Read This BEFORE You Buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Angry Read This BEFORE You Buy

These are the problems I have had or am having with my Gen 3 RDX Advance. I'm posting the consolidated list to make it easier to review. The Acura regional manager has told the dealer he will not meet with me or other customers and our only recourse is to work with the dealer to resolve service issues or call the Acura 800 number for any other complaints. I have called the 800 number multiple times and the person assigned to my case never calls back as promised. I'm still trying to reach him but only get his voice mail. Be forewarned.

Existing problems and concerns:

1. The left encoder “wheel” on the steering wheel does not tab the audio source when

pushed to the right or left unless the car ignition is on. It doesn’t work in accessory

mode or when the audio system is playing for the 30 minutes after the engine is

stopped.

2. It was very difficult to set my home address in the navigation system. If I enter my

address the system responds with a message that the address cannot be found. If I go

to “explore” mode and drop a pin on my address it correctly identifies the street address

and I can add it to favorites. I can then set the destination to the stored favorite address

but there is no way to make it my home address. I ultimately was able to set it by first

downloading the favorite with AcuraLink.

3. The “back” button above the main track pad doesn’t function properly after selecting

a song to play from the usb thumb drive. If I search for a folder and pick a song within

the folder then there is no way to return to selecting a different folder by using the “back”

button. Instead it returns to the home screen and you must click through a number of

screens to get back to the ability to search for a different folder and song.

4. The audio system doesn’t properly read the usb music folders. It reports 2X the

correct number of songs within a sub folder. For example, I search for a specific folder

titled “Elton John” and select an album within that folder. The display reports that there

are 20 songs in the album however there are only 11. When the display is scrolled it

does correctly display the 11 songs so just the count was wrong. In other cases an

album that has 25 or so songs will only display and allow selection of a lesser number.

When viewing the usb file structure on an iMac the “songs” are clearly there and can be

played on the iMac. All my music was ripped from original CD’s to mp3 format using the

iTunes encoder.

5. The audio codec doesn’t read Apple lossless encoded (.m4a) files. This format is the

typical lossless encoder that Apple iTunes uses to rip CD’s. I ripped my thousands of

music files with .m4a lossless encoding as I suspect many Apple users have done. I

had to rip my library again to get to a format that the car’s codec can read. This was a

time consuming process!!

6. The information displayed in the center of the dash reverts to trip computers after the

car is restarted. The display should “remember” and recall the prefered last setting.

Each time I start the car I have to select the mode I want to view, very annoying.

7. The compass mode in the center of the dash is not intuitive. Just having a red arrow

on the compass dial that signifies north and rotates with the dial is confusing. A better

alternative would be to have a fixed dial with N,S,E,W labels and a vehicle logo in the

center that rotates to show the vehicle direction.

8. The driver seat movement for ease of entry/exit is very slight. There is a lot more

movement possible for smaller drivers and it requires manual adjustment to get to a

position that is optimized for entry/exit.

9. The instrument panel lights did not come on! This happened only once at dusk with

the sun setting behind the vehicle. It was still daylight and nothing I did with the light

control “stick” or with the brightness control buttons brought them back. Only shutting

off and re-starting the vehicle got them to come back on.

10. The audio volume control at low levels has adjustment steps that are too coarse.

Moving it down one step makes it too low and up one step makes it too loud. Many

audio controls have a finer adjustment at lower volume levels to get around this issue.

It would be good if a software update could increase the resolution of the volume

controls at low volume levels.

11. The AM radio locks up. After restarting the vehicle it says “loading” but doesn’t

come on. Must go to home and pick another source like “SiriusXM” and then pick “AM”

to get it to play.

12. It takes way to long to load USB music files. I have only 8GB of music on my USB

drive and it takes minutes to start. This would be solved if there were enough internal

memory (suggest 64GB) for the music files which would also free up the single active

USB port in the console so I could connect my phone for Apple Car Play while playing

the stored music files.

13. The HUD blacks out on a warm day when parked with the front window facing the

sun because it overheats. When this happens the left encoder wheel is also not

functional.

