Why so much hate for the touch pad ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 03:26 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Why so much hate for the touch pad ?

Having done so much research on my RDX prior to purchase and hearing pretty much every reviewer trash the touch pad and many on this board trash it as well.
I have to say, outside of trying to enter a address in with the touch pad the day I got the car (which IS annoying) , nothing in the infotainment bothers me in the least.
The touch pad works and as a result, the screen doesn't have a million finger prints on it and I don't have to lunge forward to control it.
To me, the tech in the car is pretty great and the stereo is AMAZING. Maybe its different before the refresh, but everything seems to work pretty damn well.
I am not sure why some people get so worked up over this issue...its so easy to get used to after a week or so of use.
The following 3 users liked this post by SilverJ:
clevernamehere (11-21-2023), DaddyCool (11-20-2023), ns324 (11-21-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 03:57 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
touch pad

If you use android Auto (I use WAZE, for example), the touchpad doesn't work the same way. It no longer mirrors the place you put your fingertip on the pad, and since there is no cursor, you have no idea where you are on a screen until you highlight a button or some other screen item. You have to move around willy nilly until something lights up, then you know where you are (for that moment) .
Makes working with WAZE in AA horrible.
The following 2 users liked this post by rdxny:
pilozm (12-03-2023), spinedoc777 (12-13-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
The same issue with WAZE in CarPlay and Apple Maps. Works great with all other Native functions of the Infotainment System. Have resigned myself to using Siri to program CarPlay and Apple Maps.
The following users liked this post:
quikj (11-21-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
I enjoy the touchpad. I hate hate fingerprints on screens so not having to clean a touchscreen every week is nice. Also not having to touch the screen means it’s positioned further forward and more in view when driving you barely have to look away to see what’s on screen. I’ve never had an issue with Apply CarPlay. I don’t own, and never will, an android phone so any complaints about that don’t apply. CarPlay leaves where the “cursor” is constantly highlighted so navigation is easy.
The following 3 users liked this post by Twism86:
amcobra (11-21-2023), clevernamehere (11-21-2023), Jmar55 (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 06:40 PM
mvl
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 136 Posts
Agree that if you don't use Android Auto / Carplay, the touchpad is great as Acura had lots of engineering studies to make a great hardware/software combination that is efficient to drive with although it takes 5-10 minutes to learn.

Android Auto / Carplay did not build a special UI for the touchpad, instead they use their physical-knob UI with works horribly with the touchpad, to the point where I feel like Android Auto / Carplay is dangerous to use. It is safer for me to hold a phone in my hand while driving and enter destinations than it is to use the touchpad, and handheld driving is so unsafe that it is banned in most jurisdictions.

So if you are comfortable with Acura-software only then there really isn't any issue with the touchpad after the 5 minute learning curve. If you rely on Carplay/AndroidAuto, it is so dangerous that I have to keep pulling over and slowly fumble with it on the side of the road, before driving again - not a convenient way to use infotainment.
The following 2 users liked this post by mvl:
RDX10 (11-21-2023), rdxny (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 09:50 PM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
I use CarPlay and the touchpad is just awful for it. Add in that the infotainment system is just slow and the touchpad is terrible. I'm a touchscreen skeptic but the ones I've used were all better than the touchpad.
The following 3 users liked this post by supafamous:
hand-filer (11-23-2023), pilozm (12-03-2023), RDX10 (11-21-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 10:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mvl
Agree that if you don't use Android Auto / Carplay, the touchpad is great as Acura had lots of engineering studies to make a great hardware/software combination that is efficient to drive with although it takes 5-10 minutes to learn.

Android Auto / Carplay did not build a special UI for the touchpad, instead they use their physical-knob UI with works horribly with the touchpad, to the point where I feel like Android Auto / Carplay is dangerous to use. It is safer for me to hold a phone in my hand while driving and enter destinations than it is to use the touchpad, and handheld driving is so unsafe that it is banned in most jurisdictions.

