DVD-A to 5.1 .flac, step by step

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 08:50 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by ishkibibble23
I have a few audio discs including the Beatles Abbey Road which is in 7.1. I've done the conversion using Flac lossless but they're still not playing. Do I have to downsample to 5.1, and if so how do you do that?

cheers,

Alan
You can rip the blu-ray to 5.1. There is a separate 5.1 mix on there along with the Atmos. Once you have that, just convert to 24/48 Zero Flac and you're done. I know it can be done because I did it within minutes of getting my copy of the box set last year
Old 08-21-2020, 08:18 AM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by acelow
Hi
If I am not mistaken, DVD audio extractor will run on a mac. You should be able to convert dvd-a to flac.
Dvd Audio Extractor is great to use. I have had it on Windows and now on my Mac. I use it on all Dvd's. It will give you the choice of what tracks to rip, so you get the 5.1 instead of the 2.0.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I have one DVD-Audio disc that Audio Extractor cannot convert. It's Porcupine Tree's In Absentia DVD-A. It keeps giving me the error: Failed to open file [path/filename I gave it].flac to write. Make sure there in no invalid character in the output file name and the folder is writeable.

Not sure why this happens unless it is copy protected.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:09 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I have one DVD-Audio disc that Audio Extractor cannot convert. It's Porcupine Tree's In Absentia DVD-A. It keeps giving me the error: Failed to open file [path/filename I gave it].flac to write. Make sure there in no invalid character in the output file name and the folder is writeable.

I converted that disc a couple years ago, so I don't think it's a copywrite issue.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:16 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Stew,

I do remember that there is something "different" about that DVD-A. It's one of the very first DVD-Audio's from DTS. I believe I did rip it, but my main PC for this stuff is currently surrounded by "stuff" as I am renovating my second floor and had to completely empty 2 bedrooms to allow the floors to be replaced. If I ever get back the the PC I will check it out. If I have the rip I will send you a PM with how I did it, or just send you the files, but it might not be until this weekend is over.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oblio98
Stew,

I do remember that there is something "different" about that DVD-A. It's one of the very first DVD-Audio's from DTS. I believe I did rip it, but my main PC for this stuff is currently surrounded by "stuff" as I am renovating my second floor and had to completely empty 2 bedrooms to allow the floors to be replaced. If I ever get back the the PC I will check it out. If I have the rip I will send you a PM with how I did it, or just send you the files, but it might not be until this weekend is over.
Thanks for getting back to me.. I lost all my apps so am trying to add back what works for this such as Foobar, MakeMKV, AudiMuxer and DVDAudioExtractor
I think this DVD-A is write protected or something
I made an MKV file from the DVD-A and can read it. I am stuck now at getting AudioMuxer to split out the tracks from the MKV file properly.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:03 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Here's a picture of using AudioMuxer to extract the surround from a BluRay, from the QQ Forum. Once you use MakeMKV to rip the bluray, open AudioMuxer and under Tools you can select to Extract Audio from Blu-ray

Highlight the 5.1 track you want and let it rip! Don't forget to use Foobar to convert the resulting .flac's to 24/48 Zero Compression in order to get them to play in the RDX.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:03 PM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me.. I lost all my apps so am trying to add back what works for this such as Foobar, MakeMKV, AudiMuxer and DVDAudioExtractor
I think this DVD-A is write protected or something
I made an MKV file from the DVD-A and can read it. I am stuck now at getting AudioMuxer to split out the tracks from the MKV file properly.
DVDAudioExtractor should be able to make FLAC files directly from the DVD-A, no need to create an MKV…at least in the experiences I have had. If the DVD is copy protected then DVDAE will tell you so.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:08 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

DVDAudioExtractor will work, but I have had issues with getting the proper resolution of the audio from that program. If you want the 24/96 for your home system, sometimes you end up with a downsampled result with DVDAudioExtractor. Maybe it's something I have set wrong, or maybe it's something they've fixed since I used to use it.