14. The “AUTO” mode of the climate control system is ALWAYS in recirculate mode

even after the desired temperature is reached on a cool day. Not having fresh air is

unhealthy. Manually pressing the “recirculate” button to get fresh air turns off the

“AUTO” indicator in the display.

15. When restarting the car after playing USB music files there are unreliable results.

These conditions seem random: shows some folders are empty when they are not, will

not start playing the song that was last played when the car shut off, will get locked

onto an album or song and will not allow you to select anything else, will start playing

the first song on the USB stick even though it was not played or selected, will not load at

all. Only removing the memory stick, selecting another source and then reinserting it

will clear some of these conditions when they exist. I have tried several memory sticks

from major manufacturers without any difference.

16. The sensitivity of the foot activated auto tailgate lift is greatly reduced after

installation of a trailer hitch. It now requires you to be in exactly the right position with a

precise foot motion to get it to work.

17. The tailgate closes with a loud annoying “thunk”.

18. The Acura OEM sunscreen for the 2019 RDX does not fit very well. You have to

jamb it in at the lower edge of the window, it is slightly too wide at the bottom and

slightly too narrow at the top.

19. The paint (White Pearl) seems very susceptible to stone chips. Within the first two

weeks of driving a tiny pencil point size chip appeared on the hood. I never heard any

impact but it is down to the metal. The paint is VERY thin and I suspect that this is

going to be a problem.

Nov 9, 2018 New Updates to Existing Problems and Concerns (About 5,000 miles):

#6. Update: The info display mode legend continues to display after selecting the view

mode. It should go away once the mode is being displayed. This is most annoying

when you have to look at the word “Minimal” when all you want is a blank uncluttered

display.

#9. Update: The instrument panel regularly blacks out and is unreadable when the sun

is low on the horizon. In this condition the display brightness buttons do not function.

#14. Update: When the weather cooled to about 68 degrees F or less the recirculate

functions as it should in “auto” mode. As soon as the outside temperature is 70 F or

more the recirculate light never goes out so no fresh air enters the cabin.

#17. Update: The tailgate has developed a “moan” at the full open position in warm

weather. Seems to go away on cool and cold days.

20. Discovered that the steering wheel heater was non-functional on the first cold day

that it was tried. Returned to the dealer twice. The steering wheel and wiring harness

had to be replaced.

21. AcuraLink is unreliable 20% of the time. Also discovered that it will allow the car to

be remotely locked with the key inside without any kind of warning. This could

unintentionally strand you if the AcuraLink doesn’t work when you need to unlock the

car. There should be a warning that requests you to confirm that you are locking the car

with a key inside. Also “Manage Subscription” doesn’t work. Message is “ERROR

There was an error processing your request. Please try later.” This message is from

URL: “prod.esp.telematics.net" and I have be unable to purchase an extension for

remote start after multiple attempts. I always get this error message.

22. ACC, Collision Mitigation Braking, Road Departure and three “idiot” warning lights

came on concurrent with our first minor snowfall (less that 1/4”). Cleared the minimal

slush build up from the front “A” symbol and this cleared the fault. Parked the car and

resumed my travel 2 hours later without any build up and just a light rain. Within 5 miles

all warnings came back on with an additional message to “See your dealer”. Parked car

in garage overnight, completely wiped the whole vehicle down but the warnings

persisted even after driving around the block. When driving to the dealer the warnings

suddenly cleared about 5 miles into the trip.

23. Is active suspension working? While there is a distinct difference between comfort

and Sport+ mode with regard to shift points I cannot perceive a difference in the

suspension characteristics.

Suggestions for next model release:

1. There should be a second USB port within the console. Ideally it would be an active

interface to the vehicle but if this proves to be too complex just an additional charge port

would be helpful. When the one existing port is in use with a thumb drive containing

music files there is presently no way to keep the phone charged while also within easy

reach in the console slot without “snaking” a cable from one of the usb charging ports

that are outside of the console. This is a messy looking way to keep the phone

charged. As an alternative, a second charge port could be positioned near the existing

one by the console tray and a cable “pass through” opening added to the console that

would allow a cable to get to the phone without routing it around the outside of the

console. In any case there needs to be two charge ports up front in addition to the USB

data port so that the driver and passenger can simultaneously keep their phones

charged. All USB data ports should be USB3 compliant.

