Lane departure warning/over-react

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Lane departure warning/over-react

This has happened a couple of times, most recently this morning on my way to work.

Driving on the freeway, no traffic around, I change lanes without using turn signal, I get the bright yellow alert in the MID about lane departure and the RDX hits the brakes hard, as if I am using the ACC and a car I am following slows in front of me. This is very disconcerting and scared the crap out of me! It doesn't do this every time, I have tried to repeat it and seems to happen when I least expect it. ... sigh

BTW: I usually signal when I change lanes, especially when there is traffic around me
Old 11-14-2018, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 45 Posts
It is the feature of the Road Departure Mitigation System which you can turn off. It is in the settings so you could set it up to only warn you rather than apply the brakes for you.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Just Acura's way of encouraging you to always use your turn signals.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vvlien
It is the feature of the Road Departure Mitigation System which you can turn off. It is in the settings so you could set it up to only warn you rather than apply the brakes for you.
Why doesn't it apply the brakes every time then? That's the part that bothers me. It's done this to me when I come to a 'Y' before. The camera must be seeing the vehicle getting too far away fron one of the lines.

Intermittent issues are the worst.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Rather than it being related to RDMS could it be something being misinterpreted by the CMBS applying the brakes? Lots of variables being considered by the two systems, both of which will apply the brakes if it's determined necessary.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
People had (and some still do) the same reaction when anti-lock brakes were introduced.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Are you 100% sure that the alert in the MID specifies a lane departure, or is it possible you are seeing the "BRAKE" message?. I don't know of any circumstance where a lane change should initiate braking. AFAIK, automatic braking is only part of the CMBS or ACC systems. Do you actually have LKAS and LDW turned on when this occurs?

I don't know if the 2019 system works any different than my 2016 system, but I have never experienced the CMBS system activating when I change lanes. It has however applied the brakes occasionally as I approach a curve which has a tree or utility pole straight ahead as I approach. I guess the system can see the pole but it doesn't know I will be turning before I hit the pole. The CMBS will also operate if the system sees a pedestrian (or similar shaped object) ahead of the vehicle.

By the way, I know that you usually signal turns when you know there is traffic around you, but what if there is a car in your blind spot that you don't know about. That is what the Blind Spot Information System (BSIS) is for, and it will only warn you of drivers in your blind spot when you use the turn signal.

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Driving on the freeway, no traffic around, I change lanes without using turn signal, I get the bright yellow alert in the MID about lane departure and the RDX hits the brakes hard, as if I am using the ACC and a car I am following slows in front of me. This is very disconcerting and scared the crap out of me! It doesn't do this every time, I have tried to repeat it and seems to happen when I least expect it. ... sigh

BTW: I usually signal when I change lanes, especially when there is traffic around me
Old 11-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
Are you 100% sure that the alert in the MID specifies a lane departure, or is it possible you are seeing the "BRAKE" message?. I don't know of any circumstance where a lane change should initiate braking. AFAIK, automatic braking is only part of the CMBS or ACC systems. Do you actually have LKAS and LDW turned on when this occurs?

I don't know if the 2019 system works any different than my 2016 system, but I have never experienced the CMBS system activating when I change lanes. It has however applied the brakes occasionally as I approach a curve which has a tree or utility pole straight ahead as I approach. I guess the system can see the pole but it doesn't know I will be turning before I hit the pole. The CMBS will also operate if the system sees a pedestrian (or similar shaped object) ahead of the vehicle.

By the way, I know that you usually signal turns when you know there is traffic around you, but what if there is a car in your blind spot that you don't know about. That is what the Blind Spot Information System (BSIS) is for, and it will only warn you of drivers in your blind spot when you use the turn signal.
My blind spot indicators work with or without the turn signal.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Cazman
My blind spot indicators work with or without the turn signal.
True that the visual indicators work with or without the turn signals, but the audible indicator will not work unless the turn signal is activated.

If the OP (Stew4HD) does check the visual indicators before changing lanes, then good for him.

If I had the choice I would like to see the RDX's visual indicator built into the side view mirrors, rather than being located on the door panel inside of the vehicle as they are. The current position means that I have to look into the side view mirror and the interior panel at the same time, before changing lanes.

Because of this inconvenience, I am in the habit of always using my turn signals, This means that I can concentrate on just the mirrors, knowing that the audible indicator will alert me to what the visual indicator is showing me, without looking at it.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

True that the visual indicators work with or without the turn signals, but the audible indicator will not work unless the turn signal is activated.

