I Gave Up On My RDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019 | 06:34 PM
Cruisin'

Unhappy I Gave Up On My RDX

I know some people may say I'm stupid, but last week I traded-in my '19 RDX Advance FWD.
I was having way too many issues and in the end I needed something reliable and couldn't await the fixes that the Acura Dealership was promising me.
I do have some negative equity, but since I purchased my new car from the same line of dealerships that owns Acura they were able to transfer the money I spent on GAP / Extended Warranty immediately as my Down Payment so I didn't have to give them any money up front.
It absolutely kills me as I've wanted an Acura for as long as I can remember. It's basically been my dream for the longest time.
I really hope you guys get all the problems fixed. For me leaving work after an 11 hour shift with a dead battery, or driving on the Interstate and all Electronics turning off (so I couldn't even see how fast I was going) was too much of a safety concern.
Acura should pay attention and issue Recalls ASAP.
At least I can say I owned a luxury vehicle for almost 7 months...

In the interim, if anyone knows how to delete my account on here, please let me know as I no longer own an Acura and would not need to be apart of the Community.

Regards,
Eva
Old 02-26-2019 | 06:41 PM
Burning Brakes

That is too bad. Seems like you were really the early adopter. Lesson learned here is to stay away from first year redesign, regardless of brands. Play it safe, I don't have the time to deal with dealerships
Old 02-26-2019 | 07:16 PM
Racer

Sorry to hear that you had those issues. What did you replace it with?

Also, no need to delete your account. It's not really a thing. Your old posts will be here until the forum goes away.
Old 02-26-2019 | 10:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EvaB
I know some people may say I'm stupid, but last week I traded-in my '19 RDX Advance FWD.
I was having way too many issues and in the end I needed something reliable and couldn't await the fixes that the Acura Dealership was promising me.
I do have some negative equity, but since I purchased my new car from the same line of dealerships that owns Acura they were able to transfer the money I spent on GAP / Extended Warranty immediately as my Down Payment so I didn't have to give them any money up front.
It absolutely kills me as I've wanted an Acura for as long as I can remember. It's basically been my dream for the longest time.
I really hope you guys get all the problems fixed. For me leaving work after an 11 hour shift with a dead battery, or driving on the Interstate and all Electronics turning off (so I couldn't even see how fast I was going) was too much of a safety concern.
Acura should pay attention and issue Recalls ASAP.
At least I can say I owned a luxury vehicle for almost 7 months...

In the interim, if anyone knows how to delete my account on here, please let me know as I no longer own an Acura and would not need to be apart of the Community.

Regards,
Eva
what car did you get
Old 02-27-2019 | 12:28 AM
Null and proud of it

First of all, stay here on AZ!

Second, your RDX seemed like an extreme lemon. I know RDX's are having some kinks, but what you described is severe and not typical in a 3G RDX...
Old 02-27-2019 | 05:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acuraada
That is too bad. Seems like you were really the early adopter. Lesson learned here is to stay away from first year redesign, regardless of brands. Play it safe, I don't have the time to deal with dealerships
Me too. The redesign was so good looking I couldn’t walk away. Next time I will wait at least a year refresh to buy. We did that with our 9th gen Accord. Hopefully no major machanical issues with out RDX.
Old 02-27-2019 | 08:18 AM
Racer

Sorry to hear that, but I understand your decision.
No need to delete the account. If you don't want to get any more email notifications from the forum, just login and click on your name at the upper right hand corner, select "user control panel" and un-subscribe all the threads. Do the same for "subscribed thread".
Wish you the best of everything.
Old 02-27-2019 | 08:30 AM
Advanced

I FEEL YOUR PAIN.......

My rule...."NEVER buy 1 first year re-design, NEVER!". I broke my own rule once and paid the price. The dealership's mechanics didn't yet learn the new systems, the Zone Rep was gathering complaints, the Corp Office Customer Support were just phone answering and writing notes and everyone else was just making empty promises. It's a VERY HELPLESS & MADDENING FEELING to have spent $30M to $50M on a product that's not working correctly and NOBODY being able to provide a "fix".

Long story short, I'm now personally involved in a Class Action Suit against the manufacturer which is currently in the Courts................(I won't say the name of the manufacturer).........but hopefully, the case will be finished within the the year.

NEVER buy 1 first year re-design, NEVER!
The following 3 users liked this post by Rob175:
citidelx (09-09-2022), pingsid (04-27-2019), subin (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019 | 10:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob175
I FEEL YOUR PAIN.......

