Naming a favorite?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 06:43 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Naming a favorite?

Does anyone know how to put a name on a navigation favorite? Instead of the address showing, Id like it to say “beach house” or “dog park”. Thx
Old 07-05-2018, 09:22 AM
CGO
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Catman70
Does anyone know how to put a name on a navigation favorite? Instead of the address showing, Id like it to say “beach house” or “dog park”. Thx
No!!!
See my thread at https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...ations-971171/
Old 07-05-2018, 07:59 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Here’s the best thing I can tell everyone. If you put the destination in you iPhone contacts, you can save the contact as a favorite and tell the system to navigate to that favorite. You get 20 favorite contacts.

You can also tell tbe system to navigate to any confact if their asdress is in your phone. It has to be formatted a certain way it seems, like all one line, or it will tell you the address cannot be found. I’m still playing with it and learning but it seems the native nav won’t allow renaming of a favorite destination. Just allows saving that address. But again if you put your moms address in your phone it’s a non issue of you say “navigate to moms.”
Old 07-08-2018, 04:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
This is so stupid! I'm not going re-format all my addresses in my contacts just for a basic feature to work on my 2019 Nav unit. I hope this gets fixed/updated.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:23 PM
Pro

I came across a site Today that allowed you to check if your navigation software was up to date via VIN. Mine was. So no need to downloads but maybe that site will have more Info in coming weeks.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:49 AM
CGO
Advanced

Originally Posted by xraytedjim
This is so stupid! I'm not going re-format all my addresses in my contacts just for a basic feature to work on my 2019 Nav unit. I hope this gets fixed/updated.
I agree
Old 07-09-2018, 03:50 AM
CGO
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12
Here’s the best thing I can tell everyone. If you put the destination in you iPhone contacts, you can save the contact as a favorite and tell the system to navigate to that favorite. You get 20 favorite contacts.

You can also tell tbe system to navigate to any confact if their asdress is in your phone. It has to be formatted a certain way it seems, like all one line, or it will tell you the address cannot be found. I’m still playing with it and learning but it seems the native nav won’t allow renaming of a favorite destination. Just allows saving that address. But again if you put your moms address in your phone it’s a non issue of you say “navigate to moms.”
I couldn't make this work on my Samsung S7.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:38 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
The Nav system seems to have many shortcomings. I doubt they will be resolved in this generation of the system. Time to adapt or think of work-around.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:57 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
The Nav system seems to have many shortcomings. I doubt they will be resolved in this generation of the system. Time to adapt or think of work-around.
If true, that is absolutely unforgivable. Auto makers know what needs to be done. Maybe with CP/AA they are saying %#*@ it
Old 07-09-2018, 09:12 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fury63

If true, that is absolutely unforgivable. Auto makers know what needs to be done. Maybe with CP/AA they are saying %#*@ it

This what I see as its shortcomings:

1. Inability to set zoom level other than 1/4 mile for both general viewing and when routing is engaged.
2. Inability to directly mute and unmute voice direction.
3. Inability to name favorites and tell the system to ‘go to’ Joe’s House.

My 2008 car’s navigation system does all of that.

I would expect a brand new 2018 system to do all of the above, and have additional features, like selectable map overlays.

I will need some seat time when IOS 12 comes in and Google Maps and WAZE shows up in CarPlay. But yes, this is disappointing to me. Is it a deal breaker? Too soon to tell in my case, the car itself has so much going for it.

My target date for decisions is November-December. By then, everyone’s 2019s will be out, and I expect that production issues will be solved. (There appears to be some supply issues with the X3 and some driving aids at the moment.)

Last edited by Madd Dog; 07-09-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:43 AM
CGO
Advanced

1. Inability to set zoom level other than 1/4 mile for both general viewing and when routing is engaged.

I would expect a brand new 2018 system to do all of the above, and have additional features, like selectable map overlays.

I will need some seat time when IOS 12 comes in and Google Maps and WAZE shows up in CarPlay. But yes, this is disappointing to me. Is it a deal breaker? Too soon to tell in my case, the car itself has so much going for it.

My target date for decisions is November-December. By then, everyone’s 2019s will be out, and I expect that production issues will be solved. (There appears to be some supply issues with the X3 and some driving aids at the moment.)
It is a great car. I do like mine.

The only Navigation issue for me is the lack of naming/renaming capability which I had on every previous navigation system.