If the OP (Stew4HD) does check the visual indicators before changing lanes, then good for him.

If I had the choice I would like to see the RDX's visual indicator built into the side view mirrors, rather than being located on the door panel inside of the vehicle as they are. The current position means that I have to look into the side view mirror and the interior panel at the same time, before changing lanes.

Because of this inconvenience, I am in the habit of always using my turn signals, This means that I can concentrate on just the mirrors, knowing that the audible indicator will alert me to what the visual indicator is showing me, without looking at it.
I DO normally use the turn signals. this isn't about me not using them, per se. There was no cars near me, anywhere, when it happened this morning. I changed lanes, the vehicle braked hard.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:48 PM
Pro

I DO normally use the turn signals. this isn't about me not using them, per se. There was no cars near me, anywhere, when it happened this morning. I changed lanes, the vehicle braked hard.
Sorry, no offense intended. I just saw an opportunity to remind people to use their signals all the time by reminding them that BSMS will not work as intended if the signals are not being used.

I had a look at the owners manual since my last post, and I discovered this. Did your situation occur while crossing a solid line?

The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (11-15-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
If there's a car stopped or parked partially in your lane and you need to swerve left across the line, does the system know to not steer back into your lane or brake?
Old 11-14-2018, 04:04 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Njbrandon
If there's a car stopped or parked partially in your lane and you need to swerve left across the line, does the system know to not steer back into your lane or brake?
The system only supplies a small amount of torque to move the steering wheel. Perhaps equivalent to what you could provide if you were steering with 1 finger. You can easily override this torque if you have 1 or 2 hands on the wheel. If you are getting close to the parked vehicle before changing lanes, there is a possibility of braking occurring due to CMBS. Also, as mentioned in my previous post, if you cross a solid line without signalling, braking may occur.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Mine consistently applies brakes at the same exact place when traversing a "hump" in the road I frequently travel. It's startling but I'm used to it now. Never had a problem with braking during a lane change.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:13 PM
Instructor

I didn't even know that there was an audible alarm, probably because I always use my turn signals. I agree about the location of the blind spot indicator. It is very dim and you have to look for it or you won't notice it. I have had a few cars with the indicator on the mirror and that is a much better place for it.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:20 PM
Pro

I didn't even know that there was an audible alarm, probably because I always use my turn signals. .
Just to be clear, you will not activate the audible unless you do signal your intention to turn, when there is a car in your blind-spot.

You probably drive like myself, where I check my mirrors first, and I will not signal a turn unless I am sure it is safe to do so. As a result I rarely hear the audible alert.

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 11-14-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:01 AM
Suzuka Master

I always check my mirrors even if the BSI isn't indicating anything.. lesson learned from long ago.

FYI: I just turned the RDM system off. Thanks @RDX-Rick
Old 11-15-2018, 11:59 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I didn't even know that there was an audible alarm, probably because I always use my turn signals. I agree about the location of the blind spot indicator. It is very dim and you have to look for it or you won't notice it. I have had a few cars with the indicator on the mirror and that is a much better place for it.
If you use the turn signals you WILL get an audible alarm if someone is in your blind spot unless you have disabled the system. Use turn signals and no one in blind spot area.... NO audible. Don't use turn signals.... NO audible.

I don't find them dim at all - maybe even too bright at night. I also prefer ithem inside on the pillars so that I can see them when the windows sometime get fogged over in inclement weather. I've driven a number of rental cars in winter conditions and their mirror indicators were not at all effective.

Royki5cp (01-19-2021)
Old 11-16-2018, 05:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Newsy1904
...I also prefer ithem inside on the pillars....
+1 on that. Illuminated on the pillar as they are the driver side can be seen in my peripheral vision without even shifting my gaze and the passenger side is just a quick glance. That said the mirrors can easily be adjusted so there are no blind spots so I really fail to see why anyone is having a snit over this unless they are intentionally setting the mirrors so they do have a blind spot and using that as a basis for bad mouthing the car.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:06 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor system implementation...etc... Acura/Honda is lacking in this regard. I experienced the same problem with the dealer 'new' loaner... it is really dangerous under wet etc conditions.

An Engineering flaw.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:10 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
This has happened a couple of times, most recently this morning on my way to work.

Use your turn signal, not a problem. Plus, it's the law
HillbillyInBC (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 10:20 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Can this be turned off?