2. The location of the controls for adjusting the seat make them difficult to access.

There is not enough room between the seat and the door. In some cases my watch has

been “stripped” from my wrist when reaching them, especially the control for the lumbar

and side support. It would be much appreciated if the lumbar and side support control

were also stored in memory and automatically adjusted based on the driver key fob.

Alternatively it would be great if they were adjustable on the door panel or even via

software on the main screen.

3. The Continental Cross Contact Sport tires that come as OEM equipment do not have

a tread wear warranty and many consumer reviews state they have a short life. They

will probably not last the 45,000 miles of my lease and this will be a substantial

replacement expense. The Continental Cross Contact L20 tires would offer superior life

and I would have appreciated the option to upgrade to them. The L20 tires also

generate less road noise.

4. Add internal memory for music storage, 64GB minimum, which would free up the one

existing USB data port for attachment of a smart phone while playing stored music files.

5. Don’t use any “egg crate” pattern” on rear plastic. It may look good in the showroom

but it collects dirt and is difficult to keep clean. A smooth surface is better.

6. Add clip or something to eliminate rear seatbelt flutter when driving with the windows

open.

7. Add electronic steering wheel adjustment that syncs to preferences stored for

“driver1” and “driver2” and moves out of the way for entry and exit.

8. Add auto close for all windows and sunroof when holding key fob lock button after a

second press. (similar to the auto open function we now have).

9. A faster transition between drive and reverse. The perceived delay is somewhat

annoying when parallel parking.

10. A comfort mode with a softer suspension. There doesn’t seem to be much of a

difference in the ride between comfort and sport.

11. How about a turbo 6 option under the hood.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Wow. I only got halfway through your list but I'm surprised to see that many issues. Sorry to hear. I have a 4G TL and have had some hiccups but nothing like that. I hope you get the issues resolved.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:00 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
What were you driving prior to the RDX? Did it meet all of your criteria?
Old 11-14-2018, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JustMe...
What were you driving prior to the RDX? Did it meet all of your criteria?
My last vehicle was a 2008 Toyota Highlander. I had two problems with it in 10 years and 114K miles, a leaking strut at about 40K miles miles and a failed water pump at about 60K miles. Toyota replaced them both at no cost to me with a smile on their faces. Prior to that I traded cars about every three years. Among them were two late model Honda CRV's with zero problems. I have NEVER experienced a car with so many problems and such poor reliability. As you can tell I'm pretty bitter about the whole experience. Acura reminds me of the old days when American car manufacturers took us for granted.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
I am curious to know when you RDX was manufactured.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluntman72
I'm not sure how to tell the exact manufacturing date, it isn't on the original sticker. I picked it up on June 15, 2018.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by losiglow
Wow. I only got halfway through your list but I'm surprised to see that many issues. Sorry to hear. I have a 4G TL and have had some hiccups but nothing like that. I hope you get the issues resolved.
And I forgot to list that the HUD was replaced because it was delivered with a dead pixel !!
Old 11-14-2018, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Cazman
I'm not sure how to tell the exact manufacturing date, it isn't on the original sticker. I picked it up on June 15, 2018.
It should be on one of the stickers on the driver's side door jamb.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:31 AM
Instructor

It should be on one of the stickers on the driver's side door jamb.
I'll check it when I get it back from the dealer to resolve the main display black out and driver alert warning problems. I'm driving a loaner presently for the past 5 days. It's the 15th time I have had it back to the dealer. 750 miles in round trips and lost time. Grrrr.....
Old 11-14-2018, 11:49 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Apparently it was sometime like the Friday afternoon before the factory shut down for two weeks for Christmas vacation.
The following 3 users liked this post by losiglow:
97ws6 (11-16-2018), justnspace (11-15-2018), SandwichViking (11-14-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 11:10 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
I have experienced everything you have claimed and more. Acura offered to make three of my car payments, but it would require me to never complain about the issues I listed at the dealer. Now I am thinking of filing Lemon Law since my vehicle has spent more than 30 days in service for the same infotainment issues. I have asked time and time again to get something in writing stating that there will be system updates until the problems are resolved as well as a written guarantee that Android Auto will be delivered before signing anything. I can't even get that from Acura and I am regretting trading in my 2010 Mazda CX-9 that never gave me any issues and was still under 100k miles. It was a solid vehicle with zero issues over the life of the vehicle. If I proceed with this, then I will ask for my trade-in value, money I put down, the value of the vehicle and what I paid for my sales tax and then go buy something else and really test everything before committing to purchase. I feel like an idiot right now for allowing myself to actually believe that my first luxury vehicle would be better than my old suv...
Old 11-15-2018, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
I had to stop reading, while a few of these sound like legitimate problems, many of these complaints sound like you’re just nitpicking to make a point. I’m not surprised that you’re getting nowhere if this is your approach.

