Acuralink Connection Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 08:41 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Acuralink Connection Issue

Just bought the 2019 RDX w. Advance. Have a few questions about AcuraLink, and wonder if I can get some help from fellow owners.
1. I used the App to sign up for the free trial. I got 1-year of Security and 6-month of Remote. Is that standard for 2019 RDX?
2. I've never been able to get the Acuralink to work. It always says the car is outside network coverage. Does the car need to be connected to WiFi or some sort of data service to be connected to the App?
3. Does remote starting through the Acuralink require you to install something additional on your engine?
3. I've never been able to use the Blue Link button. Everytime I pressed it, it says "this service requires subscription, please see manual or contact customer service". Could it be related to the connecting issue I got with AcuraLink?

It's been frustrating. Did you get some help from Acura or your dealership to get this thing working? Thanks!
Old 01-06-2019, 12:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealer helped get mine up and running, although my setup did not behave using the dealer's usual technique and required intervention by Acura. Once connected everything has been working fine.
The following users liked this post:
Royki5cp (01-16-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Did you go into the setting and accept that you want your RDX to share its status with the app? Very simple process...go into the Acuralink option on the screen and follow the directions. See if that helps. You can also speak with a live person by pressing the button in the upper console on the roof for assistance.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:33 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by securityguy
Did you go into the setting and accept that you want your RDX to share its status with the app? Very simple process...go into the Acuralink option on the screen and follow the directions. See if that helps. You can also speak with a live person by pressing the button in the upper console on the roof for assistance.
Thank you. That button is not working either; it keeps saying this feature requires subscription... I guess my dealer should connect my car somehow to Acuralink?
Old 01-06-2019, 06:38 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mbhalpern
My dealer helped get mine up and running, although my setup did not behave using the dealer's usual technique and required intervention by Acura. Once connected everything has been working fine.
Thank you. Did the dealership need to connect your car somehow to Acuralink? My blue Link button on the roof is not even working...

Also, does any of the AcuraLink function require the car to be connected to Wifi or any kind of data service? Thanks
Old 01-06-2019, 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by karljian
Also, does any of the AcuraLink function require the car to be connected to Wifi or any kind of data service? Thanks
It does not need to be connected to WiFi.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:08 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
The car needs to be connected to the cellular network for all functions of AcuraLink. These functions include requesting vehicle status, remote engine starting, sending GPS destinations from your cell phone, or to receive traffic updates for the Nav system, The data used by this cellular connection is paid for by your AcuraLink subscription fees. If you don't already know, the RDX has it's own internal cellular "phone", so these AcuraLink communications do not make use of your personal cell phone at all.

So in areas where your cell phone doesn't get a signal, neither will AcuraLink work. This can occur if your car is parked inside a garage, underground parking area, or just rural areas which do not have cell phone coverage.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
^^^ Traffic info is obtained via HD radio, not cellular data.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine doesn’t work either

Mine doesn’t work either. I’ve spoken to support and it should work. The app shows all the gauges from the RDX, but none of the features that are supposed to go from the app to the car work. Ive tried everything, except going to the dealer because I live 2+ hours from the dealer. I hate the app and think you should have the option of the app or the key fob.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:24 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
^^^ Traffic info is obtained via HD radio, not cellular data.
On my 2016 RDX I first noticed that I had lost the traffic icon on the navigation screen. I rarely use AcuraLink, and I subscribe to it primarily to obtain the traffic information.Only after noticing the loss of traffic information did I try using Acuralink, and noticed that I could no longer obtain updated information from the RDX.

The dealer replaced the Telematics Control Unit (TCU), which resolved both the traffic and AcuraLink problems at the same time. I was told the unit required replacement because the phone companies were discontinuing their older cellular technologies, and the new TCU operated on the newer generation of networks.

Because traffic info was included in my AcuraLink subscription, and I lost the traffic info at the same time AcuraLink failed, and both problems occurred because the original TCU could no longer connect after the older cell technology was shut down, I only made the assumption that the traffic information was obtained over the cellular network. Also the traffic information would advise me of any slowdown along my entire route even though it could be several 100's of kilometers away. I had always thought that HD radio could only give information on the nearby roads, similar to what Garmin uses in it's LTM models.

So I have no documentation to prove that traffic info is received over the cell network, my conclusion was only made by my observations. Perhaps the method of obtaining traffic changed from Gen 2 to Gen 3.

