2019 RDX soft brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 06:32 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Scheduled mine for next week. Can’t wait to get it done with all the positive feedbacks. Brakes pedal travels too far for my taste.
The following users liked this post:
Marty790 (07-29-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 09:15 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I see from the TSB section that this particular TSB (TSB 19-022) been pulled temporarily. I wonder why?

Last edited by JB in AZ; 05-25-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I see from the TSB section that this particular TSB (TSB 19-022) been pulled temporarily. I wonder why?
Yeah, I noticed that. I had mine done 2 weeks ago, and now wonder what the broken with this fix.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Just had mine done a few days ago
, definitely an improvement, but not earth-shattering.

Before when pressing my pedal it went something like: dead zone —> mushy zone —> brakes engage. After the update the process is about the same but the mushy zone is now gone.

It’s a nice improvement, basically how it should have been, but I’d still prefer a shorter dead zone and grabbier brakes. Hopefully EBC releases some decent pads soon.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:08 PM
Drifting

Bringing this back to the top. The TSB was retracted, then re-issued weeks later with different EEB software. Has anyone had the newest software installed? Wondering what they changed and if brake feel is any different.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
I’d like to know that as well as I was going to wait until my next oil change to get the updated software.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
brake pedal TSB -- have you had it applied?

Have you had TSB 19-022 applied?

It is a software update to improve brake pedal feel.

If you have had it applied, can you comment on whether or not you like it and how it changed the feel?

In my experience, I find myself having to stomp on the pedal a bit more than I would like in order to get it to respond the way I would expect. When I tap the pedal in a way that is more natural for me, I feel like the car isn't really responding to my input.

Last edited by EE4Life; 07-23-2019 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Removed TSB link. Merged thread
Old 07-22-2019, 11:53 PM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
Is there a Canadian version of this TSB?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:56 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
There is a revised TSB, and presumably revised software.

I had the first version applied early May, and I'm relatively neutral on the result.

I wonder what's different with the revision. I don't have any other service due, and it's hard to justify taking it in just for the 0.2 hour software update.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:57 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
It's called a TSB-A, eh.

Last edited by Wander; 07-23-2019 at 12:01 AM.
blexann (07-23-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 11:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by anoop
Have you had TSB 19-022 applied?

It is a software update to improve brake pedal feel.

If you have had it applied, can you comment on whether or not you like it and how it changed the feel?

In my experience, I find myself having to stomp on the pedal a bit more than I would like in order to get it to respond the way I would expect. When I tap the pedal in a way that is more natural for me, I feel like the car isn't really responding to my input.
I had this applied a couple of months ago, and was pleased with the improvement of brake pedal feel

Then they pulled the TSB, waited a few weeks, and now have a different updated software. There's another thread here about it but I am too tired at the moment to find it. I have an appointment 8/1 for oil change and to get the newest EBB software installed.

I'd like to know what was wrong with the first update and what changed for this one.

Last edited by EE4Life; 07-23-2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Removed TSB link. Merged thread
Old 07-22-2019, 11:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by supafamous
I got it from here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...letins-970256/

You could PM (private message) @EE4Life and ask.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Had the updated/revised TSB performed. Much better than the original version of this TSB! Brakes now feel very similar to the 2020 RDX that I had as a loaner while I had a hitch installed. That's another story for another thread.
JB in AZ (07-31-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Audi2Acura
Had the updated/revised TSB performed. Much better than the original version of this TSB! Brakes now feel very similar to the 2020 RDX that I had as a loaner while I had a hitch installed. That's another story for another thread.
Thanks for the feedback. I plan to take mine in for an update as well. Glad to hear the brakes feel is much improved.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will have it applied the next time I take my car in.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Audi2Acura
Good to hear! And I also thank you for the post with your feedback.

I had to reschedule my service appointment from 8/1 to 8/16, so I will also post my feedback at that time.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:01 PM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just got my car back from the dealer for the update, can confirm the brake pedal feels much improved. Definitely recommend getting this done if your VIN is within range.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:14 AM
Drifting

I had the update to the first TSB (19-022) done last Thursday, and as far as I can tell, it is a slight improvement of brake pedal feel from the first TSB. Not as significant of an improvement as the first one.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:26 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Agree with all. I had the second TSB done (not the first) and it's better. Not sure in general how great the brakes/rotors are in general. When I had my winter tires removed I noticed how small the rotors are
(much smaller than our other vehicles) so don't what effect that may have on braking or the pads themselves. I know our BMW's and Land Rovers have or had much larger rotors, and the pads seemed much softer and grippier. Of course, they also throw off a ton more brake dust and don't have a huge lifespan.
Unrelated note, just had second (in 10 months) infotainment hiccup. Looked at screen and saw a 'no radio available' message. I just hit the home button and went back to FM radio and all was fine.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