So if you are comfortable with Acura-software only then there really isn't any issue with the touchpad after the 5 minute learning curve. If you rely on Carplay/AndroidAuto, it is so dangerous that I have to keep pulling over and slowly fumble with it on the side of the road, before driving again - not a convenient way to use infotainment.
I use Android Auto. When I use the Google Maps, I have it set up to respond to voice commands if needed but usually I just enter in my destination address in the phone (or just "ok google, navigate HERE" and let it do its thing. Not sure what's dangerous about it...how often do you need to adjust the map while driving ?
Old 11-20-2023, 10:57 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
I use Android Auto. When I use the Google Maps, I have it set up to respond to voice commands if needed but usually I just enter in my destination address in the phone (or just "ok google, navigate HERE" and let it do its thing. Not sure what's dangerous about it...how often do you need to adjust the map while driving ?
I rarely adjust the map while driving with CarPlay. I've found that Siri works really well for most things. It would be nice if the touchpad worked the same as the native Acura interface though.
Jmar55 (11-21-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 11:39 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Of course I would like a touch screen more than the touchpad, but I've gotten used to the touch pad and don't hate it. Its not perfect by any means, but I like it better than the scroll wheels. Since I use AA a lot, google voice commands work nicely for it.
quikj (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 02:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 881 Likes on 674 Posts
I think the issue for a lot of people is that the touchpad solves a question that nobody had. They could have just as easily used a nice crisp touchscreen that is positioned lower in the dash (get rid of that stupid giant sport mode wheel) and I guarantee it would have sold even more. It's kind of like how so many automakers in the early 2010's adopted touch sensitive buttons vs real buttons and it was universally loathed.
ELIN (11-23-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 05:11 AM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Me and my RDX touchpad work just as well as my laptop computer. Most of the time the RDX and laptop perform great, but occasionally I screwup. Using Waze with iPhone is my preference for navigation. Nothing is perfect (including me ) nor could I ever image anything with 100% likes when technology moves faster than light and vehicle improvements are based on profits not convenience,
Old 11-21-2023, 07:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 228 Posts
All infotainment systems are a pain in the @ss when driving solo on a long trip and getting a warning on the screen from a map (Acura's or Apple CarPlay) that you have to try to use the touch pad to acknowledge it. Way too many time the system resets itself to the map of the whole state, "speed warning ahead" or "which alternative route do you want to take?"- then for safety I have to pull over and restart the destination. Thats frustrating to say the least.

In day-day normal driving, never touch the touch pad.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Twism86
I enjoy the touchpad. I hate hate fingerprints on screens so not having to clean a touchscreen every week is nice. Also not having to touch the screen means it’s positioned further forward and more in view when driving you barely have to look away to see what’s on screen. I’ve never had an issue with Apply CarPlay. I don’t own, and never will, an android phone so any complaints about that don’t apply. CarPlay leaves where the “cursor” is constantly highlighted so navigation is easy.
Funny, as a software engineer, I feel this way about Apple products!

More on topic, I like the TouchPad. I enjoy the benefit of not having fingerprints on the screen and the location within my line of sight. Also, I use voice commands for calling someone, entering an address, changing Spotify playlists... I find that voice commands are faster and safer than the TouchPad or a touchscreen.

Changing settings in the native UI or switching between Android Auto and the built in Navi, I find to be pretty intuitive.

Yes, I'd prefer that in Android Auto, the TouchPad was mapped 1:1 like in the native UI, but that's an optimization that's not so important to me.

I'm also in the minority that likes the drive mode selector. I have an A-Spec Advance in SoCal. I almost always change the drive mode at least once on every drive, and the prominent selector is well positioned for my purposes.
The following 2 users liked this post by quikj:
amcobra (11-21-2023), clevernamehere (11-23-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 04:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by quikj
Funny, as a software engineer, I feel this way about Apple products!

More on topic, I like the TouchPad. I enjoy the benefit of not having fingerprints on the screen and the location within my line of sight. Also, I use voice commands for calling someone, entering an address, changing Spotify playlists... I find that voice commands are faster and safer than the TouchPad or a touchscreen.

Changing settings in the native UI or switching between Android Auto and the built in Navi, I find to be pretty intuitive.

Yes, I'd prefer that in Android Auto, the TouchPad was mapped 1:1 like in the native UI, but that's an optimization that's not so important to me.

