may be having the same issue in the RDX as well. I did not get this problem fixed because I was getting rid of the car anyway.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the same annoying problem on my Advance. “Crackling” noise is the best way to describe it. Intermittent but annoying! It often occurs on acceleration so I think it as something to do with the ANC module. I’ll have Acura service check it out when I’m in for my first service.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:04 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
See TSB 20-031 - Popping/Crackling from the Speakers; Display Blank in the 2019 and 2020 TSB threads.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:05 AM
2nd Gear

Potenially Fixed

Got my RDX serviced yesterday and the service team knew exactly what I was talking about with regards to the crackling sound. They said they would fix it by putting new connectors to the stereo. So far so good and hope this works out and even better it was covered under the warranty.
JB in AZ (08-08-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 02:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
I never had crackling noise, but my system used
to get “comm lost” error and would reboot. Fingers crossed, but I think this TSB fixed it
Old 08-20-2020, 03:56 PM
Advanced

Same with me, but I heard random crackling and then my audio system totally crashed. Then it came back to life after 2 days! Service was not surprised and performed TSB 20-031. Got a loaner, and my car was finished in about seven hours. So far - it’s good. Fingers crossed as well!

Last edited by johndt; 08-20-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:12 PM
5th Gear

Angry

Originally Posted by johndt
Same with me, but I heard random crackling and then my audio system totally crashed. Then it came back to life after 2 days! Service was not surprised and performed TSB 20-031. Got a loaner, and my car was finished in about seven hours. So far - it’s good. Fingers crossed as well!

Hi, I started having the random crackling noise as well. It is definitely coming from the infotainment/radio. Tried many self troubleshooting such as factory reset infotainment, doing the resets from debug menu. Tried with and without AC on. It doesn't happen all the time, but about 95% of the time. Really annoying. I plan on taking my car in soon to have it looked at. Pretty disheartening since my car only has 1700 miles on it and is already having a random issue.
I posted a video of what I'm experiencing. Was yours similar to this?
https://streamable.com/702q8g
Old 08-21-2020, 03:44 PM
Advanced

Exactly. Don’t worry about it, just refer to the TSB I mentioned above. My dealership in NY had done the repair previously, and seemed to know exactly how to repair it once I mentioned the problem. I had several audio and video recordings as well, and didn’t need to show it to them. I brought it in early in the morning, got a loaner RDX, and picked it up at 3 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:04 PM
5th Gear

Ok, awesome! Im taking it in next week
Old 08-26-2020, 06:38 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by johndt
Exactly. Don’t worry about it, just refer to the TSB I mentioned above. My dealership in NY had done the repair previously, and seemed to know exactly how to repair it once I mentioned the problem. I had several audio and video recordings as well, and didn’t need to show it to them. I brought it in early in the morning, got a loaner RDX, and picked it up at 3 PM.
Which dealer on LI? Huntington, Wantagh, Valley Stream? I think I may have gotten this for the first time today. I'd rather take it to a dealership that knows about the problem.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Mobil1 EP 0w-20 is now 20k miles

Nm
Old 12-07-2020, 04:09 PM
5th Gear

An update to my RDX... I had the TSB for the crackling noise done on it a few months ago. All was good till this past weekend, when the Infotainment system screen just stopped showing anything -- except when putting the car in reverse. Took the car to the dealership so they're taking a look at it but doesn't bode well for its reliability. This really sucks.. I only have 4000 miles on my 2020 tech and having these issues still pop up is frustrating.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
It seems to me that the wiring and electronics are a finicky thing on this vehicle. I had some after market puddle lamps (bottom of the front doors) that started to fail. When they did, they produced static on the radio when that particular door was open. They were LED lamps, so I am not sure why they would have had that effect, but if you have made it this far down the thread and recently started getting sporadic crackling, and have after market puddle lamps, pull them out and see if the problem goes away.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

2019 RDX speaker crackling noise

Originally Posted by Faithg
Hello and thank you for responding. I’m still having the difficulties. Acura is going to fly in a specialized engineer. Let’s keep our fingers crossed!!
a service bulletin from acura says the fix is replacing the connectors in the infosystem. It worked for 6 weeks and the noise returned. I am now told the fix is a software download which they claim is coming. It was suggested I disconnect Bluetooth, apple and or Droid apps. Still not the fix. I'm going back to a Lexus.
tsrgoetz (09-12-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Barry Peoples
a service bulletin from acura says the fix is replacing the connectors in the infosystem. It worked for 6 weeks and the noise returned. I am now told the fix is a software download which they claim is coming. It was suggested I disconnect Bluetooth, apple and or Droid apps. Still not the fix. I'm going back to a Lexus.

I am having the same issues. Started in Nov 2020. The did the recall for my car, but not it is back. No answers from the dealership. Seem to be getting the run around.
Old 03-29-2022, 03:29 PM
2nd Gear

Exactly the same symptom as may rdx, I saw the bulleting of the wires, one of this days I am going to open that console, the dealer doesn't want to grant de bulleting even that it has the noise, they say a code has to appear on there scanner and it doesn't.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:06 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Kaze
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and is having an issue with my new RDX (weird crackling noise from center speaker area). For the last few days, dealership has been trying to pinpoint where that noise is coming from, I called them for an update earlier today and they still have no clue what is causing the noise. They took apart the center speaker and panels but apparently the noise is still there, any advice or insight will be greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fYdvB_S7Pc

-I moved my phone midway through the video as I was trying to record the crackling noise better.
- RDX is only a month old and I first started noticing the noise two weeks ago.

Thank you.
Did it always happen while driving on bumps?
Old 12-28-2022, 05:32 PM
3rd Gear

Crackling Noise Solved in my 2022 RDX

I had a similar problem described by other owners. The noise seemed to becoming from the center speaker on the dash. I thought the issues was as described in a letter I received from Acura extending my warranty for "MOST Bus Network Connections" which describes the cracking sound.
I took the car to Herb Connolly Acura in the Boston Area. I took a drive with the tech who heard the crackling and said he would take the dash apart and trouble shoot one speaker at a time. The next morning the tech asked another mechanic to come along for a drive. The other mechanic said he knew exactly where the crackling was coming from.
The root of the problem is quite unbelievable. You know those seeds that fall off trees and look like helicopter wings as they fall to the ground. Well some of these small seeds had been caught where the windshield wiper, the metal part of the wiper, is attached to the car. See picture. I hope this helps some of you having this problem.