If you have a reference that explains this I would be interested in learning more about it.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
...So I have no documentation to prove that traffic info is received over the cell network, my conclusion was only made by my observations. Perhaps the method of obtaining traffic changed from Gen 2 to Gen 3.

If you have a reference that explains this I would be interested in learning more about it.
Looks like we both may be correct on this one. From page 71 of the Navigation manual:
Traffic information via HD radio is available only in certain areas, and it relies on a clear signal. When it is not available via the radio, traffic data is received via the internet.
From the second statement (regarding internet) one could assume it's the built in cellular capability but it's not stated that way and might be the case only if the vehicle is connected to the internet via a cell phone hot spot.

I've personally never seen traffic data outside of metropolitan areas on any vehicle (not just the RDX), and to the best of my knowledge that's the only area where it's compiled and made available. On my previously owned Cadillac traffic and weather was available via SiriusXM by subscription and even with that I don't ever recall seeing traffic data in more rural areas.

Further muddying the waters are these statements from page 37 regarding the navigation system connected features:
Enable: The navigation system is connected to online server for the most up-to-date driving and POI information.
with no mention of traffic dataf (although 'driving' could include traffic), and...

The navigation system provides features through a connection with on online server. By enabling navigation system connected features, the Vehicle Identification Number, location and usage information may be shared with HERE.....
...again vague at best as to what is being shared or provided.

Unfortunately the owners manual itself is effectively silent on anything having to do with the navigation system leaving us with the 'It Could Be a Lot Better' navigation manual and the 'Useless For All But The Most Basic Information' printed owners guide that comes with the vehicle.

If anyone has any definitive information on either 'traffic data' or 'connected services' I too would be very interested in reading it.

Last edited by MI-RDX; 01-07-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:52 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have got mine somewhat working. I tried three times now to set up a trip via the Acuralink, and no success. It said on my ipad device that it was sent to the vehicle, but when I get to the car and select downloaded destinations, the screen is empty. I did finally get my app to lock, unlock the car, and it shows my gas tank amount, the distance traveled total. That was a pain, because I had to go to the car, authorize my app to use the phone or ipad and connect to wifi, still did not work instantly. But later that day the data started showing up on the ipad and phone. My next stop will be coustomer support to see if they can tell me why my planned trips are not showing up on the navation screen. Good luck, I think Acuralink had a lot of work to do, and should have been tested better before releasing the car to the public.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Advanced

Same here, not able to get the trips sent to the car. Surely my car doesn't have to be outside in order to get the download. My car is in the garage, so if it does have to be outside to download, then Acurlink is BS and I have no need to renew the app.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Royki5cp
Same here, not able to get the trips sent to the car. Surely my car doesn't have to be outside in order to get the download. My car is in the garage, so if it does have to be outside to download, then Acurlink is BS and I have no need to renew the app.
It's been pretty well determined by a number of forum members that trip destinations will only be received by the car if the ignition is 'on'. Supposedly it's being looked into by Acura.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:52 PM
Pro

If anyone has any definitive information on either 'traffic data' or 'connected services' I too would be very interested in reading it.
Thanks for that information. My 2016 manual definitely says that an AcuraLink subscription is required to obtain traffic information. We know that AcuraLink requires 2 way communications in order to send back the vehicle status to our phones, and HD radio is only one way.

The only mention of traffic reception in my 2016 Navigation manual is the following. Since it mentions that traffic information is available in major metropolitan areas, you would assume it is using HD radio. Yet experience shows me that I get traffic reports well outside of major cities, which you would assume is using the cellular network.

We will see if any other members have anything to chime in with.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
I suddenly have a new issue with the app. I recently changed a favorite, deleting one and adding a new one. The next day, the old one was back. I redid it, thinking I must have done something wrong, and I also added 4 or 5 favorite destinations for an upcoming trip and deleted 2. Just looked, and the new ones are gone, and the old favorites are back. It’s worked fine up until this week.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:06 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
In regard to traffic data, there are several issues: someone needs to gather the data, it needs to get to the car, and usually someone needs to pay for it. Sometimes the "someone" is advertisers, but that's not always transparent.

