Navigation: Favorite Destinations

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 04:30 AM
CGO
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Navigation: Favorite Destinations

Unlike my 10-12 year old Tom Tom, my 2012 TL and my 2016 Subaru, there seems to be no way to name Favorite Destinations in the 2019 RDX Navigation system. So, instead of having "Mom" as a Favorite Destination, you get "123 Any Street" or whatever her address is.

Unless I'm missing something, this is a rather basic design flaw. Can you imagine your cell phone contacts without names?
Old 07-01-2018, 07:34 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
There must be some way. If you watch the independent YouTube video reviews from the launch event, the display clearly showed the Four Seasons hotel as a navigation shortcut - not just an address.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:52 AM
CGO
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fury63
There must be some way. If you watch the independent YouTube video reviews from the launch event, the display clearly showed the Four Seasons hotel as a navigation shortcut - not just an address.
That is true for Destinations selected as Places or POIs. Like when you say Find Starbucks and then select the one you want. But my Mom is not in Acura's list of Places or Points of Interest. LOL ...
Old 07-01-2018, 07:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CGO
That is true for Destinations selected as Places or POIs. Like when you say Find Starbucks and then select the one you want. But my Mom is not in Acura's list of Places or Points of Interest. LOL ...
Ah. Well she should be!

If you can’t change it, that is a serious flaw.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts

Ah. Well she should be!

If you can’t change it, that is a serious flaw.
This is the second very serious flaw that has come up with the Nav. You can’t set the zoom level of the map, and now this.

I also can’t find good info on map updates and traffic information. Will there be an extra cost? Do you need a separate subscription for traffic info? How good is it?

If Acura Nav turns out to be not as good as the mapping you get for free from Car Play it will be a huge disappointment, and also a strike against the HUD, since it seems that Car Play Nav does not appear in the HUD, like it does in the Accord.

On the Accord, Google Maps shows on the HUD via Android Auto, yet AA is still not available for the RDX. I sure hope Acura straightens this out.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 07-01-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:49 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
In the Navigation manual (Page 22 of actual manual, 24 of PDF) it says that 30 "favorites" are allowed. Don't have my vehicle, so I can't test. Just wanted to give some bread crumbs to someone who can.

Billy
Old 07-01-2018, 01:36 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

This is the second very serious flaw that has come up with the Nav. You can’t set the zoom level of the map, and now this.

I also can’t find good info on map updates and traffic information. Will there be an extra cost? Do you need a separate subscription for traffic info? How good is it?

If Acura Nav turns out to be not as good as the mapping you get for free from Car Play it will be a huge disappointment, and also a strike against the HUD, since it seems that Car Play Nav does not appear in the HUD, like it does in the Accord.

On the Accord, Google Maps shows on the HUD via Android Auto, yet AA is still not available for the RDX. I sure hope Acura straightens this out.
when I asked my sales rep I was told the maps would be updated via the system updates (which can be done on your home WiFi) and that traffic info was included with acuralink so you need a subscription for that after the trial period ends.

I deive 20-25k Miles a year and have been using a cheap Garmin, so it’s an upgrade for me
either way, but I will say this. I took the car for 3 hours the other day and played around with the navigation a lot. I don’t see the need for any other zoom level. It seemed to be close enough to let me see what’s within a stones throw which for the purpose of my job is more beneficial than being zoomed way out.

The one thing I felt was a little tricky was the inputting of info while driving. Much easier to handwrite but it would sometimes misread 2 as a Z, and if you hit a bump and scribble everywhere it could be anything. Took me 3 attempts to figure out how to backspace or space ahead. Otherwise I think the nav is just fine.

I didn’t try to add favorites. Has to be a way to name it. My cheapo Garmin allows it. Maybe add the address to the contact in your phone and import it as a favorite?
Old 07-02-2018, 11:10 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
The lack of Android Auto is killing me right now as I love to use Waze when I drive to and from work. I like having notifications from other drivers about issues on the road ahead. The traffic info and lack of signs for exits on the RDX navigation system is terrible. Acura had a real chance to make something special since it is based on Android anyway, but have blown it in my opinion. Hopefully they realize this and fix their mistake.

I am just hoping we get Android Auto sometime this month
Old 07-02-2018, 11:20 AM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
The lack of Android Auto is killing me right now as I love to use Waze when I drive to and from work. I like having notifications from other drivers about issues on the road ahead. The traffic info and lack of signs for exits on the RDX navigation system is terrible. Acura had a real chance to make something special since it is based on Android anyway, but have blown it in my opinion. Hopefully they realize this and fix their mistake.

