Sticky brake pedal ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 04:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Sticky brake pedal ?!?

Hello all, I have less then 1000km on my RDX 2019 and found already a problem.
My brake pedal is slow to return to it's position. I mean when I depress the brake pedal and then I release it there is a delay of about 1 sec before I heard a ''tock'' of a normal pedal return. there is not causing any problem when I drive but this delay ''tock'' sound drive me crazy !!..

does anyone have the same problem ?.

Brake video
Old 01-17-2019, 04:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
take it in.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:51 PM
Cruisin'

Well, I've took to the dealer for other stuff and I let the technical guy drive my car and he say that he did not replicate the problem.
I return back to home and problem come back. it's frustrating when you need to proof a problem to someone that does not believe you.

after a couple more test I clearly feal that the pedal return back slowly. I will try to record with my phone the pedal mechanism.
is there anybody else having the same issue ? I'll try to get a better video to show the motion of the pedal when I release it
Old 01-21-2019, 05:27 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Since you live in Quebec, it might be possibly related to the cold temperatures.
Perhaps some grease that gets really viscous in the cold weather. Since you said the problem doesn't occur when the tech drives your car, does the problem go away for you as well when the interior is warmed up?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:45 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
Since you live in Quebec, it might be possibly related to the cold temperatures.
Perhaps some grease that gets really viscous in the cold weather. Since you said the problem doesn't occur when the tech drives your car, does the problem go away for you as well when the interior is warmed up?
I still have the problem even with the interior warmed up. I will try to place my phone under the brake pedal and then record the motion of the brake piston.
My dealer is at 1h of car so hard to just stop and ask them to test road this. so If I can proof what I try to explain it will be hard to tell me '' we did not see anything ''

the best thing I can give as an exemple of what I have is; a kitchen cabinet door damper. the little part that slow down the door to make it close slowly. when you manually push it with you finger it take time to come back. well it exactly the same thing but i hear a 'tock' sound when piston return to it normal position.

I understand that this could happen with a very cold temperature outside, but genrally after few stop brake, it return to normal. but since day 2 of my ownership of this car, I have this doing randomly and even everytime when I press the brake pedal.

for sure, I will gather all the video that show what happening and my next dealer schedule I will request them to test drive car as longer they want to find and fix the problem. it's not normal that a car with 1000km and 50k$ have a crapy brake pedal.
pretty sure that there is a seal in the master brake cylinder that is to tight or maybe the shaft it bent a little make it difficult to return back

well for sure I think i'm the only one here that have this problem. I will then update as soon as I have new info on that.

Thanks

Last edited by BiOs2k; 01-22-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've noticed the same or similar issue in my first few weeks. It sounds like the brake kind of pops back up the last half inch or so when you release quickly. It hasn't bothered me too much so far but I've noticed it. Let me know if they say anything at the dealership about it.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:57 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My RDX is just a week old and I noticed today that the brake pedal make a clicking noise after releasing it. However once the car warmed up it went away. I will continue to monitor it and take to the dealer if continues.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:06 PM
Cruisin'

I did notice then when I activate the Brake hold button and I'm stop to a light, when I engage the acceleration I notice that brake pedal popup sound 1-2 second after the car is engaged. same thing when I normally drive and brake is cold
I will try to test if I can replicate couple time even in hot outside temperature
But dealer was not cooperative on that situation, when it's warm outside brake pedal respond as normal, when it's cold and very cold, pedal is slow to come back to it's normal state.

Sadly the winter here is ending soon and very cold temperature will be less frequent so maybe I will need to wait until next winter. but for sure if it's still present next winter I will request to let my car to the dealer and have a loaner during the time they find and fix this annoying issue. unless I drive another RDX with the same situation.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:02 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have exact same issue, especially after washing my car. I live in QC. After a day, it’s back to normal.