Rear hatch activating unexpectedly.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Rear hatch activating unexpectedly.

I posted before about my hatch unexpected closing on top of me. It also closed and hit my wife in the head while she was trying to load groceries. Her feet were not under the bumper. Here's a video of the
in our garage. Luckily my wife had parked far enough inside so the hatch didn't hit the inside of the garage door. I recreated exactly what she did in the video. Her key fob is in her purse. Mine is in the house. After it happened to her, I walked behind the door with MY key in my hand. It did the same thing. After the car was parked for a while it stopped doing it.

Acura is not interested in seeing the video. The regional Acura representative (a rude person to deal with) implied that I "faked" the video. I then made another one with my key on the floor. The stealership is not interested in investigating or solving intermittent problems. This is FYI for anyone who might be experiencing similar problems. As a side note, I have yet to get the hatch to reverse itself when closing. When I reach out and pull up on the door, it pulls out of my hand and closes.

Sorry for the rant everyone. We love the way the car drives. However, I would think Acura would be more proactive when they are chasing the Audi/MBZ market.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:53 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Have you tried disabling the hands-free-access in the settings?

I'm suggesting this as a diagnostic strategy, and also to possibly mitigate the hazard until ( if ) it can be made to function properly.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:06 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Thank you for your suggestion. I'm not sure why the hatch would open by simply walking past it. I initially thought that the signal from the key fob could be bouncing off of the inside of the garage door. However, when I walked past with my key fob at just above waist level, I carried the key closest to the hatch. Moreover, when the door closed and hit my wife in the head and closed again after she reopened it, her feet were no where near the underside of the rear bumper and she was in a parking lot. It's Acura's contention that we are tripping the hands free system. They don't seem interested in the video. As a American Honda car owner what in the hell are we supposed to do with an intermittent problem?

My granddaughter has 2 intermittent issues with her 2016 Civic (i.e. radio suddenly squealing and TPMS falsely activating). Apparently she is out of luck too

Th\is car is a very expensive disappointment as is American Honda Corp.

Last edited by Havasubum; 10-08-2018 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Have you tried disabling the hands-free-access in the settings?....
Originally Posted by Havasubum
Thank you for your suggestion. I'm not sure why the hatch would open by simply walking past it.....
I makes sense to me as the problem could be as simple as a misaligned or faulty 'kick sensor' that's picking up motion just behind the bumper versus under it as intended. Definitely something I would do and then see if I could then replicate the symptoms. If nothing else it would eliminate one area as being the cause.