AFAIK the major sources don't gather traffic data outside of major metro areas. One exception is INRIX, and they provide a free smartphone app that can display traffic data. I believe INRIX primarily relies upon transceivers installed in commercial vehicles to acquire data on traffic flow, and commercial vehicles travel everywhere. I believe it is also being crowd-sourced at this time, using data acquired from users of its smartphone app and in-car devices from some auto manufacturers.

Exceptions to "pay to play" are smartphone apps such as Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze, ( also crowd-sourced ), but these require internet access ( via cellular data ) and aren't running natively on the vehicle's electronics.

SiriusXM provides a service via satellite radio that was used by many previous Acura vehicles, including the ILX cited above, and 2nd-gen RDX. The subscription for this service is paid through AcuraLink. AFAIK this is NOT used in 2019 Acura RDX. Ever.

HERE provides a service, primarily via HD radio. This is the contracted service for 2019 RDX. I don't know what the deal is with the "back-up internet service" but I'll bet it's HERE data provided via hotspot subscription. ( Assuming there's any truth to the comment in the Owner's Manual ). But it still won't be available if HERE doesn't gather the data for a particular area.
MI-RDX (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Had not heard of INRIX before - looks interesting. Will have to D/L the app and play with it a bit.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:24 PM
4th Gear

My app just started with a new issue--I can remote start and unlock, but vehicle status hasn't updated since end of December.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Advanced

Ok, I tried to send a destination to my car, which was in my garage. It did not work even though it said it was sent. Then I got in my car and backed up to the driveway and sent another destination using my cell phone with AcuraLink app. This downloaded immediately, so I guess you have to be in the car, with it running, and outside with your cell phone in you hand to send the destination to the car. What a P.O.S.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:02 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
My Acuralink seems to connect well with the vehicle, but it has one quirk that is just a minor issue, but probably is not working as designed. About once a week I have to go into Support => Vehicle Data Collection and retoggle the setting to "allow" in order for the app to function fully. I am not sure why it reverts to "block" under the covers on its own. At least there is a prompt on the main screen to advise to perform this action to view all of the vehicle measurements.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:37 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by gtssenior
My Acuralink seems to connect well with the vehicle, but it has one quirk that is just a minor issue, but probably is not working as designed. About once a week I have to go into Support => Vehicle Data Collection and retoggle the setting to "allow" in order for the app to function fully. I am not sure why it reverts to "block" under the covers on its own. At least there is a prompt on the main screen to advise to perform this action to view all of the vehicle measurements.
yeah, mine randomly goes to block. Usually on the app, though.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:03 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Ofc129
My app just started with a new issue--I can remote start and unlock, but vehicle status hasn't updated since end of December.
Mine has always been just the opposite - the vehicle's status (odometer, gas, maintenance) updates the second I start the app. But I have never been able to execute a remote command. The support rep was able to beep the horn in my garage while I was on the phone with her, so there's nothing wrong with the car. I'm waiting for a callback from their troubleshooting "engineers" but I don't expect a successful outcome. According to reviews on Google Play, the app get 2 / 5 starts. The Android version of the app simply doesn't work for most users.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:40 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Strange, my app works perfectly fine. It only updates vehicle status when I tell it to, but otherwise, the remote stuff all work fine.

I used Android, Samsung S8+ w/ most up to date Android version...whatever that is.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:24 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by al28
Strange, my app works perfectly fine. ...
Like I said - most users. Just look at the reviews on Google Play.

I heard back from AcuraLink and there's nothing more they can do. It works for them so they just say the problem is me or my phone. I would think losing the revenue from thousands of potential subscribers would prompt them to develop a more robust and reliable app. Other car companies manage to do it.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Like I said - most users. Just look at the reviews on Google Play.

I heard back from AcuraLink and there's nothing more they can do. It works for them so they just say the problem is me or my phone. I would think losing the revenue from thousands of potential subscribers would prompt them to develop a more robust and reliable app. Other car companies manage to do it.
I assume you did the whole log out, delete app, restart the phone, remove the phone from the care, and start all over again?
Old 03-07-2019, 09:29 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
My understanding is that AcuraLink is free for a period of time, (I know, I should look it up) Does the timer start on delivery or on first activation? I love my RDX, and haven't seen any need to use AcuraLink, but may try it out. I wonder if I have lost 6 weeks of it since I took delivery. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
My understanding is that AcuraLink is free for a period of time,....
Some functions are free forever, some are not. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for specifics.

https://acuralink.acura.com/#/compatibility?year=2019&model=RDX
JB in AZ (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 09:40 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

I assume you did the whole log out, delete app, restart the phone, remove the phone from the care, and start all over again?
Yup. Inside the car, car on, engine on, away from the car, over wifi, over 4G, with bluetooth on, bluetooth off, paired, unpaired, etc., ... you name it.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:46 AM
Burning Brakes

While on the subject of AcuraLink one of the 'free' basic services is supposed to be a monthly vehicle 'health report'.
VEHICLE HEALTH REPORT
Stay ahead of the curve with monthly reports of your vehicle's status delivered to your inbox.

