Brake hold would not turn off

Old 09-21-2018, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Brake hold would not turn off

I don't normally use the brake hold feature, but today I had it on. I pulled into a car wash today, put it in neutral, and thought I turned off brake hold. The parking brake was not on. *Thunk* from the car wash. Again. Again. Attendant is getting mad and shuts the wash down like I"m an idiot. Brake hold was still on and pushing the button had no effect. I had to finally turn off the car and back on, and finally brake hold was off. *Thunk*. NOW the parking brake was engaged, which it was not before. Obviously something was wrong. I did not receive a "Brake Hold System Problem" message.

Just before the wash, I had to take a 15 minute call. I sat in the lot for that time, with the car running. Then I drove to the wash. The manual says that after 10 minutes the parking brake is engaged and the brake hold feature is turned off. It seems like this did not happen as intended, and instead brake hold got stuck on and the parking brake did not engage, until later at the wash.

This was very frustrating. If you use brake hold, make sure it is off before you pull up to the wash in case it gets stuck like this.

I might try to reproduce this sometime.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 RDX SHAWD Tech. Three weeks old now. First car wash yesterday. Took great care to set Auto Start/Stop to OFF, the Brake Hold button to OFF, and then held "N" for a few seconds with the car fully stopped. All went well. At the end when exiting the car wash tunnel, had to take care that I press the "P" first (again ensuring the vehicle is fully stopped), and then "D" as normal.
I did not have to leave the car though. And made a mental note to not take the car to places where I'm required to get off and the attendants operate the car. Not sure how this can be done when giving the car for detailing - the car is very new and so will need to address that question some time in the future. Will watch for posts on this site.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Check out page 422 of the Owner's Manual.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:53 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by vvraman
2019 RDX SHAWD Tech. Three weeks old now. First car wash yesterday. Took great care to set Auto Start/Stop to OFF, the Brake Hold button to OFF, and then held "N" for a few seconds with the car fully stopped. All went well. At the end when exiting the car wash tunnel, had to take care that I press the "P" first (again ensuring the vehicle is fully stopped), and then "D" as normal.
I did not have to leave the car though. And made a mental note to not take the car to places where I'm required to get off and the attendants operate the car. Not sure how this can be done when giving the car for detailing - the car is very new and so will need to address that question some time in the future. Will watch for posts on this site.
Perhaps you are over thinking it?
I frequently take my RDX to a car wash where the attendant guides it to the beginning of the car wash tunnel and then the car goes thru without a driver, and comes out at the other end without drama. I suspect they leave the engine on and the trans in neutral, but I'm not sure. The only thing I do to "prep" is turn off the rain sensing wipers. (But I think they know to do this anyway) I'm likely to go there today and will take notice and ask and report back.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vvraman
And made a mental note to not take the car to places where I'm required to get off and the attendants operate the car. Not sure how this can be done when giving the car for detailing - the car is very new and so will need to address that question some time in the future. Will watch for posts on this site.
The attendants at a wash where they operate the car for you spend all day, every day, handling every make and model out there. They see countless Acuras and Hondas (2018+ Accord) that work just like yours every day. You have no need to be worried about the attendants doing the right thing.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (05-25-2019)