I stopped counting but at least 8 of the nitpicks from your laundry list should have been realized on your test drive, so not Acura’s fault, nor are they defects.

Just trade it in and be done with it, based on your diatribe, losing a few bucks on trade-in would be money well spent.
The following 7 users liked this post by tobey457:
catbert430 (11-15-2018), Gen4MDX (01-07-2019), GW208 (11-15-2018), MI-RDX (11-16-2018), Stew4HD (11-16-2018), Tom2 (01-24-2019), verpan (11-28-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-16-2018, 12:08 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
While I agree that some of the things the OP is complaining about aren't Acura's fault, some of his complaints are valid.

I purchased nine new Hondas in the last 12 years and have been mostly satisfied with each of them. I bought my first Acura expecting more. Unfortunately, the '19 RDX is turning out to be more of a let-down than any of my Hondas.

Here's my list so far in the first two months and 2,410 miles...

- Scuffed lower B-pillar trim (could have been caused by dealer/customer, but that's an odd place to scuff)
- Windshield distortion at the top of the HUD reflection
- A plethora of infotainment system glitches
- Pucker in driver's seat cushion leather
- Harsh 2-3 shifts
- Severe vibration while stopped in reverse with a cold engine
- Nuisance CMBS error messages (just like with my 2018 Accord)
- Trash under paint on trailing edge of front passenger door
- Deformed driver's A-pillar trim (inside bows inward extending into the windshield view)

I've had more issues with this '19 RDX so far than with any of the over two dozen vehicles I've owned - regardless of brand.

The RDX is comfortable and rides and handles nicely, but the "little" things prevent my full enjoyment of this vehicle. Believe it or not, the RDX has been parked the last month while I've been driving a 2016 Ford Fiesta that I inherited. Totally different class of vehicle, but the engine is actually quieter and both the engine and transmission are smoother in this $16K Ford than in my $48K Acura. Something is wrong with this picture! The saving grace is that I usually don't keep a vehicle very long. I've been a very loyal Honda buyer for over a decade, but my latest experiences have me questioning that loyalty and considering other brands for my next purchase.

I love Honda and Acura's resale value, but it's not worth the savings if I don't enjoy the ride.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tobey457
I had to stop reading, while a few of these sound like legitimate problems, many of these complaints sound like you’re just nitpicking to make a point. I’m not surprised that you’re getting nowhere if this is your approach.

I stopped counting but at least 8 of the nitpicks from your laundry list should have been realized on your test drive, so not Acura’s fault, nor are they defects.

Just trade it in and be done with it, based on your diatribe, losing a few bucks on trade-in would be money well spent.
I admit that some of the listed issues don't prevent me from driving the car but this is supposed to be a luxury vehicle and it is not enjoyable. I held off posting this list because I wanted Acura to have a chance to fix the problems. Unfortunately after 5 months of ownership and 5,000 miles the list just gets longer and more serious. Since it is leased I don't have the luxury of trading it in nor am I interested in taking any kind of loss on the vehicle. Apparently you are better able to absorb a $10k loss than I, I'm happy for you. I don't know how long and thorough your test drives are but I very much doubt that anyone would have caught the majority of these defects. BTW, the dealer has had my car for the past six days while I am driving a loaner. The main issues now are that you cannot read the dash at sunrise or sunset because it goes totally black when the sun is low and I had three warning messages + three idiot lights advising me to contact the dealer.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ours has been a disappointment overall as well. The main issue for us is the Infotainment system. This was one of the reasons we bought the RDX, and it has been absolutely terrible. It glitches constantly, locks up, randomly reboots and occasionally works beautifully. I'm not talking about the design flaws (like not being able to name saved places, zoom the map, etc.), but rather the obvious software issues. Each time I speak with Acura, they promise a software update is imminent...