My VIN is within range, but the dealer service dept is not willing to apply anything. They say the car tests out fine according to them. Is there anything I can do to convince them to apply it?
Old 08-26-2019, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My VIN is within range, but the dealer service dept is not willing to apply anything. They say the car tests out fine according to them. Is there anything I can do to convince them to apply it?
That’s messed up. Not sure how you pitched it but some dealerships need you to present an issue (in this case a brake issue you identified, i.e. soft brake feel/pedals) while requesting to see if there have been any relatable TSBs to rectify the issue, as opposed to just asking to have it done. They know it’s posted online and they are trying to keep people from just coming in to get it done. To them, It takes up valuable service time where they could otherwise be charging people for other appointments. TSBs aren’t considered necessary safety fixes in their eyes. I recommend taking it to another dealer, noting an issue, if you have one in your area.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:44 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Interesting comment. I had the TSB in my hand when I went to make an appointment for the 'A' service and the dealer seemed very unwilling to do it, despite the VIN being within range also. I complained and said I wanted it done. They really seemed like they had never seen a TSB before or something. Oil and filter were changed...and they said they did the TSB...did they?...who knows. The peddle feel does seem better I think, but as I don't drive it that much I couldn't swear to how much. But for a dealer to not do a TSB...???? I wish Acura had better complaint escalation processes, but like so many big companies, the higher-ups keep themselves well hidden behind giant walls. I had a big problem with AmEx a few years ago and luckily found the email address of the CEO somewhere online. I wrote an email, expecting nothing, and within two hours got a call from the CEO's office...and problem resolved. I was kinda shocked.
Anyway.... I would push them and if they refuse...look for an email address online of someone in charge of Acura America or whatever it is called. My tolerance of companies that don't listen to customers is low and the dealer is of course your only face-to-face. My first experience with Acura/Honda has been interesting. I love driving the car, reminds me of a BMW 3 in handling that I had once, but I can't say this seems to be a company that is effectively dealing with issues (infotainment, limp modes, Android Auto and so on).
Old 08-26-2019, 06:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. He said he'd have the tech check it once again. The car was taken in to complete the new expansion valve/whistling noise TSB.

I know I can try Acura customer service and see if that helps, but it would involve taking the car in again. They allow you to wait for oil changes but not for warranty work; warranty work requires the whole loaner/rental song and dance. A loaner is not so bad, a rental is a pain.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:52 PM
Drifting

My dealer had no issues applying the TSB, then the updated one as well. I told them the brakes had a very soft pedal and mentioned that I had seen a TSB online that provided updated software for the EBB, and provided the #. These were my first and second times in their service dept, so no favoritism from being a previous customer. The first update made a difference in the brake pedal feel, and the second one made it even better.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
My dealer had no issues applying the TSB, then the updated one as well. I told them the brakes had a very soft pedal and mentioned that I had seen a TSB online that provided updated software for the EBB, and provided the #.
This is how I handled it as well, except that I didn't provide a number. Tomorrow, I will send him a link to the TSB via text if he says it has not yet been applied.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I got a call this morning from the SA saying the tech was able to validate this issue, they found a TSB that would fix it, and they have applied it. The pedal feel is night-and-day better. I would tend to do panic stops with the previous pedal feel first applying pressure too lightly and then being forced to push down very hard. Now it's much more as I would expect.
GW208 (08-27-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 11:59 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm a little bit confused. I have Advance made in 8/19 with VIN in TSB range, but brakes were and are perfect. In fact these brakes are the best of all cars I had so far. They start gripping softly at high position of the pedal, engaging hard with more pressure. I'm very sensitive to weak brakes or low brake pedal, since I had few cars like that, but RDX is different. Is it possible that even within specified VIN range only some vehicles had this problem? I don't mind going to dealership, but they say "if ain't broke don't fix it".
Old 08-31-2019, 12:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jerzy
I'm a little bit confused. I have Advance made in 8/19 with VIN in TSB range, but brakes were and are perfect. In fact these brakes are the best of all cars I had so far. They start gripping softly at high position of the pedal, engaging hard with more pressure. I'm very sensitive to weak brakes or low brake pedal, since I had few cars like that, but RDX is different. Is it possible that even within specified VIN range only some vehicles had this problem? I don't mind going to dealership, but they say "if ain't broke don't fix it".
If you are happy with the existing behavior then stick with it. With the update, there’s quite a bit more bite with a light tap of the pedal. Personally, I prefer the updated one.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:20 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If you are happy with the existing behavior then stick with it. With the update, there’s quite a bit more bite with a light tap of the pedal. Personally, I prefer the updated one.
Thank you. I'll keep eye on it.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:22 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jerzy
If your RDX was built 8/19, then it likely already has the updated EBB (Electronic Brake Booster) software, as the first TSB which updated the original software was dated May 2019.

With that said, don't mess with it if you are happy with the brake feel. That is all the software update alters.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Savage Geese (YouTube car reviewer) mentions that Honda messed up by requiring too much effort to stop the car. FYI
Old 10-05-2019, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
I got this update done and the change to the brake pedal is so much better. It took me awhile to get used to the original feel and would sometimes have sudden stops. Like someone described it, there is a mushy zone where the brakes felt like it did nothing and then a little more pressure suddenly engaged the brakes.
The brakes now feel more consistent and fluid while applying pressure to the brake pedal. I am very happy with the update.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 261 Posts
Like others mentioned, the update considerably shortens the pedal travel. The engagement point is easily 50% shorter than before. Otherwise, I feel the brake is similar than before.