My rule...."NEVER buy 1 first year re-design, NEVER!". I broke my own rule once and paid the price. The dealership's mechanics didn't yet learn the new systems, the Zone Rep was gathering complaints, the Corp Office Customer Support were just phone answering and writing notes and everyone else was just making empty promises. It's a VERY HELPLESS & MADDENING FEELING to have spent $30M to $50M on a product that's not working correctly and NOBODY being able to provide a "fix".

Long story short, I'm now personally involved in a Class Action Suit against the manufacturer which is currently in the Courts................(I won't say the name of the manufacturer).........but hopefully, the case will be finished within the the year.

NEVER buy 1 first year re-design, NEVER!
I agree except I didn't in this case... Feel like a moron...

I am going to wait and see if any big deals come out later this summer on other options and probably trade mine
Old 02-27-2019 | 10:34 AM
Racer

I FEEL YOUR PAIN.......

My rule...."NEVER buy 1 first year re-design, NEVER!"....
Guinea Pigs are an essential part of our economy. Without them, how would we get improvements to the original design?

I guess I've been lucky, as I had no issues with either my 2002 GMC Envoy, or 2013 Lexus ES. Both were also 1st gen total redesigns.
The following users liked this post:
subin (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019 | 10:51 AM
Intermediate

New Aspec two weeks ago....no issues so far. Perhaps since the 2019 RDX production started many months ago, the initial problems have disappeared?
Old 02-27-2019 | 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by palgeno
New Aspec two weeks ago....no issues so far. Perhaps since the 2019 RDX production started many months ago, the initial problems have disappeared?
Probably, OP had purchased really early on.

It's not too hard to understand practice makes perfect. By now the built number should be around 60k. The crew and processes should be more matured.

But they can only fix what they know. Hopefully they monitor this forum. This is also why we keep pounding on issues and encourge others to do so.

​​​​

​​​​​
Old 02-27-2019 | 03:22 PM
Advanced

I’m sorry my older brother convinced me to buy this Acura after being a loyal Toyota customer. I was a Kool Aid drinker after the initial great reviews from many online reviewers, and even CR initially recommended this RDX. I’m going to cut my loses and move on before a major recall is made. My brother on the other hand is still on board with his latest Acura.
Old 02-27-2019 | 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2019RDX
I’m sorry my older brother convinced me to buy this Acura after being a loyal Toyota customer. I was a Kool Aid drinker after the initial great reviews from many online reviewers, and even CR initially recommended this RDX. I’m going to cut my loses and move on before a major recall is made. My brother on the other hand is still on board with his latest Acura.
really to bad, love mine, have had a few minor issues that the dealer fixed, love driving this car
Old 02-28-2019 | 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Dereileak

what car did you get
Thanks guys for all of your comments. I ended up getting a Honda Sedan. I think it's "New" for the 2019 year so let's hope I don't run into any issues.
The bank stated I needed to get another new vehicle in order for the loan to go through in lieu of used. I also wanted to get a vehicle that had the most features as I could get similar to the RDX but I think the CRV / HRVs are ugly and the Pilot is just too big of a vehicle for me.
I've had Honda's in the past and never ran into issues so hopefully that trend will keep going.

Things I miss:
Heated Steering Wheel
Cooling Seats
Blind Spot Detection
All the Parking Cameras

Things I love:
Not having to put over $20 of Fuel in the car
Radio turns off when you power off the car (not when you open the doors)
Push button gears (similar to the RDX)

I've had an SUV since 2014 so getting out of the car is a struggle. I'm sure I'll get used to it. I just am now feeling my age.

Also it looks like the Dealership cleaned up the RDX and already listed it on their page, I guess I'm not surprised by how much they want for it:
https://www.leithacura.com/used-Rale...TC1H75KL003572

