Infotainment System Issues with Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 09:21 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every little bit helps!

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

I have not been bothering the dealer with these kinds of problems, since it seems to me to be software related and common place. I have been opening tickets and sending it up the chain for Acura’s tech people to work on.
Originally Posted by cengel
I received a call from Acura Customer Support today in regards to the ticket I entered with these issues. They said that they have received a number of concerns about Carplay and are working on improvements. The guy that called seemed tech savvy, and said that he expected an OTA update would be coming. He told me to call back in 4-6 weeks if the problems were not corrected.

I thought about taking it to a dealer, but will just wait for the update to see if that fixes things.
Like many other 2019 RDX owners, I am having Apple CarPlay issues like unavailability, problems with streaming, system freeze-up, etc. The two times I spoke to Acura service about these issues, they pointed the finger at Apple. So unless and until both sides work through these issues, I guess we are left to our own devices. One thing I tried that helped was resetting the Acura system to factory settings, and also hard resetting my iPhone X. It did not fix all the issues, but it seems to have lessened the severity of some of the miscues. Like any computerized system, resets can often help. Let's hope software fixes are coming for the 2019 models at some point.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:02 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Then I would pass on the new RDX.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:05 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Claudman
Then I would pass on the new RDX.
agreed, I have decided to pass on this vehicle, I find it IRRITATING
Old 10-08-2018, 05:15 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
There is no doubt in my mind that there are issues with Carplay. As it affects me (which is what is most important) is the music skipping and Carplay losing itself with Waze and Google Maps.

I would like to see the ability to actually turn Carplay off without having to pull the plug on my phone; I would like the ability to use Amazon Music offline as a simple USB music source without getting that whole Carplay thing going, and be able to actually turn off started apps, like Amazon Music or Waze, without having to deal with my phone directly, or taking it offline.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
If it was an issue with Apple...then all CarPlay devices would experience it. My Audi and my new 2019 Subaru Forester Sport have zero issues with CarPlay so definitely an ACURA issue.
The following users liked this post:
HillbillyInBC (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 06:12 PM
Drifting

Them bastids.

I don’t care who is to blame, find a scapegoat I always say.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:30 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
If it was an issue with Apple...then all CarPlay devices would experience it. My Audi and my new 2019 Subaru Forester Sport have zero issues with CarPlay so definitely an ACURA issue.
QFT. I've rented at least a dozen cars over the past few years which supported CarPlay, and I've seen exactly zero issues with CarPlay prior to buying this car.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:03 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
This infotainment system is either terribly underpowered or filled with buggy software that was not fully beta tested before release.

We can only hope that the first update we get fixes a large amount of issues with the entire system, as well as making CarPlay a better experience.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:49 AM
Burning Brakes

My son has a new model 2017 Subaru Impreza. It took Subaru 4 software updates over a one-year period to get all the bugs out and not it's like it should have been at release. Don't expect everything to be resolved in a single update.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:56 PM
2nd Gear

CarPlay is awful in Acura RDX

I have 2019 RDX. CarPlay doesn’t work properly. Acura is aware and says they are coming out with update. No one knows when and what it will fix. This is unacceptable. Everyone I know who has RDX has same issues - so it’s an Acura problem. Name another business where you buy something and doesn’t come as advertised and there are no repercussions. This is unacceptable and very disappointing from a “luxury” brand like Acura. Should have got the Lexus NX
Old 07-04-2019, 09:46 PM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Meir Cohen
I have 2019 RDX. CarPlay doesn’t work properly. Acura is aware and says they are coming out with update. No one knows when and what it will fix. This is unacceptable. Everyone I know who has RDX has same issues - so it’s an Acura problem. Name another business where you buy something and doesn’t come as advertised and there are no repercussions. This is unacceptable and very disappointing from a “luxury” brand like Acura. Should have got the Lexus NX
I purchased almost a year ago and was told the same thing. We are coming out with an update soon. There have been 2 infotainment updates since I have had the vehicle. Did not improve any problems. CarPlay is a real problem. I like the Nav and music on my iPhone way better than the stock stuff. However, every time so far CarPlay ALWAYS has an issue when I need it most such as when navigating new big cities and interstates CarPlay craps out and I need to pull off the road to try and reset the system etc....very frustrating. The stock NAV sucks. Another pisser is that you need to buy a subscription if you want to keep using remote start or pay some ripoff price to have a FOB remote start installed.