And of course, MakeMKV gets you around any copy protection

Whatever works for you, I say "go for it". The end result is what's important!
Old 02-03-2021, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by markm929
DVDAudioExtractor should be able to make FLAC files directly from the DVD-A, no need to create an MKV…at least in the experiences I have had. If the DVD is copy protected then DVDAE will tell you so.
It works for 99% of of the DVD-As, which I have ripped a lot of. This one DVD-A has some issues though and DVDAudioExtractor fails when trying to create the files,
Old 09-09-2021, 02:32 PM
Resurrected Drummer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Oblio98 , I got this link form Frog_dude on different section of this Forum. Holy Crap.... whatta procedure. I'm 70 YO, just got a 2022 MDX Advance, I really LIKE IT (I reserve the word LOVE for people , not Things). I was saddened to learn that Acura in its Infinite wisdom decided to eliminate the CD player with an internal HDD. Had it in my 2016 QX60 and my 2019 MDX. So convenient , and simple to achieve CD quality Audio without too much hassle. Now I have to record all or most of my CDs onto Flash Drives. I read the instructions here and some of the ones that followed... Holy SH*T ...I have learned that FLAC files is the way to go. Am I correct ? Or is MP3s as good a quality. Of Course, I can just Stream the Music I want as I subscribe to TIDAL and SPOTIFY [HiFi] and also Pandora (trial for now). But I do Miss the internal HDD - so easy Peasy to access your Music , just using the steering wheel controls. All advice is very welcomed. After reading all of this STUFF, I now seriously Doubt my Gadget abilities in the Digital Age!!! The 2022 MDX is a Fantastic Vehicle, I'm so very pleased with my Purchase (Lease). I'm learning to use the TTIP. Touch Screen or actually include BOTH Pad and Touch Screen would have been the best way to go. If my wife were to take my MDX out, she would be extremely irritated because it is definitely First Time Users Friendly !!
Old 09-09-2021, 02:46 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by Almatti
Oblio98 , I got this link form Frog_dude on different section of this Forum. Holy Crap.... whatta procedure. I'm 70 YO, just got a 2022 MDX Advance, I really LIKE IT (I reserve the word LOVE for people , not Things). I was saddened to learn that Acura in its Infinite wisdom decided to eliminate the CD player with an internal HDD. Had it in my 2016 QX60 and my 2019 MDX. So convenient , and simple to achieve CD quality Audio without too much hassle. Now I have to record all or most of my CDs onto Flash Drives. I read the instructions here and some of the ones that followed... Holy SH*T ...I have learned that FLAC files is the way to go. Am I correct ? Or is MP3s as good a quality. Of Course, I can just Stream the Music I want as I subscribe to TIDAL and SPOTIFY [HiFi] and also Pandora (trial for now). But I do Miss the internal HDD - so easy Peasy to access your Music , just using the steering wheel controls. All advice is very welcomed. After reading all of this STUFF, I now seriously Doubt my Gadget abilities in the Digital Age!!! The 2022 MDX is a Fantastic Vehicle, I'm so very pleased with my Purchase (Lease). I'm learning to use the TTIP. Touch Screen or actually include BOTH Pad and Touch Screen would have been the best way to go. If my wife were to take my MDX out, she would be extremely irritated because it is definitely First Time Users Friendly !!
You don't have to do much if all you want to listen to is STEREO files. That's easy. All of the work required in the guide is for converting multi-channel (5.1 and Quadraphonic) material to play in the car. It's not hard to do once you start, but if you just want to stream stereo, or convert your CDs to flash drives, then getting them on USB sticks is very easy. You can just use foobar and rip the CDs to flac. No strange rules apply. Stereo is, well, easy

PS - Congratulations on the new car!
Old 09-09-2021, 02:57 PM
Resurrected Drummer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Oblio98.......aaahhhh I feel better Now THX for getting back to me. I guess I can download Foobar and go from there ? Can I use iTunes or MS Media ?
Old 09-09-2021, 03:50 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by Almatti
Oblio98.......aaahhhh I feel better Now THX for getting back to me. I guess I can download Foobar and go from there ? Can I use iTunes or MS Media ?
Download foobar. From the menu, there is a choice to 'Rip files from CD'. Save them as .flac. Keep each album in a folder on your USB. Create folders for each artist, then under those folders put the album titles, then in the album folders put the ripped files. The car will give you a menu with all of your albums!

Something like this:

\\Beatles\Sgt. Pepper
\\Beatles\Revolver
\\Rolling Stones\Sticky Fingers
\\Traffic\Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
\\Young\Harvest

You'll figure it out once you realize that each song is just a file and you want to group them the way you want them to be. If you don't want to tag them, just put them in album order by adding the track number to the title. For example:

01-Come Together
02-Something
03-Maxwell's Silver Hammer
etc

This way the songs will play in the proper order. However, it's better to use a program like MP3Tag to give your flac files graphics, titles, and artist info, along with the specific order you want. Good luck, it's a fun journey that is not too difficult, even for us old guys!
The following 2 users liked this post by oblio98:
Funz51 (09-09-2021), markm929 (09-10-2021)
Old 04-11-2023, 11:34 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5.1 Audio Files Available to Download

If you're looking for 5.1 files to download, you can find them here...https://www.youtube.com/@5.1MusicChannel/channels
The files download in 5.1 format (.mp4). They can be converted to flac (5.1 uncompressed) with foobar2000.
Notable available file is Hendrix's Voodoo Child Slight Return from Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition), featured in the Acura Electric commercial.