2021 RDX-How to disable the adaptive part of the cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 03:45 PM
TR3
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 RDX-How to disable the adaptive part of the cruise control?

Can anyone tell me how to disable the adaptive part of the cruise control on my 2021 RDX ? Distracting and I think dangerous.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,041 Likes on 3,575 Posts
Let Me Google That For You: https://www.acurainfocenter.com/the-...se-control-acc
The following users liked this post:
tecwerks (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 06:31 PM
TR3
6th Gear

I tried, but not too internet savvy, thank you.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:15 PM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
@Chief F1 Fan The like was for your signature and while we are at it, The F1 sprint was bad ass. Should be a great race tomorrow……
Chief F1 Fan (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 07:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,041 Likes on 3,575 Posts
Thanks, too bad George got penalized 3 positions out of the top 10 but deserved. Alonso was the star of the sprint IMO.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:24 AM
8th Gear

There must be something very unique about the RDX, very few owners seem to have owners manuals! That being said, with the cruise control main power on, but the cruise not active, push and hold the center button on the lower row on the right side steering wheel spoke that looks like a car with lines behind it. After a few seconds the cruise control dash indicator will say “Cruise Mode” and the system will operate like a normal cruise control.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TR3
Can anyone tell me how to disable the adaptive part of the cruise control on my 2021 RDX ? Distracting and I think dangerous.
Unfortunate you don't like that feature. I love it, because I can change the distance setting to what I want or need dependent on the traffic conditions.

From the manual:To cancel ACC with Low Speed Follow, do any

of the following:

• Press the CANCEL button.

• Press the MAIN button. The ACC with Low Speed Follow indicator (green) goes off.

• Depress the brake pedal while the vehicle is moving forward.

To Cancel

Resuming the prior set speed: After you have

canceled ACC with Low Speed Follow, you can

resume the prior set speed while it is still displayed.

Press the RES/+/SET/– switch up.

The set speed cannot be set or resumed when ACC

with Low Speed Follow has been turned off using the

MAIN button. Press the MAIN button to activate the

system, then set the desired speed.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:25 PM
TR3
6th Gear

Tr3

Originally Posted by RonO
There must be something very unique about the RDX, very few owners seem to have owners manuals! That being said, with the cruise control main power on, but the cruise not active, push and hold the center button on the lower row on the right side steering wheel spoke that looks like a car with lines behind it. After a few seconds the cruise control dash indicator will say “Cruise Mode” and the system will operate like a normal cruise control.
thank you, I admit I am old stupid man, and find nothing in the manuals about this. Will try this, next trip out of town.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:44 PM
8th Gear

Manuals are getting so complicated (as are the cars) that it takes a lot of time to find what you need. If your 2021 manual is the same as mine, it’s on page 315.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:08 PM
TR3
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RonO
Manuals are getting so complicated (as are the cars) that it takes a lot of time to find what you need. If your 2021 manual is the same as mine, it’s on page 315.
thank you, found it. 313 in mine. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:25 AM
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Why would anyone want to disable the adaptive cruise? This is my third car with Adaptive Cruise Control. I will never purchase a vehicle that does not come with adaptive cruise. it is the best thing going for highway driving, especially for long distances. A year ago, I drove from Pennsylvania to Chicago using adaptive cruise. The only time I don't use it is in heavy traffic that has slowed significantly below the posted speed limit for an extended time. I've used adaptive cruise to drive from Pennsylvania all the way up to Quebec City, which was two and a half hours further away than Montreal. I love this feature. Adaptive cruise is no more dangerous than your brake pedal. A study earlier this year showed that total reliance on adaptive cruise increases the risk of an accident. That is the driver's problem. People tend to set a feature (like autopilot in a plane) and forget it. The study showed too many drivers turn on adaptive cruise and become distracted by focusing on something else. They let themselves get distracted at high speed on the highway. Or, they use adaptive cruise in congested traffic which is stupid. The problem, then, is that people don't know HOW to properly use the feature. I use it all the time on the highway locally and driving across country or to another country like Canada. I've never come close to having an accident because I continue to pay attention. I don't do anything different than I would without adaptive cruise other than relax my feet. Adaptive Cruise Control is one of the best features added to automobiles in the last few years. Like I said, I will never buy another vehicle that does not have it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Trek:
kboo74656 (07-23-2021), marcolou (11-05-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 01:22 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek
Why would anyone want to disable the adaptive cruise?
Not to be critical of the original poster, but that's what I was wondering, too. My wife is the last person to adopt anything new, and she jumped right on this. It's something we wish we'd had 30 years ago and hard to do without now. Fortunately, we now have 2 cars that both incorporate it. She also likes the lane change warnings for traffic.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:59 PM
TR3
6th Gear

Tr3

Originally Posted by jcross1231
Not to be critical of the original poster, but that's what I was wondering, too. My wife is the last person to adopt anything new, and she jumped right on this. It's something we wish we'd had 30 years ago and hard to do without now. Fortunately, we now have 2 cars that both incorporate it. She also likes the lane change warnings for traffic.
Probably just not used to the function. Has been an uncomfortable experience so far. Will try to give it a chance.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:50 AM
TR3
6th Gear