Another thing is I think from the way the system behaves the infotainment system is CPU underpowered and whoever is responsible for fixing software issues at Acura sucks and should be fired.

I will hang in a bit longer as I really love the driving dynamics and comfort of the car but the CarPlay and other buggy stuff when not even using CarPlay is really getting annoying not to mention the Acura response so far. Anyway I only have 5k mileage and its leased so I will either sell it or worst case I need to wait until lease end but I think with that low a mileage I might break even way sooner than the end of the lease.

Last edited by tecwerks; 07-04-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Padre Dave (07-05-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 09:58 PM
2nd Gear

So we buy a car based on features it comes with - the feature doesn’t work - and now we bear financial cost of that? I am looking into legal remedies

Originally Posted by tecwerks
I purchased almost a year ago and was told the same thing. We are coming out with an update soon. There have been 2 infotainment updates since I have had the vehicle. Did not improve any problems. CarPlay is a real problem. I like the Nav and music on my iPhone way better than the stock stuff. However, every time so far CarPlay ALWAYS has an issue when I need it most such as when navigating new big cities and interstates CarPlay craps out and I need to pull off the road to try and reset the system etc....very frustrating. The stock NAV sucks. Another pisser is that you need to buy a subscription if you want to keep using remote start or pay some ripoff price to have a FOB remote start installed.

Another thing is I think from the way the system behaves the infotainment system is CPU underpowered and whoever is responsible for fixing software issues at Acura sucks and should be fired.

I will hang in a bit longer as I really love the driving dynamics and comfort of the car but the CarPlay and other buggy stuff when not even using CarPlay is really getting annoying not to mention the Acura response so far. Anyway I only have 5k mileage and its leased so I will either sell it or worst case I need to wait until lease end but I think with that low a mileage I might break even way sooner than the end of the lease.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:42 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Meir Cohen
So we buy a car based on features it comes with - the feature doesn’t work - and now we bear financial cost of that? I am looking into legal remedies
Not sure we have any legal remedies that would be successful. If it is not fixed within another 6 months I am going to another Lexus. My 2010 RDX is SOLID. Other than changing oil and fluids and new rotors/brake pads at 108K miles ZERO other issues. Still looks and drives like new. I just wanted something a bit more lively (sporty) :-) The ASpec delivers on that, but I am not willing to keep it longterm with nagging infotainment glitches.

Wishing you good luck if you go the legal route, I just don't need the hassle in my life.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:54 AM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
I am a very patient, OK, I am long suffering..... I admit that this system is starting to tick me off! Good suggestions. One I discovered: heat affects the stability of this system too. I now carry my USB drives in my pocket and don’t ever leave them in the car (I live outside Phoenix). I had nearly flawless performance this morning doing errands and stuff until the 4th stop. When I started the car, waited for the Disclaimer screen, inserted cool USB drive and got “Initializing” and then “No Device Attached”. I pulled the drive out and reinserted it and then I was right where it left off before I made the stop.

There is wisdom in the counsel to insert USB, whether CarPlay or a USB drive, after starting the car. There are so many bugs in this system, I expect Acura to make good on this system which has all of the components to be a top grade audio system.

Acura, can you hear me now?
Old 07-05-2019, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear

Another issue I see is that CarPlay sometimes disconnects itself several minutes after it has been connected and the CarPlay icon goes gray. This seems to happen about 25% of the time. When this happens I have to unplug the lightening cable and plug it back in to get CarPlay working again. It is pretty annoying because at that point you are a mile down the road and it is distracting to have to mess around with the lightening cable at that point.

