Dash Cam mount location..

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 04:08 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Dash Cam mount location..

I had dash cam on my previous rdx. mounted behing rear view mirror, now since 19' rdx has some mind of sensor behind rear view mirror, my understanding is on the left side if you're looking it from inside the car, just wondering if it also have sensor on the right side, cause i notice little small hole on the right right side, don't know if that also part on the build in sensor. Just don't want to block sensor when i mount the dash cam. anybody know?
Old 08-19-2018, 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
I certainly would not mount it on the left where it would block that sensor, which I'm fairly certain is part of the auto dimming mirror control. I mounted mine (SG9663DC) in the center of the windshield directly under the camera/sensor housing. Can't be seen from the driving position but still readily accessible and can see the various indicator light by cocking my head to the side a bit.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
I certainly would not mount it on the left where it would block that sensor, which I'm fairly certain is part of the auto dimming mirror control. I mounted mine (SG9663DC) in the center of the windshield directly under the camera/sensor housing. Can't be seen from the driving position but still readily accessible and can see the various indicator light by cocking my head to the side a bit.
yes definitely not on left side, I am thinking of mounting it on the right side, which is ok for me, so you think its ok on the side?, and there's no sensor there?
Old 08-19-2018, 06:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Yotrek
yes definitely not on left side, I am thinking of mounting it on the right side, which is ok for me, so you think its ok on the side?, and there's no sensor there?
I don't see why you shouldn't. I'm a bit OCD about having mine as close to the vehicle center line as possible so it would not be my first choice.

What camera is it?
Old 08-19-2018, 07:41 PM
Racer

I don't see why you shouldn't. I'm a bit OCD about having mine as close to the vehicle center line as possible so it would not be my first choice.

What camera is it?
Thinkware F750, that I have from my previous RDX, I agree with you I also like to mount it right in middle like before still worry if it interfered with the sensor ..
Old 08-19-2018, 08:07 PM
Burning Brakes

IMO you should be fine mounting it so the lens itself is on the center line. The camera body itself would be off to the right away from the sensor.
The following users liked this post:
Yotrek (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 09:40 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Where are you accessing power to run these cameras?
Old 08-20-2018, 06:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs
Where are you accessing power to run these cameras?
I am going to run it up and a long the front part roof liner, and down to left pillar, slip the cable between weather strip, and down to fuse box, use fuse tap, to tap in to appropriate terminal..
Old 08-20-2018, 07:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I mounted mine of the right side of the entire rear-view mirror assembly, then ran the wires across the headliner and down the passenger-side pillar. Since my dashcam (VIOFO A119S) was USB powered, I simply plugged it into the USB charger port on the bottom storage area. Running flawlessly for about 2 weeks now and does not interfere with any of the safety features in the vehicle.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by fr4c
I mounted mine of the right side of the entire rear-view mirror assembly, then ran the wires across the headliner and down the passenger-side pillar. Since my dashcam (VIOFO A119S) was USB powered, I simply plugged it into the USB charger port on the bottom storage area. Running flawlessly for about 2 weeks now and does not interfere with any of the safety features in the vehicle.
So its confirm there's no sensor at all on the right side of rear view mirror, because that is exactly where I am going to mount mine, thanks all.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Racer

Can you upload the pic of dash cam on your car, if its not to much trouble, so I can see exactly where you mounted on the windshield, thanks.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Can you upload the pic of dash cam on your car, if its not to much trouble, so I can see exactly where you mounted on the windshield, thanks.
Sorry for the delay, was traveling. Hope the attached picture helps.

paste image host
The following users liked this post:
oz13ms (07-17-2019)
Old 08-23-2018, 03:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fr4c
Sorry for the delay, was traveling. Hope the attached picture helps.

paste image host
Hey thanks for posting the picture.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yotrek:
DMV703 (05-02-2021), Padre Dave (04-30-2021)
Old 08-23-2018, 03:58 PM
Racer

That's where I am thinking to mount my dash cam, that's why if there's no sensor on the right side of the rear view mirror.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:09 PM
Burning Brakes

That's where I am thinking to mount my dash cam,...
Here's where I mounted my SG9663DC, center of the windshield directly behind the RVM - it's almost exactly the same size as the Viofo. Sorry about the last two, camera decided to focus independently of where I intended.

