Will Acura enhance 3G electronics

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:14 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Will Acura enhance 3G electronics

I work in software and I’m used to it always getting better. For some reason, other than Tesla, car companies never seem to think like that except for the next year’s model. Anybody know if Acura has said if they expect to make changes to the electronics software other than bug fixes? If this is their flagship redesigned system it’d be great if they kept improving it (although I will say i am quite pleased with it). I’d love to see at least some small improvements such as a digital speedometer as a cycle option on screen behind steering wheel, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Mark S Long Island (11-21-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 10:31 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin Whooten
I work in software and I’m used to it always getting better. For some reason, other than Tesla, car companies never seem to think like that except for the next year’s model. Anybody know if Acura has said if they expect to make changes to the electronics software other than bug fixes? If this is their flagship redesigned system it’d be great if they kept improving it (although I will say i am quite pleased with it). I’d love to see at least some small improvements such as a digital speedometer as a cycle option on screen behind steering wheel, etc.
Agreed! There have been mentions of over-the-air (OTA) software update capabilities. I hope they use this feature to make meaningful changes.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:16 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Does the Acura 2019 RDX support System Updates? If so how do you update?
Currently there is a Menu item that is called "System Update" if my memory is correct.
Has anyone used it yet. A couple of times it has had an "orange #1" beside the menu item, but when I went to it, not much happened.

Comments?
Old 10-16-2018, 10:11 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
In the original press release for introduction of 2019 RDX, it was claimed that Android Auto would be added in an update to the infotainment system.

There is a mechanism for over-the-air updates via WiFi, and I have had a couple of teaser notifications on the infotainment system, but no update has actually been available. Allegedly, updates can be applied via USB as well, after downloading the update from Acura's servers. I have tried that as well, and nothing is available.

How frequently we can expect updates to existing vehicles ( after this promised initial update ), is unknown. My guess is they will be infrequent.

In addition, there is a similar mechanism for updating the maps on the Nav system via USB, after downloading the update from HERE. This is separate from software updates. There was briefly available a map update a few months ago, and I successfully applied it. The update was pulled after it was discovered here were some bugs in the delivery mechanism, and apparently the customer service reps at HERE and ACURA were nowhere near up-to-speed on it. As in clueless. Dunno if it's back up, and I shouldn't get notified since I have the update applied. But these map updates are supposed to be available, at no cost, every quarter for 5 years. After that, there will be some kind of subscription plan for map updates.
DHood (10-16-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 11:20 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by cm2021
Agreed! There have been mentions of over-the-air (OTA) software update capabilities. I hope they use this feature to make meaningful changes.
I would guess that the PDF user manual available online is the closest thing we have to a design document as to how things are supposed to work. Updates should address bugs that keep the software from always acting as the PDF document says it should. A new release of software matching a new version of the PDF manual containing enhancements could be possible unless Acura wants to keep a differentiation between model years on function such as the digital speedometer on the console. Anyone's guess but I would like them to focus their resources in making what we have work consistently before tackling new design changes in the field and introducing new bugs.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gtssenior
I would guess that the PDF user manual available online is the closest thing we have to a design document as to how things are supposed to work. Updates should address bugs that keep the software from always acting as the PDF document says it should. A new release of software matching a new version of the PDF manual containing enhancements could be possible unless Acura wants to keep a differentiation between model years on function such as the digital speedometer on the console. Anyone's guess but I would like them to focus their resources in making what we have work consistently before tackling new design changes in the field and introducing new bugs.
I wonder if there are updates that some don’t have. When I looked at my car, it had an “updated available” message. When I picked it up, it was gone. I’ve only had it for a few weeks, but I haven’t really seen any of the bugs people are talking about. Maybe I’m just lucky? I’m confident that I would have noticed them if they had happened, but generally it’s been working well (famous last words).
Old 10-18-2018, 09:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gtssenior
For better or worse, I think you need not worry that rapid change will be foisted upon you unbidden. I think updates will be released at a glacial pace ( if at all ), they will be voluntary, and I don't expect any earth-shattering feature introductions. But IMO there is plenty of opportunity to fine-tune the user interface. And it's not entirely clear to me how Acura intended some features to function. ( Zooming the Nav display, for instance ). It's difficult to distinguish between a "bug" and an "intended feature that got forgotten", if you don't know what features were intended to be present. This comes back to the "collaborative" programming exercise between Acura and HERE. Maybe they aren't always on the same page?

Anyway, there is precedent for infotainment feature changes to Acura product "in the field". 2015 MDX had a "customer satisfaction campaign" update to the infotainment system. It added more sophisticated ( not completely useless ) voice recognition for the Nav system amongst other things. Sadly, our 2014 MDX Tech was not eligible. ( And its Nav still sucks! )

The hard-copy Owner's Guide that was supplied with the vehicle is pretty skimpy on detail as to how the infotainment system is supposed to function. As you note, the downloadable Owner's Manual and Navigation Manual are amenable to change. I'm kinda hoping they get changed a little bit for our "in-the-field" vehicles.

Digital speedometer? Are you referring to the one on the HUD? ( If so equipped ) Or associated with the ACC ( adaptive cruise control) ?
Old 10-19-2018, 05:42 AM
Advanced

Digital speedometer? Are you referring to the one on the HUD? ( If so equipped ) Or associated with the ACC ( adaptive cruise control) ?
I don’t have a HUD (I own Tech). So yes, my current speed at any given moment.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Colin Whooten
I’d love to see at least some small improvements such as a digital speedometer as a cycle option on screen behind steering wheel, etc.
I guess it might help if I read the original post. When I'm awake.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by DHood
Does the Acura 2019 RDX support System Updates? If so how do you update?
Currently there is a Menu item that is called "System Update" if my memory is correct.
Has anyone used it yet. A couple of times it has had an "orange #1" beside the menu item, but when I went to it, not much happened.

