Question about the HUD display...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018 | 06:21 AM
Racer

Question about the HUD display...

Hi guys.

I heard a reviewer say that it's difficult to see the HUD display while wearing polarized sunglasses. Is this true? I am ALWAYS wearing sunglasses during the day (polarized) and I do WAY more daytime driving than night, so this answer is pretty important to me.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-23-2018 | 06:46 AM
Suzuka Master

I see the HUD just fine wearing polarized sunglasses. Granted, it's not as bright as without them or as bright as in the night time. I do have the HUD set as bright as it will go.
Old 08-23-2018 | 07:14 AM
Cruisin'

I have to shift my head to the right just a tad to see the HUD clearly with polarized sunglasses on. HUD will completely disappear if I shift to the left. I have the brightness one step under 1/2. It doesn't bother me.
Old 08-23-2018 | 07:32 AM
Drifting

Test it out yourself with the glasses you wear and the car you might buy.

The HUD is polarized, so depending on how your glasses happen to match up or not, you will or won’t have a problem.

I drove an X3 at a BMW event, and about halfway through the drive I said to myself, gee, this is an event to showcase the car, why no HUD? At the traffic light I took off my glasses, and there it was. I switched to my regular glasses and it stayed showing.

Old 08-23-2018 | 07:45 AM
Racer

Thanks guys. Madd Dog, good idea about testing it with my own sunglasses. I'm on the fence about going with Advance (vs not) and the HUD display is my #1 reason for wanting Advance. If I can't see the display too well I'm not sure that I'll need to go with Advance. Anyway, thanks again.
Old 08-23-2018 | 11:43 AM
Advanced

The HUD is one of the best things about the car by far!! Polarized sunglasses will make it look dimmer but it is still clearly legible.
Old 08-23-2018 | 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

I have multiple pairs of polarized sunglasses and the HUD visibility is different for each of them. It's just a matter of the orientation of the polarization layers in a specific pair of glasses and how it relates to the polarization of the HUD.

Much better to buy a different pair of glasses than not buy the RDX because of your current pair.
Old 08-23-2018 | 05:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Much better to buy a different pair of glasses than not buy the RDX because of your current pair.
Ha! I didn't realize different sunglasses would make a difference. Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out if I "need" Advance or not, and the HUD display plays a big part of that.
Old 08-23-2018 | 06:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sounds
Ha! I didn't realize different sunglasses would make a difference. Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out if I "need" Advance or not, and the HUD display plays a big part of that.
It is a tough call for sure. I decided against it, not having one now and knowing it would be a ‘must have’ for me in the future. Plus my wife dislikes them. I went for the comfort seats in the BMW because, to me, the standard ones didn’t make it for me, but these do in the Tech; and the ventilated seats would get little use for me as the car is garaged and I would start it up remotely if it were sitting in the sun someplace, like at the mall or the pool.

The Advance is worth it if you will use the extra stuff it has. To me, that $5K was better put to the Australia trip fund. It is all about choices.
Old 02-25-2019 | 03:16 PM
8th Gear

I'm still researching this, but anyone vouch if HUD is displayed only as white?

Or, is there any color display in HUD?
Old 02-25-2019 | 04:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by myacura42
I'm still researching this, but anyone vouch if HUD is displayed only as white?

Or, is there any color display in HUD?
It is color, but mostly white. The lane departure warning and brake! message are orange, and the labels for the acc are green.
Old 02-25-2019 | 05:38 PM
Advanced

I have a new Advance picked up 2/1, I think the HUD is the single feature of the car that i would NOT give up, if for no other reason than the speed and speed limit display. My first comment to my wife on the return trip from the dealer was that it would be easy to get a speeding ticket in this car as it just drives so smoothly and feels so solid that it is easy to get carried away. Having the display right there in front is more useful than I expected, and everyone who has sat in the car (NO body gets to drive it yet!) has agreed with my assessment.
Old 02-26-2019 | 09:37 AM
Advanced

Exactly Right

Originally Posted by MT-RDX
I have a new Advance picked up 2/1, I think the HUD is the single feature of the car that i would NOT give up, if for no other reason than the speed and speed limit display. My first comment to my wife on the return trip from the dealer was that it would be easy to get a speeding ticket in this car as it just drives so smoothly and feels so solid that it is easy to get carried away. Having the display right there in front is more useful than I expected, and everyone who has sat in the car (NO body gets to drive it yet!) has agreed with my assessment.
Yeah, you are exactly right. I am always keeping myself in check and the HUD is right in my face and helps with that. Quicker, easier and more visible than the Speedometer.

DavidH
Old 02-26-2019 | 10:23 AM
Racer

I have no problem seeing it with sun glasses on.. Love the HUD