Apple Lossless (m4a) Files Not Playing

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Apple Lossless (m4a) Files Not Playing

i cannot Play m4a files even though they are listed as a supported format. Has anyone had success playing this format?

It’s a PIA to convert my entire music library to mp3.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:28 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Apple lossless files play on my system just like lossy M4As (purchased and ripped), MP3s, and FLACs (stereo and 5.1). All of these file types play flawlessly sometimes, play with occasional dropouts sometimes, play with significant dropouts sometimes, randomly stop playing for no good reason sometimes.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HillbillyInBC
Apple lossless files play on my system just like lossy M4As (purchased and ripped), MP3s, and FLACs (stereo and 5.1). All of these file types play flawlessly sometimes, play with occasional dropouts sometimes, play with significant dropouts sometimes, randomly stop playing for no good reason sometimes.
Hmmmm.... Apple lossless are m4a files so I'm not sure how to interpret your response. Are you saying that your system will play m4a encoded files directly from a USB memory stick? Mine definitely will not play them. I even took them to the dealer and tried it on a newer build of the RDX gen 3 and a recent MDX. Neither would play them.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:16 PM
DR1
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive seen the same thing. I would suggest you use a new OEM Apple cable and leave the phone in the tray when connected. It may be that the in-car connector is not the best. Also playing music via bluetooth is really fantastics as well. Take an A/B test between them.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DR1
Ive seen the same thing. I would suggest you use a new OEM Apple cable and leave the phone in the tray when connected. It may be that the in-car connector is not the best. Also playing music via bluetooth is really fantastics as well. Take an A/B test between them.
I do not play the files from my iPhone so it is not a cable issue. I only connect a 32gb memory stick to the active port in the console. All my music is in folders on the USB stick. m4a files do not play this way for me.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,579 Likes on 6,628 Posts
but the mp3 files on the same stick do?
Old 12-18-2018, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
but the mp3 files on the same stick do?
Yes, mp3 files play as expected and I converted them directly from the m4a files that will not play !! I use multiple memory sticks which behave in the same way so they are not the issue. I can also plug them into my iMac and iTunes will play the m4a files so the files are not corrupt. I believe the codec in the ELS system does not support m4a files as stated in the owner's manual.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:36 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Cazman
Yes, mp3 files play as expected and I converted them directly from the m4a files that will not play !! I use multiple memory sticks which behave in the same way so they are not the issue. I can also plug them into my iMac and iTunes will play the m4a files so the files are not corrupt. I believe the codec in the ELS system does not support m4a files as stated in the owner's manual.
My m4a files play just fine off a memory stick. My m4a files were created by Itunes ripping off a music CD and stored directly into m4a format. In theory I would think m4a file types would be identical in format no matter how they are created, but perhaps in practice there are minute differences from different conversion techniques that the Acura is finicky about. That is just a guess, but all I can say is mine work that were created as I described. Perhaps if you have the setup, create a m4a file ripped off a CD using Itunes and see if it works for you. mp3 files work fine too. Incidentally I just tried this test this morning on a 1.0.7 software level.
The following users liked this post:
Cazman (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
While Apple lossless uses the m4a file extension, Apple Lossess is a different codec, and just uses an m4a wrapper. Only m4a's with an AAC codec are readable by the infotainment system.
As a result the infotainment system may see the file, but it won't be able to play it.

The Wikipedia page for Apple Lossless may better explain it:

"Apple Lossless data is frequently stored within an MP4 container with the filename extension .m4a. This extension is also used by Apple for lossy AAC audio data in an MP4 container (same container, different audio encoding). However, Apple Lossless is not a variant of AAC (which is a lossy format), but rather a distinct lossless format that uses linear prediction similar to other lossless codecs."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lossless

Apple Lossless files probably play fine if you are playing from an iPhone, as the phone is doing all of the decoding.
However playing from a USB drive requires the infotainment system to do the decoding, and Apple Lossless (ALAC) is not a supported codec. I believe the only lossless audio format/codec that is supported from a USB drive is FLAC.
See page 314 of the owners manual. Files need to be BOTH a compatible format/codec and file type.

I know it's a pain, but your best bet is probably to convert your ALAC files to FLAC. The good news is that because they are both lossless formats you should not loose any quality. It just takes time.
The following users liked this post:
DHood (12-20-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gtssenior
My m4a files play just fine off a memory stick. My m4a files were created by Itunes ripping off a music CD and stored directly into m4a format. In theory I would think m4a file types would be identical in format no matter how they are created, but perhaps in practice there are minute differences from different conversion techniques that the Acura is finicky about. That is just a guess, but all I can say is mine work that were created as I described. Perhaps if you have the setup, create a m4a file ripped off a CD using Itunes and see if it works for you. mp3 files work fine too. Incidentally I just tried this test this morning on a 1.0.7 software level.
Thanks for the information. All my m4a files were ripped directly from original CDs using iTunes on my iMac. I'll try ripping a few again directly to a "clean" USB stick and give it another try.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Racer

Thanks for the information. All my m4a files were ripped directly from original CDs using iTunes on my iMac. I'll try ripping a few again directly to a "clean" USB stick and give it another try.
Mine was using iTunes on a Windows 10 PC. I would hope that would not matter.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I've only played Apple Lossless files from my phone via CarPlay. Never tried copying the files to a thumb drive and playing them from there.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gtssenior
Mine was using iTunes on a Windows 10 PC. I would hope that would not matter.
Tried it again and it doesn’t play for me. Since we are both using iTunes to rip the songs the platform (windows or iOS) shouldn’t matter. On the display everything looks normal with album art, name, artist and song title. It even counts down as if it is playing but there is no sound. I can play the same m4a file on the iMac via iTunes and also independently with my home Sonos system from my network drive. Maybe the system in my Acura has a defective codec.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:37 PM
Intermediate

I don't think using a mac vs pc will make a difference in this case. If you are ripping using iTunes and selected lossless encoding, then you are likely forced to use Apple Lossless (ALAC).
I did a little research and it does not look like iTunes supports FLAC, so your best option is probably to use a 3rd party tool to convert your existing Apple Lossless files to FLAC.

Below are a couple of links from Google that may help:
https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-con...ssless-to-FLAC
https://www.boilsoft.com/audioconverter/alactoflac.html

Note: I have not used any of the software noted in these links. Please research and use at your own risk.
The only program I have used and know is safe is Audacity, however there is no easy fully automated way to convert a large quantity of files.
Good luck.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:49 PM
Intermediate

If you are willing to pay for an app, I have used dbpoweramp for years.
The latest software supports both Apple Lossless and FLAC.

There is a 21 day free trial if you only have a limited number of files you are looking to convert. https://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm
Old 12-19-2018, 02:53 PM
Racer

Tried it again and it doesn’t play for me. Since we are both using iTunes to rip the songs the platform (windows or iOS) shouldn’t matter. On the display everything looks normal with album art, name, artist and song title. It even counts down as if it is playing but there is no sound. I can play the same m4a file on the iMac via iTunes and also independently with my home Sonos system from my network drive. Maybe the system in my Acura has a defective codec.
At this point I would take the memory stick in to the dealer to your sales rep and ask to try it on a vehicle in inventory. If it works then you schedule a service appointment for your vehicle when convenient.