I'm also in the minority that likes the drive mode selector. I have an A-Spec Advance in SoCal. I almost always change the drive mode at least once on every drive, and the prominent selector is well positioned for my purposes.
I agree with almost all of this. As a fellow engineer .
Especially the one about never owning any Apple products. Slick marketing != superior product.

quikj (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 10:38 AM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
I'd like the touch pad more (or maybe I should say dislike it less) if it acted more like the touch pad on a computer so that the cursor (such as it is) would stay where it was when you lifted your finger rather than going back to home or disappearing altogether.

I vastly prefer the knob that was on the Gen 2 over the touch pad and vastly prefer either over a touch screen. Touch screens are OK on phones and tablets but don't belong in cars, IMO. As always, YMMV...

As for Apple products...I think their software generally leaves a lot to be desired, lots of it is buggy and the UI sucks on many of the products. Their hardware, tho way overpriced, is usually very good altho they definitely have had some screw-ups. I really dislike Windows (XP was decent, tho) and mostly prefer Linux in some form and it runs very well on Intel Macs. But I digress...

FWIW, I'm a software engineer too (retired)...

Last edited by markAZ; 11-22-2023 at 10:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by markAZ:
markm929 (11-22-2023), quikj (11-23-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 05:50 PM
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
I love the touch pad. Have enough touch screens in my life and I can use the touchpad while barely glancing at the screen most of the time. I also like the fact that they went with a unique looking console rather than slap a big screen above the shifter like everyone else. If I wanted a CRV or Tiguan interior, I would have bought one.

My only real gripe about the infotainment is the right "card" screen forgetting its setting after you turn off the car, which is just lazy programming. But not as lazy as leaving the word "minimal" on the dash screen.

Last edited by jmhumr; 11-22-2023 at 05:55 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jmhumr:
amcobra (11-22-2023), quikj (11-23-2023), RDX10 (11-23-2023), SG103 (11-27-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 04:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jmhumr
I love the touch pad. Have enough touch screens in my life and I can use the touchpad while barely glancing at the screen most of the time. I also like the fact that they went with a unique looking console rather than slap a big screen above the shifter like everyone else. If I wanted a CRV or Tiguan interior, I would have bought one.

My only real gripe about the infotainment is the right "card" screen forgetting its setting after you turn off the car, which is just lazy programming. But not as lazy as leaving the word "minimal" on the dash screen.
The "minimal" has to be the most annoying thing they could have done with that. Like you guys really couldn't do better? Come on!
Old 11-23-2023, 05:15 AM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
The touch pad for Acura functions is fine. It is definitely wonky and requiring of more driver attention than warranted when in CarPlay mode. This is a shame because otherwise it works fine once you learn the steering wheel and voice shortcuts. I also load any addresses into my calendar on phone so address just comes up as a suggestion in CarPlay for navigation.
Old 11-23-2023, 07:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The infotainment system and touchpad is solely why I wouldn't buy they RDX again. It's more aggravating than useful. Plus the fake double screen.
Old 11-24-2023, 10:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,584 Likes on 954 Posts
Honestly, it depends who you ask. When Acura came up with dual screen, 99% of the reviewers bashed it and non owners started the trend of saying that the dual screen isn't good. After using it for 2.5 years, I love the dual screens in my MDX. It's very clean, I have my GPS on one screen and the rest at the bottom.

The touchpad is the same. Very few actual owners have any issue with the system. Most of the negative comments come from reviewers, who use the system for 2 hours and non owners.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
RDX10 (11-24-2023), SilverJ (11-24-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 10:42 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Honestly, it depends who you ask. When Acura came up with dual screen, 99% of the reviewers bashed it and non owners started the trend of saying that the dual screen isn't good. After using it for 2.5 years, I love the dual screens in my MDX. It's very clean, I have my GPS on one screen and the rest at the bottom.