Tr3

Why would anyone want to disable the adaptive cruise? This is my third car with Adaptive Cruise Control. I will never purchase a vehicle that does not come with adaptive cruise. it is the best thing going for highway driving, especially for long distances. A year ago, I drove from Pennsylvania to Chicago using adaptive cruise. The only time I don't use it is in heavy traffic that has slowed significantly below the posted speed limit for an extended time. I've used adaptive cruise to drive from Pennsylvania all the way up to Quebec City, which was two and a half hours further away than Montreal. I love this feature. Adaptive cruise is no more dangerous than your brake pedal. A study earlier this year showed that total reliance on adaptive cruise increases the risk of an accident. That is the driver's problem. People tend to set a feature (like autopilot in a plane) and forget it. The study showed too many drivers turn on adaptive cruise and become distracted by focusing on something else. They let themselves get distracted at high speed on the highway. Or, they use adaptive cruise in congested traffic which is stupid. The problem, then, is that people don't know HOW to properly use the feature. I use it all the time on the highway locally and driving across country or to another country like Canada. I've never come close to having an accident because I continue to pay attention. I don't do anything different than I would without adaptive cruise other than relax my feet. Adaptive Cruise Control is one of the best features added to automobiles in the last few years. Like I said, I will never buy another vehicle that does not have it.
I already admitted to being stupid, thank you for reinforcing that notion.
RonO (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 10:02 AM
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by TR3
I already admitted to being stupid, thank you for reinforcing that notion.
I doubt that anyone intended to make you feel that way.

I personally found “regular” cruise control to be almost useless on Pennsylvania and New Jersey interstates. With the level of traffic, you constantly need to brake and resume.

The adaptive cruise control handles that brilliantly with the following distance set to nearest. I use it regularly and love it. On previous vehicles with regular cruise, I found it frustrating even in light traffic.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:19 AM
8th Gear

I'm on your side TR3! I didn't have to look up the procedure to disable the ACC before I told you because I frequently do disable it. I find that on the interstate the ACC will very subtlely (real word?) slow my vehicle down and I don't realize it. In bright sunlight the speedometer in my A-Spec dash is very hard to read and I can go for miles not realizing that my speed has been reduced. The other instance is when I'm waiting for another car to pass me and I pull in behind him to pass the car in front of me and my ACC applies my brakes, not a comfortable feeling if there is another car behind you traveling at 70 MPH. Bottom line, try it and you may find it a nice feature under some conditions, not so in others. Its your car and it is a fun car to drive, enjoy it!
marcolou (11-05-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 11:32 AM
Touring

ACC is one thing that's improved over my '16 RDX. When the previous one started tracking a car ahead of me, there would be an obvious change in speed. It would slow down too much, then creep up to a closer distance and maintain speed with a bit of a surge. The 2021 is smooth about the whole thing. It also regains speed quicker when you pull out to pass. The '16 would take all day to get going again, overshoot the target speed and fumble around a bit settling back down.
Jim7707 (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by jcross1231
ACC is one thing that's improved over my '16 RDX. When the previous one started tracking a car ahead of me, there would be an obvious change in speed. It would slow down too much, then creep up to a closer distance and maintain speed with a bit of a surge. The 2021 is smooth about the whole thing. It also regains speed quicker when you pull out to pass. The '16 would take all day to get going again, overshoot the target speed and fumble around a bit settling back down.
Good info. I use ACC all the time in my 2016 on almost all roads. But I use in in kind of hybrid mode where I take over when it senses a car ahead for the very reasons you stated since I like smooth and not herky-jerky. My #1 like about it being able to set the speed digitally.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:22 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by Jim7707
Good info. I use ACC all the time in my 2016 on almost all roads. But I use in in kind of hybrid mode where I take over when it senses a car ahead for the very reasons you stated since I like smooth and not herky-jerky. My #1 like about it being able to set the speed digitally.
Yeah, I get that. After a while, you learn when to pull out to pass on roads like Interstates so that you don't get close enough for the system to start tracking the car you're moving up on. What I like is you can step on the gas to override the cruise. You can actually slow down by not pressing on the gas pedal very much. It helps overcome the stumble you get when the acquisition takes place. The digital setting is great, too - along with being able to change it in increments of 5 mph. I suppose a lot of people have had this for a while. I didn't have it on the (older) Accords I'd been driving up to that time.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Why would anyone want to disable the adaptive cruise? it.
I use this in case when in winter time front sensor freeze up and getting message "Sensor obstructed"
Old 08-12-2021, 07:11 AM
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by garunas
I use this in case when in winter time front sensor freeze up and getting message "Sensor obstructed"
I was in Canada a couple of years ago driving a Jaguar with adaptive cruise. We were in a driving rainstorm. This wasn't normal heavy rain. It was a monsoon, crazy rain coming down in sheets. The adaptive cruise sensor stopped working. If that happens simply stop depending on it to break for you and use the cruise control like non-adaptive cruise control on older cars. There was no reason for me to disable it. As soon as the storm passed the sensor was functioning again. On the rare occasion that that happens it is already disabled on its own but temporarily. I don't see the necessity for you to permanently disable it. I like the adaptive cruise on my RDX even better than the one on my former Jaguar. Remember, if adaptive cruise was dangerous it wouldn't be permitted to be installed. Moreover, your insurance would have a problem with it. Adaptive cruise is a safety feature. No offense intended, but I think you are just too scared to use it, so you are looking for an excuse to disable it.

Last edited by Trek; 08-12-2021 at 07:14 AM.