Android Auto is not mentioned in any current RDX marketing materials

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Android Auto is not mentioned in any current RDX marketing materials

I am just browsing the Acura site and I don't see any mention of Android Auto. Not even "Coming soon".
The only mention about Android Auto was from news release before the RDX was release in May and also early reviewers.
I also asked client relation and he also linked me to the May news letter.
Is this a bad sign? or they are just covering their butt in case they decided to drop the development.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:14 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
No. It is not a bad sign. Android Auto is certainly “coming soon, to an auto near you.”

Like anything else, if this is important to you, I would wait until actual arrival, view the commentary, oversee the forums for responses on implementation, and then decide. Carplay rollout has not actually been spectacular, FWIW.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Well, the missing android auto was not a deal breaker for me as I decided to buy it without it. I never trust any company's "promise". If I bought the product, not much incentive for any company to follow through. But if they do, it's a plus.

I am just wondering, if this is a feature they are planning to roll out why not put into marketing materials. Then again, Mazda also has no mention of the CarPlay/Auto compatibility on their Mazda 6. So I am guessing there has to be some legal issue preventing car maker from mentioning feature not readily available.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:29 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by omygod711
Well, the missing android auto was not a deal breaker for me as I decided to buy it without it. I never trust any company's "promise". If I bought the product, not much incentive for any company to follow through. But if they do, it's a plus.

I am just wondering, if this is a feature they are planning to roll out why not put into marketing materials. Then again, Mazda also has no mention of the CarPlay/Auto compatibility on their Mazda 6. So I am guessing there has to be some legal issue preventing car maker from mentioning feature not readily available.
That would be my guess.. It has to come out as that was one of my questions on the sale and I was told 100% it would be available late this year.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:29 PM
Touring

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
The dealer told me wireless Android Auto would be available later this year and a software upgrade for those who had already purchased the vehicle. I'm not pursuing a purchase until I see it, as it IS a deal breaker for me.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jcross1231
The dealer told me wireless Android Auto would be available later this year and a software upgrade for those who had already purchased the vehicle. I'm not pursuing a purchase until I see it, as it IS a deal breaker for me.

Then hang on. Not only does it need to be installed, it needs to work the way you want it to work for the things you want it to do.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:39 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jcross1231
I'm not pursuing a purchase until I see it, as it IS a deal breaker for me.
Same boat here.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:38 AM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Sounds
Same boat here.
As you are 99 years old, I wouldn't wait too long.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:43 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by catbert430
As you are 99 years old, I wouldn't wait too long.
The clock's a tickin'
Old 08-28-2018, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool What's the alternative to waiting?

Apple CarPlay? Gawd no! Read that thread. Everyone I've talked to about CarPlay says it sucks... and they all own other model cars.

I was on the fence for the RDX vs. the Infiniti QX50. Infiniti says they might have Android Auto by model year 2021.... really ?! It's not reason I got the RDX, but it was an influencing factor (maybe vs. never). I bet the Acura dealership guys it'd be 6 mos. before we got the update... problem is they're at the mercy of Google to do the update. I don't think the propeller heads at Google are in a hurry to solve a small market problem. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong.

In the meantime I'm doing what I've been doing, using bluetooth with my phone mounted near the steering wheel. the problem with the RDX is the tiny slanted vents. I thought I was screwed, but then I bought a Bestrix Air Vent holder ( http://a.co/d/ipnbcIa ) which fits nicely on the vent to the right of the steering wheel, it has 2 grips, mounts vertically can be rotated at an angle to keep your phone in the vertical position, plus it's close to the USB charging port. Works perfectly on my Note 8. Even with Android Auto, I'm sure there an app I'll want on my phone that doesn't work on the console, so the grip will likely stay. I only wish Android Auto would be so cool I could throw the phone under the console and forget about it.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gadget Freak
Apple CarPlay? Gawd no! Read that thread. Everyone I've talked to about CarPlay says it sucks... and they all own other model cars.

I was on the fence for the RDX vs. the Infiniti QX50. Infiniti says they might have Android Auto by model year 2021.... really ?! It's not reason I got the RDX, but it was an influencing factor (maybe vs. never). I bet the Acura dealership guys it'd be 6 mos. before we got the update... problem is they're at the mercy of Google to do the update. I don't think the propeller heads at Google are in a hurry to solve a small market problem. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong.