One more complaint I have is that the first time you launch an XM channel after starting the car it often takes several minutes before the station fully comes up.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
No Apple Car Play, no XM, No problem. That simple folks. Maybe one day I’ll try them but not until it’s fixed.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RobinL
No Apple Car Play, no XM, No problem. That simple folks. Maybe one day I’ll try them but not until it’s fixed.
We use XM every day and not a single issue during our full ownership of the vehicle. Loads very fast after doing the factory data reset.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:07 PM
Drifting

We use XM every day and not a single issue during our full ownership of the vehicle. Loads very fast after doing the factory data reset.
Me neither, never had aproblem using XM and the native nav.

Car Play has also settled down for me since the update, but I don’t mess with changes when I’m driving.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
I no longer have any problems with car play or siriusXM after the latest update
Old 07-07-2019, 12:14 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
I never have a problem with XM because I never use it.

I now have fewer problems with CarPlay because I no longer switch futilely between Nav apps trying to find one that actually knows something about where I want to go. Like maybe a freaking rest area along the Interstate? Is it really that difficult?

So now I have copies of relevant pages out of my trusty Rand McNally Road Atlas stashed in the glove compartment of my modern tech-savvy car, with the rest areas marked with blue diamonds as they have been for decades. Which is appropriate since most of the rest areas have been exactly where they are for decades.

< end rant >
Old 07-07-2019, 07:49 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wander
I never have a problem with XM because I never use it.

I now have fewer problems with CarPlay because I no longer switch futilely between Nav apps trying to find one that actually knows something about where I want to go. Like maybe a freaking rest area along the Interstate? Is it really that difficult?

So now I have copies of relevant pages out of my trusty Rand McNally Road Atlas stashed in the glove compartment of my modern tech-savvy car, with the rest areas marked with blue diamonds as they have been for decades. Which is appropriate since most of the rest areas have been exactly where they are for decades.

< end rant >
Get the iExit app, it has most everything along each interstate. My wife is an expert in its use, and if your copilot has one, you can find all the rest areas.
Wander (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 10:19 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
What is the latest update version. I have D.1.1.2
Old 07-08-2019, 12:55 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by RobinL
What is the latest update version. I have D.1.1.2
AFAIK you're already there.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:38 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I guess I have been lucky so far with Nav and Carplay. I am at 7000 miles now and did not have any major issue with either. I have an android phone and wife has iphone 7 plus. I use Nav quite a lot and sometimes voice search does not return expected result but I usually send the location from acuralink app and it has worked always. I am actually quite impressed with Nav based on my past experiences with few other stock Nav's. I don't use usb audio. Only bluetooth audio with Nav when I am driving alone and carplay when driving with wife. I have taken some calls with carplay and responded to messages without any issue. Maybe I am not a heavy user but the system has worked so far for me. So thought of sharing my positive experience. Only precaution I take is to wait till the loading symbol goes away before doing anything. It loads usually in about 5 -7 seconds for me.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:50 AM
8th Gear

For me the issue is ongoing. Frankly I think it is unfair and deceptive sales practices. I would have never bought this vehicle had I known of the issues and inability to play music like this. The car is too expensive to be impacted like this. Acura has been no help.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:17 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by tmknies
For me the issue is ongoing. Frankly I think it is unfair and deceptive sales practices. I would have never bought this vehicle had I known of the issues and inability to play music like this. The car is too expensive to be impacted like this. Acura has been no help.
Was at the dealer a week ago and the staff always play stupid like they are not even aware that a problem exists. Want me to make an appointment to troubleshoot it. So they want me to waste my time. Right.
MrmissmyTLX (10-28-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 09:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My phones and my cords work fine in my 2019 Chevy. Same apple phones and same cords. The problem is the RDX system not the phones or the cords.
MrmissmyTLX (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 11:49 PM
'20 RDX Adv, built 11/19

