Dedicated iPhone for CarPlay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 09:38 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dedicated iPhone for CarPlay?

I would love this car if Android Auto was available, but since it's not, I'm trying to think creatively what I can do to avoid buying a phone dock that clips onto the RDX's vent fins.

So, wondering if I can use my wife's old iPhone as a dedicated CarPlay phone that's always connected to the RDX. Here's how I envision it to work:

1. iPhone plugs into the USB port of the RDX

2. My Android phone would then tether to it via WiFi so it can fetch maps and stuff (would better if I can find some lightning dock/adapter/splitter device of some sort that allows me to just plug in my phone to it, while the iPhone is also plugged into the RDX)

3. My Android phone would also connect to my car via Bluetooth to listen to music, make phone calls, etc.

Would an RDX owner be able to let me know if this is doable?
Old 08-09-2019, 10:29 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
It might be worth a try but I'm not sure what Apple services work when you're tethering without Cellular data.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is what I did. I purchased a used iphone SE from Ebay for about $100, and set it up to use exclusively in the car.
The RDX will still connect to your Android phone via bluetooth, (I never even paired the iphone to the RDX, but I think Carplay does that automatically). You can't make phone calls thru Carplay, but I think you can still use the built-in phone app. I haven't tried it fully, but I've heard it works. When I tried I got a message oo use Carplay, but after a few seconds the message went away and seemed to be able to make calls. I don't get too many text messages, so I don't know how it handles those.

Because the RDX still connects to my Android Phone, I use the free version of MacroDroid to automatically turn on the Wifi Hotspot on my S8+, when I get into the car. The iphone then connects to that hotspot for all it's data needs. You could also use the in-car wifi.
One thing to be careful of is imessage. If you have an Apple ID already, apple may try to associate your android phone number with imessage during setup. This could potentially prevent texts reaching your Android phone from iphone users, so something to be aware of and double check. (Alternatively you can get an old mac and set up an AirMessage server https://airmessage.org/, but that is getting pretty geeky).

I primarily use it for Google Maps and accessing my music thru the Google Play Music app. So far it seems to work quite well, but the interface with the touchpad is not intuitive, and took me some time to get used to. I do also miss having the turn-by-turn directions in the HUD and Dash.
I got a 2019 TLX as a loaner for a day recently, and paired my S8+ to that via Android Auto, and was impressed that the google maps was also pushing the turn-by-turn directions to the little screen between the spedo and tach. I'm hoping the RDX will also do that with Android Auto.

The only other annoying part is if the iphone has been sitting for more than an hour or so yo have to unlock it before using Carplay, though that is not a huge issue with an older iphone that has the fingerprint scanner.
Overall I think it's a good stop-gap until Android Auto is officially added to the infotainment system.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
This will work.

If you want to make this setup seamless, you can use Tasker to automate your phone's hotspot to turn on every time it connects to the RDX's bluetooth and turn off every time it disconnects.

Also, why not play music from the iPhone while you're at it? Then you can control your music navigation through CarPlay.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:45 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the confirmation everyone! This just made me finalize my decision on my next car

I bought Tasker a while back, so yes, everything should be automated and good to go.

Curious, if CarPlay doesn't work with HUD, what good is the HUD for then? I don't plan on using the standard nav...
Old 08-09-2019, 06:46 PM
3rd Gear

And Yes, I realized I could also just let the iPhone play music as well, since I mainly use Spotify.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DMenace83
Curious, if CarPlay doesn't work with HUD, what good is the HUD for then? I don't plan on using the standard nav...
The primary purpose of the HUD is for the digital Speedometer. It is the largest item in the HUD and there is no other option for a digital speedometer outside of the HUD, even on vehicles without a HUD (which is every trim level except for the Advanced Trim).
It will also give you the same lane departure warning and radar cruise control info that shows up in the instrument cluster, and displays the audio volume (when adjusting the volume) and song or station info when you change or skip songs, or if you press the left control wheel on the Steering wheel.

With the built-in Navigation the directions are just to the left of the digital spedo. The video quality is low, but you can kind of get an idea of the HUD in this video. https://www.joekrausphotography.com/...bL/i-FnMV6Dq/A
Old 08-13-2019, 05:04 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 89kraus
The only other annoying part is if the iphone has been sitting for more than an hour or so yo have to unlock it before using Carplay, though that is not a huge issue with an older iphone that has the fingerprint scanner.
Overall I think it's a good stop-gap until Android Auto is officially added to the infotainment system.
I believe there is a setting to allow CarPlay when the phone is locked
The following users liked this post:
markm929 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 03:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Colin Whooten
I believe there is a setting to allow CarPlay when the phone is locked
Thanks, I assumed it could not be done for security, but after your suggestion, I did a little more searching online. I found this thread in the Apple communities, which seems to have the answer. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8519499

Per KiltedTim:
This is caused by a security feature that will require the phone be unlocked with a passcode, touch id, or face id when connected to a USB device after not having been unlocked for a period of time.
It's normal.

You can change the setting that requires this in Settings>Touch ID & Passcode.
Go to "Allow Access When Locked" and flip the switch for USB Accessories.