In the meantime I'm doing what I've been doing, using bluetooth with my phone mounted near the steering wheel. the problem with the RDX is the tiny slanted vents. I thought I was screwed, but then I bought a Bestrix Air Vent holder ( http://a.co/d/ipnbcIa ) which fits nicely on the vent to the right of the steering wheel, it has 2 grips, mounts vertically can be rotated at an angle to keep your phone in the vertical position, plus it's close to the USB charging port. Works perfectly on my Note 8. Even with Android Auto, I'm sure there an app I'll want on my phone that doesn't work on the console, so the grip will likely stay. I only wish Android Auto would be so cool I could throw the phone under the console and forget about it.
Does the mount tilt your phone toward the steering wheel? You have pic to share how it looked? My vent mount tilt my phone and I have get it to work on the left vent.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by omygod711
Does the mount tilt your phone toward the steering wheel? You have pic to share how it looked? My vent mount tilt my phone and I have get it to work on the left vent.
I use the left/center vent. The Steering wheel will block the direct view of the phone no matter what, you just have to lean over a tad. The vent rotates left right. I haven't had any major issues.

PS: Still waiting on Android Auto!! Haven't seen any rumors. I'm blaming Google for being too damn slow (how many thousand eggheads work there?)

Last edited by Gadget Freak; 09-14-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My concern is that Android Auto and it's modification to work with the RDX touchpad is under Google's control, not Acura's. I don't know that it's going to be a high priority for Google especially given that it only affects one Acura model at this point. If it were a high priority it would be done. Mazda announced the coming of Android Auto for a year if not two before it slowly began rolling out to some of its models.

I'm not counting on it anytime soon. If I'm wrong it will be a pleasant surprise.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:11 AM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mmhouse
My concern is that Android Auto and it's modification to work with the RDX touchpad is under Google's control, not Acura's. I don't know that it's going to be a high priority for Google especially given that it only affects one Acura model at this point. If it were a high priority it would be done. Mazda announced the coming of Android Auto for a year if not two before it slowly began rolling out to some of its models.

I'm not counting on it anytime soon. If I'm wrong it will be a pleasant surprise.
this is spot on. Android Auto only gets updates at Google IO conference, which takes place in May/June. They didn’t announce support this year, so I bet it won’t happen until next May - at the earliest.

for what it’s worth, I’ve been using the iOS beta 12, and I have had no problems with CarPlay. When it is released to the public on Monday, I have a feeling many of the issues will be resolved.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:12 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Can't come soon enough for me. I am having absolutely vexing issues with my Android 7.1 phone and trying to use Assistant for hands free operation.

I have used the same phone with Android Auto in rental Chev's with no issues.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jonarogers

this is spot on. Android Auto only gets updates at Google IO conference, which takes place in May/June. They didn’t announce support this year, so I bet it won’t happen until next May - at the earliest.

for what it’s worth, I’ve been using the iOS beta 12, and I have had no problems with CarPlay. When it is released to the public on Monday, I have a feeling many of the issues will be resolved.
If Acura sold the car saying Android Auto is coming and they don't deliver, do owners have any rights?
Old 09-17-2018, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
If Acura sold the car saying Android Auto is coming and they don't deliver, do owners have any rights?
They didn't say exactly when it's coming so - No.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:54 PM
Intermediate

WooHoo! Just got some inside news. If it's true, the Android Auto update is coming in November. ....we'll see. When I bought my car, I bet the dealership guys, it'd be 6 mos., looks like a good bet (if true).
Old 09-18-2018, 08:01 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
WooHoo! Just got some inside news. If it's true, the Android Auto update is coming in November. ....we'll see. When I bought my car, I bet the dealership guys, it'd be 6 mos., looks like a good bet (if true).
That is what I heard as well... (crosses fingers)
Old 09-18-2018, 08:04 AM
Drifting

I’m looking forward to hearing about its implementation. Even though I am on Apple, I am not all that thrilled with Carplay, and I don’t really like what I am hearing about how Google Maps will be implemented. I have been considering a switch to Android for my next phone, so I remain interested in the AA implementation.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
Just ordered my iPhone XS MAX so I am in Car Play all the way...