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I WAS looking to buy a new 2020 RDX Advance w/ SH-AWD, but after I have read and researched the infotainment's reliability issues I just cannot do it. My best friend has an I used to have an Acura TLX, mysticism best friend has a TLX, and my wife has an older RDX. So I thought Acura made reliable cars. IF Acura fixes the issue then I think I will move forward, but it seems they don't even acknowledge it! That is pretty ridiculous.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:44 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tecwerks
Was at the dealer a week ago and the staff always play stupid like they are not even aware that a problem exists. Want me to make an appointment to troubleshoot it. So they want me to waste my time. Right.

It seems like the dealerships stonewall these issues and just want to change fluids and up sell you on unneeded services. Bring them anything other than maintenance and they deny or play dumb.
MrmissmyTLX (10-31-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 07:34 AM
8th Gear

I have never seen such deplorable customer service.
MrmissmyTLX (10-31-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 12:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
It seems like the dealerships stonewall these issues and just want to change fluids and up sell you on unneeded services. Bring them anything other than maintenance and they deny or play dumb.
The service notice to dealers from Honda instructs them how to reset infoteinment and advices not to replace anything and wait for software update.
There is not much more dealer can do, its a manufactures issue
Old 10-29-2019, 01:47 PM
6th Gear

Just to chime in guys, just purchased a 2020 Acura RDX w/ tech package in September. 1,300 miles now.

First use, I had the occasional CarPlay skip and system errors. After the most recent CarPlay update and RDX software update, never have any issues with CarPlay.

Went on a 700 mile trip this past weekend and no issues during the drive.

Only issue I have occasionally now is that Sirius will refuse to open. However, I don't use Sirius so it doesn't affect my experience.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tsebastian03
Just to chime in guys, just purchased a 2020 Acura RDX w/ tech package in September. 1,300 miles now.

First use, I had the occasional CarPlay skip and system errors. After the most recent CarPlay update and RDX software update, never have any issues with CarPlay.

Went on a 700 mile trip this past weekend and no issues during the drive.

Only issue I have occasionally now is that Sirius will refuse to open. However, I don't use Sirius so it doesn't affect my experience.

But it is a glitch running around in your system. That is what I have a major problem with.

My auto stop-start refuses to operate. I don’t like it, but it should work. My setting for auto reset trip A on fill up stopped working. I get around it by using the manual reset. I sometimes use Sirius, when I go on short trips and don’t want to hook up carplay. You paid for it, it should work. I can have no traffic info, some traffic info on the major road I am on, but not on nearby secondary roads, sometimes only on the secondary roads, but not the major road I am on, and that can all change in minutes. One minute it is all green, the next, my road goes gray, the others stay green, shortly thereafter, it changes all up again.

More than a year later, there have been none of the quarterly or yearly updates to the map.

This has been a huge dropped ball for Acura.
markm929 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 04:21 PM
Racer

Excellent advise on not leaving cable or thumb drive in USB port at startup. I plug in when I get the stupid blue disclaimer screen.,
Old 10-31-2019, 05:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Padre Dave
Excellent advise on not leaving cable or thumb drive in USB port at startup. I plug in when I get the stupid blue disclaimer screen.,
i plugin phone to end of cable, dont remove cable.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

Acura needs to make infotainment a priority

I have a 2018 MDX , the CarPlay has been so buggy since day one with and iPhone X. Acura has not been able to even comprehend the issues. They need to provide regular software updates to the head unit to keep up with changes to mobile operating systems. They do not. I’m sick and tired of random freezes, calls and CarPlay voice recognition freezing, the dealership as well as Acura national has been useless at best. Leaving the brand is my only choice. Total unacceptable for a luxury brand. QUOTE=cengel;16280354]We picked up our 2019 RDX Advance SH-AWD a couple of weeks ago and have been having sporadic issues with Carplay and the infotainment system.