Last edited by EvaB; 02-28-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2019 | 11:59 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dereileak

really to bad, love mine, have had a few minor issues that the dealer fixed, love driving this car
Initially, I loved, loved the RDX until my limp mode issue, which is still unresolved, and I’m afraid to drive any distance at Interstate speeds in fear of another incident. Better safe than sorry. The new RAV4 will probably be my next vehicle. Yes, I know it is all new, but Toyota has much better reliability and the RAV4 is not turbocharged, and premium gasoline is not recommended.
Old 03-01-2019 | 07:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I think this gets blown out of proportion. There are a TON of folks that have ZERO issues with their RDX's and I am one of them. Very happy so when I read threads like this it just makes me *****. You will always find folks that have had a negative experience (especially on a forum where everyone comes to complain) with anything but to generalize the car is "bad" and make statements about trading in and buying something else is a bit over the top. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that @EvaB didn't have a real or perceived concern but some of you are just jumping on the band wagon.....
Old 03-01-2019 | 08:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EvaB
Thanks guys for all of your comments. I ended up getting a Honda Sedan. I think it's "New" for the 2019 year so let's hope I don't run into any issues.
The bank stated I needed to get another new vehicle in order for the loan to go through in lieu of used. I also wanted to get a vehicle that had the most features as I could get similar to the RDX but I think the CRV / HRVs are ugly and the Pilot is just too big of a vehicle for me.
I've had Honda's in the past and never ran into issues so hopefully that trend will keep going.

Things I miss:
Heated Steering Wheel
Cooling Seats
Blind Spot Detection
All the Parking Cameras

Things I love:
Not having to put over $20 of Fuel in the car
Radio turns off when you power off the car (not when you open the doors)
Push button gears (similar to the RDX)

I've had an SUV since 2014 so getting out of the car is a struggle. I'm sure I'll get used to it. I just am now feeling my age.

Also it looks like the Dealership cleaned up the RDX and already listed it on their page, I guess I'm not surprised by how much they want for it:
https://www.leithacura.com/used-Rale...TC1H75KL003572
What did they pay you for the RDX?
Old 03-01-2019 | 09:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by securityguy
I think this gets blown out of proportion. There are a TON of folks that have ZERO issues with their RDX's and I am one of them. Very happy so when I read threads like this it just makes me *****. You will always find folks that have had a negative experience (especially on a forum where everyone comes to complain) with anything but to generalize the car is "bad" and make statements about trading in and buying something else is a bit over the top. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that @EvaB didn't have a real or perceived concern but some of you are just jumping on the band wagon.....
Yeah, everyone got together to complain to Consumer Reports in a scheme to get them to report the same problems people mention in this forum and lead to the RDX no longer being recommended. It's a vast conspiracy to make Acura look bad...lol
Old 03-01-2019 | 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

The reason it is no longer "recommended" is because of the complex infotainment system and the issues people have encountered...not the vehicle itself. The same happened with the redesigned Global Platform 2017 Subaru Impreza. GREAT car but the infotainment system was "buggy" so they took away its recommended status. As simple as that and nothing more. This actually happens a LOT to several manufacturers and the infotainment system is typically the culprit.

Last edited by securityguy; 03-01-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2019 | 09:44 PM
Racer

The reason it is no longer "recommended" is because of the complex infotainment system and the issues people have encountered...not the vehicle itself. The same happened with the redesigned Global Platform 2017 Subaru Impreza. GREAT car but the infotainment system was "buggy" so they took away its recommended status. As simple as that and nothing more. This actually happens a LOT to several manufacturers and the infotainment system is typically the culprit.
If the infotainment system is glitchy enough to not turn off and run down the battery to the point the car won't start, then that should be enough to lose it's recommended status. People also complain about the brakes, transmission, fit and finish, etc.

I still think the RDX is a pretty good car but ignoring these issues is just foolish. If Acura can get some of the issues ironed out by the time the 2020 is released, it's a home run.
Old 03-01-2019 | 09:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skarface
If the infotainment system is glitchy enough to not turn off and run down the battery to the point the car won't start, then that should be enough to lose it's recommended status. People also complain about the brakes, transmission, fit and finish, etc.

I still think the RDX is a pretty good car but ignoring these issues is just foolish. If Acura can get some of the issues ironed out by the time the 2020 is released, it's a home run.
No argument from me on what you stated above. Maybe I am blessed in that I have no brake issues, no tranny issues, no infotainment issues and the fit and finish is excellent and I am a very picky and anal engineer. I now have 6K miles on her after 6 months of ownership and never taken to the shop once. I know there are several others out there like me but I agree that those having issues need to be taken care of quickly and without hesitation.
Old 03-01-2019 | 09:59 PM
Racer