We also have an annoying rattle in the front dash, but I'm sure I can find that one day when I have some more time.

The handling is generally excellent, but I also can detect no suspension difference between any of the modes. We have the Advance model with adaptive suspension, but it seems not to do anything. Throttle response is different, but not the suspension.

The fuel mileage is okay, but not as good as the ratings.

In contrast, our 2018 Accord exceeds expectations in virtually every way. The Infotainment system has been rock solid and has more features than the Acura. The the fuel mileage is far better than the rated numbers.

The RDX is my wife's vehicle and these issues do not bother her as much, but it is a surprising number of issues for a vehicle of this caliber.

I just filled out another Acura survey on the RDX this week. Hopefully they read these things as it was not that positive. We'll likely trade ours in a year or two unless the Infotainment system is fixed.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
While some of those are legit complaints good luck with lemon law. It’s not as easy as people make it out to be. The big part people forget about is the issue has to severely diminish the value of the car. A issue with the volume incriminates does not do that. I had a busted seat frame and the car was in the shop for 56 days and only after 5 failed attempts to fix it were they even going to think about getting me out of the car. You can call and ask a lawyer and see what they say. My biggest gripe is the center display going back to the odometer after restart. That’s a simple software fix I’m sure.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
I admit that some of the listed issues don't prevent me from driving the car but this is supposed to be a luxury vehicle and it is not enjoyable. I held off posting this list because I wanted Acura to have a chance to fix the problems. Unfortunately after 5 months of ownership and 5,000 miles the list just gets longer and more serious. Since it is leased I don't have the luxury of trading it in nor am I interested in taking any kind of loss on the vehicle. Apparently you are better able to absorb a $10k loss than I, I'm happy for you. I don't know how long and thorough your test drives are but I very much doubt that anyone would have caught the majority of these defects. BTW, the dealer has had my car for the past six days while I am driving a loaner. The main issues now are that you cannot read the dash at sunrise or sunset because it goes totally black when the sun is low and I had three warning messages + three idiot lights advising me to contact the dealer.
i defintely understand your frustration, and some of the things you mentioned are definitely considerable defects. No doubt. But in my opinion, items 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 14, 17, 23 from your list are all things (design nuances) that could have been realized pre-purchase, and are not defects at all.

Bottom line is you’re unhappy, and by reading your posts I don’t honestly know that you’d even be happy, even with a flawless RDX. There are plenty of other cars out there with enough incentives / discounts to hide most of that deficit, might just take a little work finding the right deal.

Good luck, hope you find some sort of resolution.
The following 3 users liked this post by tobey457:
B25Nut (11-16-2018), Gen4MDX (01-07-2019), Stew4HD (11-19-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
10. The audio volume control at low levels has adjustment steps that are too coarse.

Moving it down one step makes it too low and up one step makes it too loud. Many

audio controls have a finer adjustment at lower volume levels to get around this issue.

It would be good if a software update could increase the resolution of the volume

controls at low volume levels.
I noticed this when I test drove a 3G RDX a couple of week ago. The steps were much courser than my 2G RDX and something I would find annoying.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:16 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

17. The tailgate closes with a loud annoying “thunk”.
My tailgate made the same noise. Other RDX on the lot did not make the same noise when closing. When I took my car in for service, they found that the striker was not aligned properly. They adjusted the striker and the tailgate no longer makes a loud slamming noise when closing.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DevineRDX
My tailgate made the same noise. Other RDX on the lot did not make the same noise when closing. When I took my car in for service, they found that the striker was not aligned properly. They adjusted the striker and the tailgate no longer makes a loud slamming noise when closing.

