Problem with Brakes, Collision Avoidance and Lane Departure

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Angry Problem with Brakes, Collision Avoidance and Lane Departure

I have yet another problem to add to my list of defects. Yesterday was the first day where we had snow in my area of Upstate, NY. Not a heavy snow fall but just some slushy stuff without accumulation. Within 5 miles of driving the main dash display issued two malfunction warnings, the ACC and the Collision Avoidance breaking system. In addition to the two message the two idiot lights for these systems came on and the systems were automatically disabled. When we reached our destination about 20 minutes later it was clear the there was slush build up over the Acura "A" symbol on the front of the car. This was probably the cause, but certainly a bad design location for winter climates. I cleared the slush and wiped it down. This seemed to clear the warnings and the systems went back to normal operation. When we continued our journey home it wasn't snowing, just rain. Within 5 minutes the same two warnings came on. Five minutes after that a third warning came on that was more ominous. This time it was a problems with the brakes with the advice to contact the dealer. Now I have three idiot lights on and three messages. We stopped for an hour to have dinner and I was hoping that the warnings would clear. I was not that lucky. The car is now in the garage and the three warnings persist. I contacted the dealer's service manager to report this additional problem with my vehicle. He said his techs told him that ice build up could cause all of these issues. Are you kidding me?? We get an average of 100+ inches of snow in my area. This was not enough snow to even warrant plows or salt shakers. Be forewarned, I guess the car is not designed to be driven in winter weather. This trip to the dealer will be my 15th and I am at my limit. The regional manager refuses to meet with me and says all problems of a service nature must be handled by the dealer and all customer service issues must go through the 800 number. What great customer care from Acura. I just got off the phone call to the 800 number and they are supposed to call me back on Monday. Meanwhile my wife no longer wants to drive the car and it sits in the garage awaiting a call back from the dealer to schedule a service appointment. Pics of my dash warnings are attached.

Update, the next day after totally cleaning all areas of the car the warnings persist and the three idiot lights are still on. Back to the dealer for the 15th time!!

Old 11-10-2018, 12:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
We had heavy wet snow too in Toronto yesterday and I did encounter similar problem with the Driver Assist Systems but not the same error message as yours.
Indeed the build up of snow on the A emblem caused the problem, the Driver Assist Systems resumed after removing the snow. Now I wish the emblem is heated like the side mirror

Last edited by Shironeko; 11-10-2018 at 12:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
subin (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 06:41 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Now you got me worried that snow accumulation around the emblem is going to be an ongoing issue during the winter. I live in Ontario (just west of Toronto) and we get snow all the time. I appreciate the post as it makes aware of this problem and will not be making a quick path to the Dealership all the time.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:52 PM
S_K
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same exact problem

My car is at the dealership for the exact same problem. Was told that it's from the A emblem being iced over. They defrosted my car overnight and saw moisture in the mitigation system radar...so they're replacing it entirely.
Not only that but my breaks squeak as if it's an ancient car.
I raised hell at the dealership because they told me it would take 2 weeks for the part to get to my location, then another 3 days to fix. As a result, they're overnight shipping the part.

Kind of concerning that a car with 1010 miles on it is already having service problems. Bought this is as my first car because you hear it's reliable yet 2 months in i'm already being "bffs" with the service department..

hope this is a one time thing or I'm going to trade the car.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I’ve had the same problem the last 200 miles. Vehicle has 1200 miles on it. It is irritating.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:01 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Malfunctioning of the ACC in inclement weather is not limited to Honda/Acura. A lot of parts for Acura are still shipped from Japan, so 2 weeks is normal, unfortunately.

Last edited by 2019RDX; 01-27-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
These problems with snow obstructing the radar is with every car manufacturer....

I had a 2015 Nissan Murano Platinum, when snowing, the radar was obstructed and the electronics related to the radar stopped working

I had a 2017 VW Golf R, same thing.

I find that with the RDX, at least, we have the choice of switching between ACC and normal cruise control, witch makes sense when the radar is obstructed. I couldn't do that with my previous cars...
Old 01-28-2019, 09:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
As a PSA, no one should use ACC in rain, snow or ice. Thank you, that is all.

It seems these nanny systems are too much in many situations!
The following users liked this post:
markm929 (01-28-2019)