Comments?
You need to connect your vehicle to the WiFi network in your home or link it to your smart phone. Mine automatically connects to my house network when I pull into my driveway each day. Once you have an internet connection, you can attempt a software update to your vehicle. To date, there aren't any available yet.
DHood (10-20-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Electronic quirks, bugs & glitches

I'm new to the Forum & this is my first reply. I too have gotten the teaser System update available on the main screen but when I drilled down it said no update available. As many have shared the new system has many quirks, bugs & glitches. It would be well appreciated if/when Acura address them. Sooner than late!!!
Old 11-21-2018, 11:54 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Infotainment systems have been around in Hondas since the early-2000's. I've been a repeat Honda/Acura buyer since 2006. During that time, no new features or improvements have ever been made available for existing vehicles - only bug fixes to help the system operate as originally intended. Some of the Android-based infotainment systems that Honda have been using for the last several years have an installer app, but it's useless - Honda stated last year that no apps were currently in development or planned to be.

Basically, don't expect any functional changes for existing models. Any functional differences will almost certainly only appear with model year changes.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:57 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73
Infotainment systems have been around in Hondas since the early-2000's. I've been a repeat Honda/Acura buyer since 2006. During that time, no new features or improvements have ever been made available for existing vehicles - only bug fixes to help the system operate as originally intended. Some of the Android-based infotainment systems that Honda have been using for the last several years have an installer app, but it's useless - Honda stated last year that no apps were currently in development or planned to be.

Basically, don't expect any functional changes for existing models. Any functional differences will almost certainly only appear with model year changes.
That has also been my experience as a long time Honda owner.

DavidH
Old 11-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Advanced

This is a bummer and pretty lame. Thankfully I have an iPhone because it's looking less and less likely that Android Auto will be making an appearance. Acura's approach here is also why Android Auto/Apple CarPlay are having their lunch....
Old 11-22-2018, 10:47 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
We can only hope that since they went through the effort of including the SYSTEM UPDATE on the Infotainment menu that at some point we'll get an update or two. Those of us who got the car right out of the gate know that there are quite a few deficiencies in the software/firmware that surely could use an update. It would be fairly alienating to their customer base if 2020 came along with a better set of software that was not semi-compatible with the 2019's.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:16 PM
Drifting

This is a bit interesting. Most components of my complimentary AcuraLink subscription are about to expire, so I was digging around in the AcuraLink website trying to decide it it's actually worth paying money for, and I stumbled upon something about "Audio System Software Update". Dunno how long it's been there. 2019 RDX is the only vehicle currently listed as having this capability.

Audio System Software Updates | 2019 Acura RDX | Acura Owners Site

Last edited by Wander; 11-28-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Wander
This is a bit interesting. Most components of my complimentary AcuraLink subscription are about to expire, so I was digging around in the AcuraLink website trying to decide it it's actually worth paying money for, and I stumbled upon something about "Audio System Software Update". Dunno how long it's been there. 2019 RDX is the only vehicle currently listed as having this capability.

Audio System Software Updates | 2019 Acura RDX | Acura Owners Site
The 2019 RDX is the only Acura (so far) that can have its audio unit software updated over Wi-Fi, 4G LTE, or USB by the owner without having to visit a dealership.

Multiple Honda models since 2018 have had this capability including the 2018 Odyssey, 2018 Accord, 2019 Pilot, forthcoming 2019 Passport, and presumably the 2020 Ridgeline.

Subscriptions, Downloads and Updates | Honda Owners Site

These updates are only for the "audio" system (not the instrument panel, engine, transmission, or other systems - those can only be updated at the dealer).
Old 11-28-2018, 05:01 PM
Drifting

The 2019 RDX is the only Acura (so far) that can have its audio unit software updated over Wi-Fi, 4G LTE, or USB by the owner without having to visit a dealership.

Multiple Honda models since 2018 have had this capability including the 2018 Odyssey, 2018 Accord, 2019 Pilot, forthcoming 2019 Passport, and presumably the 2020 Ridgeline.

Subscriptions, Downloads and Updates | Honda Owners Site

These updates are only for the "audio" system (not the instrument panel, engine, transmission, or other systems - those can only be updated at the dealer).
Do we know if any updates have actually been made available for OTA/USB user installation on those Honda models?

IIRC Wi-Fi updating ( NOT cellular ) was claimed to be a feature of my previous 2016 Honda Pilot, but the audio system software update(s) that became available had to be installed by a dealer via USB. Map updates could be applied via USB by the user, and I did so a few times.

Last edited by Wander; 11-28-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Wander
Do we know if any updates have actually been made available for OTA/USB user installation on those Honda models?

IIRC Wi-Fi updating ( NOT cellular ) was claimed to be a feature of my previous 2016 Honda Pilot, but the audio system software update(s) that became available had to be installed by a dealer via USB. Map updates could be applied via USB by the user, and I did so a few times.
Yup. The 2018 Accord has had two updates since it went on sale about a year ago. The first update was to version 18AA-1835-001. The second update was to version 18AA-1863-001. I updated my first 2018 Accord over Wi-Fi. The 2018 Odyssey had a massive update to version B.1.0.16 earlier this year. The 2019's haven't had any updates yet.

My 2017 Ridgeline (same system as the 2016 Pilot) could only be updated by USB via dealer. Map updates, as you said, could be applied via USB at home - I did that twice.

The following 2 users liked this post by zroger73:
billyt1963 (11-29-2018), Wander (11-28-2018)