I'd be happy with a tailgate that reverses when encountering resistance as described in the owner's manual. The 2018 RDX tailgate is flawless. My 2019 RDX Advance has a tailgate that will crush you. I get the "RCA" dog look from the stealership when discussing the issue. "Sorry, we can't install a 2018 hatch on a 2019" . Duh! How about just making the one I have work correctly?
The following 2 users liked this post by Havasubum:
billyt1963 (11-21-2018), SandwichViking (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 01:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Havasubum
I'd be happy with a tailgate that reverses when encountering resistance as described in the owner's manual. The 2018 RDX tailgate is flawless. My 2019 RDX Advance has a tailgate that will crush you. I get the "RCA" dog look from the stealership when discussing the issue. "Sorry, we can't install a 2018 hatch on a 2019" . Duh! How about just making the one I have work correctly?
That is a safety issue. You should file a complaint with corporate.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JustMe...
That is a safety issue. You should file a complaint with corporate.
I did and was told that is the way they all operate. I tried 2 on the show room floor. They both reversed properly ONCE, then would not work. Bravo Sierra. I already filed a NHTSA complaint.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Lists m4a files
The following users liked this post:
Cazman (11-27-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 06:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I did and was told that is the way they all operate. I tried 2 on the show room floor. They both reversed properly ONCE, then would not work. Bravo Sierra. I already filed a NHTSA complaint.
Could you post a link to the complaint page at NHTSA? I went to what seemed to be the proper site and found 0 complaints on both the FWD and AWD versions of the 2019 Acura RDX. Based upon this page I expected to see at least a few. I realize that forums tend to get lots of feedback on either end of the spectrum but there sure are lots of people complaining about lots of issues on this SUV. Hope Acura can get production QC back on track b/f I have to pull the trigger.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by quantum7
Could you post a link to the complaint page at NHTSA? I went to what seemed to be the proper site and found 0 complaints on both the FWD and AWD versions of the 2019 Acura RDX. Based upon this page I expected to see at least a few. I realize that forums tend to get lots of feedback on either end of the spectrum but there sure are lots of people complaining about lots of issues on this SUV. Hope Acura can get production QC back on track b/f I have to pull the trigger.

I have no idea how NHTSA works. I filed my complaint about the rear hatch months ago. Click here and it will take you to the "vehicle owners" section of NHTSA or SAFECAR.gov. Good luck.
quantum7 (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I have no idea how NHTSA works. I filed my complaint about the rear hatch months ago. Click here and it will take you to the "vehicle owners" section of NHTSA or SAFECAR.gov. Good luck.
Thanks....that is where I went. Seems that the site is down for maintenance so maybe that is why I can not find any reviews. I seem to remember a different site/format.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:01 AM
Instructor

I think they are having problems. When I look up 2019 RDX, it shows 7 complaints. When I click on the "7" it takes me to a different screen showing 0 complaints.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:25 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
About 5 years ago I had some (multiple) issues with a "newly re-designed" Nissan Altima I bought. The dealer was of no help, another dealer was of no help, the Zone Rep was of no help. Numerous calls were made to Nissan of North America and "cases" were opened...all to no avail. I read on several Nissan forums that other new owners had many of the same issues I had. Finally a buddy suggested that I contact The Better Business Bureau's Automobile Department To be honest I didn't have much hope that they would be able to help me.....BUT to my surprise, they opened up a case and like magic things started to happen. Within weeks I was contacted by the dealer I had purchased from and an appointment was set up to bring my car in to have a "Special Factory Tech" show up at the dealership and correct my issues (one included bringing a "special re-worked" wiring harness for the heated seats to work as designed that I had included in my list of issues).........low and behold I was FINALLY taken care.