Exterior - Head On
---------------------------------------------------

Exterior - Left Front
-----------------------------------------------

Interior - Left
----------------------------------------------

Interior from driver position
--------------------------------------------

Old 08-28-2018, 10:18 AM
Racer

This won't interfered with RVM? cause I think there's a sensor on the left side and right side (if looking from interior)
Old 08-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

This won't interfered with RVM? cause I think there's a sensor on the left side and right side (if looking from interior)
It's mounted directly in front of the center of the RVM. Sensor on the driver side (probably for the auto dim feature) is totally clear as is the passenger side. I don't know what the small hole on the passenger side is but it looks to be just that - a small hole. I'm guessing it's for air venting, it's too small for any type of automotive sensor I'm aware of. I thought it might be for a microphone but that's located in the sensor housing proper.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:57 AM
Racer

It's mounted directly in front of the center of the RVM. Sensor on the driver side (probably for the auto dim feature) is totally clear as is the passenger side. I don't know what the small hole on the passenger side is but it looks to be just that - a small hole. I'm guessing it's for air venting, it's too small for any type of automotive sensor I'm aware of. I thought it might be for a microphone but that's located in the sensor housing proper.
I did some experiment by blocking the passenger side RVM, I found out right a way that when using Navigation it actually giving me a wrong direction, so if my home right direction is toward North, by blocking it, it direct me to opposite direction which is South, but soon as I removed the cover Navigation work properly..at first I thoughts what the hell..
Old 08-28-2018, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

I did some experiment by blocking the passenger side RVM, I found out right a way that when using Navigation it actually giving me a wrong direction, so if my home right direction is toward North, by blocking it, it direct me to opposite direction which is South, but soon as I removed the cover Navigation work properly..at first I thoughts what the hell..
That makes no sense at all unless there's a compass in the mirror or sensor housing close by and you blocked it with something that causes magnetic interference. In my case where I have the camera and GPS antenna mounted hasn't caused any abnormal operation that I've been able to detect.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:41 PM
Racer

That makes no sense at all unless there's a compass in the mirror or sensor housing close by and you blocked it with something that causes magnetic interference. In my case where I have the camera and GPS antenna mounted hasn't caused any abnormal operation that I've been able to detect.
I know it doesn't make sense, but what I did is cover the half side behind RVM (passenger side) with piece of paper hold it using transparent tape..
Old 08-28-2018, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Well that certainly would not create any magnetic interference. I'll have to try the same next time I'm out and see what happens.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

I know it doesn't make sense, but what I did is cover the half side behind RVM (passenger side) with piece of paper hold it using transparent tape..
Whatever caused your issue must be unique to your vehicle or something specific you're doing.

I just made a couple of trips with the entire front of the passenger side RVM covered and had no issues. Navigation worked, auto dim worked - even deviated from the route and the system recalculated a new one as it always has. Set a new destination while in route to the original and that worked as it should. All visual and audio turn directions were correct.

Don't know what else to say about this.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:48 PM
Racer

Whatever caused your issue must be unique to your vehicle or something specific you're doing.

I just made a couple of trips with the entire front of the passenger side RVM covered and had no issues. Navigation worked, auto dim worked - even deviated from the route and the system recalculated a new one as it always has. Set a new destination while in route to the original and that worked as it should. All visual and audio turn directions were correct.

Don't know what else to say about this.
Thanks for conforming, yes maybe something else causing it, so in this case it safe to just mounting it in windshield in front of right side RVM then..
Old 08-29-2018, 03:08 PM
Racer

@MI-RDX did you hardwire your dash cam, if yes, which fuse you tap it in to?.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes

@MI-RDX did you hardwire your dash cam, if yes, which fuse you tap it in to?.
Not yet.

I didn't want to do anything that might 'upset' the electronics given the number of people having issues of one sort or another so for the time being I'm just using the 12V accessory outlet or one of the USB ports.

So far I've not had any problems except one of my cameras is a bit particular about it's power supply and won't work reliably using the USB ports for power, but it will work using a 12V to 5V converter. Same camera acts the same way in other vehicles so it's nothing to do with the RDX.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:45 PM
Racer

Not yet.

I didn't want to do anything that might 'upset' the electronics given the number of people having issues of one sort or another so for the time being I'm just using the 12V accessory outlet or one of the USB ports.

