USB audio and Apple carplay - hub and/or splitter

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020 | 05:39 PM
6th Gear

USB audio and Apple carplay - hub and/or splitter

So when I have my Iphone plugged in to the main USB port under my right hand in the middle console, the Carplay with the apps works OK.

I went to use my USB for music (I do not have music on my Iphone) and plugged the USB into the other USB ports - under the middle console and in the rear seat console. I thought the USB could be read from those ports but it did not read the USB for music.

So the only way to play my USB music is to disconnect my Iphone and not use any of the apps and instead use my USB for music. Very disappointing.

So my question is if I get a USB hub/splitter so I can still have my Iphone in use and also have the USB plugged in, is there any special hub or splitter I need for both of them to work concurrently? Amazon has many for sale but not sure if there is a special one that I should buy.

Thanks in advance !
The following users liked this post:
JudiDQ (01-13-2023)
Old 01-05-2020 | 07:05 PM
Pro

There is already a thread on this topic. You cannot use a USB Hub/Splitter in the RDX. There is no way around it. The USB beside the cup holder is the main USB for the infotainment system. The others are charging only.
Old 01-06-2020 | 07:38 AM
6th Gear

Thanks but any workaround?

Thanks for your response - what are others doing as a workaround? I cannot believe that the main console USB connection can't work with a splitter or hub to have two USB connections.

So my choice is to either liosten to music from my USB drive OR plug my Iphone into the USB port and not have any music also playing? What are the other USB ports to be used for? Only connecting and charging an Iphone for passengers in the car?

Thanks for all of your help....
Old 01-06-2020 | 07:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan J
Thanks for your response - what are others doing as a workaround? I cannot believe that the main console USB connection can't work with a splitter or hub to have two USB connections.

So my choice is to either liosten to music from my USB drive OR plug my Iphone into the USB port and not have any music also playing? What are the other USB ports to be used for? Only connecting and charging an Iphone for passengers in the car?

Thanks for all of your help....
The car recognizes when a splitter or hub is plugged in and won’t allow it to be used. There is a section in the manual that states that a hub or splitter can’t be used. The other ports are charging only. You’ll have to choose which item to plug in. My iPhone has more than enough storage for my music library so I use it as my main source for music.

Nobody has found a workaround for tricking the car to use a hub or splitter.

If you go the Bluetooth route for trying to use both that won’t work either. The car will prioritize the usb connection over the Bluetooth connection. I’ve tried that before. Put your most favorite and listened to songs on your phone.

Last edited by kboo74656; 01-06-2020 at 08:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kboo74656:
JudiDQ (01-13-2023), Padre Dave (01-09-2020)
Old 01-06-2020 | 08:07 AM
6th Gear

Thanks

I was trying to avoid using music files on my Iphone but I guess I will have to just grin and bear it......Very upsetting to hear that Acura hasn't planned for this......uggggghhhhhh....
The following users liked this post:
JudiDQ (01-13-2023)
Old 01-06-2020 | 09:49 AM
Touring

Originally Posted by Dan J
I was trying to avoid using music files on my Iphone but I guess I will have to just grin and bear it......Very upsetting to hear that Acura hasn't planned for this......uggggghhhhhh....
Yeah, Acura could do a lot better at thinking things through. I just rented a Dodge Journey, which did a lot worse job of implementation, so maybe we're lucky??? I suppose it's a personal decision, but I have everything on my phone (Android) to use it as a single device. The music is on the SD card to free up main memory.
Old 01-09-2020 | 08:12 AM
Racer

I use both. If I am making multiple stops I tend toward using the thumb drive music storage to play my music....advantage 5.1 files which my iPhone won’t play. If longer trips I plug my phone in where I have an abbreviated music collection and then I get phone, NAV, and apps. I still have problems with the USB thumb drive in that if I don’t remove the drive from the USB port when I leave the car and start the car with the drive in the USB port, I get a long initialization time and usually get “no attached media” errors. It will even tell me that the thumb drive has no media on it. Totally weird. Solution: next time I start the car make sure thumb drive is NOT in the USB port, wait till I get the blue disclaimer screen and then insert the drive. I get a 10-15 second initialization and the music picks up where it left off when I shut the car off last stop.

I’m kinda quirky, so I have more patience with learning the quirks of this system and finding a way to live with them by honoring them rathe than trying to change them.....works in marriage and even work relationships too.....free pastoral care, with my joy for you reading it’ll.
The following 2 users liked this post by Padre Dave:
MT-RDX (01-09-2020), wmkim (01-09-2020)
Old 02-21-2020 | 03:19 PM
Pro

Found this little nugget in the Developer Diagnostic screen! I enabled it but I don’t have a USB Hub to try it out!