Try contacting the BBB Auto Dept to see if they can get involved. It might be the answer.
Havasubum (11-22-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Recirculate

Whoa. Interesting list, most of which aren’t serious issues or design flaws. I’ll address the recirculatiin function. The recirculate / auto function works as it should. Let’s presuppose that you always want the temp inside to be 65 degrees. If the inside of the vehicle is below 65, recirculate will be on (efficient heating) until the car reaches 65 approximately and then it will switch to fresh air (recirculate off). The opposite is true for cold air. Car will recirculate (efficienct cooling) until it reaches the desired temp and will then switch recirculation off.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Compass

There is a compass cardinal direction label on the main screen (Trip /MPG screen) that states the direction of travel. You don’t need to be in the dedicated “compass” screen to know your direction of travel. Not an issue.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Audi2Acura
There is a compass cardinal direction label on the main screen (Trip /MPG screen) that states the direction of travel. You don’t need to be in the dedicated “compass” screen to know your direction of travel. Not an issue.
The font for the compass reading as well as the rest of the main screen is so small, it can be very hard to read for some folks
Old 11-27-2018, 01:09 AM
SWF
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The font for the compass reading as well as the rest of the main screen is so small, it can be very hard to read for some folks
If they can't read that maybe these "folks" shouldn't be behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Audi2Acura
Whoa. Interesting list, most of which aren’t serious issues or design flaws. I’ll address the recirculatiin function. The recirculate / auto function works as it should. Let’s presuppose that you always want the temp inside to be 65 degrees. If the inside of the vehicle is below 65, recirculate will be on (efficient heating) until the car reaches 65 approximately and then it will switch to fresh air (recirculate off). The opposite is true for cold air. Car will recirculate (efficienct cooling) until it reaches the desired temp and will then switch recirculation off.
I agree, this is exactly how it should work. Unfortunately it is not how it works with the RDX gen3. What I determined as the weather became colder in UNY is that when the outside temp is around 68 deg F or less the system works properly. If the outside temperature is about 70 deg F or higher the recirculate function NEVER turns off unless you manually turn it off. A software update could easily correct this along with many of the other annoyances I have listed.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SWF
If they can't read that maybe these "folks" shouldn't be behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.
Thanks for your lovely thoughts. Do some reading moron. Most cars offer better human factors engineering. Maybe you're too immature to be here.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Children, if we can't play nicely, we can put you in time out.
just a friendly reminder that personal attacks are frowned upon, as you all are adults and know how to treat each other.
zroger73 (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Talk to SWF. His remarks are immature and inappropriate. I will NOT be the NFL who hits back and gets a yellow flag. I AM NOT A CHILD
Old 11-27-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Going forward; We all expect each other to be adults.

also, I understand that vehicles are probably the 2nd most expensive things we own, and sometimes, we do take things personally.. as our vehicles are an extension of ourselves. Let's all take a step back and realize we're in this guinea pig testing of the 3rd gen rdx together.

Last edited by justnspace; 11-27-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:34 AM
Racer

I agree, this is exactly how it should work. Unfortunately it is not how it works with the RDX gen3. What I determined as the weather became colder in UNY is that when the outside temp is around 68 deg F or less the system works properly. If the outside temperature is about 70 deg F or higher the recirculate function NEVER turns off unless you manually turn it off. A software update could easily correct this along with many of the other annoyances I have listed.
This is how Toyota, and maybe others like Honda, have it programmed now. It is meant to increase fuel economy. I've been manually setting my 2013 Lexus to outside air at each startup when the outside temp is above 72 degrees. It's just something you'll have to live with, as there won't be a fix for it.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
A rule on forums I try real hard to follow: Dispute/attack the post, not the poster.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gate 17
Lists m4a files
Interesting that .m4a files are indeed listed as a supported format. Thank you for pointing this out. Since my initial test was almost 6 months ago I decided to revisit this issue. I copied a folder of .m4a songs ripped with iTunes to the usb memory stick containing the .mp3 files I play regularly. While the .mp3 files play as expected, the .m4a do not. The system locates the .m4a files in the folder and everything looks normal however when I select a song there is no sound even though the screen displays the album art and song info properly. It even shows the count down time of the song as if it were playing. These .m4a songs play fine with iTines when the usb memory stick is plugged into my iMac and they also play fine from my network drive using my in home Sonos system. I can only assume that there is an issue with the codec in the RDX gen3. Has anyone had success playing Apple lossless encoded .m4a files in their gen3 RDX ?

Now that I know there is documentation showing support for .m4a files I will be raising this as an issue when I take the car in for my first oil change & tire rotation.

Quick Reply: Read This BEFORE You Buy