I Gave Up On My RDX

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:25 AM
Cruisin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Dumped my '19 RDX SH-AWD Tech yesterday in lieu of a BMW X3. Way too many problems even for a new design. Squealing brakes, Infotainment lockups, Comfort access issues, Harsh transmission shifting, and the final straw was gasoline in my oil. Good riddance, Acura.
The following users liked this post:
dukeh62 (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 08:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did the same thing back in in December 2018 when I unloaded my 2014 RDX (24500 miles) after a year long of BS deflection, and deception by Acura to avoid fixing my transmission judder problem. They basically told me that I would need to live with it. Purchased a new 2018 BMW X3. 6500 miles later and it has not missed a beat. Quality interior, extremely smooth shifting and incredible 2.0 turbo.acceleration. After 5 Hondas, it really pissed me off that Acura/Honda are now in a quality tailspin.

I truly doubt that a new model year will not bring increased reliability to the Acura RDX. You did the correct thing.....RUN!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
So I'll go the other direction with this banter. Bought on September 4th. Now have about 7K miles on her. Not ONE SIGNLE ISSUE...PERIOD! Infotainment has been stable. No squealing brakes. Fit and finish is excellent and I am one anal engineering dude. Transmission has been smooth and no jerkiness or harsh shifting. Wife is happy and I enjoy driving it on the weekends when she lets me. We'll keep it for 3 years tops and then she'll get her sports car as we never keep anything more than a few years. Sorry that folks have had issues but, as was stated above, there does appear to be inconsistencies but if you get a "good" one it is an awesome vehicle. Looked at BMW's too but overpriced IMPO for what you get and if you plan to keep cars past their warranty, you don't want a Bimmer...I've had way too many friends that have owned them, both old and new, tell me that!
Old 03-20-2019, 09:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With any of these cars; "your mileage(reliability) may vary. Automatic transmissions have been around for about 100 years. In recent years, Honda/Acura have had challenges making reliable ones. We have owned many Hondas (2008 and earlier) and those cars/vans and a 2010 Goldwing motorcycle were bullet-proof.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob175
I FEEL YOUR PAIN.......

My rule...."NEVER buy 1 first year re-design, NEVER!". I broke my own rule once and paid the price. The dealership's mechanics didn't yet learn the new systems, the Zone Rep was gathering complaints, the Corp Office Customer Support were just phone answering and writing notes and everyone else was just making empty promises. It's a VERY HELPLESS & MADDENING FEELING to have spent $30M to $50M on a product that's not working correctly and NOBODY being able to provide a "fix".

Long story short, I'm now personally involved in a Class Action Suit against the manufacturer which is currently in the Courts................(I won't say the name of the manufacturer).........but hopefully, the case will be finished within the the year.

NEVER buy 1 first year re-design, NEVER!
Haven't posted in quite some time, but will now.

I bought a 2001 MDX (the first model), which was a stellar vehicle for 17 years, and a 2007 (redesign) which I still have.

We traded the 2001 in when we bought a 2017 RDX Advance.

It was in for service, and we had a 2019 Advance loaner. While I sincerely hope you all like yours, I won't be buying one.

Truth be told, while my wife liked the heads up display, I just flat out didn't care for the vehicle.

Probably the driver configuration more than anything. Felt like it was imitating a Lincoln MKZ.

I was glad to get our 2017 back.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:46 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by barnowl
Haven't posted in quite some time, but will now.

I bought a 2001 MDX (the first model), which was a stellar vehicle for 17 years, and a 2007 (redesign) which I still have.

We traded the 2001 in when we bought a 2017 RDX Advance.

It was in for service, and we had a 2019 Advance loaner. While I sincerely hope you all like yours, I won't be buying one.

Truth be told, while my wife liked the heads up display, I just flat out didn't care for the vehicle.

Probably the driver configuration more than anything. Felt like it was imitating a Lincoln MKZ.

I was glad to get our 2017 back.
While I certainly respect your opinion, I disagree. The Lincoln MKZ (now called Nautilus) was on my list before buying. It drove like a bigger vehicle, had almost no sense of road feel or handling, and was significantly more money nearly comparable equipped.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
While I certainly respect your opinion, I disagree. The Lincoln MKZ (now called Nautilus) was on my list before buying. It drove like a bigger vehicle, had almost no sense of road feel or handling, and was significantly more money nearly comparable equipped.
I should have been clearer.

My reference to the MKZ, which I have never driven, was the cockpit configuration. Felt restrictive compared to the 2nd Generation.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:58 AM
5th Gear

Gonna turn in my RDX

I've had my AWD A-Spec RDX for nearly 3 months and decided to return it to the dealership. I know I may lose a few grand by doing this but I've been losing sleep over this vehicle. Several issues have come up:
- The running boards dug into my calf when exiting the car. Also, for my light colored pants dirty. The dealer charged my for the removal and asked where to put it. I was so pissed that they would even consider charging for this that I told the dealership to put it on another vehicle (someone got free running boards). Acura is claiming that I'm the only complaint so far regarding the running boards.
- Roof racks whistles since the purchase of the vehicle. The front rack is missing the rubber strip and this piece is not available separately and the entire rack must be replaced. The dealership is going to charge me for the rack and the service charge to replace the rack even though it's been whistling since my purchase.
- Limp mode when accelerating. I tried to pass a slower vehicle and the engine went into limp mode. I had AAA tow me to the dealership. The dealership found some "unidentifiable codes" and reset my computer. This is a safety issue and I'm not comfortable driving it on any long trips. This is my biggest concern and I'm not the first customer with this problem (read other with this limp mode problem).
I love the styling and the drive but I can't trust this luxury car. I will likely go back to another Subaru Forester (this would be my 3rd).
Old 03-25-2019, 03:50 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Your dealership sounds like a POS.

From reading this it seems your hatred for your RDX is really a hatred for your crappy dealership.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:55 PM
5th Gear

Gonna take a $20k hit on the return. Not a good decision but the right decision.

i am so done with Acura!
Old 03-25-2019, 02:58 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by go lakers
Gonna take a $20k hit on the return. Not a good decision but the right decision.

i am so done with Acura!

Go to a different dealer, haggle or sell privately.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:15 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Go to a different dealer, haggle or sell privately.
I agree. There's no reason you should take that type of hit, even on a brand new car. You are being taken advantage of. Look through some of the threads about others bailing on their '19 RDXs...I believe they all lost between $6-$8k.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I told the dealership to put it on another vehicle (someone got free running boards).
I doubt they were free. They probably charged someone else full price for them. Name the dealer so readers will be aware. $20K is quite a screw job for 3 months.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:49 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by MrJames
I doubt they were free. They probably charged someone else full price for them. Name the dealer so readers will be aware. $20K is quite a screw job for 3 months.

IKR? If they're screwing him for $20K, they surely double charged someone for the running boards.

20K is almost a 45% loss.

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 03-25-2019 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Fuck it.