No argument from me on what you stated above. Maybe I am blessed in that I have no brake issues, no tranny issues, no infotainment issues and the fit and finish is excellent and I am a very picky and anal engineer. I now have 6K miles on her after 6 months of ownership and never taken to the shop once. I know there are several others out there like me but I agree that those having issues need to be taken care of quickly and without hesitation.
I would expect a vast majority to be like yours with no issues. The problem is to be average in Consumer Reports eyes, they show that the average car has less than a 1% 'issue' rate in the 17 categories that they survey. We probably have a good chunk of that 1% just on this forum so it's probably much higher with the RDX. Apparently, the average car is pretty much issue free early in its life nowadays. A problem like your RDX not starting and requiring you to call roadside assistance or missing an exit because the infotainment system rebooted on your roadtrip is probably something you will remember when filling out a survey.
Old 03-02-2019 | 12:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, everyone got together to complain to Consumer Reports in a scheme to get them to report the same problems people mention in this forum and lead to the RDX no longer being recommended. It's a vast conspiracy to make Acura look bad...lol
LoL, ya we all subscribed to CR just to fake a report on RDX reliability. Gotta jump on the bandwagon, you know.

@securityguy
​​​​​​
​​​​​​Seriously tho, what are we talking about here? Is concern for the brand's reliability a problem? We are all here cause we love the brand and the new RDX, hoping it would only get better and more reliable. I don't think anyone is trolling here. In fact I see more trolling on folks who reports issues. It's not like we are calling your children ugly or your personal, trouble free RDX a flop, nothing personal here, just observations, logic, support and CR reports.....

Last edited by acuraada; 03-02-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2019 | 07:54 AM
Advanced

Do what I did with a Nissan Altima that was a fresh re-design in 2013 that had multiple issues after delivery. Believe it of not, the BBB has an automobile division that opens specific cases against manufacturers which can be found on their website. In my case, after 3 months of trying to get Nissan (the dealer & corporate) to fix the issues with no success the BBB opened up a "case" on my behalf........within a couple of weeks after the case was opened, Nissan of North America contacted me by email AND phone instructing me to bring my car into a specific dealer where a "technician" would be sent out to fix/install/change out the several parts to fix my issues........AND THEY REALLY DID!

So, if you're at wits end, try doing what I did and contact the BBB's automobile division and submit a claim.
Old 03-05-2019 | 10:59 AM
Advanced

As the CR panel stated recently on its YouTube vlog, vehicles today, regardless of make or model, are extremely reliable and dependable compared to 20-25 years ago. Their recommendations are for their average reader, who keep their cars for 8-10 years and have to deal with post warranty issues. Sure, they’re doing a lot of speculating, but their track record is excellent. Any vehicle that has a major flaw in its software (my opinion) from the get go that will cause the vehicle to go into limp mode at WOT at Interstate speeds should not be recommended under any conditions. Assuming all the 2019 RDXs have the same software, then regardless of glowing reviews, your RDX has the potential of killing you, or others. AHM needs to step up and admit there is a problem. The 2019 RDX had been in development for years, as I assume was the all new turbo I-4 in the RDX. Somehow, this bug was not found in simulated, or real world testing, but it’s real and not going away. A settlement and a NDA is not what I want my family to have to deal with if my RDX seriously injures, or kills me because of something that can be fixed if they want it to be.
dukeh62 (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019 | 11:06 AM
Advanced

Do what I did with a Nissan Altima that was a fresh re-design in 2013 that had multiple issues after delivery. Believe it of not, the BBB has an automobile division that opens specific cases against manufacturers which can be found on their website. In my case, after 3 months of trying to get Nissan (the dealer & corporate) to fix the issues with no success the BBB opened up a "case" on my behalf........within a couple of weeks after the case was opened, Nissan of North America contacted me by email AND phone instructing me to bring my car into a specific dealer where a "technician" would be sent out to fix/install/change out the several parts to fix my issues........AND THEY REALLY DID!

So, if you're at wits end, try doing what I did and contact the BBB's automobile division and submit a claim.
Thanks for the info and I will file a complaint, or whatever they call it.
Old 03-05-2019 | 01:10 PM
Advanced

I’m still dealing with a lawsuit with Acura now for the limp mode issue. If I don’t win... the car is being traded in ASAP. I don’t take the car on long trips because of the issue.

Bravo to you for getting rid of it!
Old 03-05-2019 | 06:16 PM
Cruisin'

What did they pay you for the RDX?
Sorry for my late response, this site doesn't work very well on my iPhone so I have to access via a regular PC when I'm not too busy and am able to take a break at work.
They ended up giving me $39,5K but since Acura and Honda are both owned by the same Dealership company I didn't have to wait for my reimbursement check for the GAP Coverage / Extended Warranty, they just allowed me to take that "virtual money" and use it as a $2500 down payment. So I guess technically, in the end, I got $42K. I paid a lot more for it so obviously have negative equity.