So far I've not had any problems except one of my cameras is a bit particular about it's power supply and won't work reliably using the USB ports for power, but it will work using a 12V to 5V converter. Same camera acts the same way in other vehicles so it's nothing to do with the RDX.
Oh ok, so I just use my cigarette lighter plug that come with my dash cam.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
Just traded in my 2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring for a RDX Advance. I removed the dual front/rear Blackvue dash cam set up to install into the RDX. Once the cables and mounting pads I ordered come in, I plan to get it reinstalled. If none of you have ever bought or used the Blackvue brand, it does cost a bit more but well worth the extra dollars. Blackvue and Thinkware are the two best cams on the market and I highly recommend. Have a Blackvue in my Audi too and it's a great piece of equipment.

www.thedashcamstore.com
Old 09-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by securityguy
Just traded in my 2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring for a RDX Advance. I removed the dual front/rear Blackvue dash cam set up to install into the RDX. Once the cables and mounting pads I ordered come in, I plan to get it reinstalled. If none of you have ever bought or used the Blackvue brand, it does cost a bit more but well worth the extra dollars. Blackvue and Thinkware are the two best cams on the market and I highly recommend. Have a Blackvue in my Audi too and it's a great piece of equipment.

www.thedashcamstore.com
agree Blackvue and Thinkware two good names for dash cam, well made..
Old 09-03-2018, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
I am planning on my having my 2-channel Blackvue 750s and PowerMagic Pro installed shortly after picking up my RDX (I can't wait for this Thursday to arrive).
Old 09-03-2018, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I just finished mounting a VIOFO A119S at dead centre in front of the mirror mount as shown above in MI-RDX's post.

I ran the USB cable along the windshield headliner and then stopped to figure out the best path down the passenger side A pillar. I was quite worried about the airbag symbol embossed on the upper A pillar cover and the possibility of an airbag being mounted all along the length of the A pillar. I hooked the top of the cover at the seam and pulled it back a bit and thought it looked like bare metal under the seam so I crossed the air pillar at that point.

Then I ran it down to the pillar under the edge of the black door seal, jinked it over to a crevice that runs along the dashboard edge, and then on top of a kick panel in the passenger foot well.

I'm still a bit tentative about the A pillar airbag location. I've been trying to find a detailed diagram of the RDX's airbag locations.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:44 PM
Burning Brakes

If you remove the A-Pillar cover the airbag is in plain sight. Just be sure to run the wire behind the airbag so that it's fully out of the way in use of a deployment. I have done this on every car I have ever owned when running power for cams and radar detectors when an airbag was in play.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by securityguy
If you remove the A-Pillar cover...
What is the best way to R&R the cover so as to not break any clips, etc.? Pictures would be a help if available.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:52 PM
Burning Brakes

I have yet to do it on an RDX but all "Japanese" type cars are generally the same. I usually peel away the rubber door surround trim and just pull gently until the clips snap out. I really don't imagine it being much different on this vehicle. When my cables come in, I'll tackle this and hope they'll be here before next weekend.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Here you go:

Before you take the A-Pillar trim off, you need to replace the top clip when you're putting it back. Make sure you have that beforehand......

HTH
The following 2 users liked this post by pgeorg:
MI-RDX (09-03-2018), Newsy1904 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 06:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pgeorg
Here you go:

Before you take the A-Pillar trim off, you need to replace the top clip when you're putting it back. Make sure you have that beforehand.....
I never could understand why they engineer a simple R&R procedure to be destructive by design.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
I believe they use this specific clip because of the airbag deployment.

In earlier Hondas-Acuras you used hit the top of the trim where this clip is with a mallet (without much force) to actually brake the clip. You had to replace that one also....
Old 09-04-2018, 02:20 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Can you get that clip from any autoparts supply store or is it a Honda/Acura limited item?

Old 09-04-2018, 05:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Newsy1904
Can you get that clip from any autoparts supply store or is it a Honda/Acura limited item?.
Need to special order from your dealers parts department
Old 09-04-2018, 06:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pgeorg
I believe they use this specific clip because of the airbag deployment.

In earlier Hondas-Acuras you used hit the top of the trim where this clip is with a mallet (without much force) to actually brake the clip. You had to replace that one also....
I think I'm going to live (and die?) dangerously and just tuck the cable in the seam between the A-pillar and headliner. If the air bag deploys with sufficient force to break the clip(s), displace both the A and B (and possibly C?) pillar covers and the headliner itself I doubt the little added resistance from a cable held in place by the weather seal is going to adversely affect performance.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:19 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
I think I'm going to live (and die?) dangerously and just tuck the cable in the seam between the A-pillar and headliner. If the air bag deploys with sufficient force to break the clip(s), displace both the A and B (and possibly C?) pillar covers and the headliner itself I doubt the little added resistance from a cable held in place by the weather seal is going to adversely affect performance.
+1

I installed my dashcam in my previous car which also has side curtain airbags. There was no need to remove the A-pillar trim pieces when running the cabling. The "difficult" part of the installation was the routing of the cable for the rear camera, which is the reason why I am having it professionally installed this time around.

Quick Reply: Dash Cam mount location..