Has anyone received one? I know I haven't.

Last edited by MI-RDX; 03-08-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:06 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
While on the subject of AcuraLink one of the 'free' basic services is supposed to be a monthly vehicle 'health report'.
Now that you mention it, I just checked my email, and I haven't received one since the end of November.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:25 AM
Drifting

I got one on 2/28. They are kind of random, though. Monthly? Is that like the quarterly map updates of which there have been none?
Old 03-08-2019, 07:38 AM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DrWoo
Now that you mention it, I just checked my email, and I haven't received one since the end of November.
Got two so far. 1/22 and 2/28
This is the one from January.

Regards -------------

Old 03-08-2019, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheLevelOne
Got two so far. 1/22 and 2/28
This is the one from January....
Now that I know what it looks like I'm absolutely positive I've never received one.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Just bought the 2019 RDX w. Advance. Have a few questions about AcuraLink, and wonder if I can get some help from fellow owners.
1. I used the App to sign up for the free trial. I got 1-year of Security and 6-month of Remote. Is that standard for 2019 RDX?
2. I've never been able to get the Acuralink to work. It always says the car is outside network coverage. Does the car need to be connected to WiFi or some sort of data service to be connected to the App?
3. Does remote starting through the Acuralink require you to install something additional on your engine?
3. I've never been able to use the Blue Link button. Everytime I pressed it, it says "this service requires subscription, please see manual or contact customer service". Could it be related to the connecting issue I got with AcuraLink?

It's been frustrating. Did you get some help from Acura or your dealership to get this thing working? Thanks!
When the first update occurred my AcuraLink stopped working. I had forgotten to let the car "share data". Have you done the following:

You can also set up a Vehicle Data Collection by the following procedure.

1. Press the (home) button.
2. Select AcuraLink.
3. Select MENU.
4. Select Vehicle Data Collection.
5. Select Allow or Block.

• Allow: Sends the vehicle location data, diagnostic information, driving behavior data and phone data
when you have previously allowed it when you connect a phone with Bluetooth®.
• Block: Does not send the vehicle location data, diagnostic information, driving behavior data.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:59 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
For sure all this should have been covered by your Acura sales rep. You definitely need help.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:08 AM
Skeptic

One thing I'm not sure about is when I access the AcuraLink app in the car with my phone disabled (Wifi, GPS, Bluetooth and 4G data all turned off), I get a message in the car containing a 6-digit "authentication code" that's good for 48 hours. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with that code. I do remember when I registered on the web site, there was a place to enter a 6-digit code but I wasn't in the car at the time and I don't know where to enter it now.

When I pair my phone with the car on Bluetooth, both the phone and car display a code and all I do is press OK and they pair. Not sure if that's the same thing. Anyway, Bluetooth shouldn't matter with remote functions.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:18 PM
Drifting

You need to set up an account on owners.acura.com, with an e-mail address, and IIRC there's something in the AcuraLink section about authenticating internet connection to your car. This security measure is probably desirable.

https://acuralink.acura.com/#/

I have received "vehicle status" e-mails, but since October they seem to be going to my wife's e-mail address, perhaps because we also have an AcuraLink account for her vehicle (?). She has been forwarding them to me and I haven't bothered to dig into it.

In the overall context of the AcuraLink "experience", I consider that glitch quaint and amusing.

The AcuraLink cellular service has spotty coverage. The "L" in the AcuraLink logo at the top of the infotainment system display ( right pane ), gets little arcs in it for each "bar" of cellular service.
JB in AZ (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 02:21 PM
Drifting

Correction. In 2019 RDX the AcuraLink signal strength icon looks like a car cut in half, with arcs emitting from it. It's an "L" in 3rd-gen MDX.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:41 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
I have received 2 of these health reports already. One was just a few days ago.