The touchpad is the same. Very few actual owners have any issue with the system. Most of the negative comments come from reviewers, who use the system for 2 hours and non owners.
I tend to agree. I was so ready to hate it as soon as I got my car and tried to put in an address...I IDID indeed hate it. It took a week or so to get used to it and embrace Android auto
and now it doesn't bother me in the least. For people to say they wouldn't buy an entire car over the touchpad is just lunacy.
It really is a non factor once you get used to it.
quikj (11-27-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 12:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,584 Likes on 954 Posts
I tend to agree. I was so ready to hate it as soon as I got my car and tried to put in an address...I IDID indeed hate it. It took a week or so to get used to it and embrace Android auto
and now it doesn't bother me in the least. For people to say they wouldn't buy an entire car over the touchpad is just lunacy.
It really is a non factor once you get used to it.
Thank you, That's my point. Someone saying I won't buy a car because of touchpad makes me laugh. Acura is selling over 100,000 cars with touchpad each year lol. and Lexus sold over 350,000 cars/year with their touchpad.

Old 11-24-2023, 03:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tony Pac

I really like the dual screen setup and I think Acura was genuinely on to something with that. Now look at all the ultra luxury brands like Audi in the S8/Q8, the Range rover lineup, Jaguar Lineup too. The dual screen setup was amazing, I just wish they would have kept it but maybe improved it, higher resolution screen...etc.
Old 11-26-2023, 08:02 AM
Retired Geezer

Received 126 Likes on 83 Posts
My RDX is 3.5 years old. Using the touch pad has become 2nd nature to me. Once you develop the muscle memory the touch pad works like a charm. I like that the nav screen is not buried lower in the dash, so using the touch pad while looking out the windshield works. My biggest gripe is the glitchiness of the audio system using the touch pad. Compared to 3.5 years ago the audio touch pad interface is light years better because of the numerous software updates. However, every now and then, I still get the “ initializing “ message requiring pulling and reinserting the usb plug.
Tony Pac (11-26-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 09:31 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got our 21 a few days ago and the radio is a bit much at first. As most state, the Acura interface is much better with the touchpad than AA. I tend to use the steering wheel controls on new unfamiliar vehicles (like rentals), and AA works great using them vs the touch pad. I like to leave the lit prompt on the microphone, and just tap it to use verbal commands for locations and music as needed...
Old 11-27-2023, 02:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ScrottoBaggins
Just got our 21 a few days ago and the radio is a bit much at first. As most state, the Acura interface is much better with the touchpad than AA. I tend to use the steering wheel controls on new unfamiliar vehicles (like rentals), and AA works great using them vs the touch pad. I like to leave the lit prompt on the microphone, and just tap it to use verbal commands for locations and music as needed...
Why not just say "OK Google" ? It works everytime I say it..
Old 11-27-2023, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Why not just say "OK Google" ? It works everytime I say it..
Or hold down the speech button on the steering wheel to trigger a prompt.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:09 PM
Drifting

Or hold down the speech button on the steering wheel to trigger a prompt.
I thought that was only for the car voice prompts (Acura Nav, Phone,etc) , not Android Auto ?
Old 11-27-2023, 05:44 PM
Advanced

I thought that was only for the car voice prompts (Acura Nav, Phone,etc) , not Android Auto ?
Hit the button once for car voice prompts, hold and release for Android Auto voice prompt regardless of what screen you're currently on. Very convenient.
SilverJ (11-28-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 02:59 PM
Pro

I've got a loaner 2024 MDX right now while my RDX gets its rear window replaced and the touchpad and the whole infotainment system is much improved compared to my 2019 - it's actually usable which it isn't on my 2019. It's quick and responsive - it's not quite iPad fast but it seems just quick enough that I don't end up swiping twice for everything (the second swipe due to me thinking the system didn't register my first swipe). The touchpad is still too small on the MDX though - they should have taken a page from Apple's laptops and made the pad twice the size.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:09 PM
Drifting

Hit the button once for car voice prompts, hold and release for Android Auto voice prompt regardless of what screen you're currently on. Very convenient.
TY! This is very cool and I will use this method from now on! I always felt kind of dumb shouting "OK GOOGLE" in my car over my music...lol.
quikj (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 04:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by supafamous
I've got a loaner 2024 MDX right now while my RDX gets its rear window replaced and the touchpad and the whole infotainment system is much improved compared to my 2019 - it's actually usable which it isn't on my 2019. It's quick and responsive - it's not quite iPad fast but it seems just quick enough that I don't end up swiping twice for everything (the second swipe due to me thinking the system didn't register my first swipe). The touchpad is still too small on the MDX though - they should have taken a page from Apple's laptops and made the pad twice the size.
I assume that is the same that is in the 2023 RDX...Personally I don't really notice any lag -its not as quick as my phone but more than useable.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:24 PM
Pro

