Why RDX over CX-5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 01:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by dblwishbone
Honda does not do rear wheel drive, except for the NSX.
Yes, and that in there is a bit of a predicament when comparing a base (FWD) RDX with a base (RWD) CX-5 with regards to "luxury".

Though I guess at this point, non-purists probably don't care, given how Audi and Lexus are primarily FWD-based as well for their volume selling cars.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:26 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Looks like the RDX is going to have some real competition from the CX-5 soon.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/30/...-5-luxury-car/

Hopefully Acura isn't just sitting on their hands. RWD, straight-six, and a mild hybrid system are all things the RDX does not have.
The RDX probably won't get anything dramatic for at least another 2-3yrs when the next gen is released. But, looking at the new MDX, the future seems promising. Though, I sort of question that article ... the author doesn't even know the difference between the X5 and X3. Clearly, the CX-5 is going to be going after the X3, not the X5 ... hence why its also being compared to the GLC rather than the GLE.

Originally Posted by anoop
We have to see if the Mazda can address seat comfort. Without seat comfort, there is no luxury.
They likely will. They addressed complaints about NVH from the 1G. Seat comfort is subjective as well. I sat in it, albeit, for only a short period of time, and found them to be fine. I'm 6' with an athletic frame (210lbs). Yes, the RDX seats are more comfortable, but I didn't have anything bad to say about the CX-5. It's certainly a smaller car. That being said, everyone on here is sick of me complaining about the interior build quality of a purported luxury brand. Mazda certainly seems to be edging towards something appearing to be an entry level luxury brand. It'll take some time for people's perception of the brand to catch up and it'll be interesting to see if it pays off.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
The RDX probably won't get anything dramatic for at least another 2-3yrs when the next gen is released. But, looking at the new MDX, the future seems promising. Though, I sort of question that article ... the author doesn't even know the difference between the X5 and X3. Clearly, the CX-5 is going to be going after the X3, not the X5 ... hence why its also being compared to the GLC rather than the GLE.

They likely will. They addressed complaints about NVH from the 1G. Seat comfort is subjective as well. I sat in it, albeit, for only a short period of time, and found them to be fine. I'm 6' with an athletic frame (210lbs). Yes, the RDX seats are more comfortable, but I didn't have anything bad to say about the CX-5. It's certainly a smaller car. That being said, everyone on here is sick of me complaining about the interior build quality of a purported luxury brand. Mazda certainly seems to be edging towards something appearing to be an entry level luxury brand. It'll take some time for people's perception of the brand to catch up and it'll be interesting to see if it pays off.
Apparently the X5 and GLC comparison was a quote from a Mazda official.
「ベンツGLC、BMW X5に匹敵するプレミアムSUVになります」と、マツダ関係者は新型CX-5の目指すところを明らかにする。
Translated to English:
"It will be a premium SUV comparable to the Mercedes-Benz GLC and BMW X5," Mazda officials reveal the goals of the new CX-5.
So maybe size wise it slots in right between the two. That would make sense, as an upstart premium offering would need to be value oriented. Compact pricing for something that's somewhere between compact and midsize is taking a page right out of the Acura playbook.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:36 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Apparently the X5 and GLC comparison was a quote from a Mazda official.

Translated to English:

So maybe size wise it slots in right between the two. That would make sense, as an upstart premium offering would need to be value oriented. Compact pricing for something that's somewhere between compact and midsize is taking a page right out of the Acura playbook.
Maybe the Mazda rep misspoke? Either that, or they're killing off the CX-9. A CX-5 to X5 is quite an ambitious jump. I would think it'd be more realistic to pit it against the X3, which it's already smaller than. Making it larger will likely put it in line with the X3 and GLC. Then again, they say the upcoming CX-50 will be aiming at the X6, so maybe the people over at Mazda have just taken a fistful of Adderall and Hennessy and are aiming for the moon.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:07 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I’ve said it here before, on paper I’d buy the CX-5 all day long. If I were forced to choose without any test drives I’d pick Mazda. I took multiple long test drives in the CX5 and just couldn’t get comfortable in the drivers seat. I’m 6ft and 200 lbs. the car itself just felt a bit cramped. The RDX was a bit bigger and more comfortable. I put about 22k miles a year on my car so comfort is important to me. After a year, I’m still very happy with my RDX, but when it comes time to replace it I will certainly take another look at the CX-5 to see where it’s at.
The following users liked this post:
katalina (12-02-2020)