When not using Carplay, the system performs well. It is reasonably responsive and reacts in a consistent and predictable way.

However, when we use Carplay, we experience the following issues:
  • The entire system becomes much slower. For example, swapping the two sides of the screen can take up to 7-8 seconds. It's like the CPU is suddenly underpowered.
  • The system will freeze for 4-5 seconds at a time and then "catch-up" with commands. Seemingly, commands are being queued - again as if the CPU cannot keep up.
  • The system startup ranges form under 10 seconds to well over a minute when the iPhone is plugged in during startup.
  • Most frustrating is that when playing music, it skips often. The skips are like an LP skipping and also 2-3 second pauses. In addition, it will occasionally emit 1-3 high pitch beeps while the music is playing.
So what have we tried....
  • 5 different iPhones ranging from a 7, 7 plus to an X.
  • iOS versions 11.3, 11.4.1 and 12 beta.
  • 8 different cables including Apple genuine ones.
  • Factory Reset of the infotainment system. That does seem to cure it for several minutes at least, but it comes back.
  • Checked the diagnostics and developer menus. Tried a couple things in the developer menus to no avail. In the diagnostics menu, the "AMP" section always reports errors with the current timestamp. But the error seems generic and produces whether Carplay is active or not.
  • Tried to check the USB port by playing from a usb key. That works flawlessly.
The kicker is that the issues are not consistent, but do seem to be getting worse. We've had drives where the system worked as expected and it was awesome.

At the same time, we also bought a 2018 Honda Accord Touring, and have a 2016 Accord as well. Both of those work flawlessly. As a side note, the nav system in the 2018 Accord is far superior to the RDX. And that system is super responsive. I actually like it much more.

It feels to me as if these are software issues. I'm sure if I take it to the dealer, it will be one of the times it works as expected.

Has anyone else had a similar set of issues?[/QUOTE]
Old 04-02-2021, 07:12 PM
Racer

Talking

Follow-up on my issues with CarPlay. I just had a District Service Manager or someone from “Corporate” visit my vehicle at the dealership this week, and much to my delight, about 4 hours later I got a call that my car was ready. I FINALLY have the most recent update, and the OTA programming has been pronounced fixed. I will be watching for the next Acura update to see for myself.

Anyway…..Not only is CarPlay working great (Apple Public Beta iOS 14.5 on IPhone 8 Plus), but ……..ready? I can leave my USB drive with my FLAC music on it plugged in when I shut the car down….and then when I start the car again, the USB drive initialized and then……resumed playing where it was when I shut it off! And just to show that even this old, conservative Lutheran Pastor can live on the edge, I left the drive in the car all day and every time I restarted (a busy day, so 5 times) it WORKED! WOW, WOW, WOW!~

Last edited by Padre Dave; 04-02-2021 at 07:15 PM.
JB in AZ (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 10:08 PM
'20 RDX Elite

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dslevin123
Has anyone else had a similar set of issues?
[/QUOTE]
I tried to use Bluetooth to play songs from youtube music not Android auto or anything. This caused the Nav to stop working.
The first time and probably last time I use Bluetooth for audio, I was using an Android Phone (Pixel 3a).

But interestingly the Bluetooth Audio app in the Infotainment system let me browse the phone's downloaded music files, which I thought was cool.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:06 AM
Suzuka Master

If I start a car and hit reverse before infoteinment fully boots and minutes later connect my phone to use CarPlay, it almost never works. Its ridiculous that you need to wait for infoteinment to fully boot
Old 04-03-2021, 07:49 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russianDude
If I start a car and hit reverse before infoteinment fully boots and minutes later connect my phone to use CarPlay, it almost never works. Its ridiculous that you need to wait for infoteinment to fully boot
Yes it is.

I don’t like having to wait for my car to boot up like an old PC, but that does seem to be a requirement.

Quick Reply: Infotainment System Issues with Carplay