I'm now getting frequent reminders from my wife that her 2016 Subaru Legacy at half the price of my Platinum Elite allows naming of favourites ... LOL!
Old 07-09-2018, 01:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CGO
It is a great car. I do like mine.

The only Navigation issue for me is the lack of naming/renaming capability which I had on every previous navigation system.

I'm now getting frequent reminders from my wife that her 2016 Subaru Legacy at half the price of my Platinum Elite allows naming of favourites ... LOL!
Yes, but she has only Regular Handling AWD....
Old 07-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Pro

Yes, but she has only Regular Handling AWD....
to be fair, that Subaru would probably pull a 18 wheeler out of a snow drift and not spill a drop of the hot cocoa in the process.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:52 PM
CGO
Advanced

to be fair, that Subaru would probably pull a 18 wheeler out of a snow drift and not spill a drop of the hot cocoa in the process.
I had a 2012 TL SH-AWD before this 2019 RDX. I had both that TL and the Legacy on X-Ice 3 225/55R17 for Central Ontario winters. Both did well on ice and packed snow. The TL was a hoot to drive in deep snow with 30/70 front/rear AWD but the Subaru was better at getting through everything with 50/50 AWD.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:00 PM
Drifting

The Outback I had was the best foul weather car I ever had. For me, that didn’t make up for other shortcomings.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:07 PM
CGO
Advanced

The Outback I had was the best foul weather car I ever had. For me, that didn’t make up for other shortcomings.
Not my kind of car either but it's a great winter car, it's reliable and she loves it... Get in go regardless of what's going on in...
Old 07-10-2018, 03:07 PM
CGO
Advanced

Select Navigation > MENU > Voice Guidance Volume to set your normally desired volume.

Apparently, you can also ddjust the volume using the volume knob during the voice guidance.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CGO
Select Navigation > MENU > Voice Guidance Volume to set your normally desired volume.

Apparently, you can also ddjust the volume using the volume knob during the voice guidance.

Yes, I know you can adjust volume on the fly, while it is talking. I want to mute it altogether, and then unmute it when I want it.

I can do that on my 10 year old in-car system, and I can do it with Google maps app, and I could have done it with a Garmin when I used one. I have been using nav systems for years, and not being able to mute and unmute accoding to my needs is a real problem.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:58 PM
CGO
Advanced

Yes, I know you can adjust volume on the fly, while it is talking. I want to mute it altogether, and then unmute it when I want it.

I can do that on my 10 year old in-car system, and I can do it with Google maps app, and I could have done it with a Garmin when I used one. I have been using nav systems for years, and not being able to mute and unmute accoding to my needs is a real problem.
What if ... (I haven't tried it) ... You went to Navigation > MENU > Voice Guidance Volume to set your normally desired volume to zero and then used the volume knob to turn it up when needed ...
Old 07-10-2018, 04:52 PM
Drifting

I suspect my work around will be to not use navigation at all, and go with Car Play.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
I suspect my work around will be to not use navigation at all, and go with Car Play.
My RDX has a glitch with the voice guidance. When I turn it off, and then I am navigating to a destination, I notice the music in my car drops in volume. After this happened a few times I went back to voice guidance volume settings and it was on “10”. I shut it off again but, whenever there is supposed to be a voice guidance, it goes back to “10”. Any suggestions?

i wonder if I’m adjusting the volume of the music when there is supposed to be a voice guidance and it goes up with out me realizing.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:19 PM
Intermediate

I have this same issue.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Catman70

My RDX has a glitch with the voice guidance. When I turn it off, and then I am navigating to a destination, I notice the music in my car drops in volume. After this happened a few times I went back to voice guidance volume settings and it was on “10”. I shut it off again but, whenever there is supposed to be a voice guidance, it goes back to “10”. Any suggestions?

i wonder if I’m adjusting the volume of the music when there is supposed to be a voice guidance and it goes up with out me realizing.
I have this same issue.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:36 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I came across a site Today that allowed you to check if your navigation software was up to date via VIN. Mine was. So no need to downloads but maybe that site will have more Info in coming weeks.
Can u share the link, so I can check mine if it's already updated?, Tks

Old 09-10-2018, 09:22 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotrek
Can u share the link, so I can check mine if it's already updated?, Tks
You can also check for updates in your car. I believe it can be found in your settings menu.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom2
You can also check for updates in your car. I believe it can be found in your settings menu.
I believe that you can update the head unit software but NOT the map software. The map software needs to be downloaded onto a flash drive and updated in that manner off of the map software site.