I assume that is the same that is in the 2023 RDX...Personally I don't really notice any lag -its not as quick as my phone but more than useable.
Yeah, I would guess the refreshed RDX got an updated CPU as well for more speed. My 2019's speed is just terrible, like using a 10 year old Android tablet.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by supafamous
Yeah, I would guess the refreshed RDX got an updated CPU as well for more speed. My 2019's speed is just terrible, like using a 10 year old Android tablet.
Yes...I did read something about that. Updated processor in the 2022+ models...
Old 12-02-2023, 06:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
I have no complaints with my 2019 RDX infotainment. It’s fast enough and it gets the job done. Not sure how people are expecting an i9 5ghz CPU in a car that will 99% only play music and show maps. It doesn’t take more than a fraction of a second to complete any command. After a few days I understood it well and I can often get it to do whatever I need it do, even while driving and barely looking at the trackpad. I think there’s worse infotainments out there (Lexus movable thumb rest cursor, Mazda and BMW rotating knob, Toyotas out of reach touchscreen). I think the infotainment hate is just a bandwagon, there’s much more important features of the car that DO perform well and are often overlooked.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dochorahan:
Funz51 (12-02-2023), SG103 (12-04-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 08:02 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Dochorahan
there’s much more important features of the car that DO perform well and are often overlooked.
Sure but that's a very personalized decision. I've preorder the replacement for my 2019 RDX and the infotainment system is the primary reason. I have a 1 hour RT commute and I like to listen to podcasts. As many others have mentioned, using the system with Android Auto is a trainwreck unless you're simply given it a voice command to navigate somewhere and that's it. Using it for something like a podcast app where you need to interact frequently with the UI means that I don't notice the other positive features of the car such as the drivability and the AWD because I'm constantly focused on trying to interact with Android Auto through the infotainment system. As far as I'm concerned Acura ruined a great car with this infotainment system.
The following 2 users liked this post by jeffcarp94:
RDX10 (12-06-2023), supafamous (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 11:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jeffcarp94
Sure but that's a very personalized decision. I've preorder the replacement for my 2019 RDX and the infotainment system is the primary reason. I have a 1 hour RT commute and I like to listen to podcasts. As many others have mentioned, using the system with Android Auto is a trainwreck unless you're simply given it a voice command to navigate somewhere and that's it. Using it for something like a podcast app where you need to interact frequently with the UI means that I don't notice the other positive features of the car such as the drivability and the AWD because I'm constantly focused on trying to interact with Android Auto through the infotainment system. As far as I'm concerned Acura ruined a great car with this infotainment system.
That sucks. But definitely a 2019 thing...not the case on my 2023. I use AA all the time on podcasts and it will skip ahead/skip back as needed. Its flawless.
1st year model redesigns always have initial issues unfortunately.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:45 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
I can't stand the touchpad and I've been using one for about 5 years now. It adds a level of abstraction from the screen and I feel that takes away a little bit of attention from the road. Plus it's really inaccurate, this is most noted with Android Auto where flicks and slides are just painfully inaccurate. Best example I can give is when going through a route list on Waze it just skips up to the top or bottom and it's a major pain to make it only go up one route at a time. I've tried both high and low sensitivity and both kind of suck. Would love to just have a simple touchscreen I can directly tap or swipe, or better yet have both which I think a few other oems have.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:07 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by rdxny
If you use android Auto (I use WAZE, for example), the touchpad doesn't work the same way. It no longer mirrors the place you put your fingertip on the pad, and since there is no cursor, you have no idea where you are on a screen until you highlight a button or some other screen item. You have to move around willy nilly until something lights up, then you know where you are (for that moment) .
Makes working with WAZE in AA horrible.
It's even worse than that. You sort of expect some sort of grid with elements falling into the X or Y axis. But when selecting some stuff on the far/lower left they don't follow this grid and you have to slide all the way to the right, slide all the way down, then slide to the left in order to highlight some of these elements, I note this in particular with Waze. Also many things are not intuitive, when an alert comes up instead of highlighting yes/no if you touch the touchpad it goes somewhere else.