It took me a long time to save up for an Acura and this is why it hurts so much. I finally was able to get to a payment I could afford and now it was all for nothing.
I know I lost thousands of dollars, but like someone else had mentioned my life really isn't worth it.
The issues I had driving on the Interstate were scary and I just can't have that happen again.

Last edited by EvaB; 03-05-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2019 | 07:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2019RDX

Thanks for the info and I will file a complaint, or whatever they call it.
Tried to file a complaint, but the BBB told me I couldn’t in the state I bought the RDX in. Crazy.
Old 03-06-2019 | 10:15 AM
Advanced

In that case I would contact your state Attorney General's Office. Typically that's the state office that deals with automobile issues. Having said that, I question why the BBB told you what they did. I'd ask them for a more detailed reason and perhaps ask for someone higher up the "ladder" such as a supervisor, to get a better answer.

Good luck....keep us posted.

R
Old 03-06-2019 | 12:20 PM
Racer

To those saying never buy a redesign...let's see, I bought the TSX in 2009 redesign, TLX when it first came out, and now the 19 RDX. Not a single issue. Not one abnormal issue out of all that. Like with any car (or anything for that matter)...it comes down to the luck of the draw. If there was such a big issue with the new RDX, Acura would have likely found it in testing. Otherwise, everyone would be complaining about it, which isn't happening. The random issues reported have been a tiny fraction of total sales, within the normal error rate. If you got a bad car made on a Friday, pretty much comes down to tough luck.
Stew4HD (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019 | 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jayb082
To those saying never buy a redesign...let's see, I bought the TSX in 2009 redesign, TLX when it first came out, and now the 19 RDX. Not a single issue. Not one abnormal issue out of all that. Like with any car (or anything for that matter)...it comes down to the luck of the draw. If there was such a big issue with the new RDX, Acura would have likely found it in testing. Otherwise, everyone would be complaining about it, which isn't happening. The random issues reported have been a tiny fraction of total sales, within the normal error rate. If you got a bad car made on a Friday, pretty much comes down to tough luck.
As in most things, only the squeaky wheel gets the oil (attention). We rarely see a thread stating that an owner's RDX is great and trouble free. All it takes is several owners with problems to make it appear as if the car is a lemon to casual viewers or those looking to buy.

I had transmission issues with the '15 TLX.. enough so that I got rid of it and was costly to do so. My RDX is pretty much trouble free except for some audio playback issues using the USB.
Old 03-08-2019 | 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Very well said and I couldn’t agree more!
Old 03-09-2019 | 12:42 PM
Advanced

I’m glad to hear you haven’t had problem one with your RDX. The tread in “Problems and Fixes” about the RDX going into limp mode was started in July of 2018. Going into limp mode is a BIG ISSUE. To get a grasp on those of us who have experienced it, just go out on I-75 near your stated place of residence with an almost empty tank of gas during the busiest traffic time of the day going 75+ mph with semis behind and next to you and wait for the car to stall. If you don’t have a panic attack, or worse, I’ll concede it’s not a big issue as you contend.

Last edited by 2019RDX; 03-09-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2019 | 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

And here we go again.

Enjoy your problem free RDX!

Old 03-11-2019 | 10:35 AM
Instructor

Still enjoying my trouble-free '19 RDX Advance after 7 months of ownership.
securityguy (03-19-2019)
Old 03-11-2019 | 11:58 AM
Racer

Pretty amazing to have no issues with that early of a build when Acura put out OnePack videos describing numerous known issues with the early builds. You should play the lotto lol.
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...videos-970758/
Old 03-16-2019 | 10:28 PM
Intermediate

Problem is basically that build quality is inconsistent in Accura (and Honda. From 2013 -2018 it was the transmissions, brakes..etc in the RDX. If you purchased a good one you were lucky. It certainly doesn't mean the unfortunate buyers are overreacting! Spent 2 years trying to get Acura to solve my transmission shudder problem. They refuse to fix the problem because they had no fix.
Old 03-18-2019 | 08:30 PM
Intermediate

"Also it looks like the Dealership cleaned up the RDX and already listed it on their page, I guess I'm not surprised by how much they want for it:
https://www.leithacura.com/used-Rale...TC1H75KL003572"
Acura Certified, Excellent Condition AND MORE !!! Fantastic deal ! What could be wrong with this RDX, it's Acura!.

Quick Reply: I Gave Up On My RDX