I am just hoping we get Android Auto sometime this month
there is a real chance that the nav gets updated when the system update comes out to include android auto. I’m sure there will more updates at that time than just the addition of android.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:15 PM
Racer

If they want to maintain sales momentum into August, they have to release it this month. I would think twice before buying a car with a promised feature that is still not present two months after release. However I believe the ball is in Googles court to make AA work with the touchpad.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they want to maintain sales momentum into August, they have to release it this month. I would think twice before buying a car with a promised feature that is still not present two months after release. However I believe the ball is in Googles court to make AA work with the touchpad.
I am very seriously purchasing a 2019 RDX and that's one of my major concerns. Mazda has been 'promising' the addition of Android Auto to the CX-9 for years now and it hasn't yet appeared. Mazda may not have as much at stake as Acura with the RDX but it all rests with Google and what is their motivation? Certainly not as much as Acura which worries me. I hope that by the time I get around to pulling the trigger Acura has the AA thing resolved.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

The Nav system is definitely not very intuitive and is lacking some features most are familiar with from using other Nav systems. I to and looking forward to AA for the RDX.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:22 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Please make sure everyone calls Acura Client Relations and voice your concerns. They will never change anything if no one complains.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:20 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Heard a rumor from my dealer that AA will not be coming until November at the earliest
Old 08-06-2018, 04:54 PM
Drifting

Well, I’m not an alcoholic, so it is cool with me.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Well, I’m not an alcoholic, so it is cool with me.
Makes no difference to me either. Surprisingly I can operate motor vehicles without using either Android Auto or Apple Car Play - don't care if either of them exist or not, or if they work.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Makes no difference to me either. Surprisingly I can operate motor vehicles without using either Android Auto or Apple Car Play - don't care if either of them exist or not, or if they work.

You must be an old guy. Car-bu-raters and stuff like that.

A man's only as old as the woman he feels. - Groucho Marx.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:32 PM
Burning Brakes

...Car-bu-raters and stuff like that.

With manual choke no less
Old 08-06-2018, 05:48 PM
Drifting

Sigh, I loved sticking a bic pen in the butterflies and pouring Gumout down the carbs, and looking at the blue smoke coming out of the back, and saying to my friends “lookit that shit. This stuff really works. Give me another beer.” Truth be told, it was likely not a Double IPA from a boutique brewer. It was likely the cheapest, coldest, beer we could get when we all chipped in a couple of bucks.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:11 PM
Burning Brakes

But do you miss the 3-on-the-column with an 18 inch throw from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd?... or the starter button under the clutch pedal?... or the high beam button on the floor?... or the vacuum powered windshield wipers that would slow down when you accelerated? Sometimes progress is good.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
But do you miss the 3-on-the-column with an 18 inch throw from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd?... or the starter button under the clutch pedal?... or the high beam button on the floor?... or the vacuum powered windshield wipers that would slow down when you accelerated? Sometimes progress is good.
I learned ​​​​​​ on a three on the tree. But. lemme tell ya, losing the wipers going uphill was one pain in the butt. Especially when it was pouring and I didn’t live in a hilly area. But those back seats, man, what memories. Especially when we were both young and bendable.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 PM
Burning Brakes

...man, what memories...
Ah yes, like having the G/F shift because your right arm was draped over her shoulder - and you steered with your left hand only, without benefit of power steering, for the same reason. (I never could figure out why front bucket seats became so popular when a bench seat had such benefits.) I still drive primarily with my left hand because of habits developed early on.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Drifting

Old 08-06-2018, 07:07 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
It was likely the cheapest, coldest, beer we could get when we all chipped in a couple of bucks.
It wasn't Brown Derby or Keystone was it?
Old 08-06-2018, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GW208
It wasn't Brown Derby or Keystone was it?
Piels.

Bert and Harry Piels.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Acura seems like they built a good car mechanically, but used Tier -3 software programmers for far too many functions and features on the new RDX. The lack of Nav zoom is inexcusable. The big question - when they fix it, as they will under tremendous consumer pressure - will be whether or not they can download that, plus many other fixes to those who already bought this car?? What about Android Auto? Will that also download? Cars are getting to be big smart phones, with so much crap on them that driving is almost an afterthought.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:44 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Acura has stated that an update will be forthcoming to support Android Auto, and hopefully it will include some needed "adjustments" to the infotainment software. And they have claimed there is a mechanism for "over-the-air" updates. Whether that will work, and what the requirements will be to make it work, remain to be seen. ( Woe unto us if AcuraLink is involved ). Worst case, a trip to the dealer may be required. Acura isn't Tesla. I'm OK with that.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a feeling the OTA updates include you using your phone to download the update while it’s plugged into the usb
Old 08-08-2018, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by burn1010
I have a feeling the OTA updates include you using your phone to download the update while it’s plugged into the usb
Even if that turns out to be true it's still better than a trip to the dealer.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:39 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Owner's Manual pages 263-268 describes two methods to apply infotainment system updates: via internet by connecting to a WiFi hotspot, or via USB by downloading to a thumb drive ( with a computer ). The USB drive needs to be "blessed" in the vehicle prior to downloading the update. This sounds similar to applying map updates. ( Which I did manage to accomplish before HERE pulled the update, presumably because we quickly discovered that the update scheme was buggy and frail and neither HERE customer service reps nor Acura reps knew anything about it ). The buggy and frail part is what concerns me for system updates. Worst case, dealers get the updater on a thumb drive and they do the update.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pearl77
Acura seems like they built a good car mechanically, but used Tier -3 software programmers for far too many functions and features on the new RDX. The lack of Nav zoom is inexcusable. The big question - when they fix it, as they will under tremendous consumer pressure - will be whether or not they can download that, plus many other fixes to those who already bought this car?? What about Android Auto? Will that also download? Cars are getting to be big smart phones, with so much crap on them that driving is almost an afterthought.
ditto