One benefit brought by the change, if you do trail braking, is the weight transfer from braking matches the turn in better.

The downside is the idle stop engagement point is also changed, so becomes harder to brake normally without triggering idle stop. But I probably just need more time to recalibrate my muscle memory...
Old 10-11-2019, 02:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Car drives better after TSB update

My car was built in late 2019 and qualified for 19-022 "Soft brake pedal" TSB. Drivingt away from the dealership after applying the TSB, I noticed a few differences that make the car feel more refined. I knew they could be placebo effect, so I waited a few days before I convinced myself about the changes.

Before I go deeper, I know I am opening a can of worms. The reason is that I don't know if dealership update other SW, in addition to the EBB SW specified in the TSV. So as I stated, can be placebo effect. And I am sure that is the response I will get, because the changes are too good to be true. But anyway I just say what I feel. If they are wrong, so be it.

The differences are below, ranking from high to low certainty:

1. Less ANC piped-in engine sound
I use Sport mode most of the time, and the piped-in engine sound in Sports mode was constantly presented as long as the car is not in idle.

Now, driving normally under 1.5k rpm, the piped-in noise is practically gone. The sound level is similar to the old Comfort mode, and only gets louder near and above 2k, or when throttle is applied quickly.

2. Less steering wheel power assist

The steering feedback is tighter and more precise. I think the change here is that the power assist for small movements is reduced. The heavier weight is most noticeable in Sport+. This gives more "texture" in the feedback, and also means keeping the car in a straight line without looking is easier than before.

3. Less understeer tendency during turn-in

I am not so sure about this one. One reason I can think of is the earlier brake engagement point from the TSB. I do trail braking, so to me the weight transfer from braking now matches the turn-in phase better. But I do feel even without braking, the car turns in more eagerly. Maybe the AHA (brake torquing) system was clibrated to the shorter travel, so now it works better?

4. Better throttle response and less throttle lag

This one I am also less sure, because I know I am easily fooled by sound. But I feel the lag is cut in half, and the transition from non-boosted to turbo is also smoother. Overall the powertrain seems more eager to build boost. With the current response, I might shelf the idea of getting Hondata...

Most of the changes are small and more like refinement that only owner will notice, but together they make the driving experience more cohesive. Where before the car can feel like a symphony without a conductor, now every component plays in the same beat.

For skeptical 2019 owner, I suggest test driving a 2020 when you have a chance. I would guess the SW changes are in 2020 RDX.
The following 4 users liked this post by sonyfever:
Funz51 (10-30-2019), mdnichols (10-11-2019), Midnight Mystery (10-11-2019), romicva (10-12-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 03:39 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
I don't have a 3G RDX. But I do appreciate all of that detail about the driving dynamics. I wish more people would post in detail about how a car drives.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I too had the TSB done and I did not notice anything other than much, much improved braking! Initial braking was very little with first initial application of the brake prior to the TSB, now there is much more initial braking and it is more linear and much more powerful all around with a lot better feel to the pedal. I had about 12K on my car when someone posted about this TSB and frankly i had become accustomed to how the brakes worked and it no longer bothered me as it did when I first got the car. I wanted to know how much improvement the TSB would make so i told the dealer I had a soft pedal and would like them to implement the TSB. It is a drastic improvement and the brakes now work as they should have in the first place. I highly recommend this TSB to all who's VIN is listed on the TSB.

On a side note, my dealer told me I was the only one that has mentioned a soft pedal or anything about the brakes at all for the RDX. I find that hard to believe but possible I suppose. The mechanical that implemented the TSB took my RDX out and became familiar with the brakes before the TSB, he said it felt normal to him. But after the TSB he was astounded at the improvement as was I.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I had the brake TSB done at my last service. Dealer gave a lot of pushback about wanting to do it. I don’t feel any difference. How can I check to see if they actually did it?
Old 10-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Njbrandon
I had the brake TSB done at my last service. Dealer gave a lot of pushback about wanting to do it. I don’t feel any difference. How can I check to see if they actually did it?
Short of comparing it to another car without it, you'd probably have to take it in to another dealer. But if you dealer gave you paperwork indicating the work was done, it very likely was. If you can prove otherwise, they will be in trouble with Acura.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:02 PM
Drifting

Did you verify that your VIN was within range that the TSB applied to?
Old 10-27-2019, 04:49 PM
Burning Brakes

You need to have HDS diagnosis computer to see the software version for brake booster. But if your VIN is indeed within the range, you should easily notice the difference before/after.

If you suspect dealership did not do the update at all, ask them to show you - hook up the HDS to your car and show you the version number. If the service representative or shop frontman pushes back, you can escalate the issue to Acura customer service.

Dealership can come up with all kinds of excuses on applying TSB, but when the symptom is a 100% match, they should do it at your request. Corporate does care about unhappy customers when the request is reasonable.

Quick Reply: 2019 RDX soft brakes